• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand, you wankstas

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
479851_10151329695938983_141899797_n.jpg

Well, I totally overlooked this game upon release, then one day when trying to decide what to get my friend for his birthday, I noticed a copy sitting on the shelf at the local GameStop. He's a rich suburban white kid with an ironic taste for rap and hip-hop culture... so I picked it up along with Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 since he likes the uguu as well. GameStop clerk made fun of me for one of those purchases...
it wasn't Neptunia...

So I gave him his 2 gifts and said, "we should play the 50 Cent game"... and surprise surprise, it actually looked to be fairly decent! Keep in mind I'm not huge into hiphop and I don't play many western games. So a licensed game starring a rapper a bit past his prime, made by THQ (a company whose experiences with back in the 16 bit days caused me to totally avoid them since), made by western developers... Definitely not something I'd expect to enjoy!

A few weeks later, I'm hanging out with some college friends, one of which is an editor at TrueAchievements... she is a huge Xbox fangirl and has a ton of 360 games, including this one. I said to her "that 50 Cent game actually seemed pretty decent!" and she's like, "yeah, it's really good! I actually enjoyed it so much to try and get 1000/1000 in it! You wanna borrow it?", so I did, and as soon as I finished up with Ni No Kuni, decided to start it.

Finished it up last nite (not gonna try to 1000/1000 it, but there are one or two easy-to-get achievements that I missed that I'm gonna aim for tonite), and while the whole novelty behind it wears off quickly, the game is a solid cover-shooter with some niggling issues.

First, the good. The story is point-blank dumb (50 giving a concert in a wartorn nameless middle eastern country, was promised money by his promoter, promoter doesn't have it so gives him a priceless skull, which quickly gets stolen), and the dialogue is hilarious. You get to pick your co-op partner from another member of G-Unit. I had to go with Tony Yayo since he lives fairly close to me. It's really funny some of the shit they say... "Hey 50, jump over this big-ass ramp!" or "Shii, help me fiddy it fuckin' burns man!". There's even a dedicated "swear" button, and you buy add-on insults as the game progresses...

The score system is a pretty nice feature. There are little "scenarios" that involve quickly taking down enemies (such as "kill all the heavy weapon enemies") for added bonuses. You get more points for taking enemies out with melee, or killing them from outside cover... adding a slight element of risk-reward. There's also a chaining system, where you can kill up to 5 enemies in quick succession for even more points. The levels are divided into areas and each of them has up to 3 tiers of rewards based on your score. I played the game on normal, but I hear you get more points if you play on hard. There's also shit to find in the levels, like posters or targets, that add to your score. The system isn't as deep as something like Vanquish, but it's nice to see a western game actually add a scoring system based on risk/reward.

The graphics are pretty much what you expect out of an Unreal engine game, texture pop-in included.. lots of rubble and yellow everywhere... since you are in a war-torn city don't expect anything truly stunning or memorable... what is nice though is the game runs at 60 FPS... though with the caveat that the game has quite a bit of screen-tearing.

For the weak... the cover mechanics aren't that great. There's a lot of jankiness to them, like spots where you should be able to cover but you can't, and a lot of times where you are clearly behind cover but are still getting hit (especially frustrating in the later levels when every enemy is equipped with machine guns and they are all over the place).

Level design is also pretty bad in parts... it's got that typical western-game style of level design where half of the map is blocked by rubble (Half Life 2 or Gears of War for example), although there are a few alcoves where you can find crates filled with money. But what really hurts the level design is the repetition in everything.. you're mostly fighting the same few terrorists, one of em throws grenades, another has a rocket launcher... and then there are 3 annoying helicopter "boss" battles. A few of the levels really overstay their welcome, making the flaws in the cover system and gameplay even more apparent. There are 2 vehicle sections and a rail-shooter on a helicopter part, these are reasonably fun diversions from the core gameplay.

Maybe my biggest problem with the game is that Vanquish spoiled me for every other cover-shooter... though I say the game is still very much worth playing. That is, if you like 50 Cent's music (the licensed soundtrack has about 50+ songs to it, though you unlock them as the game progresses and both "Wanksta" and "In The Club" are only available near the end). Or if you really like cover-shooters.

Into

I found the game while i was in London a few months ago and just had to pick it up, i love 50 (and i am not even sure if i genially like the man or i just like him ironically). The gameplay felt pretty good, the problem really was that most of the areas looked the same, i know the game takes place somewhere in the middle east and is consistent but the game was begging for different looking areas.

Also unlocking classic 50 songs and playing them during gameplay was pretty cool, i listened to Poor Lil' Rich about 500 times. It does suck that the best and most memorable songs came at the end of the game. Shame that The Game was not in the...err...game. I do not remember when his beef with 50 and G Unit happened, but that could have been the reason he was not in the game.

Me and friends played the hell out of this in college. It wasnt great but it was fun and if you like Fif's music it was even better.

Def. had a good time and memories with this.

JackEtc

Definitely not the best game I've ever played, but holy shit did I have fun playing it, especially with friends. Game's a blast.

Kusagari

This game is awesome.

I went through it with a friend 3 times for all the achievements. Game obviously has its faults, but it's just a blast to play.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Despite sharing a similar setting, this game seems like the polar opposite of Spec Ops.

I've heard it's not a bad shooter, maybe I'll give it a shot someday.

BoomboxGuyJJ

Neo Member
I love this game, and I make many of my friends and students play it for a couple of different reasons.

1. It's not a bad game. Sure it is a straight up toned down Gears rip, but that isn't bad! Honestly I still feel like while they were making this game they gave Mr. Jackson a copy and he complained it was 'too hard'. Thus they watered it down and ultimately rendered the hiding mechanic worthless. Still with that being said it is a solid shooter.

2. It is one of the few games where you are framed to hate the protagonist you are playing. If you have played this game you know what I mean; 50 is an asshole. His one track mind is set on getting his skull back and also "making that jump". However the biggest testament to this is in the story itself. In the beginning, the promoter gives him the skull and while doing so he tells the beautiful story about a king's love for one of his most beautiful wives, and when she died unfortunately he bejeweled her skull so she can remain beautiful forever. Fast forward to the end where he gets the skull back, and what does he do to celebrate? He places it on his dash and puts a cigar in it mouth.

So much stupid fun.

fvng

Bought this game based on Giant Bomb's review and loved it. Guiltiest current gen pleasure. Literally my only complaint was that every boss was the same. It is ludicrously over the top, you can tell the developer was having fun with the project.

Next gen sequel please

Lunchbox

Banned
Bought this game based on Giant Bomb's review and loved it. Guiltiest current gen pleasure. Literally my only complaint was that every boss was the same. It is ludicrously over the top, you can tell the developer was having fun with the project.

fuck helicopters

Top Bottom