• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Nintendo NEEDS to localize Card Hero for NA and EU!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So, I picked up Kousoku Battle Card Hero by Intelligent Systems (Paper Mario, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem) the other day (somewhat on a whim), and now I find myself hopelessly addicted. :(

What is Card Hero?

At its core, Card Hero is a card based strategy RPG. The game can be explained as a competitor to SNK vs. Capcom Cardfighters Clash, I suppose. The game basically sets you in the role of a boy who discovers the sport of card battling, and decides (of course) to be the best there is.

The game play sports 4 mode types: Speed Battle, Jr. Mode, Senior Mode, and Master Mode. This game is a sequel to the JP only GBC version of Card Hero. While Jr. Sr. and Master modes were in the GBC version, Speed Battle is a new and quick way to play a game.

What is the battle system like?

Here is the basic premise: Players have a deck of cards. Each card is one of the following: Front row monster, Back row monster, magic, and super. Front row and back row monsters (red and blue respectively), are designed to either be in the back as low HP/defense long range attackers, while Front row monsters are the tanks. There are a number of different magic cards, including attack power increase on one monster, and casting Lightning on an enemy.

Speed battle goes like this: Each player has two squares to put monsters on: front and back. When the battle starts, both players put their monsters on the board, and via coin toss, the first turn is decided. During this turn, the player can attack as many times as his number of stones allows (in speed battle, you start with 1 stone, and increase by one each time a monster on your side is killed. You lose if you get to 6 stones). Once finished, the opponent goes. The really cool part is that as your monsters die, the battle heats up. You can do more and stronger attacks, and use more magic.

Super cards are evolutions for a monster (each super card relates to a specific monster). Every time a monster kills another, they gain a level. Every monster has either 1, 2, or 3 levels. The levels determine what actions they perform, they attack power, HP, and the ability to evolve. If the player has a super card for that monster when it levels up, and there is another monster on the field that the leveling monster is in range to sacrifice, he will sacrifice the other enemy, and level up to a super powerful monster for the rest of the match.

Jr. Mode adds Master cards. Master cards are basically like a King in Chess. Your mission is to kill the master. Each master has 5 HP, and monsters are deployed in groups of 2 on either side of the master. The twist is that each master also has a permanent shield that automatically reduces all damage dealt to it by 2. Predictably, most monsters cannot do more than 2 damage at level 1. They can, on the other hand, rest for a turn, which adds 1 attack power for one turn, which can then be used as a powerful attack the next turn on the opposing master. There are catches involved here as well, but there's a lot to explain.

Senior Mode is my favorite, honestly. In addition to all the regular Junior mode rules, Senior mode adds magic to the master'S repertoire, allowing them to act as well. Every player chooses (permanently) whether they are a white or black master. White masters are protective, defensive, and healing based. Black masters are aggressive, offensive and attack based. I use a black master, as that is my personal play style, but White is actually a totally viable choice.

I haven't started playing Master mode yet, so I'm not entirely sure how it works.

PHEW. That was a lot. Anyway, Card Hero SERIOUSLY rocks. Both Revenant Kioku and myself are playing it right now, and we're both having a great time with it.

Is it Import friendly?

The game has the option to switch between Kanji mode and Hiragana mode. I can't imagine how anyone can play in hiragana mode. It hurts my eyes just looking at it. Kanji mode is far easier to look at.

That said, the game is not very import friendly if you don't know any japanese at all. If you have a grasp on katakana, hiragana, and some basic kanji, the game would be fine for you. If you don't know any kanji, but know hiragana and katakana, you can play in hiragana mode, but I don't recommend enduring that headache.

Is there a translation guide?

I'm working on translations for the cards as well as the basic rules for all the modes. I'll post it on my blog when I'm finished. Stay tuned.

Why should I play it?

It's fucking IntSys bitches! You should play it on that fact alone!

Phew...okay, I'm done. This game rocks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I was already planning on picking it up when it's localized (and it will be for sure; it's an IntSys title, the original was supposed to be localized but died in-house during the GBC->GBA transition along with several other projects, every other IntSys title since the first GBA Fire Emblem has been brought over, Nintendo has localized 100% of its non-Training non-Puzzle DS software up to Kurikin Nano Island Story and I don't see that plan changing) but having a second love thread is a major hype builder.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sule said:
Old.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221215&highlight=card+hero

But seriously, every game IntSys makes is worth localizing. I think Nintendo understand that IntSys is a developer with a devoted fan-base of people who buy a game just because it says Intelligent Systems. There have been other card based games for DS released in the West so I don't see why this won't come out here.

Shit!

Oh well. It was fun to write that. :p

Bo130

If it's anything like Pokémon Trading Card Game for GBC, I need this game ASAP. So glad it turned out to be online. I approve of this thread! :D

thetrin

Bo130 said:
If it's anything like Pokémon Trading Card Game for GBC, I need this game ASAP. So glad it turned out to be online. I approve of this thread! :D

Wi-fi battling, Wi-fi recipe (you can combine three cards to make a new card at the card shop) and card download, and wi-fi trading.

Actually, I forgot to include my favorite part of the card shop: When you buy a pack of cards, you slide your stylus across the top of the pack to cut it open, and check out what cards you got.

thetrin

Tetsuo9 said:
Yes, i'm totally interesed in this game too. Please tell us when your translation guide is done.

I'll put up the rules translation first. A lot of the card stuff is fairly intuitive and easy to figure out. Rules can be...a little more difficult.

thetrin

ksamedi said:
So does this game have a world you explore or is it just card battles?

Just card battling. Along with the linear story mode, there's also Center Mall. Center Mall is a shopping mall where players congregate to battle (conjures images in my head of sloppy looking kids playing Magic in the Mall food court).

You can choose what mode you want to play, and then get to choose an opponent based on who is at the mall that day. Unlike story, battling at Center mall earns you points, which can be spent on cards at the card shop.

Unlike stuff like DOA4 online, you ALWAYS earn points, whether you win or lose. If you win, you get more points, and even more points if you play well.

thetrin

I just unlocked Pro rules (the aforementioned Master mode). Pro seems to be exactly like Senior, except for one key difference: all masters have 10 HP, rather than 5.

I haven't started up any pro matches yet (I'm pretty much done playing for the day), but if it's best 2 out of 3 like the other three modes, battles will take a LOOOOOONG time.

Totakeke

Pro rules are where the real strategy and deckbuilding skills are tested though. The games are much longer and sometimes you're just stuck in a never ending loop of you killing the opposing monsters and him killing yours until there's a breakthrough.

Junior and Senior really skews in favour of the person who won the coin toss as there are really a ton of ways to kill the opposing player ignoring whatever he has on the field and in his hand, coupled with the fact that it's quite easy to get the cards you need from the smaller deck size.

Speed is kind of an anomaly to me because it's really different and I have hardly a clue on how to make strategies for it. Feels kind of random but yet it doesn't.

I haven't been playing for some weeks but most of the decks I've played against online still uses a ton of monsters. If you've played MTG before, the principles of card advantage isn't really enforced strictly in this game, after all, you can get a master that has reusable "draw until you get five cards" skill that costs 2 stones but basically lets you throw a bunch of direct damage and damage enhancing magic cards into your deck without worrying about losing card advantage. It's hardly a surefire way of winning but it's odd you don't see it more often compared to cramming monsters that get stuck in your hand.

Oh and another neat online feature is that every deck that you battled against will get saved. So you can check out the cards that their deck contains and also battle against the deck again with an AI player.

Getting the rare cards are quite hard as most of them you can't just get from buying boosters. Some you need to battle through Center Mall and fight against the right person who will initiate a trade with you after the match is over, some you need to get through the card shop by trading specific cards, and others I have no idea at all. As for the longevity it might be on the shorter side as there's only a library of 150 cards total in the game.

This game is definitely the best card game I've played that doesn't require you paying for the cards, while having online play that works. Localize this, NoA.

apujanata

thetrin said:
Actually, I forgot to include my favorite part of the card shop: When you buy a pack of cards, you slide your stylus across the top of the pack to cut it open, and check out what cards you got.

SNK vs. Capcom allowed that too (and also pressing button A to cut the pack open).

thetrin

Tetsuo9 said:
Yes, i'm totally interesed in this game too. Please tell us when your translation guide is done.

I finished part 1 of the translation guide, which I've posted on my blog. It covers starting the game, as well as the main menu options, how to buy booster packs of cards, and more. Part 2 will cover game modes and rules, and it should be finished by next week.

Enjoy!

NOTE: Make sure you have japanese language packs installed on your PC before checking out the FAQ. I use the japanese from the game and a translation next to it, so you can compare from the FAQ to the game without complicated directions.

Zerachiel

If there's one positive result of the upswing in DS piracy, it's that it increases the likelihood of some group trying a rom translation of stuff like this.

thetrin

Zerachiel said:
If there's one positive result of the upswing in DS piracy, it's that it increases the likelihood of some group trying a rom translation of stuff like this.

It's Intelligent Systems. The game will hit America. You can count on that.

Einherjar

Card Hero is a decent game but there are much better card games. I dislike how there's no bonus given to the person who goes second. Essentially whoever goes first should in theory win. The cards also aren't very even and its pretty much a battle of whoever has the best cards.

BUT, it is worth playing as a portable DS game.

thetrin

Einherjar said:
Card Hero is a decent game but there are much better card games. I dislike how there's no bonus given to the person who goes second. Essentially whoever goes first should in theory win. The cards also aren't very even and its pretty much a battle of whoever has the best cards.

BUT, it is worth playing as a portable DS game.

I think it's true in Speed Battle, but less and less true in upper modes. If you infer what cards they're placing based on placement, you can often put down a card in the back row that is either designed to take out that back row card of theirs, or stay away from it, and hit the master with pot shots.

Top Bottom