• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "What could Rare do next?" "I'm still partial to Battletoads"

i thought that Crytek is already working on Battletoads.

ryyoqu54.gif

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm surprised this seems to be flying over many people's heads. Have people in this thread actually played battletoads

derFeef

Banjo please. Battletoads is cool and all, but I want my Rare platformer with delecious graphics. I can only imagine what Rare can do on new hardware *drool*

Silky

Banned
No Seavor, no Conker sadly.

Anyway...Platinum developed Battletoads? Done by the MadWorld/Anarchy team? OH BABY.

Bundy

Banned
It was developed by Rare (not sure if they were the publishers or not), but i'd imagine it is their IP
Nah, I think not. Rare was just the developer, I guess.
I loved Battletoads! So a year ago, I looked after the ownership of the IP.
So it seems like "Tradewest" is the owner of the Battletoads IP.
Tradewest got acquired by Midway Games.
Midway Games got acquired by Warner Bros.
So Warner Bros. has the IP as it seems.

Anyways.... Rare isn't Rare anymore.
All the old talent is gone. So..... it doesn't matter who's gonna make a new Battletoads :/

Krakn3Dfx

Anyone find it funny that the mentions the reaction to Killer Instinct when Rare isn't even involved in the development?

"What can Rare do next?"

"What they do every night Pinky, continue to make Kinect titles while we farm their IPs to other studios!"

It's like he's trying to connect the new KI to Rare too fool the uninformed into thinking Rare is actually making it.

Basically, who knows what other Rare IPs they can farm out to 3rd party studios? Could be anything, right?

Hindle

Banned
Rare will be splitting into different teams after Kinect Sports has finished development. Maybe one of those teams is working on Battletoads?

smh. The reaction made Phil Spencer "think"? It's not immediately obvious people want Rare to do games that Rare was famous for?

honestly - theyve missed the boat on battletoads imo

theres zero relevance in todays society...maybe if a cartoon was put out or something then yeah...

thats like releasing a goonies game...

A proper platformer is something rare should be capable off right guys?

At this point I don't know. Nuts & Bolts had actually pretty fun platforming, so 2008 Rare definitely could do it. They just chose to focus on the vehicle creation system instead. By now so much of their talent has left I don't know if they can actually do it today, but I hate that MS isn't even giving them a chance, with platforming or any other games they were known for.

Ushae

Banned
At this point I don't know. Nuts & Bolts had actually pretty fun platforming, so 2008 Rare definitely could do it. They just chose to focus on the vehicle creation system instead. By now so much of their talent has left I don't know if they can actually do it today, but I hate that MS isn't even giving them a chance, with platforming or any other games they were known for.

All they need to do is stick to classical platforming, introduce a few extras like Kinect puzzles etc and keep the same stellar production values the original was known for. It'd be a hit. Deviating from a working formula is silly, while I appreciate what Nuts & Bolts tried to achieve, it didn't add to the franchise.

Addest

Neo Member
A Jetforce Gemini sequel would be pretty cool.

Update it with realistic graphics
More realistic and extreme gore
More bug types
Multiplayer support
Brown and bloom

........ wait....

Let Rare die in peace

Top Bottom