• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI S demo announced

Mista

Banned
DQ11S-Demo_08-03-19_001-600x338.jpg

Square Enix will release a demo for Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition, the company announced during a stage event at Dragon Quest Summer Festival 2019 in Tokyo. A release date was not announced.

Users who keep their save data from the Dragon Quest XI S demo will receive a “Skill Seed” as a bonus when they play the full game.

Additionally, users who play the demo and create save data will be able to obtain the premium hero card “The One Descended from Erdrick ” in the Switch version of the free-to-play card battle game Dragon Quest Rivals as a bonus.

DQ11S-Demo_08-03-19_002.jpg

DQ11S-Demo_08-03-19_003.jpg

DQ11S-Demo_08-03-19_004.jpg

Square Enix also revealed that the world of Dragon Quest X will appear in Dragon Quest XI S as one of the past Dragon Quest worlds players can travel to.

DQ11S-DQX-World_08-03-19.jpg

And the company confirmed that Erik will be able to wear his “North Leather Style” outfit from the one-shot manga starring Erik by Hiro Mashima that will debut in the August 21-due issue of V-Jump magazine. It can be obtained by redeeming a download code included as a bonus with a certain book (still to be announced).

DQ11S-Erik-Costume_08-03-19_001.jpg

DQ11S-Erik-Costume_08-03-19_002.jpg

Finally, Square Enix confirmed an enhanced “Draconian Quest” in Dragon Quest XI S. With “Super Shypox” enabled, all members of the party are inflicted with the “Shypox” spell.

DQ11S-Super-Shypox_08-03-19_001.jpg

DQ11S-Super-Shypox_08-03-19_002.jpg

Gematsu

Last edited:

blackjon24

I'm pissed I played it on PS4, akd even more pissed at SE for not giving PS4 owners all of this.

I agree that this upgrade should given as an option for ps4/pc players. But i don't regret buying the game day 1 on ps4 because it was a complete 100hour plus game and by the time i was done i really didn't want any more. As a huge fan of the series no way in hell was I going to wait a year for this.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I agree that this upgrade should given as an option for ps4/pc players. But i don't regret buying the game day 1 on ps4 because it was a complete 100hour plus game and by the time i was done i really didn't want any more. As a huge fan of the series no way in hell was I going to wait a year for this.
Same, I have zero regret getting the PS4 version at launch. It still was amazing full experience game and enjoyed it enough I’m willing to buy again like I’m going to with Persona 5 Royal and Catherine Full Body.

Vawn

Banned
Same, I have zero regret getting the PS4 version at launch. It still was amazing full experience game and enjoyed it enough I’m willing to buy again like I’m going to with Persona 5 Royal and Catherine Full Body.

I can't see myself replaying Persona 5 on PS4, despite being great. But, I'd jump in for a Switch version. Persona is the perfect handheld series for me.

TLZ

Banned
I have no regrets as well, but we should also get all the extras as free dlc, since the Switch version costs the same with all that in.

Danjin44

I have no regrets as well, but we should also get all the extras as free dlc, since the Switch version costs the same with all that in.
Unfortunately thats not gonna happen, same way original Persona 5 not going get the Royal content.

badboyyy

So yeah, support these companies with your money twice for the same game. Its absolute bizzare from Square, when one platform gets clean title, other gets full content game. And when you ask, why they cant add dlc to PS4? Its mystery.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It is unclear whether your demo save file will transfer and be playable with the full version of the game or if it’s just for bonus items. Anyone know?

For people complaining about Switch extra features not coming to PS4, surely they will at a later date. I haven’t looked into it, but I’d assume it’s just timed exclusivity.

Danjin44

It is unclear whether your demo save file will transfer and be playable with the full version of the game or if it’s just for bonus items. Anyone know?

For people complaining about Switch extra features not coming to PS4, surely they will at a later date. I haven’t looked into it, but I’d assume it’s just timed exclusivity.
Thats is possible, DQXIS case might be similar to P5R but SE are not Atlus. They are planning to release the final mix content for KHIII through DLC they could do similar thing for DQXI (PS4/PC) version.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Thats is possible, DQXIS case might be similar to P5R but SE are not Atlus. They are planning to release the final mix content for KHIII through DLC they could do similar thing for DQXI (PS4/PC) version.
I think it’s just a concession from Square Enix to Nintendo, as in: “Sorry it took so long to port this game to your system. Here are some bonus goodies to encourage people to buy it on your platform.”

And then 6 months later the extra content will release elsewhere too.

That seems logical to me.

cryptoadam

Banned
Isn there already a demo out called the PS4 version?

LOL I kid I kid.

Cool to see a demo I think this game is going to be huge especially in Japan and with the Smash tie in.

DonF

What a disappointing performance the demo has. Sub hd res, looks very very soft, both docked and undocked. And 30 fps...

The downgrade is real coming from the PS4 version. The music is a huge upgrade, but I can't force myself to play this version.

I don't like what square enix did to fans here. Pick a great performance and looks but missing content or substandard looks with the complete edition.

Poppyseed

What a disappointing performance the demo has. Sub hd res, looks very very soft, both docked and undocked. And 30 fps...

The downgrade is real coming from the PS4 version. The music is a huge upgrade, but I can't force myself to play this version.

I don't like what square enix did to fans here. Pick a great performance and looks but missing content or substandard looks with the complete edition.

Yep. I find the game unplayable due to how blurry it is.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I think it’s just a concession from Square Enix to Nintendo, as in: “Sorry it took so long to port this game to your system. Here are some bonus goodies to encourage people to buy it on your platform.”

And then 6 months later the extra content will release elsewhere too.

That seems logical to me.

Why would Nintendo need to be given a concession? SE sales don’t directly impact Nintendo.

I’m glad I have waited, I really couldn’t play the game with the midi soundtrack and I like that on Switch I can take it with me when I travel.

Barnabot

I've played the demo and I can confirm it has a subpar resolution. I had some expectations to be met on this game since it was supposedly announced for NS since its launching. Maybe SE really started working on this Switch Port really late.

I was actually surprised at how well it ran on Switch, but 30fps and sub HD isn't really a big deal to me.
I haven't really enjoyed a jrpg since FFVII, but the real draw for me here is the 16bit mode which I wasn't even aware of till I downloaded the demo.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Why would Nintendo need to be given a concession? SE sales don’t directly impact Nintendo.
Because the Dragon Quest series went from a Nintendo exclusive era to multiplatform, with Nintendo’s version coming much later this time.

I was speculating that the new additions to the game were a temporary make-good by Square Enix. Time will tell.

Ulysses 31

Demo convinced me to buy the game! Looks great for a Switch game and didn't notice major fps dips during playthrough.

To my knowledge the base PS4 ran at 900p and 30 fps so I'm impressed how well it still looks on Switch.

zenspider

The demo is tasty. Anyone reach the "end" yet? I'm wondering how exactly it's locked.

Trying to pace myself for a smooth, withdrawl-free transition to release. Fire Emblem got addicting again (around 30 hours) and Astral Chain is a few days away... so much goodness right now!

DonF

Demo convinced me to buy the game! Looks great for a Switch game and didn't notice major fps dips during playthrough.

To my knowledge the base PS4 ran at 900p and 30 fps so I'm impressed how well it still looks on Switch.
Going from the ps4 pro version to the switch is night and day. It really put me off. Specially on a 55" 4k display. For reference, I think that other switch games scale well on my display. Smash, Zelda, Mario and splatoon look great, but this...it looks awful.

Even docked the low res is evident. Way too soft.

I really want to try the 16bit mode, but I can wait for a sale. The modern jrpg is a genre I cannot get in to, I haven't really enjoyed one since FFVII. I still replay the genre classics occasionally, so I'm hoping the 16bit aesthetic will help ease me into it.

The Shepard

Are you on an OG Switch or Lite? It doesn't look too bad on the Lite, but yeah on he OG switch it's kind of blurry.

OG Switch. I've been playing a lot of persona 5 recently streaming it to the vita and have zero problems with that and I think it looks good so I may just do the same with the PS4 version of dragon quest 11.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I was going to get this today but the demo is to blurry in handheld mode, is the final product the same?
Pretty much yeah. And the pop in is extremely noticable. I had to switch to 2D because of how bad it looks to me, but I'm also used to the PS4 version so maybe that had something to do with it.

RPGCrazied

Someone needs to make an OT! I get it sometime today. I absolutely love this game. I played about 80hours of the PS4 version and never finished the epilogue. There is no way the switch can push the PS4 resolution, but with how the demo looked I thought it was decent enough. I wish the shadows were a bit better though.

Andyliini

I will heti this later down the line, but right now I have too many games to play. I have heard only positive things about this. I have enjoyed all previous Dragon Quests too, so I know this will be a wonderful experience.

RPGCrazied

Played some more on retail version, and it might just be my imagination but the graphics look more colorful. Like something was added to the graphics. Everything else is still the same tho.

Top Bottom