• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: "We would like to enrich our Virtual Console lineup"

amnesiac

(This was said during the Q&A Investor Meeting, which there is a thread on. Thought this deserved its own though.)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/nintendo_would_like_to_enrich_its_virtual_console_lineup

In terms of taking greater advantage of our previous assets, I feel that there are two points to consider. As we first began to do on Wii, one method would be to release games for our previous consoles, such as Nintendo Entertainment System or Super Nintendo Entertainment System, on other Nintendo consoles as Virtual Console games.

While Wii U and Nintendo 3DS already offer Virtual Console software, I feel that we have not been able to take full advantage of our assets yet, so we would like to enrich our Virtual Console lineup.

As the ability to digitally offer our products has given us greater flexibility in offering new propositions to our consumers, we should naturally consider these possibilities in the future. The other point is, as you mentioned, whether we should release our games on smart devices. At the moment, however, we believe a more balanced approach would be to use our content to increase the value of our hardware as opposed to distributing it on smart devices, and therefore, we have no plans to release Nintendo content on smart devices.

Richie

About fucking time, my wallet's ready.

Iwata really has a talent for truly recognizing the faults of his company.
Acting up on them, however ...
Man has my respect, but come on now, follow words with action.

Only 7 years late on this realization.

Seriously, up the internal resolution for ALL VC titles, add some new features (online play), something. Make the games transferable from Wii U to 3DS. It's sad that Sony is doing this with their legacy games better than Nintendo on a dead handheld. Come on.

cafemomo

Make those words into reality.

I want SNES and GBA VC on my 3DS.

I'll forget all about the silly account system

Go right ahead, assholes.

I'm salty tonight. Strep throat. I'm the only person on the planet who got ACTUALLY sick on CoD release day.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Whenever Iwata talks it's always 'We should do this.... we'd like to do this... we're sorry we didn't do this...' just fucking do it!

DigitalOp

Banned
"We would like to enrich our titles..."

Then fucking do it... Every always talks about this and that but never does shit.

Whats the damn point of this statement?

do-it.gif

"... for the next Nintendo systems. We promise. A whole two titles a week! Maybe."

Seriously, it's great they've acknowledged the issue, but man is it a little too late two and a half years into the 3DS's life and a year into the Wii U's. No trace of N64, Gamecube, or GBA for any platform. No regular or genuine attempts at updating the service both periodically or substantially. Messy situations where you can pay twice for the same twenty year old NES game.

It needs a firm reboot. Whether that's the account system or Emily Rogers rumored Cross Buy-esque system, I don't know, but something. The service is incredibly stagnant, and for a company with as rich a back-catalogue as Nintendo, there's very little excuse.

When another company like Sega (with their Game Gear emulator) wipe the floor with your own native efforts, it's humiliating. Oh look, a nice border around the game. Yeah, kinda cool. Very basic save state system. For GB/GBC games Select remapped to Y but Start not remapped to X for some ridiculous, mind-bogglingly fucking dumb reason. The latter alone would make the GB Zeldas less of a chore to play.

Overall, Grade (V)C, must try harder.

Elija2

You've already got a rich Virtual Console lineup.

On the Wii.

If they're gonna have to keep re-porting their Virtual Console titles every time they put out a new system they might as well give up now. There's gotta be a better way.

Barakov

Release the games people want, more often. It's just empty promises until they act on it consistently.

entremet

I just don't get why Nintendo doesn't follow an app store model.

Buy the game once, have an account system, and have the libraries available on all platforms?

I guess QAing all those games is the bottleneck? How many times are we gonna buy Super Mario Brothers. It's getting crazy.

jaz013

Banned
It's like they are afraid too many people would buy their games or their systems.

It just baffles me.

Missing so far: N64 and NeoGeo, heck, why not go all out to Sega, Capcom and Konami's arcades?

Also, Saturn and DreamCast, it MUST happen (see the 3D arcade offerings for reference).

less lip service, more action. Especially when it's something they should have figured out years ago. Not giving them the benefit of the doubt when VC has been handled so poorly.

rjc571

Banned
Only 7 years late on this realization.

Seriously, up the internal resolution for ALL VC titles, add some new features (online play), something. Make the games transferable from Wii U to 3DS.

Uh, you realize increasing the internal resolution of emulated 2D games is impossible, right? Nintendo increases the internal resolution of N64 games on the Wii Virtual Console, and I expect that they'll do the same thing when they bring N64 games to the Wii U. But anything older than N64 is going to be stuck in its original resolution.

Unify 3DS and Wii U accounts. I ain't buying shit twice for two platforms. And put more GBA games on 3DS, the taste Nintendo gave us Ambassadors is too sweet to let it go further unfulfilled.

mattx5

they have the greatest video game library in history and many people would buy wii u just to have a dedicated nostalgia machine, and yet they're barely exploiting it.

Top Bottom