• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| Go For The Eyes Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
poe0_9gzt_zpsnmzm7oe1.jpg

"A good OT is delayed. A bad OT is bad forever." - the maker of Mario Brothers

whatispillars_by_intheflorsh-d8n4gex.png

dB17M1K.jpg

Back in, like, a long time ago, Obsidian Entertainment made a Kickstarter for a Spiritual Successor to the Infinity Engine games. It made a metric boat-load of money.

Making of Eternity (First 15 minutes), Documentary
Part 1
Part 2

What is an Infinity Engine game?
The short answer is a long-form, isometric, rather full-blooded RPG of the old days before Video Games Became A Thing. They focused as much on dialogue as well as combat, as much on exploration as well as combat, on.... uh.... not combat as much as combat? The characters you met were bold, they were interesting and real, and they were weird.

So how does PoE differ from those?
It is not beholden to a D&D ruleset, as it is a completely original IP with its own rules and stuff. The world, Eora, is fresh and not held back by a pre-existing mythology.

Pillars Wiki.

Okay, okay, so, Humble OP, what is the story?
Okay, so it's like a world where souls actually exist as a thing and other cultures either worship or dismiss them or... it's all very mysterious and fantasy-like. You play as a Sort Of Chosen One, someone that has experienced a great trauma that gives you special junk that makes you awesome.

In other words, it is a video game.

characters_by_intheflorsh-d8n4gfn.png

Elves? Dwarves?
Humans, Elves, Dwarves. But also, the races of the Aumaua (think the Navi'i from Avatar mixed with the Qunari from Dragon Age), and the Orlan (furry rabbit dwarf-gnome things). Then there are the Godlike. These guys have weird crests on their heads and correspond to Moon, Fire, Death, or Nature types. Each race has their own abilities as well as perks. Then you get to pick your background, which furthers your abilities. There is also the feature of a Living Biography (name I made up just now). Meaning that your journal will add new details to your bio depending on what you reveal to NPCs about yourself. It's really cool. Makes a dragon wanna retire, man.

classes_by_intheflorsh-d8n4gfc.png

classes1_zpsxoqsrmym.jpg

classes2_zpshp8vujk4.jpg

classes3_zpshusfof7r.jpg

Class Videos
Barbarian
Fighter
Cipher
Chanter
Ranger
Wizard
Priest
Monk
Paladin
Druid
Rogue

videosandmedia_by_intheflorsh-d8n4gf5.png

PAX 2015
Sensuki's Guide to Chargen
Sensuki's Guide to mechanics
Sensuki's Guide to Gameplay
Giant Bomb QuickLook

wheretobuy_by_intheflorsh-d8n4gef.png

Steam
GoG
Obsidian

RELEASES, LIKE, TOMORROW AT 9AM PST. So March 26th, 2015.

Much thanks to InTheFlourish for help with the art and videos, and for the original PoE thread for additional images.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My body is ready.

Fire Godlike Chanter with David Bowie-themed song names is about to take the world by storm.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It wasn't until I got an update email that I remembered I ordered a physical copy of this, the only Kickstarter I've done so.

Pretty excited :). Might not start until Bloodborne is done and dusted though. Want this to be a game I can sink in a good amount of uninterrupted play time.

Rolling a Death Godlike Druid. I might make my own batform mod before starting though..

Ps subscribed for all time
until OT 2 OBVIOUSLY

ZiZ

I don't know where to ask this, and it might be a dumb question, but how different is this from Divinity Original Sin? if I liked it will I probably like this game?

Labadal

I don't know where to ask this, and it might be a dumb question, but how different is this from Divinity Original Sin? if I liked it will I probably like this game?

Original Sin is turn-based. The tone was more light hearted and the writing wasn't its strongest points. I personally love Original Sin because of said turn-based combat.

In Pillars of Eternity, combat plays in real time with an option to pause (you will probably pause a lot). You control a party of six characters. The tone of the game is more serious and has some of the best writing talent in the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom