• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Reload Won't Include Content from FES or Portable, Including the Female Protagonist

Draugoth

Gold Member

"We wanted to really genuinely work on recreating the Persona 3 experience.

The Persona 3 remake has long been one of Atlus' worst-kept secrets, but Persona 3 Reload was finally officially announced at today's Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase. The game's first trailer showed combat and graphics updated to resemble Persona 5, but fans noticed that something big was missing.

Namely, Persona 3 Reload appears to miss the additional content from Persona 3 FES and Persona 3 Portable, which includes the option to play as the female protagonist. In an interview with IGN, Persona 3 Reload producer Ryota Niitsuma and chief director Kazuhisa Wada confirmed that Persona 3 Reload only features content present in the original release of Persona 3.

"So first I'd like to mention that since the basic concept of the Persona 3 remake was to remake the Persona 3, we don't have the FES and Portable contents included," Niitsuma said. "We wanted to really genuinely work on recreating the Persona 3 experience."

Persona 3 originally released on the PlayStation 2 in 2006. Persona 3 FES is a 2007 add-on disc with updates to the original game, while Persona 3 Portable is a PSP release that added features like directly controlling party members beyond the main character. The female protagonist also first appeared in Persona 3 Portable, but it seems players won't have the choice to play as her in Persona 3 Reload.

"So we can't really go into the details at this point yet, but we have remade basically everything from scratch as for Persona 3 the original version," Niitsuma said. "So we have newly recorded voices, we have new scenes and events. We also have both new and arranged music. We'll be kind of releasing that information, following everything. So please look forward to that."

Kilau

FyXhRRmWIAIxW71

That content will be in the next edition they sell you at full price.

*Edit: originally posted from mobile and the image was stupid big.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Instead, Niitsuma and Wada are focusing on the updates added to the original version of Persona 3 that make it more in line with Persona 5.

"So the basic concept of recreating the Persona story was that we wanted to keep everything from the original version, but update everything to the modern day," Wada said. "So at the same level of Persona 5, basically. So we have the newest graphics, we have updated the system to the newest usability… We have the voice lines in [both Japanese and English.] We also have the text available in 13 languages. So you should be able to have similar experiences to that of Persona 5."

Ok so there's no point to FES.

ProtoByte

Answer or otherwise, I'd prefer they just move onto P6 and actually make it different. Between this, that awfully titled Metaphor game and what's gonna end up being 10 years of P5 milking, I think they've gotta switch up the style.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Answer or otherwise, I'd prefer they just move onto P6 and actually make it different. Between this, that awfully titled Metaphor game and what's gonna end up being 10 years of P5 milking, I think they've gotta switch up the style.

They are. P6 has been in development the day P5 launched. You thin kthey are just ignoring P6 to release this stuff? No - that would be retarded. They are releasing this stuff to tide fans over while they work on the next major release. Or would you prefer absolutely nothing between releases for 10 years?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
guess im waiting for the inevitable remake 2 years later of the actual version of the game people want to buy.

This is like how I cottoned onto pokemon after Pokemon Yellow and Crystal as a kid, I would not buy the title on launch and instead get the better version later on when they inevitably released that.

Last edited:

killatopak

There is no point in FES with the updates to the gameplay they had done since FES' release. The Answer was also terrible and most fans hate it. Not really a big loss.
But that's like removing Marie from P4G but at same time taking away the Ski Trip and Halloween sections.

Last edited:

Gorgon

If this is something to sell us on P3Reload Indigo Imperial or some shit I'll be so mad.

You better start taking those pills because that's precisely what they're gonna do.

There is no point in FES with the updates to the gameplay they had done since FES' release. The Answer was also terrible and most fans hate it. Not really a big loss.

Let's hope those gameplay updates are really in the Remake. I'm betting they are but with Atlus you never know and it's always better to get confirmation.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
But that's like removing Marie from P4G but at same time taking away the Ski Trip and Halloween sections.

That would only improve the game, to be fair.

But meh. A few side content isn't really that important for the story or narrative. Royal felt bloated as well with its added content. I am of the opinion that the original releases tend to be the best paced.

ProtoByte

They are. P6 has been in development the day P5 launched. You thin kthey are just ignoring P6 to release this stuff? No - that would be retarded. They are releasing this stuff to tide fans over while they work on the next major release. Or would you prefer absolutely nothing between releases for 10 years?
That's false framing: There's no excuse for why a 6th Persona game should take 10 years. Maybe if they spent more time dedicated to that project than continuing to milk P5 and P5's assets, they'd be faster.

A different voice cast sounds interesting. Hopefully, it is a change for the better.

I also hope they revamp Tartarus to be less tedious.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
WTF am I reading here? With Metaphor they actually switching things up, I’m guessing you thing it’s same game because they using same artist? I guess you think Catherine is Persona game as well?

Guess what Persona 6 still going be turn based and still might use same artist.

Reactions: Isa

SABRE220

So atlus wants to milk customers twice on a fucking remake of a ps2 game....they will sell a persona3 reloaded golden version or someshit for full price 6months in. I love their games but my god they are so greedy it makes nvidia look nice.

Pallas

Gold Member
Disappointing but not entirely surprised by this. It would have been nice to play an updated FES for the first time.

Teslerum

I hate Marie too. And my god the Adachi Social Link.

Controversial, but while gameplay improvements of the Atlus re-releases was top notch, their added story content dragged the original story and nuances down. Applies to Royal as well.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

WTF am I reading here? With Metaphor they actually switching things up, I’m guessing you thing it’s same game because they using same artist? I guess you think Catherine is Persona game as well?

Guess what Persona 6 still going be turn based and still might use same artist.
You think Metaphor is switching things up? It looks like every sub-franchise from SMT smashed together into a confused mess. The gameplay looks exactly the same as Persona 5, only I can guarantee it won't sell as much because it's probably not going to have the semi-light novel mechanics or cast of characters fo carry it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That's false framing: There's no excuse for why a 6th Persona game should take 10 years. Maybe if they spent more time dedicated to that project than continuing to milk P5 and P5's assets, they'd be faster.

A quality game takes time. Grow up and move past your entitlement thinking you are deserved a new game in a specific timeframe.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You think Metaphor is switching things up? It looks like every sub-franchise from SMT smashed together into a confused mess. The gameplay looks exactly the same as Persona 5, only I can guarantee it won't sell as much because it's probably not going to have the semi-light novel mechanics or cast of characters fo carry it.
So you played the game? it has once more system? is the Demons Fusion? I dont see any of the Demons from SMT here...so because they are both are Turn based and using same character designer they are now same game?

Last edited:
So atlus wants to milk customers twice on a fucking remake of a ps2 game....they will sell a persona3 reloaded golden version or someshit for full price 6months in. I love their games but my god they are so greedy it makes nvidia look nice.
Game Pass this game, then buy the newer version when it comes out. No milk extracted.

ProtoByte

So you played the game? it has once more system? is the Demons Fusion? I dont see any of the Demons from SMT here...so because they are both are Turn based and using same character designer they are now same game?
Why are you repeatedly so obtuse about this? You must not have played that many games. I've played enough that I can look at a game and generally guess what I'm getting; especially when there are entire fundamental assets being re-used from another game. Pretending anything else is the case is just wilful ignorance, cope, or defensiveness over a game that YOU haven't played either, since you put so much stock into that.

For one thing, sad truth about turn-based combat is that it's pretty hard to differentiate one system from another. Secondly, it has almost the same damn UI and contents that would lead anyone logical to believe that even the paint job over the mechanics is going to be the same; the use of otherworldly demons/monsters/personas/whatever the fuck to fight.

Other than that, let's not pretend like these games are sold on their combat system. They're sold on the world, the characters, and the writing. At least, the idea of the writing. Not that western writing is in a much better place right now, but when the hell is any Japanese dev other than Square and Capcom going to explore a plot, world or theme that isn't animu nonsense?

Last edited:

killatopak

It's an Atlus game.
You don't buy their games at launch. You buy them a couple of years later when they release the vastly improved version with tons of new content.

This will be no different.
I've already waited for 14 years man. This is supposed to be the improved version with tons of new content.

I'm geting RE3 Remake flashbacks fuck....

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why are you repeatedly so obtuse about this? You must not have played that many games. I've played enough that I can look at a game and generally guess what I'm getting; especially when there are entire fundamental assets being re-used from another game. Pretending anything else is the case is just wilful ignorance, cope, or defensiveness over a game that YOU haven't played either, since you put so much stock into that.

For one thing, sad truth about turn-based combat is that it's pretty hard to differentiate one system from another. Secondly, it has almost the same damn UI and contents that would lead anyone logical to believe that even the paint job over the mechanics is going to be the same; the use of otherworldly demons/monsters/personas/whatever the fuck to fight.

Other than that, let's not pretend like these games are sold on their combat system. They're sold on the world, the characters, and the writing. At least, the idea of the writing. Not that western writing is in a much better place right now, but when the hell is any Japanese dev other than Square and Capcom going to explore a plot, world or theme that isn't animu nonsense?
Aww Pity GIF by MOODMAN

Keep trolling ,kiddo.

Top Bottom