• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old? 6m PSP in Europe and 19m worldwide SHIPPED (NO IT DOESN'T COUNT AS SOLD)

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Is this posted? I really used search and found nothing. Soory if its old.
jeux-france.com said:
Sony Computer Entertainment announces to have delivered more than 6 million PlayStation Portable in Europe from its exit in September 2005. The quantity of PlayStation Portable delivered throughout the world rises now to 19 million units.

Neo Child

Banned
DarienA said:

Gah, too fast.

Sony Computer Entertainment announces to have delivered more than 6 million PlayStation Portable in Europe from its exit in September 2005. The quantity of PlayStation Portable delivered throughout the world rises now to 19 million units.

Can't they just say SOLD?!

delivered almost certainly is translated from "shipped" via babelfish.

not that i care about such things, but if i didn't say it, a nintendrone would've.

koam

kia said:
Is this posted? I really used search and found nothing. Soory if its old.

I don't see that on jeux-france, link or paste the original french text so i can translate it.

Thomper

Must be shipped. Last time all the numbers from USA and Japan were added, the number for Europe would have to be 10 million or something to have 20 million shipped. So this is shipped, probably.

starship

sugarhigh4242 said:
delivered almost certainly is translated from "shipped" via babelfish.

not that i care about such things, but if i didn't say it, a nintendrone would've.
But Sony had shipped more than 20m by late July, why does it announce 19m shipment now, in late August?

jarrod

Banned
Ha! It's cute how SCEI keeps overshipping to look like they're keeping pace with DS, PR must love it, but it's going to backfire soon... 30-40% of your units in channel is never good.

thatbox

Banned
koam said:
I don't see that on jeux-france, link or paste the original french text so i can translate it.

It's right.

First comment mentions the shipped/sold thing, too :)

ça fait donc 19 millions de PSP livrées...contre 21 millions de DS vendues...l'écart se creuse...irrémédiablement...peut etre que la PSP Pink va relancer un peu les ventes...mais j'ai comme un doute ...

starship

Thomper said:
Must be shipped. Last time all the numbers from USA and Japan were added, the number for Europe would have to be 10 million or something to have 20 million shipped. So this is shipped, probably.
Yeah, there is no way that 19m figure is sold through but why sony announces 19m now when it's announced more than 20m by late July?

koam

Sony Computer Entertainment annonce avoir livré plus de 6 millions de PlayStation Portable en Europe depuis sa sortie en septembre 2005. La quantité de PlayStation Portable livrées à travers le monde s'élève maintenant à 19 millions d'unités.

Translated by a human =

Sony Computer Entertainment has announced that they have shipped over 6 million Playstation Portables to Europe since its debut in September 2005. The number of shipped Playstation Portables units worldwide has now reached 19 million.

Juice

kia said:
But Sony had shipped more than 20m by late July, why does it announce 19m shipment now, in late August?

The same way they announced manufacture of the PS3 in July and now it hasn't started yet in late August.

It's part of their control over the 4th dimension: time.

Er...guys, go to the source for real words used...which happen to be SCEE press office. Not jeux-france eh?

Seems SCEE used June figures instead of July for PSP total shipments...

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdatapsp_e.html
2006/06/30 19.05 million units (Japan: 5.13 million/ USA: 7.57 million/ Europe: 6.35 million)
2006/07/24 20.02 million units (Japan: 5.20 million/ USA: 8.17 million/ Europe: 6.65 million)

starship

Juice said:
The same way they announced manufacture of the PS2 in July and now it hasn't started yet in late August.

It's part of their control over the 4th dimension: time.
:lol Sony is dumb.

Furoba

jarrod said:
Ha! It's cute how SCEI keeps overshipping to look like they're keeping pace with DS, PR must love it, but it's going to backfire soon... 30-40% of your units in channel is never good.

Can't drop the price when your retailers bought it for a higher price hu?

jarrod

Banned
kia said:
Yeah, there is no way that 19m figure is sold through but why sony announces 19m now when it's announced more than 20m by late July?
Maybe...

20m+ = production shipments = left manufacturing bases
19m = shipments = left storage/warehousing

...I dunno why Sony might make that distinction now though?

jarrod

Banned
kia said:
Maybe...

At the end of June, more than 4.5 millions of PSP have been sold in Europe (Sony also announced this early this week). I think that now is aprox 5 millions.

Furoba

Of course, it is cheaper for them to produce a lot more units than required, and send those through retail.
It would be a lot more expensive having to produce them in smaller quantities, or having to store them somewhere in warehouses...

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Er...guys, go to the source for real words used...which happen to be SCEE press office. Not jeux-france eh?

Seems SCEE used June figures instead of July for PSP total shipments...

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdatapsp_e.html
2006/06/30 19.05 million units (Japan: 5.13 million/ USA: 7.57 million/ Europe: 6.35 million)
2006/07/24 20.02 million units (Japan: 5.20 million/ USA: 8.17 million/ Europe: 6.65 million)

Kaz just said a few days ago in the Gamespot interview that the US has 5 million units, not 8.17.

"I think we cleared 20 million units worldwide within the first what, about 18 months or so. And in the US, we've already cleared 5.2 million"

Rocked said:
Tell us how much you've actually sold, pussies.
They did...

jarrod said:
Maybe...

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Hint: FY0607 Q1 ends on June 30th not July 24th.

I think thats very likely the reason...

jarrod

Banned
Furoba said:
Of course, it is cheaper for them to produce a lot more units than required, and send those through retail.
It would be a lot more expensive having to produce them in smaller quantities, or having to store them somewhere in warehouses...
Not if they clog up retail, forcing production to stop entirely (see: GameCube in 2004) or are forced to eat a price drop to clear it out (see: GameCube in 2003). High unsold inventories are rarely a good thing, and PSP's tracking lower to shipped than any other platform in history we have data on.

I'm more shocked that retail's allowed this level of oversaturation... SCEI must have insane pull, I doubt Nintendo or MGS would be allowed to overdo it this far...

OldJadedGamer said:
Kaz just said a few days ago in the Gamespot interview that the US has 5 million units, not 8.17.

"I think we cleared 20 million units worldwide within the first what, about 18 months or so. And in the US, we've already cleared 5.2 million"
Its Hirai anyway, that 5.2m is sold, 20m is shippped.

Robinspain said:
At the end of June, more than 4.5 millions of PSP have been sold in Europe (Sony also announced this early this week). I think that now is aprox 5 millions.

I have a hard time believing it did 500k in half of a month. That'd be more than 160k a week for three weeks, man.

jarrod

Banned
A Link to the Past said:
I have a hard time believing it did 500k in half of a month. That'd be more than 160k a week for three weeks, man.
Robin's clearly mixed up DS Lite and PSP figures. ;)

starship

A Link to the Past said:
He said at the end of June actually, Although I don't believe anything Sony says.

starship

jarrod said:
So what would be a good "sold through" estimate for PSP & DS by region through July?
DS:

NA ~ 6m
Europe ~ 5.8m
Japan ~ 9.9m
Other ~ 0.7m
------------------
Total ~ 22.4

PSP:

NA ~ 5.2m
Europe ~ 4.5m
Japan ~ 3.7m
Other ~ 0.6m
---------------
Total ~ 14m

From the original articles...

Since the European launch of the ‘Black’ PSP in September 2005 and the Ceramic White PSP in May 2006, PSP is now in the hands of more than 4.5 million consumers throughout Europe.
It doesn't sound like June, does it?

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE), based in London, is responsible for the distribution, marketing and sales of PlayStation®2 and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) software and hardware in 104 territories across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Oceania. SCEE also develops, publishes, markets and distributes entertainment software for these formats, and manages the third party licensing programs for the platforms in these territories. Between its European debut on 24th November 2000 and the end of June 2006, over 39.5 million PlayStation®2 consoles have been shipped across the SCEE territories, over 106 million worldwide, making it one of the most successful consumer electronic products in history. Between its European debut on 1st September 2005 and the end of June 2006, over 6 million PSP systems have been shipped across the SCEE territories, with over 19 million shipped worldwide since its Japanese launch in December 2004.
As I said, they are giving Fiscal Year 2006-2007 Q1 numbers, shipped numbers of course. And by end of June, PSP was at 19m shipped, by end of July, 20m shipped.

EDIT: I forgot to add [/thread]

Sony's stocking up for Christmas earlier every year...

My estimated DS sales by region up to July:
dsbyregionld1.png

Argh it's still blurry!
What's wrong with Excel!?

LTD as of July:
Japan - 9.948m (media-create)
N. America - 6.176m (NPD+11%)
PAL - 5.31m (my estimate)

Your PAL estimate is definitely too low. Nintendo announced a sell through of 5m ~10 days after the DS Lite launch. Just one or two weeks ago we got this ~140k per week figure, so it's definitely above 5.5m and is probably about to cross 6m or already has.

Wulfer

It doesn't matter anymore developers favor the DS because of the large user base. PSP will have to settle with 2nd place this gen.

Deku

Banned
Forceatowulf said:
Sony and their "shipped" numbers... that shit is really getting old.

Which reminds me. IGN's impartial news monkeys recently mentioned PSP and DS WW sales for some news story. The author cleverly used shipped PSP (20m) and shipped DS which he put at (21m), effectively underreporting DS sales. It's not technically wrong, of course, so they won't get burned for it.

If I didn't know any better, I would have thought it was a tight race. Smart!

Kroole

Deku said:
Which reminds me. IGN's impartial news monkeys recently mentioned PSP and DS WW sales for some news story. The author cleverly used shipped PSP (20m) and shipped DS which he put at (21m), effectively underreporting DS sales. It's not technically wrong, of course, so they won't get burned for it.

If I didn't know any better, I would have thought it was a tight race. Smart!

Wasn't that Morris @ CNN?

Top Bottom