• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed only lets you play as Human or Elfs

Dazraell

I’ve stated multiple times in this thread that I’m happy to wait for reviews. You won’t find a single post made by me in this thread drumming up hype for the game or claiming it’s going to be some GOTY tier game. I truly don’t know how it’ll land, even though Obsidian has a good track record. I’m not going to play it if it’s bad, same way I happily gave Redfall a miss.

It’s your prerogative if you’re not excited about the game. And I’ve not contested that. All I’ve contested - factually - is misleading narratives that there are major or essential missing features from the game. There’s certainly no real intent from anyone to explain how there’s a significant impact on quality from these design decisions they’ve made.

Man, all I did is sharing my opinion that based on what Obsidian has shown, I'm not really that thrilled about Avowed. I don't like when someone is attacking me and implying that all I do is reading headlines (and on fucking Kotaku out of all the websites) and don't bother to learn more about the game where I actually do try to keep up with the news, to the best of my ability, that is. I loved majority of Obsidian games and honestly wish them the best

That being said, I'm not gonna pretend that I like some of their design choices, especially the one with limiting the character creation to 2 races. While the limited races are explained in the lore, I still feel it is a bad design choice as it limits you from something that could actually be a very unique and interesting element of Avowed. Human and elves are the most generic races you can get in the fantasy genre and this world has much more than that - there are godlikes, aumauans, or orlans and each of them have unique looks that could give players some interesting options during character creation, which honestly is quite important part of this type of RPGs. And these options could be much more in-depth than in Pillars of Eternity

I don't really have any strong opinion on the classless system. It kinda sounds like Skyrim where you can just create your own build and adjust it by focusing on things you want to while playing the game, so with a right approach it can definitely work. Obsidian was never good with romances, so it's not really a big issue for me. They require a lot of time and attention and I would rather prefer them to do it right instead of half-assing it. What I didn't liked though is not including approval system for companions as stuff like this makes them feel much more integrated into your adventures and can be really deep and interesting way of exploring their personalities

Either way, I don't really say it's a deal breaker or anything like that. It just sucks that things I thought will be in the game turns out to not be in it. And unfortuantely in the case of Avowed this already happened a few times. What's also most important these things not being in the game isn't a misinformation, it's just a fact. I'm not really blaming anyone here though. All I'm just saying that I'm not a fan of these design choices, even if they have certain explanation behind them

Boralf

Do I need to play their 1st mod to understand things? or is it more of an enriching the experience thing?
I don't think so. I never have and understood it all perfectly fine. I guess it's a bit like Skyrim, which you can also play without having played the previous games.

Gravemind

Anybody pissing and moaning about this weren't even going to play this game in the first place.

Just a bunch of twats that just incessantly complain about everything on here like usual.

Last edited:
Top Bottom