• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bit Generations is the new nintendo

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
After having the pleasure to play all three of these games i have to say this is EXACTLY what i want out of gaming.

Each of these games has the music, the style and the gameplay wrapped up in one nice package. The only lacking game so far is boundish, which is still a great collection of interesting takes on pong. single player kind of sucks but i assume the multi is tons of fun.

Everyone interested in a different type of game should seek these out and eventually play every single one of them. Im glad to see the soul of a dead sega living in atleast one company these days. If nintendo can manage to deliver this kind of stuff on the VC i will be more than happy to pay for em. Nintendo is managing to make gaming cool with these titles and i dont mean cool with 17 year old football team members.

watch movies for the games at nintendos website
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/bit_g/index.html

Lee N

Membre
Still waiting for my copies to arrive from Japan, but I'm gonna have to agree with you anyway even though I haven't played them yet.

I've been excited about these ever since they were announced at E3 2005, they look incredibly stylish.

agent069

Banned
I don't mind short game or concept game, but the price is really a concern here. They should have sold the 7 game in one cartidge, 20$ is too much for so little games.

Lee N

Membre
agent069 said:
I don't mind short game or concept game, but the price is really a concern here. They should have sold the 7 game in one cartidge, 20$ is too much for so little games.
I don't think Nintendo intend for people to buy all 7, it's an experiment on their part. It's about finding that one game that interests you the most and buy that, It's easier for people to pay 2000 yen for one game than to pay the full 4800 yen for 7 games they know nothing about.

Then there are nerds like myself who are going to buy all seven anyway, but that's beside the point.

Stryder

This is exactly the direction I think gaming has been lacking, game play back to it's core. I really wanna try out these titles.

Jonnyram

dotstream really is the dog's bollocks.
And it's rock hard too - I'm still struggling with the intermediate GPs.
Better play some Dialhex to chill out for a bit.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Jonnyram said:
dotstream really is the dog's bollocks.
And it's rock hard too - I'm still struggling with the intermediate GPs.
Better play some Dialhex to chill out for a bit.

indeed, i really underestimated the difficulty in bitstream, here i am thinking the game has no depth and BAM. also formation mode rocks.

Dialhex i was just expecting to be hexic but im glad to report its 10 times the game hexic wishes it was. love the music.

meppi

Glad to hear all the positive impressions. I'll be getting all of them eventually.

It's just that I've ordered a whole bunch of Japanese games for my long summer break. So I'm gotta have to wait a couple of weeks before picking these up.
By then the others will have been released. :)

These pick up and play simple arcade type of games are the ones that keep pulling me back in whenever I get bored of the normal 30+ hour adventure/action games.

The more simple arcade style games are released, the happier I'll be.

Keep em comming! ;)

I'm really enjoying Dotstream. I've got Boundish as well. It's kinda easy, although Wild Go Round is pretty tricky.

Dotstream is the star of the bunch though. Awesome music, great gameplay, and original and traditional at the same time. I uploaded an MP3 here.

sp0rsk said:
indeed, i really underestimated the difficulty in bitstream, here i am thinking the game has no depth and BAM. also formation mode rocks.

Dialhex i was just expecting to be hexic but im glad to report its 10 times the game hexic wishes it was. love the music.

Yeah, I thought it was easy after the first GP. Now I'm ****ed.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really want to pick up dotstream. May do it this weekend. Can`t wait. :D

Probably not, GBA support isn't great.

The games are 100% English though. So don't worry about that. Play Asia got mine here in 5 days, at less than £15 each.

Shiggy

Kroole said:
How fast is their shipping?

It says 7-14 days, but it depends on the shipping service I'd guess.

I really wonder why Eyeball was scrapped from this brilliant series :(
At least Q-Games Digidrive, which looks promising, made it into it.

Fabiollo

sp0rsk said:
The only lacking game so far is boundish, which is still a great collection of interesting takes on pong. single player kind of sucks but i assume the multi is tons of fun.

I agree, but the juggling thing is freakin' awesome. Maybe it's because i'm a little into real juggling, but I can't stop playing it. After seeing it, I decided to buy a Micro.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
stupid question...

do these play well using the ds lite?

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Matrix said:
stupid question...

QFT.

TheGreatDave said:
Probably not, GBA support isn't great.

The games are 100% English though. So don't worry about that. Play Asia got mine here in 5 days, at less than £15 each.

I will check. Good to know they are in english :)

I prefer playing them on the Lite to the Micro or SP. Mainly because of the speakers. The brighter screen helps a bit, but it's not the main issue.

Anyone here doesn't mind to use BITGENERATION Club Nintendo Codes?

I have New Super Mario Bros JPN code to exchange with Dialhex + Boundish codes. Dotstream i will pickup by myself, so I don't need this code.

I just played a bit of Boundish, Juggling is fun. I totally got caught off guard when the second block started falling though (hence the juggling) and ended up getting Game Over.

*back to play again*

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
So do you recon Dotstream is worth it for the price?

Also can you tell us what you actually do in it and if their are any other modes of play.

Cheers
AJ

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Just ordered a copy of Dotstream,cant wait :D

Shiggy

A_Lee_N said:
there probably wasn't any gameplay in the e3 05 trailer.. just a proof of concept.

Well, then the concepts are quite different. You might take a look at the trailer again, because it clearly shows no real difference for the other games beside the menus.
And if you look at Digidrive, it was finished in April 2005. Right after that development of StarFox Command began.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I've been having fun with Dotstream, though I don't really understand how to speed up without using "powers" so to speak. But it's way cool. Dialhex... not so much.

axxxj said:

Also can you tell us what you actually do in it and if their are any other modes of play.

Cheers
AJ

OK, basically, there's the 6 lines on screen at once. At the start of each race, you always inevitably end up in last place, because you go slower than the rest of the lines. You don't control anything other than when the line goes up and when it goes down (you can break though).

The only way you can catch up is by drifting one of the lines. You need to get your line as close as possible to another one, either directly above or below it. When you do, a bar at the bottom fills up. As it fills up, you go faster. However, because there's shit all over the courses that you have to avoid, it's not as easy as just drifting next to one line. Because it doesn't count if you're moving upwards or downwards, only on straights. So you need to try and avoid everything on screen, spending as much time as possible in a straight line next to another line.

(breath)

One of the things that makes it all a bit tricky is that you can't have your line directly overlap another line for more than a second. If you do, you'll always get moved directly above or below it. On some of the later levels, this makes everything quite hard, as the paths can get quite narrow and it's hard to move around with percision.

There's 3 game modes, a GP, which is 5 tracks in a row with points depending on where you finish, Spot Race which is just like a time trial, and Formation, which I think is basically an endless level where you need to keep collecting power-ups to fill your meter, with the level changing as you do so. I've only played that mode twice though, so I haven't achieved much.

jgkspsx

These seem like good $5 downloadable titles, but as $20 stand-alone games, the majority of them seem to be guilty of everything Drinky & Co. accused the new Nintendo of being.

japtor

boundish is pretty crappy for the most part (multiplayer would help a lot though), dialhex is just really hard for me, and dotstream is awesome.

axxxj said:

definitely worth it. from what i can tell so far, there are 5 gps, with 5 races each, along with formation mode. when you win a gp, you earn a new ability in formation mode. so far i have one where the other lines follow your motion, and another where the lines line up with you and go the same speed. not that ive gotten more than one other line to show up. i suck at it. there are dots you have to pick up that fill up a segmented bar at the bottom, as you fill up a section, another line shows up. the bar runs down though, so i guess as you gain more lines, you have to increase your dot pick up rate. the abilities you gain from winning gp are necessary here. i dont know if i suck at it or its just hard.

as for the basic racing, heres what ive figured out. theres two bars at the bottom, the top one is your speed, and the bottom one is...something else. all i know is that its increased by being next to an opponents line and increases your own speed (sorta like drafting). theres a diamond thing on the lower left that seems to be your life and turbo, afaik its always set to 2. if you hit a solid object (the mushy offroad type sections only slow you down, and you just bounce off the top/bottom walls), it takes off a 'life', as does using the turbo (pressing r). sort of like fzero there basically. there are item pickups that are activated with a, i can remember 3 right now. one slows everything else down (looks like a step button on a dvd player), another makes you invulnerable (go through objects, looks like a star), and another that seems to just kill an upcoming moving block obstacle (lightning bolt). last things i saw were uh road thingys. boost pads, mucky things (slow you down for a little while after you hit them), and arrows that direct you for a bit. theres some evil placement of them, like a boost pad between two mucky things, or arrows pointing towards the muck, and the spaces between hitting them can be pretty tight. since you cant follow directly on line with another line, it can get pretty hectic trying to find an open spot away from all the bad stuff, but at the same time if youre away from another line for too long, you lose speed. its like if nascar had obstacle courses laid out on the track, gotta stay with the pack for speed, then a bunch of shit happens, then you gotta get back together to keep up.

obviously i spent too long writing out this incoherent post...greatdaves post wasnt there when i started this. oh yeah, also, brake is b. not that ive found a place to use it yet.

Bebpo

Banned
Sporsk hasn't let me down yet with his recommendations, so I think I will take the leap of faith and give Bit Generations a try.

I assumed it was just another gimmicky overpriced Nintendo thing, but it actually sounds like there is quality to make up for the price tag.

Dotstream is definitely the best of the 3 so far, and the other two are good. Dialhex is probably the worst, but then if you like puzzlers you make like it.

ant1532

Banned
sp0rsk said:
After having the pleasure to play all three of these games i have to say this is EXACTLY what i want out of gaming.

Each of these games has the music, the style and the gameplay wrapped up in one nice package. The only lacking game so far is boundish, which is still a great collection of interesting takes on pong. single player kind of sucks but i assume the multi is tons of fun.

Everyone interested in a different type of game should seek these out and eventually play every single one of them. Im glad to see the soul of a dead sega living in atleast one company these days. If nintendo can manage to deliver this kind of stuff on the VC i will be more than happy to pay for em. Nintendo is managing to make gaming cool with these titles and i dont mean cool with 17 year old football team members.

watch movies for the games at nintendos website
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/bit_g/index.html
As Amir0x said Nintendo is god

japtor

CO_Andy said:
Are these Mizuguchi-esque games?
all of them seem to have music or sound effects tied to what you do, and is on the electronicky sounding side of things, so uh, yeah i guess, if thats what youre referring to. dotstream has some awesome music, i dont remember if the other two even have much music.

Top Bottom