• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S-E president: DQIX release date remains undecided

duckroll

Quazar said:
Was that all that was talked about?

Yes. 50 guys sat on a round table, banging their cups on the table as Wada stood up and went "Dragon Quest IX's release date is still..... undecided."

ethelred

Quazar said:

No, they also released financial numbers and I'm sure talked about a few other things as well. However, it looks like we're going to get a different thread for each topic.

soul

Quazar said:

Just an important snippet. the rest is mostly sales, etc. some sales figures from Gamefront for those interested:

Japan
- Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII (PSP): 710.000 St.
- Dragon Quest Sword: Kamen no Joou to Kagami no Tou (Wii): 490.000 St.
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (NDS): 360.000 St.
- Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings (NDS): 530.000 St.
- Itadaki Street DS (NDS): 410.000 St.

Europa
- Final Fantasy III (NDS): 450.000 St.
- Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria (PS2): 170.000 St.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
duckroll said:
Yes. 50 guys sat on a round table, banging their cups on the table as Wada stood up and went "Dragon Quest IX's release date is still..... undecided."

:lol

duckroll

ethelred said:
No, they also released financial numbers and I'm sure talked about a few other things as well. However, it looks like we're going to get a different thread for each topic.

So who's going to start the "Square Enix maintains they are not stopping development on White Engine" thread?

Balzac

The issue is probably that such a huge title would interfere with other potential heavy sellers of theirs.

They'll probably wait until a potentially lackluster quarter to drop the DQ bomb and even out earnings.

Jesus christ. And that was just the FF Mystic Quest of DQ games.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
holiday season 08 seems likely...depends also on the dq5/5 remakes...and if and when level want to release inazuma eleven...

Aeana said:
I wasn't expecting a date any time soon, anyway.
Nor was I.

I think we might get DQV and possibly DQVI before IX hits.

Balzac said:
Jesus christ. And that was just the FF Mystic Quest of DQ games.
What?

Lightning said:
I thought Crisis Core had sold more then that.... Sad.
Huh? So because you expected it to do more, its performance is somehow sad? Those are fantastic numbers for a FF spin-off.

Quazar

duckroll said:

Funny

soul said:
Just an important snippet. the rest is mostly sales, etc. some sales figures from Gamefront for those interested:

Japan
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (NDS): 360.000 St.
- Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings (NDS): 530.000 St.
- Itadaki Street DS (NDS): 410.000 St.

Europa
- Final Fantasy III (NDS): 450.000 St.
- Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria (PS2): 170.000 St.

Thanks for a real answer.

ethelred said:

Which I was hoping to avoid.

ethelred

cw_sasuke said:
holiday season 08 seems likely...depends also on the dq5/5 remakes...and if and when level want to release inazuma eleven...

Square Enix doesn't give two fucks when Level-5 wants to release their stuff. Dragon Quest put them on the map; it takes priority over all.

duckroll said:
So who's going to start the "Square Enix maintains they are not stopping development on White Engine" thread?

I'll let you grab that one. I'm busy writing up the "Square Enix Shareholder Meeting: Yoichi Wada maintains he is not a crook" thread.

duckroll

ethelred said:
I'll let you grab that one. I'm busy writing up the "Square Enix Shareholder Meeting: Yoichi Wada maintains he is not a crook" thread.

No, I'm serious. One of the key points on the article was Wada refuting "persistant rumors" that the White Engine development was being terminated. He maintained it was bullshit and they're still at it.

Lightning

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Huh? So because you expected it to do more, its performance is somehow sad? Those are fantastic numbers for a FF spin-off.
Huh? The "Sad" comment represented how I feel as I want Crisis Core to break a million, it is an excellent game and definitely deserves to.

Lightning said:
Huh? The "Sad" comment represented how I feel as I want Crisis Core to break a million, it is an excellent game and definitely deserves to.
I don't know about whether or not it 'deserves to', but regardless those numbers are still great.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
They said they wanted to release DQ 4-6 remakes first, no?
Id say don't hold your breath

neptunes

Magicpaint said:
I can't properly gauge whether or not it met SE's expectations because...I don't think they announced any sales goals for Crisis Core.

Not to mention we don't know how much was spent developing the game, but I'm assuming alot.

I wonder how much the NA sales will be? 100k-200k tops?

Lightning

Banned
neptunes said:
I can't properly gauge whether or not it met SE's expectations because...I don't think they announced any sales goals for Crisis Core.

Not to mention we don't know how much was spent developing the game, but I'm assuming alot.

This game better sell better in the US then it did in Japan or there is something wrong. The userbase in the US is larger then the Japan userbase and action RPG's have done well in the US in the past. I don't see why this one should be any different. Anything under 1mil for the US as well will be extremely disappointing.

I have high expectations of Crisis Core. It had a great development team and they made a GREAT game.

John Harker said:
They said they wanted to release DQ 4-6 remakes first, no?
Id say don't hold your breath

I don't remember them saying that (not saying your wrong) but I would be absolutely happy with that. I've never had a chance to play V, and playing VI via emulator just wasn't the same. Having the second trilogy before IX would be an awesome build up for me.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Pureauthor said:
If that happens (and I don't see any way it will), it'd be a massive bomb in NA.

Not considering that DQ8 sold a large amount after hitting $19.99, something that DS games never tend to hit.

Lightning said:
This game better sell better in the US then it did in Japan or there is something wrong. The userbase in the US is larger then the Japan userbase and action RPG's have done well in the US in the past. I don't see why this one should be any different.
Final Fantasy tends to do better in Japan than the US. Regardless of userbase difference, this seems to have held for I, II, and Tactics on PSP so far.

ethelred

Grecco said:
You meant PSP games right?

Maybe he said DS games because he thought people were actually talking about Dragon Quest IX in a Dragon Quest IX thread.

Stranger things have happened.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Grecco said:

No, how many high selling DS games got price dropped to $19.99 after being sold for a higher price?

PSP games get price drops far more frequently than DS games.

ethelred said:
Maybe he said DS games because he thought people were actually talking about Dragon Quest IX in a Dragon Quest IX thread.

Damn, that came out of left field

neptunes

Lightning said:
I don't see why this one should be any different. Anything under 1mil for the US as well will be extremely disappointing.
What was the last PSP game to reach 1 million in the US? I forgot

PSP games get price drops far more frequently than DS games.
and the reason they get price drop is because....

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Not surprising, he wanted to release it during the holiday season. If he's still aiming for the holiday season and wants to release it next year I don't think it's best to tell the shareholders this soon, it wouldn't make much sense to.

neptunes said:

i expect it to do at least 400k-500k in the with good promotion and close to the same in the EU

jj984jj said:
Not surprising, he wanted to release it during the holiday season. If he's still aiming for the holiday season and wants to release it next year I don't think it's best to tell the shareholders this soon, it wouldn't make much sense to.
Ouch if true. Back when DQIV was just a rumor, one of the reasons I doubted it was because it would make for a DQ-crowded schedule. Now with not only those but V and VI as well, things are even more crowded. Do they wait to get the remakes out of the way first? Do they toss IX out in the middle of them somewhen? Will V, VI, and IX release next year, or will at least one of them end up in 2009?

Johnas

JoshuaJSlone said:
Ouch if true. Back when DQIV was just a rumor, one of the reasons I doubted it was because it would make for a DQ-crowded schedule. Now with not only those but V and VI as well, things are even more crowded. Do they wait to get the remakes out of the way first? Do they toss IX out in the middle of them somewhen? Will V, VI, and IX release next year, or will at least one of them end up in 2009?

I'd wager V coming out ~8 months from now, then IX in Nov/Dec of '08. I imagine VI won't release until after IX.

Kafel said:
So, who will tell us what's going on with FFXIII and the white engine ?

it's in development... and this isn't the Squaresoft/Square Electronic Arts days, where we'd get constant updates, unfortunately. When we see it again, chances are it will be in it's final stages (75% or so) and will be preparing for release within 7-10 months. FFX was similar. It went dark from it's first 'tech' showing at the Square Millennium Conference in Jan. 2000 until late Jan. 2001... a mere 6 months before it released.

There's also the belief that S-E will sit on it in accordance to PS3 sales/financial calender/all that bullshit. It's looking like Holiday '08 might be the striking point (at least for Japan), so I hope we hear that at JUMP Festa.

Kitase commands one of the most talented, able development teams in the industry. If there are any problems with development, I'd imagine it's strictly from the corporate end. I'll stand corrected if word comes out that I'm wrong... and I'll be terribly, terribly disappointed.

December 22. BELIEVE! :D

Cheerilee

Hcoregamer00 said:

Damn, that came out of left field
Here, let me organize the quotes.

soul said:
Lightning said:
I thought Crisis Core had sold more then that.... Sad.
Magicpaint said:
neptunes said:
Pureauthor said:
If that happens (and I don't see any way it will), it'd be a massive bomb in NA.
Hcoregamer00 said:
Not considering that DQ8 sold a large amount after hitting $19.99, something that DS games never tend to hit.
Grecco said:
ethelred said:

You see, it looks as if you're saying that DQ9 on the DS won't be a bomb even if it only has 100k-200k sales in NA, because those will be full-priced sales (unlike DQ8). Which would've meant that the subject drifted away from Crisis Core and back to DQ9 because of the thread title.

But it's possible that you were agreeing with Pureauthor that there was no way Crisis Core would only sell 100k-200k, because it's a PSP game and if it doesn't sell it'll just go on clearance and post the big numbers by default. The DS being mentioned only as the system that doesn't follow that pattern.

I'm seriously considering that SE is worried about all of their recent DS bombs (Chocobo, FFCC, HoM, etc.).

I mean, they've had some good success with DQMJ and FFIII, but not much else.

Top Bottom