• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you trust Glassdoor reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Glassdoor is rating service for companies from an employee perspective.

I recently started a new job and during it I used many resources to research prospective companies.

Glassdoor was a good resource. However, It seems like Yelp, it's been gamed. There's also the negativity bias. A disgruntled employee would be more motivated to leave a negative review since it can hurt their former employer--a form of revenge.

Moreover, negativity bias would make job seeker hold a single poor review in higher esteem than 10 positive ones.

There was one company where one of the reviews out right said that the company gamed the site and made employees write positive reviews!

Obviously none of this verifiable.

I do like when the reviews are comprehensive and fair, but those are rare birds.

Do you use Glassdoor? Do you take it seriously?

The negative bias is definitely true and it can be gamed....but if see a shitload of negative reviews from a variety of people, I gotta think twice about working for these mothafuckas.

Especially cuz the last place I worked, every one of those damn reviews were true.

Toki767

When my company got bought out, I did use the site to look up the company that was buying it.

And the reviews did match up with what I'm finding.

But obviously everyone's experience with the site is different.

Corpekata

Banned
To an extent. A few bad reviews I might view them as sour grapes, but if it has dozens of poor ones, I'm probably paying attention.

No. Even with Yelp, I usually look at aggregates, and Glassdoor rarely has enough reviews for individual companies where that would be useful.

Like the OP said, I also feel that disgruntled or former employees are more motivated to write reviews.

akira28

If a company's employees hate the fuck out of them, its a sign of all kinds of internal issues. Especially if they're a regional multi-national.

its useful information, especially if it corroborates with other things like major business events, reshuffling, etc.

Therin

I love reading the Glassdoor page for my old job that I resigned from, just to feel vindicated about how awful they are.

I don't take it too seriously though. Plenty of companies get their HR to post up fake positive reviews, & like you said, there's the opposite side, with scorned former employees posting up overly negative reviews.

j0hnnix

It's pretty accurate for my company. It's good to read the reviews if you're applying for a job gives you an idea what you might be running into.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Always take things with a grain of salt for both sides - former employee reviews could be from disgruntled folks who were let go for legitimate reasons, and I've heard of some places where the HR folks encouraged positive reviews be posted. Also keep in mind the dates, what was said years ago could mean nothing for how the company culture is now.

Anything that concerns you though, keep in the back of your head if you manage an in-person interview and you get a chance to talk with folks and observe the workplace.

entremet

I love reading the Glassdoor page for my old job that I resigned from, just to feel vindicated about how awful they are.

I don't take it too seriously though. Plenty of companies get their HR to post up fake positive reviews, & like you said, there's the opposite side, with scorned former employees posting up overly negative reviews.
Did you leave a bad review lol

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Read the content of the reviews. If everyone is complaining about the same thing, then it's likely to be true.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The reviews seem less relevant the higher up the chain you are.

I always look up the info but I take it with a grain of salt.

rambis

Banned
Don't know about the reviews, they can be helpful I guess. But the interview incite and salary info is a gold mine. Landed a job offer this week and thanks to glassdoor, I was extra prepared for the interview content and had the perfect salary proposal. I would definitely use it again.

entremet

Don't know about the reviews, they can be helpful I guess. But the interview incite and salary info is a gold mine. Landed a job offer this week and thanks to glassdoor, I was extra prepared for the interview content and had the perfect salary proposal. I would definitely use it again.
Yeah. It's great for that.

Spaghetti

It's best not to take any one review as gospel.

Trends in the reviews are what you should be paying attention to, I was checking out the BBC reviews recently and the common theme seemed to be that it's under-funded, a bit slow-moving, and bureaucratic. Almost every other review seemed to mention this, new and old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom