• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black female (non-stereotypical) protagonists in videogames?

Part 2, I suppose. My reasoning for splitting the topics in the first place was that there are a different set of stereotypes for black males and black females. Furthermore, this one usually leads to a bit more debate as to whether or not the character is black.

Anyways, the character must be the main one that you control. So, who?

Zukuu

Banned
Assassins Creed Liberation / Black Flag.
Aveline de Grandpre
ACLiberation-Aveline_CoverArt.png

DatDude

Banned
Lol there are hardly any black male protagonists in video games...let alone white females.

BLACK FEMALES?

Lol wut.

Gattsu25

Banned
D'arci Stern from Urban Chaos

A7PC1si.jpg

Hard to get a good image of her. The renders in PR material were poor but the renders during the loading screens were much better.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
yknow what seems like a mad underepped minority in games? brown people. i cant think of any games with indian dudes.

Gattsu25

Banned
Optional HARD MODE challenge (this applies for black males in games, as well): No body mutilation (e.g. demon/cyber arm, cyber eyes, etc.)

Still waiting to play as jewish female half-black half-Inuit with severe ADHD

Games really don't play to my preferred minority groups sigh

Nah in all seriousness the solution in my mind has always and will always be to create better main character customization (i.e. choose your gender/race etc.)

AND

then create the game to interact correctly with that character

It's hard, it's painful sure but it could be good

I guess the question is should race play a factor in deciding how the game world reacts to you or is that borderline racist?

Take a GTA-style game

If I can be any race, maybe I start as a lower tier member with one of the racially appropriate gangs? I mean to my limited knowledge most gangs aren't exactly racially diverse

So would that be racist to do in a game?

Obviously only if it makes sense in a game

otherwise allow custom main

Top Bottom