• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUSE "Echelon" Mode Media and Impressions (MP/Co-petitive)

8byte

Banned
B-Roll footage:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us9yvgy1ysA&feature=youtu.be

I'm downloading/uploading the trailer and media for this as we speak (OP will be updated with links, etc, once its up).

I was able to play it recently during a press event, and had a blast with it. Feel free to ask questions, I'll answer them as I can get to them!

Impressions: Echelon felt a lot like a "rebirth" of the Co-op from Resistance 2, with a significant push on team work and communication.

The game mode is "co-petitive", meaning you're playing together, but competing for experience and points to "win". There are 12 rounds total, most of which are randomized, sans rounds 6 and 12. Round 6 features a mini-boss, with round 12 being the "main boss". The rounds in between have a randomly selected objective, and a randomly selected group of enemies to accompany the objective.

Some of the new enemies I saw were jet pack troops. Some were snipers and would fly around the map gaining different vantage points, while other had shotguns and would land near you and rush you. It was very intense and hectic when they showed up.

While playing, if you die and aren't revived, then you're "down" until the rest of the team clears the enemy wave and finishes the objective. If all 4 players are "wiped" (downed) then GAMEOVERMAN.

Visually it was definitely looking cleaner, smoother, and a bit more vibrant (not too much). Rag doll physics were really cool and enemies looked great getting blasted by explosives, etc. I've been over the character types before, but can recap if anyone is interested. Ask away if you're curious!

Media impressions:

Polygon

Digital Spy

IGN

Screens:

sGTKw.jpg

aq3Ka.jpg

Zr2M4.jpg

8byte

Banned
Is it confirmed that the people in charge of R2's co-op is making FUSE? Looking forward to the this mode.

Well, it's the same studio, lol. I can't say if the exact same design team is working on it, but there are definitely a ton of R2 co-op elements here. It feels like they've essentially split the classes up and recombined them (now with a 4th class) giving the game a bit more diversity. Also, you aren't free to pick a team of one class as you could in R2. There will always be one of the 4 characters, and that's the role you'll play (as opposed to R2, where you could have 8 medics if you wanted).

8byte

Banned
Side note: The game hadn't yet been tuned completely (as it is still in development) and it was hard as fuck (but super fun). The highest anyone made it to was round 6 during the event (nearly round 7). Each time I played, I was playing with Journo's who weren't really interested in "winning" so much as getting their impressions over with (I felt) so it was frustrating that no one would communicate. That said, if you're not at least working with another team mate, you'll get your ass handed to you. It's not your average "horde" mode, for sure.

batbeg

True story, I never played the single player for R2, but spent many hours online, especially in the co-op mode. If Fuse features local multi I might already be sold.

8byte

Banned
True story, I never played the single player for R2, but spent many hours online, especially in the co-op mode. If Fuse features local multi I might already be sold.

I'm fairly certain (90%) that you can do split screen co-op for all modes. When you play co-op locally, all 4 players are in the game, 2 being bots. In addition to this, you can "leap" between bots and take control of them at any time, so you're not locked into one character during the game.

What's wrong with their Co-op? =[

Certainly better than the clusterfuck competitive MP modes...

Or is it me calling the game generic looking? Because it does.

Card Boy

Banned
This game is going to bomb so bad. Do your self a favour a dont buy it at full price if you really want it. It will be in bargain bins at a 3rd of the price 1 to 3 months after release. This game will force Insomiac to go back to Sony in shame.

8byte

Banned
What's wrong with their Co-op? =[

Certainly better than the clusterfuck competitive MP modes...

Or is it me calling the game generic looking? Because it does.

It's the fact that you use the word "trash" like a pretentious ass hat.

There's just something so fitting about the possible bomba of the generation being named Fuse.

Really? You think THIS is a possible "bomba of the generation"? Can you mail me some of that weed you're going to town on, because it sounds like it does some awesome stuff. The best thing about hyperbole GAF is they're like vegans, they come out of the wood works in droves making it easy to find and ignore them.

This game is going to bomb so bad. Do your self a favour a dont buy it at full price if you really want it. It will be in bargain bins at a 3rd of the price 1 to 3 months after release. This game will force Insomiac to go back to Sony in shame.

Yea, who cares if it's actually fun or not, right? That hardly what's important. Sales data! Maybe you sales-age folks should just play GameDev Story instead of being even remotely interested in the rest of the industry. Would suit you better.

Sounds good, I think this game could end up being a lot of fun. I enjoyed the co-op in R2 so seeing that idea get fleshed out more fully sounds very nice to me. These screens look better than what I've seen of the game previously as well, they're much more colorful.

Really? You think THIS is a possible "bomba of the generation"? Can you mail me some of that weed you're going to town on, because it sounds like it does some awesome stuff. The best thing about hyperbole GAF is they're like vegans, they come out of the wood works in droves making it easy to find and ignore them.
"Bomba of the generation" is way over the top but I think there is very good reason to be concerned with how this game will do sales-wise.

Does sound fun, especially if it's anything like R2 co-op, but it's too bad that the game will get overshadowed, in part by its own doing

Hopefully it does decently enough, if it's a good game. At least EA advertises better than Sony, right?

Any chance of seeing video?

And are there any of the dynamic elements from R2's co-op here?

Still interested in this game, for the gameplay. Boxcovers be damned.

Edit: Wait, am I reading Polygon article this right? Thee mode requires four human players, each playing one of the four characters, with no dupes?

Edit 2: Sounds like there is some dynamism in objectives - thats great.

Oppo

Damn. It's a shame this game is going to flop so hard. I see nothing about this game that stands out.

It's not going to flop. Expectations are so cranked down right now that I have a feeling in a few months it will be like OMG FUSE IS AMAZING YUO GUYZ and it will essentially be a sleeper hit. You watch. I could be wrong but I don't think so. This ain't no Lair.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
It's not going to flop. Expectations are so cranked down right now that I have a feeling in a few months it will be like OMG FUSE IS AMAZING YUO GUYZ and it will essentially be a sleeper hit. You watch. I could be wrong but I don't think so. This ain't no Lair.

Couldn't agree more. Threads like this remind me of that picture from the steam group "Boycott Modern Warfare 2" where everyone in the group was playing Modern Warfare 2. The people who are complaining the loudest about how this is destined to fail will end up picking it up because it's the game that all their little friends will be talking about at the lunchroom cubby holes.

Globox_82

Banned
While playing, if you die and aren't revived, then you're "down" until the rest of the team clears the enemy wave and finishes the objective. If all 4 players are "wiped" (downed) then GAMEOVERMAN.
:

So it's like ZOMBIE mode in COD, ok.

jediyoshi

Couldn't agree more. Threads like this remind me of that picture from the steam group "Boycott Modern Warfare 2" where everyone in the group was playing Modern Warfare 2. The people who are complaining the loudest about how this is destined to fail will end up picking it up because it's the game that all their little friends will be talking about at the lunchroom cubby holes.

For some reason I imagine it's easier to ironically hit a button to join something on steam than go out and buy a retail product at full price.

How are the maps designed? Are they like your traditional horde mode where your basically defending a large circular map or are they like Resistance 2 where your constantly moving forward to different areas? I prefer the latter because it makes me feel like I'm progressing towards something.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
That sounds a lot like R2 co op.
OH MAH GAWD!!! XD

If the R2 Co Op team is working on it... OH MAH GAWD!!! X2

This could be a fun time, especially because of the objective mix. Cautiously interested.

But a deal breaker here: Does this mode require four human players? Can I play this with one other buddy and have a good time? Is that even allowed? And if so, is it always tuned for four so it would be punishingly difficult or does it scale?

I love co-op modes, but I usually run with one friend, and sometimes two, but that's it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Already in the OP, but in case you missed it;

B-Roll footage

The sound effects are just terrific!
Damn that looks totally R2 Co Op.
I love how the bullets get stuck in the shield.

Day one!

EDIT: mhmh Apparently theres somekind of limb targeting system, cuz i saw a single arm highlighted and then it changed to the whole body.
EDIT #2: Fuuuu i love the money bags!!! Cuz you know this is a friggin' game so not everything has to be dark and gritty! "Arcadey" feel for the win!
EDIT #3: I want my beta code JS!

-PXG-

Terrible lighting, brain dead AI, spam spam and more spam, bullet sponges, lazy, sloppy animation and gameplay mechanics I've seen a bazillion times. Insomniac check list development at it's finest.

I'm sorry that so many talented people had to waste their skills making this.

Eccocid

She is shooting the shielded enemies from back and none of them reacts lol.

Also whats that counter on crosshair? I really hate numbers all over the screen. It's just too distracting.

Terrible lighting, brain dead AI, spam spam and more spam, bullet sponges, lazy, sloppy animation and gameplay mechanics I've seen a bazillion times. Insomniac check list development at it's finest.

I'm sorry that so many talented people had to waste their skills making this.
AI does look pretty bad, especially when the player in the B-roll ran behind a phalanx of shield guys and shoots them in the back, for what seems like forever while they continue to mindlessly trudge forward. If they've been mind controlled, then cool I guess, otherwise thats a messed up aggro system they have going on there.

Fersis

AI does look pretty bad, especially when the player in the B-roll ran behind a phalanx of shield guys and shoots them in the back, for what seems like forever while they continue to mindlessly trudge forward. If they've been mind controlled, then cool I guess, otherwise thats a messed up aggro system they have going on there.
Have you played R2 Co Op? The 'killing hundreds of enemies' concept was quite cool :3
Im totally biased toward R2 Co Op though

abadguy

Banned
Gameplay looks pretty fun to me looking at the b roll stuff. Like the "hurricanrana" take down that the red head gives one of the enemies in the beginning. Might just pick this up.

This game will force Insomiac to go back to Sony in shame.

Hoo boy....

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome gameplay. I still love Insomniac, even if I haven't purchased a game of theirs since some years ago.

This answer made me smile haha.

But not for the reason it should have.

RiverBed

Banned

Yea, who cares if it's actually fun or not, right? That hardly what's important. Sales data! Maybe you sales-age folks should just play GameDev Story instead of being even remotely interested in the rest of the industry. Would suit you better.

Wow, why so personal? Is the game your mom? The game looks generic as fuck.

*Adds to ignore list*

Kusagari

You sure sound mad. Do you work for Insomniac?

This game looks generic as fuck and has almost no appeal. As evidenced by the fact that this thread hasn't even reached 50 posts yet.

It's going to bomb and it's going to bomb bad.

Have you played R2 Co Op? The 'killing hundreds of enemies' concept was quite cool :3
I loved it. Its also sucked for two players though. Three was the minimum sweet spot.

The AI was braindead too, but it wasn't as grounded as this. You don't expect as much intelligence from an uber-alien beast with 10 gazillion hit points (no exaggeration) as you do for three soldiers with riot shields moving up in formation.

This is very much in line with the R2 coop even down to the bullet sponge enemies. I'm glad their keeping that MMO feel to the combat. Of course others are just going to dismiss it on a face level but that's their loss.

Arnie

Jesus wept, you really should calm down.

This game looks awfully generic, even if there's a cool concept underneath the blandness.

Card Boy

Banned

Ok man calm the fuck down, your taking this too personally because someone said some bad things about a game you have never played. The game has literally no personality, no soul and looks generic. I don't understand why you have the need to white knight it and attack other forum members.

Teggy

The video reminds me of Mass Effect 3 MP. Are all 10 waves focused on the same area to defend? As someone mentioned, the movement through the area was what made R2 MP interesting and fun.

Top Bottom