• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

bit Generations official thread

Elta

Please give some Dotsteam impressions, it looks to be the best of the first bunch, the videos make it look like a lot of fun, and quite different from any other game. The other two look more like pong and a standard puzzle game.

Jonnyram

OK, played all three of the first bunch now.

dotstream: You choose which colour you want to race as and race against six other dots. Best way to describe it is a dot version of F-Zero. You lose a bit of speed for moving up or down, you lose shield for hitting obstacles, there are turbo ramps you can hit for a speed boost and there are items you can pick up for temporary invulnerability etc. You can't have two dots racing on the same line, so the dot who is behind will get moved to the next space above or below, depending on the last direction change. There are a number of GPs and each GP has five races where you get 10 pts for first place, 8pts for second etc. Typical Nintendo fare.

Dialhex: It's like a tricky version of Hexic, with style nods to Lumines. Really nice sound fx when you complete hexagons. You start off with only two different colours of triangles dropping in, but as you complete hexagons (six of each colour), new colours start to drop in. This is not a game for the GAF colour blind massive. It starts off with green and orange and then the second new colour to drop in is a green not a million miles away from the original green. Eek.

Boundish: Five variations of Pong (snooze) and one awesome remake of the classic Juggler game. I'll be playing the hell out of that one and ignoring the Pong tables, probably.

It has to be stressed that the music in all of these is absolutely kick ass. I must try it with headphones, as recommended by Nintendo, because even on the DSlite speaker it sounds amazing.

bluemax

Banned
Jonnyram said:
OK, played all three of the first bunch now.

dotstream: You choose which colour you want to race as and race against six other dots. Best way to describe it is a dot version of F-Zero. You lose a bit of speed for moving up or down, you lose shield for hitting obstacles, there are turbo ramps you can hit for a speed boost and there are items you can pick up for temporary invulnerability etc. You can't have two dots racing on the same line, so the dot who is behind will get moved to the next space above or below, depending on the last direction change. There are a number of GPs and each GP has five races where you get 10 pts for first place, 8pts for second etc. Typical Nintendo fare.

Dialhex: It's like a tricky version of Hexic, with style nods to Lumines. Really nice sound fx when you complete hexagons. You start off with only two different colours of triangles dropping in, but as you complete hexagons (six of each colour), new colours start to drop in. This is not a game for the GAF colour blind massive. It starts off with green and orange and then the second new colour to drop in is a green not a million miles away from the original green. Eek.

Boundish: Five variations of Pong (snooze) and one awesome remake of the classic Juggler game. I'll be playing the hell out of that one and ignoring the Pong tables, probably.

It has to be stressed that the music in all of these is absolutely kick ass. I must try it with headphones, as recommended by Nintendo, because even on the DSlite speaker it sounds amazing.

Sounds sweet, I might pick them all up for just the music cause I love old style chip tunes. How many songs per game? Just one?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Okay, back from doing my thursday game release rounds. Ended up picking up all three games, since they were priced at 1700 yen each (I thought they were 2500 yen each), and I sold off 5900 yen worth of games, so I figured what the hell. Also when I saw the boxes, I knew I was going to end up getting the entire series of these bit Generations games.

Had to pick up Loco Roco and Sarugetchu Million Monkeys, too. :)

Anyway, I'll play a bit and then post my thoughts!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Real quick:

dotstream- Fun, good stuff! :) Like Joohnnyram already said, it has a bit of an F-Zero with an overhead view feel. I'll definitely be spending some time with this one; it's an incredibly simplistic, but fun little game.

Dialhex- Not bad; uninspired, but good. Basic hex-based rotating puzzler with nice music.

Boundish- Boringish. Just like a figured, it gets old quick. I don't like the music that much either. The other two games have some nice BGMs; this game is just boops and beeps. Boundish itself seems very old school, like something out of the Atari era, so that may appeal to some people.

jgkspsx

Hmm, Dotstream sounds pretty convincing. Every game in series 2 looks better than the other two in this one, though.

fr4nz

The box of those games seem to be different than other games ...
any pictures of them somewhere please ?

They were given ratings in the US ages before they came out.

The GBA support in the US is even worse than in Japan though, so I can't see them coming out.

Ulthwe

Anyone knows this games availability? I'm going to Japan in September / October and I'd like to buy them then.

fr4nz said:
The box of those games seem to be different than other games ...
any pictures of them somewhere please ?

From Yahoo Japan Auctions:

ivsymbols-img600x450-1152800205p1030488.jpg

ivsymbols-img600x450-1152800216p1030489.jpg

I wonder what's that grey thing in the back's flap.

Soundvoyager looks odd to say the least. Is there any impressions on it? I know there's that official Nintendo site where people post, but guess what? I don't speak Japanese. Can anybody that does find out some super cool awesome info?

jgkspsx

In case anyone can't figure out what they're seeing, Soundvoyager consists of a dot doing something in relation to other dots. The other dots can be located by sound. When you first start, the other dots are visible, but within a short time period they fade away.

I was really excited about this one due to the promising name, but I didn't really have Sound Cock in mind, you know? The minigames they showed just didn't seem fun -- I was hoping for a music-based game, sort of a first-person Otocky that wasn't broken (i.e. GBA Rez). Ah well.

Edit: Digidrive looks pretty disappointing. Well, it's hard to say, since I have no idea how it works, but it looks like you direct traffic with the D-pad... and that's it? Sheesh.

I had thought Coloris was a Lights Out clone, but it seems like a broken-looking Bejeweled clone instead.

Orbital looks like all kinds of awesome, though, and possibly has the best soundtrack. I think it and Dotstream will be the only bitGenerations games I pick up.

I'm gonna be forced to get them all. I've been playing a little Dotstream and it's really fun. And the music is ****ing awesome. Do we know who's composing this stuff or anything?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i reeeeeeeally hope this is the kind of original stuff we will see on wiis VC.

i love bitstream and boundish would be really awesome multi.

I guess a lot depends on how well these games do. Even if they only sell 20,000 or so between them, when you take the budget in mind it should at least be encouraging for Nintendo that it's worth doing on Wii - especially as they wouldn't have to worry about packaging, distribution or that shit.

I just got my copy of Dotstream. The game boxes are even smaller than I expected. I took some pics, but I only had my mobile so they're kinda blury.

I got Boundish too. It's not bad so far, only played for 5 minutes or so. The first game on the menu (the one that's kinda like pong with bubbles) is really pretty easy. Box Juggling is like something from Game & Watch. Haven't played the 3 other modes yet.

jgkspsx

I ordered Dotstream and Orbital from YesAsia. $19 each, free shipping, and they've always done right by me.

I'm still keeping my eye on Soundvoyager and Digidrive. I hope they're better than they look...

Baron

I just ordered Dotstream and Coloris from Yes Asia. Only $32 total for the two, after coupon, with free shipping, which is a great deal.

I was going to get Digidrive instead of Coloris, until I watched the Coloris vids on the bit generations site. Coloris looks awesome, like a tiny, super-colorful hybrid of Bejeweled and Lumines, with kick-ass music and sound.

I'm really looking forward to playing these on my Famicom Micro.

Coloris screens:

h-104_52873_bit04.jpg.jpg

h-103_51747_27.jpg.jpg

Baron

How difficult is it to figure the game out? It looks like it is mostly, if not all, in English.

Lee N

Membre
I got the first three games in the bit Generations series today, and I'm having a ton of fun with Dotstream. The only thing that could have made that game better is multiplayer, still a great singleplayer game though.

I have barely touched Dialhex and Boundish so far, gonna play them a bit more tomorrow.

Shiggy

I just finished dotstream (well, not the last Grand Prix, but every coursein Spot Race). The credits and the formation mode are lame imo.

Boundish seems to make much more fun.

Bebpo

Banned
Got dialhex. Seems like a fun solid puzzle game, but oh man the music is so good they should have called it dialsex! I kept playing on just to hear the new beats. Kinda reminds me of Lumines :)

mutsu

Baron said:
I just ordered Dotstream and Coloris from Yes Asia. Only $32 total for the two, after coupon, with free shipping, which is a great deal.

What coupons did you have?

B'z-chan

Banned
I'm more excited for these games than anything right now i dont know why the hell that is but i've got to wait till next week to order them.

I hope some of you get the new ones that came out yesterday/today i wanna hear some impression.

Thus far out of the new ones i know i will get Colours and from the looks Orbital. The other two are some what confusing as what your suppost to do.

I know i'm getting Dotstream and Dialhex which look great.

I really hope nintendo brings these out in the state somehow. Hell put it all on one DS cart and have it available for special order or something (electroplankton style) 25 bucks per game is a little steep but thats what i get from importing.

DAMN YOU NINTENDO and your simple intriguing games. Next i'll be buying that damn DS cookbook even though i dont know a lick of japanese.

I got dotstream and so far, the gameplay is decent, but the music is awesome. Winning just seems to be a matter of memorizing the track, but I guess you can say that about a lot of racing games.

I didn't realize this till the 3rd Sonic GP track, but if you go into the little hallway the arrows point to right before the finish/start line (it has a diamond at the bottom of the screen) you can gain extra lives/charges while you stay in there. I think 9 is the max, but you can press B to stop charging and just go.

phil_fish

i just ordered the 2nd series from yes asia... still waiting for the 1st from lik-sang.

cant wait.
the whole philosophy behind the label is very similar to what me and my friends are doing on an indy game project. so i justify this huge expanse by saying its research. which it kinda is.

good thing they were so cheap.

jgkspsx

They're not that cheap :\

Anyway, the lesson here: simple geometric designs and chip music are great, but complete and varied content is needed, too.

Ulthwe

Bebpo said:
Got dialhex. Seems like a fun solid puzzle game, but oh man the music is so good they should have called it dialsex! I kept playing on just to hear the new beats. Kinda reminds me of Lumines :)
I really dig the music BUT there's a problem with my eyes: I'm (kinda, not fully) colorblind, and when the third color (yellow?) drops I can't form any more hexagons because I get confused with green. I really didn't know that there was another color in place until I started making hexagons and they didn't disappear! I even used an emu and Photoshop color drop to make sure that they where numerically different.
That's sad because I want to hear all the music.

Here's my take:

Boundish: Boriiiing. Played through the modes quickly, didn't really want to go back. Borred.
Dotstream: It's alright, but, it's just not fun to play. I'm sitting here mainly just hitting up and down without really caring, as I'm really finding no enjoyment in it.
Dialhex: my favourite of the first series - it's pretty fun, can be challenging, but the colours are too similar.

Bebpo

Banned
Ulthwe said:
I really dig the music BUT there's a problem with my eyes: I'm (kinda, not fully) colorblind, and when the third color (yellow?) drops I can't form any more hexagons because I get confused with green. I really didn't know that there was another color in place until I started making hexagons and they didn't disappear! I even used an emu and Photoshop color drop to make sure that they where numerically different.
That's sad because I want to hear all the music.

Yeah, I didn't notice the extra colors at first either. They should have made them more distinct like using red or blue :\ I can definitely see the game being problematic if you have have the slightest color distinction problems >_<.

mutsu

OK now that both series is out...

If I can only get 1 out of the 7 games in the series, which one would be the best pick? And WHY?

Top Bottom