• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Endor in Star Wars: Battlefront = Jolly Roger Bay in Super Mario 64

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
jk01VCa.png

Way back before the N64 was set to launch, I got to play a kiosk at Blockbuster with Super Mario 64, set in the Jolly Roger bay. It was absolutely mind-boggling at the time. I couldn't believe the graphics underwater...it was unreal. That, combined with the music and the fact that, for the first time ever, Mario was in 3D, and holy crap it was a crazy experience the first time I saw it. It felt like the future.

So today I booted up Battlefront on PS4, and having played the beta I knew it was a very nice looking game. Then my first match was on Endor, and holy freaking crap, I couldn't believe it. I can't believe how utterly gorgeous this game is. Suddenly it hit me again...the amazing visuals, sound, everything combined just made it an overwhelming impression. I didn't even want to play the mission, I just wanted to look around.

These pics don't do the game justice. Solid 60fps with the foliage swaying and laser beams/explosions flying everywhere makes this entire game seem like magic.

Every single clover in this image responds to people walking on it:

And the rest of the game doesn't look too shabby either (the clouds all move quickly across the landscape; it's not a static skybox):

I'm trying to remember the last time I've had such a reaction to how a game looks. I just don't know how they did it. Literally the only negative aspect of the engine for consoles is the 900p on PS4 (and a bit lower on XB1). If they can up the resolution for future games, then the Frostbite engine will be the best looking engine ever. I mean, it already looks spectacular on PC.

Anyways, sorry if this sounds like a PR man hyping up a damn game engine, but man, I feel like next gen just started with this game. Anyone else experience the same?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Oh you meant the visual impact. I feel you OP.

For a sec I was wondering why anyone would compare something to the WORST level in Mario 64.

I can't possibly think of a better comparison for Star Wars Battlefront than an area that looks and sounds nice but is really just a hole in the ground

If nintendo made a true sequel to Mario 64 for the nx and just nailed it. I would be tge happiest man alive. It needs a true hd remasters. Just put it in 1080p even

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The Endor environments running at a steady 60fps are the best thing I've seen this gen. Just fantastic. I never thought I would see foliage density like that in a 60fps game, especially not when it's also interactive.

TaterTots

Banned
It has the best visuals and audio this gen imo. It is also plain simple fun. I feel like Dice did a great job no matter what critics say.

NightOnyx

Yeah the game looks amazing and runs extremely well. Endor in particular show this off the best, especially in big battles with lasers flying all over the place and giant walkers messing people up. While it's a big area, all the trees give it a very closed in chaotic feel, it's quite the experience. Dice really did nail exactly how being in a Star Wars environment should feel, look, and sound.

Way back before the N64 was set to launch, I got to play a kiosk at Blockbuster with Super Mario 64, set in the Jolly Roger bay. It was absolutely mind-boggling at the time. I couldn't believe the graphics underwater...it was unreal. That, combined with the music and the fact that, for the first time ever, Mario was in 3D, and holy crap it was a crazy experience the first time I saw it. It felt like the future.

I remember playing Mario 64 in a kiosk in Toys R Us. It would kick you out after 5 minutes, but it saved progress, so as more people played it, more levels opened up. And the first couple of zones were cool, sure. But, yeah, you get to Jolly Roger Bay, and that music starts playing, and you dive into the water and realize you can go anywhere... My 13-year-old heart couldn't handle it. Just hearing the first seven notes of that song still causes me to tear up a little, paints a 6 foot grin across my face and gives me a gigantic erection. Wait, did I just make that weird? Sorry about that.

I tried the beta of Battlefront, and it just didn't capture me in the same way. But I'm glad it's connected with you. Maybe I just need to play Endor.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I remember playing Mario 64 in a kiosk in Toys R Us. It would kick you out after 5 minutes, but it saved progress, so as more people played it, more levels opened up. And the first couple of zones were cool, sure. But, yeah, you get to Jolly Roger Bay, and that music starts playing, and you dive into the water and realize you can go anywhere... My 13-year-old heart couldn't handle it. Just hearing the first seven notes of that song still causes me to tear up a little, paints a 6 foot grin across my face and gives me a gigantic erection. Wait, did I just make that weird? Sorry about that.

I tried the beta of Battlefront, and it just didn't capture me in the same way. But I'm glad it's connected with you. Maybe I just need to play Endor.

Yeah the beta didn't really blow me away, I just thought it was a great looking game but it didn't impact me at all like Endor does.

NewGame

Banned
I don't really empathize with what's going on here. Jolly Roger Bay looked good to you? I was more amazed about the first water level and the freedom of movement allowed and all the tense nature of not suffocating while trying to get a star at a spoopy sunken ship.

Battlefront is just a shootbanger with nice grfx, what exactly compares the two? Did you shoot that rebel really good or something? I mean really really good?

I don't really empathize with what's going on here. Jolly Roger Bay looked good to you? I was more amazed about the first water level and the freedom of movement allowed and all the tense nature of not suffocating while trying to get a star at a spoopy sunken ship.

Battlefront is just a shootbanger with nice grfx, what exactly compares the two? Did you shoot that rebel really good or something? I mean really really good?
Did you read the OP? He's comparing his feeling of first playing SM64 with the first time he played Endor on Battlefront.

Not only does endor look amazing. It also provides some destruction in form of the trees breaking, which is awesome.

I also wanted to stop and look around the map op :p you are not the only one. I actually felt the same way regarding hoth when I played the beta, but endor is just that step further.

Slixshot

Banned
My friends and I continue to say "Damn this game looks good. Damn that looked cool!" and I continue to look at the level of detail in amazement. Best game I've ever seen? I think so.

Reese-015

I played the beta and was quite impressed with it and Endor does look amazing but it all doesn't feel like a big leap beyond BF4. Not sure if I'd be mindblown if I would get a chance to play the Endor level. Either way, the game looks absolutely fantastic, it's just the effect of diminishing returns I guess.

Tagyhag

It truly is gorgeous, blows my mind that they targeted 60fps as well. Who says that 60fps console games can't look amazing?

Unfortunately there's going to be uglier 30fps games out there.

Pastry

Banned
I played the beta and was quite impressed with it and Endor does look amazing but it all doesn't feel like a big leap beyond BF4. Not sure if I'd be mindblown if I would get a chance to play the Endor level. Either way, the game looks absolutely fantastic, it's just the effect of diminishing returns I guess.
I still play BF4 and going from that yesterday to Battlefront oh boy lol. Compare something like Zavod or Operation Outbreak where they tried to do a forest/jungle then to Endor and its light years apart.

Coming from Halo 5, i was shocked how amazing Battlefront looked on Xbox One.
Everyone was applausing 343 for 60fps.. but man... sry DICE did a way better job. 60fps and Eyecandy.

It really feels like the first true currentgen game to me. And yeah i love playing on Endor. Its my favorit map.

I still play BF4 and going from that yesterday to Battlefront oh boy lol. Compare something like Zavod or Operation Outbreak where they tried to do a forest/jungle then to Endor and its light years apart.

Yeah i was shocked when i tried out Operation Outbreak how "bad" it looked. Looked very rough and unfinished.

I hated Jolly Roger Bay playing Mario 64 as a kid. I hate every swimming mission, actually, because movement was slow and imprecise and most underwater areas looked predictably similar.

People speak very highly of it in terms of technology, though. But its beauty was lost on me and still is. :(

Gurish

I think that Endor is the most impressive thing I've seen this gen, I can totally get why it would be someone's "first true next gen moment", at least until U4 and QB comes out, but this level is definitely one of the highlights (if not THE) of this gen so far.

PSYGN

The graphics in this game impressed me a lot more than what I've seen of U4 did. I hope U4 gets to this level.

Everyone was applausing 343 for 60fps.. but man... sry DICE did a way better job. 60fps and Eyecandy.

It really feels like the first true currentgen game to me. And yeah i love playing on Endor. Its my favorit map.

Yeah i was shocked when i tried out Operation Outbreak how "bad" it looked. Looked very rough and unfinished.
Eh, I played both last night. Without getting into gameplay quibbles
Halo>>>>> Battlefront
Halo has a nice look even when compared to BF. I'm not saying it looks better technically in any way but that I still prefer the clean look in Halo for a shooter. That said I have to acknowledge that BF nailed the Star Wars aesthetic better than any SW game before. I just haven't had a lick of fun with the game yet.

Yep, but it's still a shame that it's 720p. Big Xbox fan here...but we're in fucking 2015 and still coping with that resolution. In no way DICE's fault though. It does show that 720p can still look quite amazing. I am only speaking about the beta now, i don't have the full version yet.

mclem

But... that's not Endor. That's the Forest Moon of Endor.

(Although, that said, the Forest Moon of Endor really does deserve a proper name by now)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I had thought about starting a "Bullshot Post-Mortem" thread, because I think SWBF is one of the rare games where the bullshots are matched or possibly beaten by the final game.

EDIT: I mean, look at this shit:

Dennis managed to pretty much recreate that soldier debut shot of Battlefield 3 back in the day as well.

texore

I had thought about starting a "Bullshot Post-Mortem" thread, because I think SWBF is one of the rare games where the bullshots are matched or possibly beaten by the final game.

EDIT: I mean, look at this shit:
I was kind of on the fence when they first revealed it. At first I was "c'mon guys let's wait till the game comes out" and sometimes I was like "no way it will look like that."

They did a great job, I'm excited to see future Star Wars games using frostbite.

Star Wars 1313 please come back *crosses fingers*

Top Bottom