• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Kinda) LTTP - Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so this isn't exactly a LTTP thread, at least not yet. I haven't actually bought the game, but I will be buying it later on today once the sale is active ($6.50 for the game + all DLC for PS+ members, aww yeah). I've been wanting a good golf game for some time now, and this seems like a pretty good deal, especially since I love arcadey sports games. I did play the demo, and really loved it despite hearing that the full game is way different from the demo at this point (due to the massive number of patches the game has gotten). But there's a few things I'd like to know before I jump in:

1. How much content is there compared to other golf games? With the DLC courses, there's eight courses, right? That sounds like a pretty good number (144 total holes if I'm not mistaken), how does that compare to other golf games? And in general, how much is there to do?

2. How much customization is there? Does the customization affect gameplay, or is it just cosmetic?

3. Is the online portion of the game still fairly active? I'm fine with playing offline, but having the online there too would be a plus.

4. This one is for anyone who has bought the digital download version: Is it pre-patched? I know most PSN games don't come pre-patched, but I'm hoping this one is different since I've heard horror stories of its awful patching system, and three hour patch downloads.

So yeah, I'm hoping GAF can help me out with some of these. :lol Can't wait to start playing!

T-0800

Welcome to the best golf game on PS3. Awesome game.

I haven't played online in sometime as I have the latest version on Vita but if you ever want a game send me a PM.

mackattk

I can only answer two of these questions. I haven't played the game in awhile.

1. The content is seemingly endless, there are a lot of unlockables, and if you want to raise each golfer up to their max rank, you will be in for a long, long ride. I have never really been interested in any other golf games, so I am not sure how it compares. But there is a ton of stuff to do in the game though.

2. As I said, there are a lot of unlockables, the golf clubs and golf balls affect the golfers stats for range, accuracy, etc. You can also unlock different outfits, but these don't affect the golfers stats.

For $6.50 you really can't go wrong. The patching in this game is terrible though, you pretty much have to redownload the whole game IIRC.

Yagharek

Don't bother patching the game - no-one plays online anymore. Waste of bandwidth.

Other than that, FANTASTIC game, enjoy.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I can only answer two of these questions. I haven't played the game in awhile.

1. The content is seemingly endless, there are a lot of unlockables, and if you want to raise each golfer up to their max rank, you will be in for a long, long ride. I have never really been interested in any other golf games, so I am not sure how it compares. But there is a ton of stuff to do in the game though.

2. As I said, there are a lot of unlockables, the golf clubs and golf balls affect the golfers stats for range, accuracy, etc. You can also unlock different outfits, but these don't affect the golfers stats.

For $6.50 you really can't go wrong. The patching in this game is terrible though, you pretty much have to redownload the whole game IIRC.

Thanks, that sounds great. Well, save for that last thing. That's kinda what I'm hoping to avoid with the digital version.

Takao

Banned
SCEA's naming conventions for this series is so confusing at times. Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds = Hot Shots Golf 5, Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational = Hot Shots Golf 6.

SCEA's naming conventions for this series is so confusing at times. Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds = Hot Shots Golf 5, Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational = Hot Shots Golf 6.

I don't think World Invitational counts as six since it's a portable game. If anything, it would be "Open Tee 3", since "Open Tee" 1 and 2 are portable games, also

But yes, Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds is one of the greatest games I've ever played. I have everything unlocked in the game (in regular mode, not in move mode).

Game is great. Traditional swing FTW!!!

Advanced swing is how real men play!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks, that sounds great. Well, save for that last thing. That's kinda what I'm hoping to avoid with the digital version.

My understanding is this version is all in one. All patched up with all DLC so just one installation.

Might be wrong though.

And the online is pretty empty (assume Japan is moving onto the vita version ported to PS3), but this sale should pick things up a bit.

Takao

Banned
I don't think World Invitational counts as six since it's a portable game. If anything, it would be "Open Tee 3", since "Open Tee" 1 and 2 are portable games, also

No, in Japan Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational is titled Hot Shots Golf (well, technically Minna no Golf/Everybody's Golf) 6. Japan made the series, so ... It was ported to PS3 too.

No, in Japan Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational is titled Hot Shots Golf (well, technically Minna no Golf/Everybody's Golf) 6. Japan made the series, so ... It was ported to PS3 too.

Ah, I see. Well then, that solves that. Do we know if the PS3 port is coming to the US? I would so double dip on that.

From memory none of the patches I installed made the game massively different from the demo ... all the basics are still there. Never played online either but the AI opponents can offer an incredible challenge and it's even better with a few mates sat around!!

Most of the unlocks such as extra caddies/different outfits/etc are all fairly pointless but you do unlock different sets of clubs that affect your stats.

Undeniably the best golf series I've ever encountered!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I bought it in the PS+ sale even though I'm pretty sure I bought it at launch in Japan 7-8 years ago, mainly to have it all neatly patched up and digital, and to get sackboy as a playable character :)

I'm confused. I live in the UK, and own this game:

everybodys-golf-world-tour.jpg

Is this Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds?

Thanks.

I wasn't aware there was more than one on the PS3. Was the other one released in the UK?

Oh, and this is a fantastic game, if anybody was wondering. It plays pretty much exactly like the Mario Golf games, which I love.

Though bear in mind you start with next to no content, and you have to unlock it all, and to do so, you have to play the same courses repeatedly.

The best golf game ever. Not interested in portables, so I've been waiting for a new big-screen version. Losing all my hole-in-one and spiral/homing shot replays when my phat PS3 died was painful. :(

How does one avoid patching a game?

It was one of the first games to come out for the PS3 and the patching process is a bit... exotic. It only looks for updates when you go to the multiplayer menu, and then downloads practically the whole game. If there are several updates, good luck - it will download the 5-6G (or so) multiple times.

The patches aren't necessary at all if you only play single, though. The significant additions are Move support (which I haven't tried) and 3D support, which makes the framerate dip really badly on a few tees if you don't switch the camera angle on the first shot. Bleh.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks.

I wasn't aware there was more than one on the PS3. Was the other one released in the UK?

Oh, and this is a fantastic game, if anybody was wondering. It plays pretty much exactly like the Mario Golf games, which I love.

Though bear in mind you start with next to no content, and you have to unlock it all, and to do so, you have to play the same courses repeatedly.

latest one is basically the Vita game ported to PS3. Only released in Japan at the end of last year so far.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I don't mean this as a knock, but is there something special I'm missing about this series? Since when did people play golf games?

Shouldn't complete version have quite a few items unlocked since they are DLC content?

I don't mean this as a knock, but is there something special I'm missing about this series? Since when did people play golf games?

It's not your traditional golf game. It's a very fun and competitive game designed around golf. Golf can be fun if done right, and this is it. Download the demo and try it for yourself.

Solo Act

The digital version contains all patches and DLC already. There isn't even a small title update when you download it from PSN, it's already set up. I bought it online about a month ago and it has been my most played game since that time.

I believe there are 5 DLC characters (Kratos, Sackboy and some others), and 1 (maybe 2) DLC courses.

For $6.50 it's a can't miss game.

Edit: To answer the question that I just saw, the only characters that are unlocked at the start are the DLC characters (and the 2 that are always there to start a new game). You still have to complete 1 on 1 challenges to unlock the other characters after completing tournaments. It will take time to unlock everyone.

Shouldn't complete version have quite a few items unlocked since they are DLC content?

True, but to unlock more stuff, you'll still be replaying the same non-DLC courses over and over. The game is great fun, but seeing the same holes repeatedly can get tedious, so it's best to play in short bursts.

latest one is basically the Vita game ported to PS3. Only released in Japan at the end of last year so far.

Ah, thanks. Hmm, I own a Vita with only Persona 4, and I was deliberating whether to keep the Vita after I'm finished. There aren't many Vita games I'm interested in, and Everybody's Golf was one of the few that I would get. But hearing that makes me wonder if I'm better off holding out for a worldwide PS3 release, and selling my Vita.

Does it have any extra content not found in the Vita version?

True, but to unlock more stuff, you'll still be replaying the same non-DLC courses over and over. The game is great fun, but seeing the same holes repeatedly can get tedious, so it's best to play in short bursts.

Ah, thanks. Hmm, I own a Vita with only Persona 4, and I was deliberating whether to keep the Vita after I'm finished. There aren't many Vita games I'm interested in, and Everybody's Golf was one of the few that I would get. But hearing that makes me wonder if I'm better off holding out for a worldwide PS3 release, and selling my Vita.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

Tucah

you speak so well
I never played any of the console versions but I love the PSP games. Time for me to bite, I think.

-NeoTB1-

I'm seriously considering this. I have Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational on the Vita and I play it almost daily. I've unlocked almost everything and participate in the daily tournament each day. Seems like a no-brainer for me to pick this one up, too. Might be a good time to finally make the jump to PS+.

winjet81

OK, thanks. Maybe I will pick up the Vita version after all.

You won't regret the Vita version of this game. Absolutely awesome... and the on-line community is still alive and well, at least during peak hours. Last week over 1200 players participated in the weekly tour from the NA/Europe server, rather impressive for a 10-month-old Vita release.

Hopefully a PS3 release will come to NA so that everyone can get all the DLC that has already been created for the Japanese version.

sleepykyo

I'm confused. I live in the UK, and own this game:

everybodys-golf-world-tour.jpg

Is this Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds?

Yes. We got Carlos as the covergirl, er coverguy and the manly rename. Because video game golf is extreme. There's a reason SCEA is worst region despite having the best studios.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't bother patching the game - no-one plays online anymore. Waste of bandwidth.

If he wants to use Toro/Sackboy/Kratos he NEEDS to patch the game wither he wants to or not.

Mik3F

Nice. I've never imported a game before but I may try on this one. What's a good site for importing from Japan? Play Asia?

Play Asia or a good seller on Ebay. I got lucky and found a copy local to me for sale still sealed for the same price as it would have been from Play Asia

Takao

Banned
There is Toro's Putter Golf which was released in English on the Hong Kong PSN for PS3. It's a mini-golf game with Toro, and one of the girls from HSG5. I uses the same engine.

Outside of Move support I don't think so. I believe it doesn't even come with the DLC the Vita version received either. IIRC it supports cross-play though, so players on PS3 can compete with Vita, vice versa.

Top Bottom