• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old? 6m PSP in Europe and 19m worldwide SHIPPED (NO IT DOESN'T COUNT AS SOLD)

Rocked said:
Tell us how much you've actually sold, pussies.

Right back at you, 360?

Seriously, though, people whine all the time when Sony uses shipped figures (which they're completley honest about), but when Microsoft throws out shipped numbers (and uses the dubious phrasing "sold" - re: 5 million 360s) people just go "well, lol, Sony does it too!" and dismiss it. Or try to explain that having units in retail stores is somehow equivalent.

kia said:
PSP:

NA ~ 5.2m
Europe ~ 4.5m
Japan ~ 3.7m
Other ~ 0.6m
---------------
Total ~ 14m
I thought it passed .6m in Korea alone...

I mean, I'm not trynna say "You forgot such and such place" but I think the PSP mightve sold stronger in "other" territories than other systems barring PS1/2 usually do.

jarrod

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
I thought it passed .6m in Korea alone...

I mean, I'm not trynna say "You forgot such and such place" but I think the PSP mightve sold stronger in "other" territories than other systems barring PS1/2 usually do.
Sales were strong initially (130k shipped in it's first 6 weeks) but then it reportedly slowed to a halt (only 200k shipped total as of November 2005). I'd say 300-350k now in Korea's probably a safer bet but it gets tricky figuring "sold through" figures... 600k for Asia Pacific may actually be on target honestly.

jarrod said:
Sales were strong initially (130k shipped in it's first 6 weeks) but then it reportedly slowed to a halt (only 200k shipped total as of November 2005). I'd say 300-350k now in Korea's probably a safer bet but it gets tricky figuring "sold through" figures... 600k for Asia Pacific may actually be on target honestly.
Cool. where'd you get your info?

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Right back at you, 360?

Seriously, though, people whine all the time when Sony uses shipped figures (which they're completley honest about), but when Microsoft throws out shipped numbers (and uses the dubious phrasing "sold" - re: 5 million 360s) people just go "well, lol, Sony does it too!" and dismiss it. Or try to explain that having units in retail stores is somehow equivalent.
Are you trying to say GAF is biased somehow?

Dilbert

Mario said:
Complaining and arguing about "shipped" versus "sold" is what is getting old.
Yup.

I swear, jarrod must remove his pants and get busy with himself every time he sees a thread where he gets to gloat over PSP sales numbers.

Lets get some DS numbers shipped in here! :lol

We gotta discuss/mock SOMETHING, I wouldn't say arguing about "shipped" versus "sold" is what is getting old..... I still enjoy it. ^_^

Also:

Doomed!! :lol

Forceatowulf said:
Are you trying to say GAF is biased somehow?

Not necessarily, but only Sony seems to get bitched at about this topic. MS has released nothin but shipped figures and shipped targets for 360, and nobody bats an eye.

Maybe the thinking is that Sony is only releasing shipped numbers for PSP because it is being 'destroyed' by DS in sales, and they're afraid of releasing the actual numbers... though they've almost exclusively released shipped numbers for PS2 too, despite objectively annihilating the competition.

Shipped = Sold in sony's financials. If they are shipping consistently, that means that retailers have had to re-order, meaning that consumers are buying the product.

WTF is so hard to understand about this?

OMG Shipped != Sold therefore Sony isn't actually making money off teh PSP!

Sony sells to retailers, retailers sell to consumers. Retailers = shipped.

koam

Not necessarily, but only Sony seems to get bitched at about this topic. MS has released nothin but shipped figures and shipped targets for 360, and nobody bats an eye.

Maybe the thinking is that Sony is only releasing shipped numbers for PSP because it is being 'destroyed' by DS in sales, and they're afraid of releasing the actual numbers... though they've almost exclusively released shipped numbers for PS2 too, despite objectively annihilating the competition.

Uhh, of course they do. Don't you remember the 6 million X360 fiasco?

artful_dodger said:
Shipped = Sold in sony's financials. If they are shipping consistently, that means that retailers have had to re-order, meaning that consumers are buying the product.

WTF is so hard to understand about this?

OMG Shipped != Sold therefore Sony isn't actually making money off teh PSP!

Sony sells to retailers, retailers sell to consumers. Retailers = shipped.

The reason people bitch about Sony's shipped numbers is because the disparity between their shipped numbers and sales tracking like NPD is much larger than, say, Nintendo's.

Which means comparing "shipped" to "shipped" is not apples to apples. What's so hard to understand about that?

And don't be so sure about the "re-order" bit there. Sony is very arrogant with retailers (I'm not saying they're the only one, btw). They can and do ship things that retailers don't want or need. I don't know if they've done this with the PSP, but they certainly did it with Killzone.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi

I was actually being sarcastic but you still make a good point.

The number of unsold PSPs in the retail channel in the US alone is roughly equal to the number of PSPs that Sony has sold through in Japan.

yeah.

Deku

Banned
If Sony didn't overship PSPs and then turn around and keep releasing these same numbers over and over again there would be no real issue.

Juice

Kobun Heat said:
The number of unsold PSPs in the retail channel in the US alone is roughly equal to the number of PSPs that Sony has sold through in Japan.

yeah.

I want you, your waggle wand, and your inconvenient truths out of this thread! Scoot!

Juice

I just thought of one reason why it's good that Sony keeps overdelivering PSP units: it keeps the backstock at as low a firmware as possible. Should anything ever happen to mine, it's comforting to know that there are still 4 million unsold (and downgradeable) 2.6 units on shelves.

Mook1e

Wasn't there a thread a few weeks ago with details of the last quarter's PSP shipments and they were horribly low?

If Sony isn't trying to clear out the "old" model PSP before a redesign re-launch, they're going to start looking even more foolish as less and less PSPs are "sold" to retailers per quarter from now on.

Mook1e

Deku said:
If Sony didn't overship PSPs there would be no real issue.
Fixed.
No one complains about Sony posting shipped numbers for PS2, because it's actually selling (and number 1)

Mook1e said:
Wasn't there a thread a few weeks ago with details of the last quarter's PSP shipments and they were horribly low?

If Sony isn't trying to clear out the "old" model PSP before a redesign re-launch, they're going to start looking even more foolish as less and less PSPs are "sold" to retailers per quarter from now on.

They shipped about 2m which was probably still more than PSP sold.

cvxfreak

Mook1e said:
Fixed.
No one complains about Sony posting shipped numbers for PS2, because it's actually selling (and number 1)

I think that's a pretty important detail in the whole argument.

Top Bottom