• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Joy of being part of the Master Race....

Topher

Gold Member
Wait, you're a multiplayer gamer and you play on console?

e47.jpg

The Joy of Paying for Online Gaming

Hohenheim

How many working-age adults actually prefer to relax at home by sitting at a PC desk after a long day at the office?
I'm one of them! I prefer sitting in my very comfortable chair while gaming.
It's a lot more immersive.
For me it's like night and day playing games like Alan Wake 2, Resident Evil, Dead space etc on the desktop with headphones vs playing stuff like that on a TV further away. The latter just ain't as immersive and scary (and fun)
I do enjoy 2d-platformers etc on the TV though.

Topher

Gold Member
Are PCs flawless gaming machines that never have any issues? Of course not. Are the hyperbolic statements made on this forum by some blowing things way out of proportion? Of course they are.

Fact is, almost a 150 million people play on Steam, peak active user counts approach 35 million and the far, far, far majority of the people have zero issues. For 99% of PC games all you need to do is click the play button and enjoy the game.

Right now I'm having an issue where I cannot play a backward compatible game on my Xbox without having to create an "app specific password" every single time. I'm going to have to get on with Microsoft support for a second time about this.

The Joys of Console gaming? Nah.....shit just happens. Why blow this up into a bigger deal than it is?

It reminded me of this good old thread I made once to vent:

It was a bad idea as some people got really defensive. Some of the replies are absolutely hilarious, like being accused of having an agenda or being called a retard for having issues that are well documented. I was kinda done with seirously discussing PC on GAF after that.
Part of the problem is being on an "enthusiast forum" unfortunately. These people would most likely never argue with you in person.

Edit: I don't care enough/too tired to bother replying lol

Last edited:
Every once in a while a vegan needs to be told no one cares. PC gamers are just vegans obsessed with telling you the benefits of their oppression.

Btw, your CPU is starting to get a little old...

goodfellas-henry-hill.gif
But it still outperforms a PS5/XSX by a landslide. So im good.

Pop Tv Burn GIF by Schitt's Creek

Let's keep it going for shits n giggles.

Last edited:
Wait, you're a multiplayer gamer and you play on console?

e47.jpg

If it's disgusting to be able to enjoy online MP gaming without aimbots, wall hacks and all the other cheating BS that's rampant on PC.. then I don't wanna be anything else.

I grew up in this era of PC gaming

rachid-lotf-rachid-lotf-111-01.jpg.1d112a46edbda7f73a04035b4eec1165.jpg

While you clearly didn't.

I pity you

The lack of MyFreePaySite links on your homepage tells me you weren't a peak PC user of this era.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

If it's disgusting to be able to enjoy online MP gaming without aimbots, wall hacks and all the other cheating BS that's rampant on PC.. then I don't wanna be anything else.
The only people who care about that shit are wannabe e-sport stars try-hards. If you never lived through the experience of joining a random private server and being met with the most weird shit ever, all your multiplayer experiences have been substandard at best.

The lack of MyFreePaySite links on your homepage tells me you weren't a peak PC user of this era.
Uhhhh aimbots and stuff are also on consoles. And consoles have the most toxic kids screaming in a mic.
Take your pick.

I'd rather encounter a poor soul with aimbot then a dozen kids shouting whom don't yet know what pubes are.

Chiggs

Like a mouse and keyboard isn't cheap and there isn't 850 different unique ways of getting free windows

• Decent gaming mouse and keyboard combo: $100
  • Windows Key : $20
And I was a nice guy about all this; you should see how many of these "build a pc for cheap posts!" don't even factor in the cost of a monitor. Hint: it's basically all of them.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The people that post threads (most of them, there are dipshits in every camp) saying that they are having issues and are frustrated that things don't work on PC are often met with condescending comments about how they must not have tried, are mentally retarded, or must be doing something wrong because "it works on my machine".
People here were trying to help til the "This is why I don't PC Game" dudes stepped in. If PC dudes derail conversations to mull on about muh 4k 60 fps then console players at the slightest hint of dissatisfaction towards PC do it twice as hard

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Chiggs

Nobody fucking cares bro

Your answer here is patently ridiculous.

Toots

Gold Member
I gifted myself a good gaming pc through work because i was doing the estimates since no one knew anything about computer there, but i forgot to add a disk drive so i could not install Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines even though i still have the disk so i stopped using it (before even using it).
I don't think you can be more elitist than that.

Actually i downloaded the fanmade modded version and played a few hours but i really found myself with my VTMB disk in hand searching for the disk drive for a good minute. I also brought Cyberpunk 2077 because i wanted to see it in glorious 4k/60fps but i only could go 1440p/30 to 40 fps even with the most powerful computer i could by through work (fuck public contracts). I then stopped playing and it's now nothing more than a dust magnet in my living room.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Your answer here is patently ridiculous.
It was an answer I got from other PC gamers on discord.

Please, next time just discount Windows cost from these conversations. Something that can be obtained for free (or used with a watermark) is not a legitimate cost the same way keyboards, GPUs or monitors are. Plus Linux based OSes exist and using windows is not a requirement to PC game.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
you should see how many of these "build a pc for cheap posts!" don't even factor in the cost of a monitor
how many consoles factor in the cost of the TV?

really, since I made my account here I must have seen like 50 threads like this one and it's always the same dumb stuff being posted again and again.

Last edited:

Chiggs

how many consoles factor in the cost of the TV?

really, since I made my account here I must have seen like 50 threads like this one and it's always the same dumb stuff being posted again and again.

I agree with the logic, but there are two factors at play:

1) My original post was about people trying to convert new PC gamers; the assumption being that these folks need EVERYTHING from ground up, including a monitor, unless they're plugging it into their HDTV.
2) A sizable portion of households in America have access to a television.

But, I agree. Who the fuck would try and sell someone on a PS5 if they don't have a suitable HDTV to pair it up with? I'm just saying the same is also true for a PC.

Last edited:

Chiggs

A sizeable portion of gpus and motherboards have access to an hdmi port the same way consoles do so I don't understand why you need a monitor for a pc and need a TV for a console, they've been interchangeable for 18 years

Because plugging a desktop computer into a TV might not be an option. It's one thing if the person lives alone and can do whatever they want, but if that person has a significant other...or kids, then the factor changes substantially. Maybe at first it's cool, but once the gaming sessions grow longer and longer, the need for a separate display arguably increases.

Side note: Getting a "free" display built in is just one of the many reasons that laptops have been outpacing desktops for years when it comes to sales. Have gaming laptops ever been more prevalent than they are nowadays?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Because plugging a desktop computer into a TV might not be an option. It's one thing if the person lives alone and can do whatever they want, but if that person has a significant other...or kids, then the factor changes substantially. Maybe at first it's cool, but once the gaming sessions grow longer and longer, the need for a separate display arguably increases.
This is an issue with consoles as well. Any sort of gaming on a living room TV is going to be squeezed in-between guests and kids/spouses. This is why many people here own a second screen, that can be a TV or a monitor.

Side note: Getting a "free" display built in is just one of the many reasons that laptops have been outpacing desktops for years when it comes to sales. Have gaming laptops ever been more prevalent than they are nowadays?
They aren't that prevalent from my experience. When I hear about gaming PCs it's mostly the desktops.

Also keep in mind pre-built sales for desktops are gonna decrease when you can... yknow, build a desktop yourself.

Chiggs

They aren't that prevalent from my experience. When I hear about gaming PCs it's mostly the desktops.

Also keep in mind pre-built sales for desktops are gonna decrease when you can... yknow, build a desktop yourself.

You're overestimating the DIY market share. This report, admittedly from 6 years ago, shows just how small it really is. And while it's growing healthily, it's nowhere near the size of prebuilts. You could be right about it erodiing prebuilt sales, though. I wouldn't be shocked.

Meanwhile, in the gaming laptop realm:

Even Gartner, in their year-end wrap up, said that desktops sales had marred a nice overall comeback by laptops:

Lenovo marked its first year-over-year growth in worldwide PC shipments since the third quarter of 2021, registering 3.2% growth. EMEA and the Americas saw double-digit growth, offset by weakness in Asia Pacific and Japan. The depressed economy in China impacted PC demand in general but impacted Lenovo strongly as the country is its largest market. Laptop growth in EMEA and Latin America was robust, well exceeding the regional average.

The U.S. PC market recorded its first year-over-year growth since the second quarter of 2021, with a 1.8% increase in the fourth quarter of 2023. A decline in desktops offset laptop growth.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
of course every platform has problems.
The moment you make peace with that, the easier life becomes.

That's the same with everything in life. New car door rattle? 30 or 300k car will do that. Secretlab chair squeeking?! dude.... I replaced mine 10 times.... the moment I had 3 backrests, 4 pistons, few boxes of parts and leftovers because I was always on the support ticket with them... I looked at my 300 support emails, months and months of back and forth. Stack of boxes and parts.... and at this point it just clicked - I let go. Internally I made peace with it and I instantly felt so much better omg. I emailed the support to stop any ongoing tickets under condiditon to please leave all as is. They don't make me send back boxes, I don't pursue any more claims. They opened a champaign bottle, screamed "finally this bitter idiot let's go!!!!" And closed the ticket lol. That's how I imagine it.
I gave the leftover parts to my friend and guess what? The evening I made peace with them, all the creaking and squeaking went away. It was in my head... I was looking for it.

Anyway - just a stupid anecdote. Sometimes it's good to accept things as they are or move on.
I wanted a peace and simplicity of consoles and I have it. The things described in OP infuriated me needlessly.

wtf-what.gif

MikeM

As someone with a spouse and kids- we have a second TV that they can use if i’m gaming. Also, long gaming sessions with kids is so kid-less life (at least for me lol).

Truth.

MUH PC! Bros can't handle even the slightest critiques about their platform, or any complaint about it's ease of use...or lack thereof. You'll always get some variation of: "Works fine for me/Check PC Gaming Wiki/The problem is between the keyboard and chair."

I don't know what's worse, the obnoxious responses these basement jetsetters spew out when their goddess weathers an insult, or how they pivot into complete snake oil salesmen when it's time to convert someone into a PC Gamer.

"Oh, sure, building a pc the first time will be totally easy! An hour or so, tops!"

"Oh, sure, a good gaming rig will really only set you back $500 or $600 dollars; just look a this PCPartPickers list I made that conveniently excludes system fans, an AIO, a gaming mouse and gaming keyboard, and the cost of Windows!"

I think I'm going to make a thread about PC Gaming Bullshit and use direct examples from GAF and Reddit. It might take some time, but the result should be a lot of fun.

This is like the video game version of "she got raped because she was wearing slutty clothing."
Pc master race players are more flimsy then a pair of Victoria secrets panties that just went through the washing machine.

Guilty_AI

Get betrayal at Krondor to run on an era specific computer without a boot disk.
MS-DOS game -> Use DOS emulator like DOSBox.

Heck, it even sells on GOG (bundled with DOSBox so ready to play out of the gate)

Now run this on a console.

IAmRei

I own PC since 2004, and borrowing my neighbor pc to learn it since 2002.

It is not as simple as console or portable/handheld. I'm more to console person btw, but with PC i can do many things console cant. Such as mods, manual save back up, file tinkering for single player mode and many more... Especially the mods for some games. I once mod my skyrim, witcher 3, elden ring, tales of arise, gta 4, just cause 2, ff15, starcraft 1, star wars battlefront 2 2005, CSS, dark souls 1&3, sekiro, and many more. These few weeks ive been modding my GTA 5 a lot, and the result is awesome game far beyond the vanilla/non modded version. Really really cranked up to the point satisficstion beyond reach of consoles.

But one or two things I know are :
You might not to be able to play straightforward. Especially if You mod it. You will need extra extra patience and determination for better experience.

it might need to adjusting with your system, install fixes, install additional drivers, might be upgrade hardwares, or such more hazzles far beyond convinience of consoles.

But once You overcome it, it became the most versatile platform. Albeit for such some of exclusivities...

For me, very very much worth

Get betrayal at krondor to run on a console
Get betrayal at Krondor to run without a boot disk. The amount of conventional memory required to run it was so high that i never met anyone able to run it without arcane bullshit. Same with origin games in the ultima 7 era.

Topher

Gold Member
Get betrayal at Krondor to run without a boot disk. The amount of conventional memory required to run it was so high that i never met anyone able to run it without arcane bullshit. Same with origin games in the ultima 7 era.

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

Come on bro.

Last edited:
Top Bottom