• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadNames

Banned
Holy shit, those sound fuckawesome.

mind is full of fuck

Exactly.

Where's that video MTW promised? I wanted to see that shotty and jetpack :'(... But this guys leaks are a lot better and more clear though... Keep 'em coming, juryben!

Also, it seems the laser is a 4-Shot deal like Reach. Mixed feelings.

re: sounds. Since CE:A and the 4 preview videos, 343 has shown that their foley is cold / treble-y with a touch of flanger. Bungie's was warm and bassy with a touch of reverb.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Overdoziz

Banned
The Halo games have always been limited in their UI and control options. It is reasonable to assume they were designed so purposefully to keep players on as even a playing field as possible.
Well that even playing field went out the window a long time ago so give us more options.

If there was one thing I recall from the build I saw it was that you could really hear the weight of the spartans.
Yep, especially when running.

Spartan Laser sounds pretty sweet now. Too bad it's such a terrible weapon to keep around, especially when a real thing of finesse and beauty has been removed.

avnhm.png

Seriously.

Bioshock is a visual treat.

The game is 5 years old, of course the textures aren't up to today's standards. Doesn't mean the game doesn't still look great though.
Exactly. I wouldn't walk up to a wall in Metroid Prime and say the game looks terrible. Now those are batshit expectations.

btw, i was half joking fracas, don't go all sensygaf on me pls

Computron

So.

Let's get technical for a moment.

Here is what I have gathered, given my experience with Halo engine and how much we know about the technical details of Reach's and Halo 4's engine.
Textures. You guys are such jokers. Halo has a vastly more rich physical simulation than Call of Duty. I would wager that is the reason it cant render at the rates those games do.

No. Although the simulation is richer, that would not effect the renderer nearly as much as it would, say, networking.

The vast amount of engineering effort and research that goes into creating the Halo engine's deffered renderer would be wasted had they decided to target 60 FPS, which I doubt was seriously considered anytime after Halo Reach was planned out.
Bungie and 343 haven't put out any presentations with stats on their rendering pipeline directly, but other very similar games and engines have:
There are single parts in the deffered pipeline that cannot get much more parallelized which already take close to or more than the 16ms allotted to render your whole entire frame in a 60 FPS game.
As in, you haven't finished fully initializing all of the renderer and filling your g-buffers, let alone drawn a single final pixel into your framebuffer before COD is already putting their finished frame on screen.

A 60 FPS Halo game on 360 would not scale to 2x worse graphics, its not like you just cut the Texture resolution or the polygons in half and get 2x better performance.
It does not scale linearly, and so it will be quite a bit worse than even Halo 3.

Along with this, Deferred renderers make it much more straight forward to maintain and create complex graphical features and lets your artist have some breathing room.
You can have your team make a ton more content if you aren't so worried about making all your assets fit a stringent specification.

All this tech is not something you would abandon in exchange for the possibility to make a 60FPS game.

How about campaign stays 30 fps with good graphics and MP at 60fps with shitty graphics.
Deal?

That's a bad idea because you would likely end up having to manage 2 different renderers and all the glitches and optimization that goes with them and create content for two different specifications.
So it would likely have to be 60 FPS across the whole game or 30 FPS.
and as I said earlier, they aren't going to throw away all the engine work they did and also make the most expensive sequel to a Halo game yet look worse for 60FPS. These decisions are made early.

I wish next-next gen would hurry up, so then nothing would have to be sacrificed to create a pretty game that ran well.

Sadly this is also unlikely.
Twice as many mille seconds affords a disproportionately greater amount of graphical ability, which is a big part of the reason why it's chosen.
Also, it can make game development quite a bit easier which is a must for games with such a huge budget,
and hey, not all games or even genres need to be at 30 FPS.
Even FPSes, especially if they got great controlls and some way to perceptually make them feel smoother.

Also Carmack seems to think that developers and publishers won't find it as important.

so...

Until they decide things can look even prettier and we're back at 30 20fps.

...Sadly, yes. Although not necessarily just because they want it to look prettier.

Bioshock did it...

Bioshock was very different game and was also still targeted toward 30 fps. They allowed you to unlock the framerate with a stern warning of the risk of inconsistent framerates which is far worse, especially for multiplayer.

there is a good reason why this 'feature' is off by default.

-------------------------------------

BTW, If anyone has any corrections or comments to add, I would love to hear them.

Enfinit

Yep, especially when running.

Spartan Laser sounds pretty sweet now. Too bad it's such a terrible weapon to keep around, especially when a real thing of finesse and beauty has been removed.

http://i.imgur.com/avnhm.png/IMG][/QUOTE]

That is one sexy motherfucker.

Ramirez

Man, both of those weapons sound amazing to me, I love the sniper sound, though I seem to be in the minority...

Also, quit holding out hope that this game will some how magically have a better framerate than the past games. The only thing I hope for is that forge maps don't go down to single digits like Reach.

Computron

It can look like Halo 1 for all I care. I'd rather have 60fps.

I expected you would say that, but if you read the post, the point is not that it will just look worse, but it will also make development harder and be a waste of past investments.
And for what? As much as I want Halo at 60 FPS, it won't make that much of a difference to the majority of the customers. It's bad business.

Plus, I would argue that this 30 FPS series has done some very cool things in terms of controls and perceptually fooling your brain, with things like motion blur, into thinking the game is much smoother than most other 30 fps game.

Also, a lot of these thing I mentioned heavily factor into why forge is so limited, but that's a post for another day.
The point is it is not nearly as simple as most of HaloGAF makes it out to be.

"Black Ops 2 Will Change How You Think About Multiplayer"

Banned site?

Here's the quote.

"If u could only play what we R playing right now," Vonderhaar writes. "Will 4ever change how u think about winning or losing. 10 days and the lid comes off."

Big MP reveal is tomorrow!

Your move 343.

Meh.. Although I will say I hope Halo 4 has more planned with the MP, the new Infinity investment system is cool, but I also want to see the gameplay and modes have new offerings.

Now where is the Gamefuel?

Is this old?

Spartan Laser and Sniper Rifle Video

I feel like it must have been posted already, but I didn't see it scanning the last few pages. Sorry if I'm being an idiot.

Damn, that Laser sound is nice.. That thing seems freaking powerful. Too bad Im not a fan of the laser.. Anyways, anyone want to .gif that?

Sai-kun

Banned
Christ.

Let us change our vertical sensitivity. Please.

for the love of god

PLEASE LET ME DO THIS

LITERALLY EVERY OTHER GAME THAT IS GOOD AND THAT I ENJOY LETS ME DO THIS

holy shit

pls

also internet at my new place is pretty awesome and i'm loving it !!!!

2105501261.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom