• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 HDD Problem (i think) help?

hteng

Banned
So I'm guessing my HDD is corrupted.

I was playing Tales of Vesperia, i had the game installed, up until the guild town when i enter one of the buildings, the game froze during loading. I had no choice but to force shutdown it by holding the power button for a few seconds.

System boots up, tried to load the game, the game froze even before I reached the title screen.

So I deleted the installation file on the drive, load the game again, success, the game can load, so i tried to perform another installation, the installation froze at around 10% (as indicated by the music stopping and stuck at 10%).

at this point i suspect there's some problem with the HDD, so I load up my other installed games (SC4), same deal, game can't load, but after delete installation file it'll load normally, at the same time I'm unable to perform any new installation for the game.

Backed up my games and files, did a quick format, tried to install the game again, still doesn't fix the problem.

I'm on firmware 3.0, I'm in the process of upgrading it to 3.01 and see if it fixes the problem (which i doubt). Worse come to worse i'll have to do a full format (4 hours) and restore only my save files (hopefully they aren't corrupted >_>)

So i would like to ask if there are any alternatives? The 4 hour full format kinda sucks D;

thanks

Speevy

Banned
Try downloading a demo and installing it, see if that gives you problems.

Is it a hard drive that came with the system or your own?

Have you gotten any messages like "Rebuilding database" when starting up?

hteng

Banned
Speevy said:
Try downloading a demo and installing it, see if that gives you problems.

Is it a hard drive that came with the system or your own?

Have you gotten any messages like "Rebuilding database" when starting up?

This is the original HDD that came with the system.

I've not download any demos but i'll try

I've not seen the rebuilding database message

forgot to mention, there was a power outage afew days ago when i was using the system.

Speevy

Banned
Well the most common thing you'll read while using your PS3 is "Installing. Do not turn off the system." so they're probably trying to warn you that the thing can corrupt data, or brick an entire system if an installation goes wrong.

hteng

Banned
Speevy said:
Well the most common thing you'll read while using your PS3 is "Installing. Do not turn off the system." so they're probably trying to warn you that the thing can corrupt data, or brick an entire system if an installation goes wrong.

na i wasn't installing or saving during the outage, but it'll effect it to some degree non the less. The OS is running fine, i can play games without installations but I fear that it might affect future games that needs installation.

hteng

Banned
CrayzeeCarl said:
No. This page tells you how to access the recovery menu / safe mode.

question, its says it'll reset the video settings, does this mean it'll reset back to composite video? (as in SD video)

I'm using HDMI at the moment

RuGalz

hteng said:
question, its says it'll reset the video settings, does this mean it'll reset back to composite video? (as in SD video)

I'm using HDMI at the moment

I'm fairly sure that it should switch over to HDMI as it boots up if that's the only output you have connected.

RuGalz said:
I'm fairly sure that it should switch over to HDMI as it boots up if that's the only output you have connected.
Yeah, I've always had just HDMI connected and never had a problem doing this. I think it just forces the system to go through the initial video output setup again.

hteng

Banned
updated to 3.01, still doesn't fix problem. (SC4 always stuck at 22-24% HDD Installation)

the recovery menu is for last resort if my system's bricked. Since i can still operate my system I think i'll just do the full format and see,, arg... so annoying

edit: anyone have any idea what happens after full format? do i still keep my local accounts and settings?

This reminds me of when GTA4 broke my ps3, similar symptoms. Unfortunatley I had to send mine in, out of warranty, but free of charge. I guess alot of PS3's broke when GTA4 came out. Reminds me when me and four of my friends PS2's broke when Vice City came out:lol .

hteng

Banned
Terrordactyl said:
This reminds me of when GTA4 broke my ps3, similar symptoms. Unfortunatley I had to send mine in, out of warranty, but free of charge. I guess alot of PS3's broke when GTA4 came out. Reminds me when me and four of my friends PS2's broke when Vice City came out:lol .

yea consoles nowadays are getting complicated and similar to PCs, the days of just putting the game in and play is long gone

hteng

Banned
update:

did a full format, problem still presists, some games just froze through installation and after that can't do any further installations.

I did the safe mode file system restore option, it says my HDD is corrupted, proceed to perform the operation.

if I attempt to do it again it'll always come up with the same message saying my HDD is corrupted.

did a search on google,

http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=62&thread.id=981719

this thread had simular file restore system problems, but claims its the bluray and firmware 3.0 or 3.01 is the problem...

I'm incline to get a new HDD and try it out but man... if it doesnt work and i have to send it in for refurb or repair, thats gonna cost alot

hteng

Banned
update:

just bought a new 160 Samsung HDD, which is compatible with the PS3. Put it in, did a quick format.

Run Tales of Vesperia, tried Installation, frozed at around 78%, same deal as before.

Conclusion

Either the Firmware or the BD Drive is having problems. My HDD is new and should be corruption free as its new... damnit, do i have to call tech support or wait it out for another new firmware? This is so irritating, I hope this is not an isolated case. Sigh.. anyone experiencce same problems?

Top Bottom