• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the biggest B.O. bomb of summer 2014: Jupiter Ascending Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're well into the first month of the summer movie season, and most of the big releases have done well, but no summer goes by without a major film with a huge budget struggling to break even, so GAF, which film do you think will do the worst.

My vote goes to

I mean who is this movie for? I guess for the Disney fans, but are there really enough of them to beat out those going to see X-men in it's second week, and the huge crowd waiting to see Seth McFarlane's follow up to Ted? I really doubt it.

edit: do to debate, the metric for bomb here is the lowest amount of profit, percentage based on budget, ie if movie A has a budget of $100 million and makes $100 million back, and movie B's budget was $200 million and made $150 million back, then movie B is the bigger bomb because it only made 75% of it's budget, as opposed to movie A making 100% of it's budget. Of course marketing factors in, but because that data is never really available, it wont be included.

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $218,815,487   39.8%+ Foreign: $330,552,828   60.2%= Worldwide: $549,368,315 

Domestic Summary

Opening Weekend: $54,415,205(#1 rank, 3,239 theaters, $16,800 average)% of Total Gross: 24.9%> View All 17 WeekendsWidest Release: 3,303 theatersClose Date: October 25, 2012

Didn't Ted bomb? Dunno if there would be very many people to see its follow-up

Jacob

Didn't Ted bomb? Dunno if there would be very many people to see its follow-up

Ted was one of the highest-grossing comedies of 2012 ($220M domestic, $550M worldwide). I'm not necessarily expecting A Million Ways to Die in the West to be a bigger hit, since it's a western and MacFarlane is unproven in front of the camera (voice acting notwithstanding), but I expect it will make money.

Edit: beaten.

Abounder

Banned
What's Ryan Reynolds up to nowadays?

But yea another vote for Jupiter.

I'm also interested to see where Guardians compares in the comic book movie pantheon.

explodet

Did you know they made another Planet of the Apes movie?
I certainly didn't until recently.

I love you Dr. Zaius

Pshh, guardians of the galaxy will be the summers biggest hit. Either edge of tomorrow or Maleficent will bomb the most.

EDIT: Jupiter Ascending is coming out this year? Well then never mind, that will bomb the hardest definitely.

I don't see GotG bombing.

It's out in August, in a dead zone when the season starts winding down, and Disney will market it like crazy.

I think it will do just fine.

I don't believe Maleficent will bomb, it looks like it'll do what Oz did and just coast for a bit.

Edge of Tomorrow I HOPE does well because I liked it, but I can see it failing here, but doing well overseas (as that seems to be the norm for Cruise Control nowadays).

Guardians it depends, I think it'll do less than the other Phase 2s but better than the rest.

But yeah. Jupiter Ascending, guys. Trust me, that's your pick.

If I wanted to watch Channing Tatum in a bad disguise while rollerblading I'd watch 22 Jump Street

I would love to quote you all, but this one stuck out;

$235m domestic gross on a $215m budget is a marginal success, I suppose.

It isn't, but 450 mil worldwide on 215 mil kind of is. It isn't what Disney wanted, but alas.

Raxus

Jupiter Ascending.

Disney and Tom Cruise will be saved by their international numbers if they do poorly domestically.

Jarmel

Banned
I actually expect Edge to do well, mainly due to word of mouth. Jupiter Ascending though doesn't have a fucking prayer. Guardians should be interesting but I don't expect it to bomb bomb but rather be slightly disappointing.

explodet

One film I hope does okay is the upcoming Hercules film. It'll probably live or die by the reviews.

Anyone remember that 2011 Conan film? Big stinker, bomba box-office.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nope, I think Maleficent is going to be a big thing because Disney.

Its going to be Guardians of the Galaxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom