• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

bit Generations official thread

Jonnyram

bitgenbox4xg.gif

bit Generations started life as the Digitylish series, a collection of simplistic but very artistic games for the Game Boy Advance. We first heard about it when a bunch of odd names were trademarked by Nintendo Japan at the start of 2005. Later the series turned up in an interview with someone at Nintendo Europe. An exhibition was held in Tokyo in April/May this year and now the games are finally being released.

series one 2006.7.13
dotstream
boundish
dialhex

series two 2006.7.27
coloris
orbital
digidrive
soundvoyager

2000 yen each

Monitor campaign
Nintendo is starting a monitor campaign in Japan, applications being accepted up to 15 June, and 700 people will receive two random games from the collection to check out and comment on the bit Generations BBS (to open later). The campaign will run from 1 July to 12 August. details here

Developed by
digidrive is made by Q-Games (Dylan Cuthbert) in Kyoto.
Most of the other titles are developed by Skip in Tokyo.
Cornelius has also worked on some of the series, though it is not known what he has provided. link

Further reading
Screenshots up the wazoo here.

SuperPac

Games look supercool. Wonder if Ninty would bring this series to the US? I love budget-priced software.

be great if they did similar promotion here but thats doubtful at best. DIGIDRIVE looks interesting and the whole concept is pretty intriguing. just wish is was being done with a compelling set of DS software instead.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah what is this all about? I keep hearing it mentioned but have absolutely no clue.

What else is new? :p

Jonnyram

I suck at making official threads.
OK, I'll put in some info in the first post for people who don't know what the hell I'm going on about :)
Hang on a few minutes.

that one shmup on DS looked really neat. what's soundvoyager?

seems like nintendo is totally embracing this after all.

i expect them to put their money were their mouth is when it comes to indie games on Wii.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
That's better Jonny.

Looks really nice and interesting, I hope it comes to the US. Otherwise I might import some of'em.

Shiggy

dotstream - Dotstream (formerly known as dotliner)
boundish - Boundish (formerly known as Neopong)
dialhex - Rotohex
coloris - Chromatron (?)
orbital - Orbiter (formerly probably known as Eyeball)
digidrive - Chromatron (?)
soundvoyager - Sound Voyager

The ESRB only lists 6 games of this collection, what means that I don't know whether Coloris or Digidrive ist called Chromatron.

jesusraz

2,000Yen ~ £9.50. Hmm, so after VAT they'd probably retail at at £14.99 each here. Don't know if I'd be willing to pay that much...

I'm guessing there's not too much text in these, from the looks of it. So it might be worth importing, especially Skip's efforts.

Thanks for the info Jonny! Been dying for new info on the games since forever. Even if they do come out in America, which I hope, I'll still be getting the Japanese release since you know the packaging will be extra hot.

jgkspsx

Dotstream, Digidrive, and Orbital look the best. SoundVoyager intrigues me the most, and if it lives up to its name it's my most likely purchase. Coloris looks to be an evolution of the Tiger Electronics classic Lights Out, which could be fun. $20 seems real, real steep, though, unless there's significantly more content than has been implied.

Edit: God, I love the graphics.

Jonnyram

Here's a comparison shot to show how small the bit Generations boxes are:

boxcomparison9jk.gif

Also, the games come with special GBm straps - not sure if this is an Amazon-only deal or not, though.

B000G6DY6U.09.IN06._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65228167_.jpg

wow, I hadn't heard about this at all--sounds interesting; I'm looking forward to hearing more about these.

neopong and dotliner have some interesting style.

psy18

Jonnyram said:
Here's a comparison shot to show how small the bit Generations boxes are:

boxcomparison9jk.gif

Also, the games come with special GBm straps - not sure if this is an Amazon-only deal or not, though.

B000G6DY6U.09.IN06._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65228167_.jpg

OMG my eyes are burning!

Shiggy

Hmm,
I think I'll buy dotstream, BOUNDISH and DIGIDRIVE for less than EUR 50, that's a great deal imo (each of them costs EUR 20 in Europe, at least if the release won't cancelled)

How does Soundvoyager work?

aku:jiki

imastalker co. said:
that one shmup on DS looked really neat.
Which one is that?

These look hot. I was about to order them all when I saw Jonny's release dates. I especially like Dotstream...

RaidenZR

So umm, this isn't coming out in the US, is it? Despite initial reports?

Okay Dialhex looks really cool and the music for all three is badass. I wish these were a touch cheaper to import. I'd like them all but that is a little much considering the expense.

These games look cool and everything, but am I the only one who thinks all these games should be on one cart? :) Hopefully NOA will collect them all on one cart and release them over here.

CreatureX3 said:
These games look cool and everything, but am I the only one who thinks all these games should be on one cart? :) Hopefully NOA will collect them all on one cart and release them over here.

I second that thought.

RaidenZR

So if one were to only pick one of these to import right now, which do you guys think would be a decent bet? I can't decide.

gururoji

RaidenZR said:
So if one were to only pick one of these to import right now, which do you guys think would be a decent bet? I can't decide.

Who knows, they all look interesting--go check out that website and watch the How To Play movies and such and see what you think.

My opinion:

Dotstream: I understand this one the least, and thus I feel like it has the most potential to be a sleeper hit. Choose this one if you want to take a chance.

Boundish: looks like it could be great multiplayer, but solo? Hmmmph...get it if you have a friend that wants to.

Dialhex: Looks the most solid/obviously interesting. Choose this one if you like puzzle games and don't want to take a chance.

agent069

Banned
gururoji said:
Dotstream: I understand this one the least, and thus I feel like it has the most potential to be a sleeper hit. Choose this one if you want to take a chance.

It's just a racer, you drive one of the dot/line against the others.

Boundish seems to be pretty boring, it looks like a pong with a tons of skins, I hope it's better than it looks.

Emotions

I like Dotstream and Diahlex. Boundish has a cool look but not as interesting as the others. I hope they announce an US date for them.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Definitely picking up Dotstream and Dialhex today; probably going to pass on Boundish. It just looks like it would get old within minutes. :/

Top Bottom