• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix TGS Line Up

Eteric Rice said:
If Nintendo wanted to be dicks?

Take their DS license.

And provide a lovely boost for SE's support for the PSP? Square-Enix is one of the few companies in Japan that Nintendo can't dick around.

Zoe

Pop On Arrival said:
Oh, thought you were talking about the rumor about SE wanting to charge people to play their demo.

Hey, some people went for The Last Guy: Japan Premium.

Terrell

Eteric Rice said:
If Nintendo wanted to be dicks?

Take their DS license.
I was too busy editing my first post to catch this... Nintendo is in a place of power so strong that they could do this AND GET AWAY WITH IT and no 3rd-party would stand up in defense of it. That's a frightening prospect. I don't think Iwata's that kind of guy... I see him more as a "oh, you want to develop for the Wii's successor, huh? Yeah, I'll get you development kits... have fun waiting in line for them like a chump."

Seriously, ignoring Nintendo on the console front is going to bite SO many 3rd-parties in the ass further down the road, and they don't even seem to realize it, because leaving that landscape untraveled just means a whole bunch of new companies can come in and dazzle with new products. Marvelous Interactive, for instance, is stepping up further and further to being one of Japan's "it" publishers and has the advantage of not being too heavily tied to one specific type of genre like other companies now are. Teaming with smaller developers like Grasshopper and imageepoch and the like gives them a VERY diverse pool of talent that will only continue to grow as their success on the Wii continues to expand.
I can't get over how myopic 3rd-parties are about the disaster they're probably walking into next generation and not doing what is necessary to prevent it.

People are expecting Nintendo to go around bitch-slapping third-parties like it's the NES era all over again?

I don't see it happening.

Rpgmonkey

Baconbitz said:
Can you post a list? 'cause I don't know what half of the stuff is except for what was in english.

Left to right:

Snoopy DS
Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon DS
Valkyrie Profile DS
Pingu's exciting carnival
Last Remnant
Chrono Trigger
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Another Chocobo Fables game (The Witch, the Girl, and the Five Heroes)
Dragon Quest IX
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Star Ocean 4
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Final Fantasy Agito XIII
Parasite Eve: The 3rd Birthday
Infinite Undiscovery
Song Summoner
Final Fantasy XI
Dragon Quest Monster Battle Road
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete
Kigndom Hearts Coded
Dragon Quest Batle Road Mobile
Intadaki Street Mobile
Final Fantasy IV: The After
Ellark
Gangan Mobile (?)
Ganmobako (?) Mix

Some other little sections (kids corner, goods, downloads, music, etc.).

Correct me please if I messed up something.

Terrell

PepsimanVsJoe said:
People are expecting Nintendo to go around bitch-slapping third-parties like it's the NES era all over again?

I don't see it happening.
No, I don't really, either... but they are certainly going to remember what happened this generation and start playing favorites in the next round when they are set to release the successor to the fastest-selling console in gaming history... and that's where it'll get messy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You knooow, Nintendo being dicks to third parties is what caused them all to flock to competitors anyway. Very few corporations have battered wife syndrome, unlike a lot of company FANBOYS.

And as for the "get in line for Wii 2 dev kits" thing, I think square enix already has lots of gamecubes lol

...lol i liked that one

Terrell said:
Seriously, ignoring Nintendo on the console front is going to bite SO many 3rd-parties in the ass further down the road, and they don't even seem to realize it, because leaving that landscape untraveled just means a whole bunch of new companies can come in and dazzle with new products. Marvelous Interactive, for instance, is stepping up further and further to being one of Japan's "it" publishers and has the advantage of not being too heavily tied to one specific type of genre like other companies now are. Teaming with smaller developers like Grasshopper and imageepoch and the like gives them a VERY diverse pool of talent that will only continue to grow as their success on the Wii continues to expand.
I can't get over how myopic 3rd-parties are about the disaster they're probably walking into next generation and not doing what is necessary to prevent it.

What have Marvelous published on the Wii, and how well has it done so far?

Also, isn't it a bit early to be calling the Wii's successor a lock for next generation? Wouldn't the fact that the Wii has been so successful and the PS3 not so, warn against working on such blind assumptions.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eteric Rice said:
How do you know?

If she told you she'd have to kill you.

Maybe she'll kill you anyway.

Die Squirrel Die said:

So far just Harvest Moon Wii and No More Heroes, but they're publishing a ton of up and coming JPN Wii stuff. Arc Rise Fantasia, Rune Factory Frontier, Oboro Muramasa Youtouden, Little King Story, and the next Harvest Moon Wii will all be at TGS. On the DS front, they're doing Avalon Code.

Eteric Rice

Die Squirrel Die said:

Also, isn't it a bit early to be calling the Wii's successor a lock for next generation? Wouldn't the fact that the Wii has been so successful and the PS3 not so, warn against working on such blind assumptions.

They haven't put anything out yet, but I think they're the Little King Story, Rune Factory, and Arc Rise Fantasia guys.

Volcynika

Eteric Rice said:
They haven't put anything out yet, but I think they're the Little King Story, Rune Factory, and Arc Rise Fantasia guys.

Didn't Marvelous publish No More Heroes (at least in Japan)? And I think Arc Rise Fantasia is the Sega/Image Epoch thing.

Terrell said:
No, I don't really, either... but they are certainly going to remember what happened this generation and start playing favorites in the next round when they are set to release the successor to the fastest-selling console in gaming history... and that's where it'll get messy.

So you're saying that Nintendo, on the back of a very successful console, will release timely dev kits to a select "Dream Team" of developers, leaving everyone else out in the cold having to figure out the Wii 2's exotic architecture on their own?

...really?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Volcynika said:
Didn't Marvelous publish No More Heroes (at least in Japan)? And I think Arc Rise Fantasia is the Sega/Image Epoch thing.

Yes. No; it's imageepoch developed, Marvelous published.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Volcynika said:
no, it's Marvelous that's with ImageEpoch. with their new base of operations stateside in conjunction with XSEED, basically everything that's not Harvest Moon from MMV will be published by Marvelous Entertainment USA

Dali

Y2Kev said:
You knooow, Nintendo being dicks to third parties is what caused them all to flock to competitors anyway. Very few corporations have battered wife syndrome, unlike a lot of company FANBOYS.

And as for the "get in line for Wii 2 dev kits" thing, I think square enix already has lots of gamecubes lol

...lol i liked that one
:lol :lol

It was more your amusement at your own joke that got me more than anything... I guess the joke was nice too.

Terrell

Volcynika said:
You're thinking of World Destruction for DS. ARF is the Wii title published by Marvelous.
And No More Heroes made them a lot of money from the publishing rights in North America via Ubisoft, and got them exposure as a risk-taking publisher, which is a largely unfilled title this generation.

Volcynika

Thanks to the three people that corrected me :p

But yeah I guess I got confused, since I knew Sega/Image Epoch were doing World Destruction, I guess just hearing Image Epoch with something else made me associate them with Sega.

Terrell

Sho_Nuff82 said:
So you're saying that Nintendo, on the back of a very successful console, will release timely dev kits to a select "Dream Team" of developers, leaving everyone else out in the cold having to figure out the Wii 2's exotic architecture on their own?

...really?
No, not a "Dream Team", just "hey, you supported Wii when everyone else was treating it like a red-headed step-child, so here's a head start on the bigger companies who treated us like dicks." It only makes sense to favor companies who share your vision and let the after-thought opportunists drown in their mistake, even from a financial standpoint, as the late-comers still get their dev kits, but the smaller companies get to sell their wares with less competition from big names and stay successfully in the game.
Nintendo can't be treated like a fairweather friend to these companies, because it gives an impression that Nintendo can be walked all over by 3rd-parties. SONY AND MS wouldn't put up with that shit, why would anyone expect Nintendo to?

Terrell said:
You're thinking of World Destruction for DS. ARF is the Wii title published by Marvelous.
And No More Heroes made them a lot of money from the publishing rights in North America via Ubisoft, and got them exposure as a risk-taking publisher, which is a largely unfilled title this generation.

There's still a long way to go from having a breakout indie hit, to challenging the SE's of this world, hell even a mid-level publisher.

And outside of a few disgruntled fanboys bearing a grudge, how much do you think the Wii userbase would actually care about which developers were there from the beginning and which were the bandwagon jumpers?

JaMarco

Dragona Akehi said:
FF:CC isn't dead.
It might as well be. What the hell is taking this game so long to be made? I mean if this game is re-shown and its not the best looking Wii game to date that would be very disappointing/

AmMortal

Banned
Shadow780 said:
Can someone explain why some of the titles are without demo play and footage? What are they planning to show?

Nothing absolutely nothing.

Eteric Rice said:
BUT HOW CAN SHE KNOW?!

Wow, it doesn't work with "know."

:/

Yes it does:p
HOW SHE CAN KNOW?!

Terrell

Die Squirrel Die said:
There's still a long way to go from having a breakout indie hit, to challenging the SE's of this world, hell even a mid-level publisher.

And outside of a few disgruntled fanboys bearing a grudge, how much do you think the Wii userbase would actually care about which developers were there from the beginning and which were the bandwagon jumpers?
Shareholders would care. The smaller companies that carried the Wii's 3rd-party success would also probably not take too kindly to being treated as further down the totem pole just because the big boys suddenly decided to enter the picture, as well. I mean, everyone talks about how Nintendo treated 3rd-parties badly, but giving the big names preferential treatment because they finally decide to treat Nintendo's console business seriously isn't the way to do that, cuz any one of those small companies could, in fact, be the next big name in gaming... and then where would Nintendo be? Seen as the villain to 3rd parties YET AGAIN, only this time the smaller companies would hold a grudge, and then Nintendo's essentially made an enemy of EVERY demographic of the development and publishing community.

Terrell said:
No, not a "Dream Team", just "hey, you supported Wii when everyone else was treating it like a red-headed step-child, so here's a head start on the bigger companies who treated us like dicks." It only makes sense to favor companies who share your vision and let the after-thought opportunists drown in their mistake, even from a financial standpoint, as the late-comers still get their dev kits, but the smaller companies get to sell their wares with less competition from big names and stay successfully in the game.
Nintendo can't be treated like a fairweather friend to these companies, because it gives an impression that Nintendo can be walked all over by 3rd-parties. SONY AND MS wouldn't put up with that shit, why would anyone expect Nintendo to?

Except Nintendo don't exist in a vacuum, you think if Nintendo start dicking around third parties, especially the bigger ones, out of retribution, that Sony and MS wouldn't try and play that to their advantage? If Nintendo start going 'hey, you guys are just going to have to wait for your Wii2 dev kits' that SE or Konami or whoever, aren't going to go 'well fine, guess we'll just have to start working on these PS4 and Xbox720 kits instead'.

Vargas

Terrell said:
Shareholders would care. The smaller companies that carried the Wii's 3rd-party success would also probably not take too kindly to being treated as further down the totem pole just because the big boys suddenly decided to enter the picture, as well. I mean, everyone talks about how Nintendo treated 3rd-parties badly, but giving the big names preferential treatment because they finally decide to treat Nintendo's console business seriously isn't the way to do that, cuz any one of those small companies could, in fact, be the next big name in gaming... and then where would Nintendo be?

Terrell said:

There is no scenario that you could paint where Marvelous Entertainment would get a dev kit before Square Enix for any serious console, aside from one where Nintendo is run by bitter fanboys instead of money-grubbing suits. Any slight by Nintendo towards a 3rd party would only result in further snubbing of their next console, not repentance and renewed support.

These companies are not children that need to be taught a lesson, they're clients that need to be wined, dined, and convinced that the Wii is a worthwhile launchpad for their products.

and I think you missed my reference to the N64. Nintendo has been down that road before. It didn't end well.

Terrell

Die Squirrel Die said:
Except Nintendo don't exist in a vacuum, you think if Nintendo start dicking around third parties, especially the bigger ones, out of retribution, that Sony and MS wouldn't try and play that to their advantage? If Nintendo start going 'hey, you guys are just going to have to wait for your Wii2 dev kits' that SE or Konami or whoever, aren't going to go 'well fine, guess we'll just have to start working on these PS4 and Xbox720 kits instead'.
Considering how well Wii has been doing with piss-poor 3rd-party support so far... one could argue that they CAN exist in a vacuum. Also, read the post above.

Vargas said:
Bungie says hi and STFU.

Eteric Rice

Sho_Nuff82 said:
There is no scenario that you could paint where Marvelous Entertainment would get a dev kit before Square Enix for any serious console, aside from one where Nintendo is run by bitter fanboys instead of money-grubbing suits. Any slight by Nintendo towards a 3rd party would only result in further snubbing of their next console, not repentance and renewed support.

These companies are not children that need to be taught a lesson, they're clients that need to be wined, dined, and convinced that the Wii is a worthwhile launchpad for their products.

I dunno, sometimes you read interviews and they seem more like kids/fanboys than actual kids/fanboys.

Top Bottom