• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF Sequence: Playing the Final Fantasy main series chronologically

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I've decided I'm going to play the entire FF main series (no Spin-offs), from FF I - FF XIII. I'm going to be blogging my observations and play-throughs here: http://finalfantasysequence.com/ & I'll try to keep this topic up to date with my progress as well.

I would LOVE to take this journey with others! There is no set pace, but it will probably be pretty darn leisurely. So if you feel like taking a trip down FF memory lane, by all means come along with me. I would love if anyone wanted to play all the titles like I am... but obviously folks are free to jump in and out as I progress up to their favorites.

The plan:

CURRENTLY: Final Fantasy (NES)
Final Fantasy II (NES – English fan translation)
Final Fantasy III (NES – English fan translation)
Final Fantasy IV (SNES)
Final Fantasy V (SNES)
Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)
Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
MAYBE: Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2)
UNLIKELY: Final Fantasy XI (PC)
Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
MAYBE: Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3)
UNLIKELY: Final Fantasy XIV

Edit: I submitted blog link to reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/f8mbe/ff_sequence_a_blog_about_playing_the_entire_final/

Jonnyram

If I had that much time, I would rather just devote it all to playing FFXI properly, to be honest, instead of replaying the games I've already played.

GDJustin

FF1: Killing Imps & Wiping to Madponies
http://finalfantasysequence.com/2011/01/ff1-killing-imps-and-wiping-to-madponies/

People often say that FF1 is so primitive that it doesn't even have a story. This is just plain untrue. Players are given their initial motivation from the king himself, right off the bat:

FF1-Light-Warriors.png

What is true is that FF1 doesn't have any characters. The protagonists are all mute, and no NPC has more than 1-2 lines. There are no actual scenes (dialogue or otherwise), and no character development, let alone character arcs.

But still, despite the lack of any kind of characterization, FF1 does have a story to tell. The world has a rich (relative to other games released at the time) history, our four LIGHT WARRIORS have clear motivation for going on the adventures they go on, and plenty of twists and turns keep the narrative rushing forward.

Another common statement about FF1 is that it is hard. Unlike the plot grousing, the difficulty comments are all true. Random battles will wipe you out if you get hit with some unlucky stuns or other random elements work against you. If you don't go into a situation at the appropriate level, you will meet the "game over" screen with stunning quickness.

Anyway, on to the play through! Hopefully, this will be the start of something big. Let's hope for no major snags...

FF1-Magic-Shop.png

Due to the aforementioned difficulty, the first thing I did was outfit my LIGHT WARRIORS (a standard party for those wondering - Fighter, White Mage, Black Mage, and Black Belt) with some basic weapons and armor, and bought a couple of spells for my casters. Yes, for anyone reading this that hasn't played FF1, magic spells are bought in shops. They're crazy expensive, too.

FF1-Imps.png

Next up, the time-honored tradition in all oldchool RPGs: grinding! I wandered around for quite some time, bashing Imps' skulls in. But before long, I came across something else:

FF1-Madpony.png

Madpony? Hmm... how dangerous could it be? Turns out... pretty damn dangerous. He one-shot everyone in my party, giving me my first Game Over. Just like that. What was I saying about snags? Sorry... I failed to snap a pic of my... fail. Luckily, I had a recent save.

When I reloaded, I decided to take a closer look at my weapons and armor. It was now that I realized, much to my shame, I hadn't equipped any of the items I had purchased. Everyone in my party was fighting barehanded, and naked! No goddamn wonder those Imps were giving me so much trouble! I remembered FF1 being challenging, but not as challenging as it had been for me so far.

FF1-Euipment.png

After actually, you know, equipping all the gear I had purchased, the experience became much smoother, to say the least. My Fighter hit for 15+ instead of 7. My other three party members hit for more than the ONE damage they had been contributing. And strikes from enemies were no longer dropping half a party member's health.

I quickly made it to level 3, and decided to tackle the Temple of Fiends, where Garland was holding the captured princess. I had somehow forgotten about his infamous trash talk:

FF1-Garland.png

Despite his imposing demeanor and bat entourage, Garland is pretty much a pushover, and went down in just a few rounds. My reward? A Lute, which "might just come in handy" HINT HINT.

FF1-Lute.png

The king also constructs a bridge allowing the LIGHT WARRIORS to progress on their quest. Crossing it triggers FF1's incredibly cool title credits sequence. And I don't mean "cool for the NES" - there are no qualifiers necessary. It's pretty epic:

FF1-Credits.png

I especially like where Square chose to trigger the scene. It's not the title screen. Depending on how much grinding a player chose to do, they likely didn't see this screen until an hour or more of game time. Only then are they clued in to the fact that everything they just experienced was essentially a prologue. It lets the player know that "Hey - some epic stuff is about to happen. Final Fantasy is just getting warmed up."

It's also the very first time the Final Fantasy Main Theme is heard. This song has a nearly religious impact on some gamers. It's incredible to think that it has been with us nearly 25 years now, with over 10 unique arrangements. For young gamers first crossing that FF1 bridge in the 1980s, it must have been a magical experience. Hell, I didn't play FF1 until about 2005, and it was still neat.

You can see the original FF1 Title Credits here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3pzRgtYDmo#t=0m33s), as well as a compilation of all 10 arrangements here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciOF-TCp-68). Tell me it doesn't make you misty eyed! I dare you!

Up Next: Matoya's Cave & Pirates!

Good luck with this. You're looking at anywhere from 6 months to a year of playtime to play EVERY game in just the mainline FF series, even if you ignore the MMOG titles which don't have endings to speak of.

Unknown Soldier said:
Good luck with this. You're looking at anywhere from 6 months to a year of playtime to play EVERY game in just the mainline FF series, even if you ignore the MMOG titles which don't have endings to speak of.

Nah, you can do it in a few months if not less. I was able to do 4-10 in 3 weeks.

cosmicblizzard said:
Nah, you can do it in a few months if not less. I was able to do 4-10 in 3 weeks.

Have you played them before? Did you dedicate your whole life to doing this? I suppose if you played 18 hours a day and slept for 6 and took all your meals in front of the TV and only got up to do nature's business, that sounds possible. I did just X and X-2 in a span of 2 weeks during my college days and that was playing anywhere from 6-8 hours a day during that stretch.

Big One

Banned
How long would it take to beat FFXI's main quest anyway? Someone should do a Twin Galaxies speed run of that shit.

GDJustin

Unknown Soldier said:

Kafel said:
thinking about what you're doing made me tired already

I'm not in any kind of hurry. I fully expect the trip to be fairly meandering. Especially when I get into the FFs I don't like (or don't expect to like - several I haven't played). FF2j, FF8, FFX.

I want this to be a positive experience for me, so I'm not going to feel bad or apologize if I get off track and don't play one for 2+ weeks. Instead my intention is to just get back on the horse when I feel like it, and get back to it.

It is quite admirable that you will play all the games. There is one FF games I don't want to replay anytime is FF3. However I could see myself replay the other games all again (can't speak for FF2 as I have not played it for more than 10 minutes).

Unknown Soldier said:
Have you played them before? Did you dedicate your whole life to doing this? I suppose if you played 18 hours a day and slept for 6 and took all your meals in front of the TV and only got up to do nature's business, that sounds possible. I did just X and X-2 in a span of 2 weeks during my college days and that was playing anywhere from 6-8 hours a day during that stretch.

Yeah, they were speed runs.

mclem

I'm actually midway through doing this myself. Except I need to spend some time cleansing my palate after going through a big JRPG, so I've been doing it slowly. Very slowly.

I think I started in 1995 or so. I'm up to X-2 next.

cosmicblizzard said:
Yeah, they were speed runs.

Then your time played doesn't exactly have anything meaningful to do with that the OP is presumably doing. I would imagine he is watching all the cutscenes and playing through the first time so he'll actually be taking time to go through content instead of racing through. I stand by my time estimate of how long he'll be playing the games.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't care for the first three games, the second particularly is pretty bad, and I'm saving my FF4 replay for the PSP remake, so maybe I'll jump in at FF5 and play a few of them.

Enjoy.

Siyou

I couldn't agree more with the "intro" giving this game an epic feel for it... I remember playing the NES version and enjoying the hell out of it... but i feel bad for you with #2... no doubt of that.

Natetan

zombull leveling makes final fantasy 1 not so bad. when the enemies catch up to you, you can just item weapons and armor in battle for free damage.

Oh man, Final Fantasy on the NES is a tough bitch. You'll reach an infamous cave soon enough that could make you question your sanity if you don't grind enough beforehand. The game is all about the grind. It is, however, still a fun game to play with a nice sense of exploration, especially in the second half of the game. I also adore the musical score.

But yeah, it's a hard bitch and it doesn't help that the shop system is pretty fucked, as you have to purchase any item one by one. This could drive you mad.

Dawn of Souls fixes some of the NES version's issues but made things far too easy. It's incredibly unbalanced (from laughably easy to seriously difficult) when you factor in the extra content. I think you've done the right thing going with the NES version. It has a real 8-bit charm to it and for me it holds up much better than, say, the first Dragon Quest on the system.

Edit: This is a very ambitious idea by the way, but also something I will pay attention to with keen interest if you're willing to keep it up. Your write-ups are pretty good so far.

Siyou

_Alkaline_ said:
Oh man, Final Fantasy on the NES is a tough bitch. You'll reach an infamous cave soon enough that could make you question your sanity if you don't grind enough beforehand. The game is all about the grind. It is, however, still a fun game to play with a nice sense of exploration, especially in the second half of the game. I also adore the musical score.

But yeah, it's a hard bitch and it doesn't help that the shop system is pretty fucked, as you have to purchase any item one by one. This could drive you mad.

Dawn of Souls fixes some of the NES version's issues but made things far too easy. It's incredibly unbalanced (from laughably easy to seriously difficult) when you factor in the extra content. I think you've done the right thing going with the NES version. It has a real 8-bit charm to it and for me it holds up much better than, say, the first Dragon Quest on the system.

Edit: This is a very ambitious idea by the way, but also something I will pay attention to with keen interest if you're willing to keep it up. Your write-ups are pretty good so far.
I've had fun with both, can't really compare the two though...

GDJustin said:
I've decided I'm going to play the entire FF main series (no Spin-offs), from FF I - FF XIII.

I suppose this means you've given up on planescape?

And my lord dude where do you find the time, I've love to join you if you could teach me how to get down some time management.

Good luck with all this. I tried to do it a few years back, but hit a wall after FFVII because it required way too much time in front of a TV. I never finished X or XII and can't see myself doing VIII or IX unless they go handheld. MMOs I'm not touching.

So I've completed:

FFI - both NES version and GBA
FFII - both NES and GBA
FFIII - NES fan translation, DS version
FFIV - Advance & DS version
FFV - Fan translated SNES version
FFVI - SNES, Advance
FFVII - PS1
FFX (partial)
FFXII (partial)

Congratulations in advance if you actually do it, by the way. People get enthusiastic about stuff like this but lose interest when big Q4 games come along.

StuBurns

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Good luck with all this. I tried to do it a few years back, but hit a wall after FFVII because it required way too much time in front of a TV. I never finished X or XII and can't see myself doing VIII or IX unless they go handheld. MMOs I'm not touching.

So I've completed:

FFI - both NES version and GBA
FFII - both NES and GBA
FFIII - NES fan translation, DS version
FFIV - Advance & DS version
FFV - Fan translated SNES version
FFVI - SNES, Advance
FFVII - PS1
FFX (partial)
FFXII (partial)

Congratulations in advance if you actually do it, by the way. People get enthusiastic about stuff like this but lose interest when big Q4 games come along.
If you have a PSP, you can just buy 8 and 9 for it, no need to wait for a port.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
That sounds like fun, but God bless your soul for playing these on the original consoles.

I would just bite the bullet, purchase a DS and a PSP and play the first nine games on a portable system. It would be way more convient and I'm sure you would enjoy the refinements a lot more.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gotta give you the thumbs up for choosing to play FF3 Famicom over the DS one... the DS one was gimped in the number of monsters you fight at a time, which I felt hurt the challenge level of the game (well, the end dungeon is still a pain in the ass though no matter what version).

Tucah

you speak so well
I'd love to do this, but I literally just started up a chronological playthrough of the Resident Evil series (for my first time for any of the games, yes, even RE4) yesterday. Oh well, definitely not enough time in my schedule for both series.

Mareg

Alright, I'm in !

It is actually perfect timing. I'm getting sick of WoW yet again so it is back to console gaming. Also, my "high-def" room is on a lockdown due to wife renovating the adjacent room. Don't want any dust to invade my nice electronics. So I'm confined to the bedroom with the CRT (superb for low-def gaming) tv set.

I can dedicate somwhere between 2-3 hours every night. We will see where this gets me hahaha.

So tonight I'll start it up with FF1 (PS1 edition). Don't know what party I'll end up with. Definitly a monk/brawler archtype. Love them bruce lee type.

FF1 (PS1) Already completed. 2nd play thru
FF2 (PS1) Played like 3hours before giving up when it became impossible due to not understanding the character development system. Look forward to download a faq that explain the weirdness and geting it a second go.
FF3 (DS) Played about 10hours before giving up. No particular reason. Look forward to givinig it another shot.
FF4 (DS) Played about 40hours before getting to the moon and it became impossible. Looking forward to giving it another go with a faq to help ease the process.
FF5 (???) Played a fan translated version eons ago. Around 10hours but didn't complete due to whatever. Looking forward to giving it another go.
FF6 (PS1) Played it countless times. Never completed it. Always get tired toward the end of the second part. Looking forward to finally completing that one.
FF7 (PS1) Played it 3 times to the last boss. Last boss was 10 times harder then anything before him. Could never beat him up. Looking forward to finally beating that one up.
FF8 (PS1) Played it once and getting near the end. I remember everything being very easy until the end. Something game breaking that if you didn't know you had to work on from the very begining. I remember being VERY frustrated at the time and trowing the game away vowing to never touch it again. Looking "somewhat" forward to finally getting it over with the aid of a faq.
FF9 (PS1) Played it once and finishing it. Fantastic game. Looking forward to giving it another go.
FF10 (PS2) Played it once and finishing it. Fantastic game. Looking forward to giving it another go.
FF10-2 (PS2) Didn't like the free roaming word. Prefer to be taken by the hand. I'll try to push myself thru it.
FF12 (PS2) Played it once and getting utterly frustrated towards the end has the difficulty ramped up ridiculously fast. Looking forward to giving it another go with the aid of a faq.
FF13 (PS3) Played it once until it became a single player MMO. Didn't like it too much so left the game never to return. I'll make an effort this time and try to finish it up.

So yeah, I think I'm in for a few surprises. There is a lot I haven't seen FF wise. This should be a fun journey overall.

One thing I would really like to know is the definitive werstern version of every game. I have every consoles so I would like to get the best experience possible.

For exemple, I'm not sure playing FF5 and 6 on PS1 is the best. I remember combat loading times being somewhat long on PS1. I think there is a PSP version. Is it the definitive version ?

Mareg

Skilletor said:
FF13 became a single player MMO?

Are you sure you don't have 13 and 12 mixed up. hahaha

Naw I'm definitly talking about 13. I didn't mind the MMOish combat system of 12.
The problem I had with 13 is that after a very focused story driven gameplay 1st part, it just throws you in that big map with "hunts". I couldn't stomach the change at the time.

thefro

I'm playing through FF8 for the first time and I enjoy the gameplay even if the plot is a trainwreck. Halfway through Disc 2 now.

Just beat FF7 for the first time over the winter break.

Skilletor

Mareg said:
Naw I'm definitly talking about 13. I didn't mind the MMOish combat system of 12.
The problem I had with 13 is that after a very focused story driven gameplay 1st part, it just throws you in that big map with "hunts". I couldn't stomach the change at the time.

Then ignore it entirely and continue on with the main quest. Most that is completely optional.

Ifrit

Good luck, FF is a great series, would love to join but I really don't have time right now, I prefer to clear my backlog on my limited free time, I'll probably replay ff4 for a third time once it comes to psp just cause it looks beautiful

As far as the FF games, played every one of them except 9, X-2, XII and XIII*. The only ones I didn't enjoy that much was FFII and FFVIII

Will read the impresions in this thread though

* XI and XIV don't count of course
y08vD.png

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently playing FF9 for the first time. I've played all the games in the series except 8, 11, and 14, but I've only beaten 7 and 12. Most others I only got an hour or two in. Played 10 "by proxy" because my college roommate played all the way through and I was there for a little over half of it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Skilletor said:
Then ignore it entirely and continue on with the main quest. Most that is completely optional.

If you dont do it, you'll fucked with the last bosses as there is no way of going back to grind when you need it. Thats why I couldnt finish it. If there is a way to go back I didnt find it. My patience on this game was very, VERY thin at that time.

Rpgmonkey

I'd do this if I didn't find I-III, VIII, IX, and XIII to be bad/mediocre enough that it's hard to play through them again.

Toma said:
If you dont do it, you'll fucked with the last bosses as there is no way of going back to grind when you need it. Thats why I couldnt finish it. If there is a way to go back I didnt find it. My patience on this game was very, VERY thin at that time.

There's a portal out of the last dungeon, you have to talk to those floaty women things I think. They're around the entrance to the last area.

This was one of my resolutions last year, finished ff1 on psp, then got distracted, this year I started ff2 (psp), progressing well. May get through a chunk of them this year.

Instead of 11, I'll do crystal bearers again. For 14 i'll play 4 warriors of light.

Toma said:
This is untrue, I beat the final boss having not completed a single mission on Pulse.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
runlikehell said:
This is untrue, I beat the final boss having not completed a single mission on Pulse.

Good for you then. I am not a bad gamer and really had almost no problems up to a certain boss. I probably wasnt in the last dungeon yet but even after reading up, the only solution I got was "I should have grinded more on Pulse" as I was somehow underleveled. Even though I actually spent 4-5 hours there.

GDJustin

tetrisgrammaton said:
Didn't you make a thread about not feeling compelled to play something because its in your backlog a while back?

Yes, I did. I'm not motivated to do this to clear my backlog...

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
I suppose this means you've given up on planescape?

And my lord dude where do you find the time, I've love to join you if you could teach me how to get down some time management.

We'll see about Planescape. I was totally digging it, so maybe this wasn't the best time to start in with the FFs. My rough plan is to spend a little time with one game (whatever I want to play at the moment) and a little time with FF. So hopefully I can keep up with Planescape.

re: time - I don't really have much. I'm an adult with a FT job. No kids yet, though. It's not like I'm planning on getting through these in a month or two. It's going to be a long trip.

Siyou said:
I couldn't agree more with the "intro" giving this game an epic feel for it... I remember playing the NES version and enjoying the hell out of it... but i feel bad for you with #2... no doubt of that.

I've played maybe ~4 hours of FF2j NES before, years ago, so I know exactly what you mean. I plan on following a FAQ to the letter to get through it as painlessly as possible.

djtiesto said:
Gotta give you the thumbs up for choosing to play FF3 Famicom over the DS one... the DS one was gimped in the number of monsters you fight at a time, which I felt hurt the challenge level of the game (well, the end dungeon is still a pain in the ass though no matter what version).

Adam Prime said:
That sounds like fun, but God bless your soul for playing these on the original consoles.

I would just bite the bullet, purchase a DS and a PSP and play the first nine games on a portable system. It would be way more convient and I'm sure you would enjoy the refinements a lot more.

Playing on the original consoles is a BIG part of the whole purpose, here. I own many of the remakes... I have a big game collection so I can't even keep track. I know I have FF III on the DS, 1 & 2 on the GBA, 5 & 6 on the PS1, etc. Probably more.

But... the whole purpose is to see the slow evolution of the franchise. I can't do that if I go from FF1 NES to FF2 GBA to FF3 DS. I need to see things like the increased storytelling sophistication Square got out of the NES from FF1 to FF3. Or the jump in technology from FF3 to FF4.

Mareg said:
Alright, I'm in !

One thing I would really like to know is the definitive werstern version of every game. I have every consoles so I would like to get the best experience possible.

For exemple, I'm not sure playing FF5 and 6 on PS1 is the best. I remember combat loading times being somewhat long on PS1. I think there is a PSP version. Is it the definitive version ?

Excellent! Glad to have you along for the ride.

I can't help you for version recommendations though, as I'll be playing the original versions, as I explained above.

I THINK the handheld remakes are considered the best in every category (IE FF1 & 2 on GBA, FFV on DS, etc) moreso than the PS1 releases. I'm not positive about that though. My gut is that it is hard to go wrong. None of them are fatally flawed.

Mareg

Hey I would like to include the one that is supposed to be the successor of FF4.
Anyone knows for wich system it was made for ?

Also, weren't they making a sequel to FF12 for the DS ?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Curufinwe said:
I think leaving out X-2 would be a mistake.

Same with Tactics. I don't think that either should be left out.
Mareg said:
Hey I would like to include the one that is supposed to be the successor of FF4.
Anyone knows for wich system it was made for ?

Also, weren't they making a sequel to FF12 for the DS ?

The FF4 sequel thingy is for the DS (and coming to the PSP) I believe.

The FF12 DS game is Revenant wings.

Top Bottom