• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire: pre-orders are over 1m units in Japan

L~A

Looks like pre-orders for Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire are quite strong in Japan... It has been announced that total pre-orders (no idea if this includes the double-pack, but I'm going to assume it does) are now over 1m units in Japan. Apparently, that's the best pre-order number for any game this year in Japan, and also better than X/Y last year!

By sept. 28, pre-orders were at 239k units according to Media Create, and only for the first two days. So that's roughly 761k in 6 weeks.

There's still a little under 2 weeks before launch, and pre-orders always ramp up during the last few days... curious to see what the final pre-order numbers will be.

Source

Vena

Gotta catch'em all.

(Also how does this compare to XY? All we had concretely was Nintendo's graphic on the pre-order values between the regions and how they compared, with XY being higher in Japan but lower in EU.)

Mariolee

Nintendo really boasting those pre-order numbers right now. Unless there was a recent investor meeting I was unaware of, perhaps this is to gain some momentum and good will going into the holiday season.

That's nice for Gamefreak/Nintendo. Also means YW2.5 is going to be massive if comgnet is anything to go by

Nice to hear the games are doing well, but your source is broken.

Famitsu doesn't allow hotlinking, just copy the address and paste it into a web browser

L~A

Gotta catch'em all.

(Also how does this compare to XY? All we had concretely was Nintendo's graphic on the pre-order values between the regions and how they compared, with XY being higher in Japan but lower in EU.)

1 week before launch, Pokémon X and Y pre-orders were at 1.26m, I believe.

But in NA, and especially in Europe, OR/AS pre-orders are much better than for X/Y, though we have no concret numbers.

JoeM86

So still ahead (XY is) with some loose extrapolation.

Chances are XY will stay ahead. Starts of generations are always higher than the rest.

Except in Europe, strangely
09l.jpg

Vena

Chances are XY will stay ahead. Starts of generations are always higher than the rest.

I referenced that graph initially, I think ORAS might end up ahead worldwide because of the huge jump in Europe. That said, I don't actually know if those graphs are normalized or scaled identically so... :p

JoeM86

I referenced that graph initially, I think ORAS might end up ahead worldwide because of the huge jump in Europe. That said, I don't actually know if those graphs are normalized or scaled identically so... :p

I wouldn't expect so. At most it may be a little top heavy, but I don't see it having the pushing power X & Y do.

Having new Mega Evolutions helps, but no new Pokémon means lower sales.

L~A

I missed a part: Pokémon OR/AS got the most pre-orders for any games this year, in Japan.

And it's also confirmed it's doing better than X/Y last year (same number of days before release, obviously), also in Japan.

(Thanks for the translation, StreetsAhead)

Vena

And it's also confirmed it's doing better than X/Y last year (same number of days before release, obviously), also in Japan.

Now that's interesting.

Having new Mega Evolutions helps, but no new Pokémon means lower sales.

Nostalgia is pretty high on ORAS though. The megavolutions are a bonus on top of nostalgia of a classic in 3D, also isn't it supposed to have considerably more content than XY did (aside from what it lost from XY like the character customization)? By and by, it seems to be a much bigger game and people may well be aware of that and pick it up on that basis if they skipped over XY.

Except in Europe, strangely
09l.jpg

Speaking for the UK, I think the nostalgic older demographic has a larger market share than young kids new to the series, compared with US and Japan. One piece of evidence is that we had an advert here when HeartGold/SoulSilver was released that pretty much directly sold the game to late teens/early 20s people, playing off the nostalgia angle, there were no kids in the advert. Whereas the X&Y adverts had a kid/kids in them.

L~A

Yeah, I think ORAS is hitting the right chord with nostalgia and original players.

It's pretty much the same as the Gen 2 remake, when you think about it. I remember the demographics being quite different, with a higher % of older fans compared to other mainline entries.

Honestly, expecting great initial sales, but those will drop below X/Y after a few weeks/months.

Hedge

Interesting. I'm personally not interested in ORAS since I loved the customization in XY, but I'm really surprised to see such strong numbers for a remake.

Shengar

Don't know man, somehow I just lose the hype. The first time I won't pre-order a Pokemon game since a long time. The mega pokemon hyping really tires me.

Good to those who can buy the hype though, because I'm still buy it in the end.

Hatchtag

Banned
Scans appear to be leaking, showing off a new character and past legendaries being in-game. Could be fake, but they're damn high quality fakes if they are.

Top Bottom