• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How To Play PlayStation Exclusive Games On Xbox Using Boosteroid

Topher

Gold Member
The console wars are one of the most annoying things about being a gamer. However, where Xbox and several of its owned publishers have released many games on PlayStation and Nintendo Switch, a vast majority of PlayStation exclusives aren’t available on Xbox natively. However, below we are going to show you how to play select PlayStation “exclusive” games on Xbox via a cloud gaming service called Boosteroid, which is one of the most popular services we cover here at Cloud Dosage.

EGS_RatchetClankRiftApart_InsomniacGames_S1_2560x1440-aea43afcad407b14673456322e63a01b-1024x576.jpg

What PlayStation Games Can You Play?​

Boosteroid is a cloud gaming service that is similar in ways to both NVIDIA’s GeForce NOW and Shadow PC. It allows you to purchase games on PC game stores – Steam and the Epic Game Store in particular – and play those games to all of your screens (TV, Phone, Chromebook, Mac etc.) by streaming them from Boosteroid’s cloud servers, which does all the heavy lifting. You can play your games on just about any device that has a browser.

Currently, the number of PlayStation Entertainment Studios video games that are available on Boosteroid via Steam and the Epic Games Store is limited, but it includes a number of notable PlayStation titles including:

What’s a little disappointing, however, is that this is an almost complete list of video games published by PlayStation Studios on PC. However, there are four notable missing games: The Last Of Us Part 1, Sackboy A Big Adventure, Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture, and annoyingly Helldivers 2. That last one was briefly available on Boosteroid before being taken down. I actually wanted to feature Helldivers 2 as the main topic of this article, but it was removed from the service before I could write the article.

Boosteroid News Header

So How Does This Work?​

Now I’m going to go over how to get these games to work on Xbox, but before you do, you must own a copy of one of the games from the list above on either Steam or the Epic Game Store which must also be connected to a Boosteroid account with an active subscription. Now let’s explain how this stuff works, below is a step-by-step guide on how to play Boosteroid on Xbox.

• The first thing you need to do is to open the “Microsoft Edge” browser application on your Xbox. If you notice that the window has a frame around it, you can get rid of the frame by turning off the “Apps can add a border” setting under the “Video Fidelity & Overscan” settings area which itself is under “General TV & display options.”
Xbox Video Fidelity and Overscan Setting
Xbox Setting Apps Can Add Border

• The second thing you need to do is to go on the Boosteroid website and sign in to an account that has an active subscription and is also linked to your Steam or Epic Games Store accounts. You can set up your account on any computer and then visit cloud.boosteroid.com on your Xbox’s Miscrosoft Edge browser.
  • The third thing you need to do is hit the start button (the three-line button) on your Xbox controller to select “game controls”.
Boosteroid on Xbox Use Game Controller

• Step four: select one of the supported games that we listed above, which will all be under the “Install and Play” section. This is the not-officially-sanctioned section of Boosteroid’s game library. Boosteroid is basically acting as a cloud PC for this offering, which means you’ll have to install the game in a private cloud drive each time you play. Thankfully the download and installation is amazingly fast because it is all happening in the cloud.
Boosteroid Install and Play Catalog Showing Helldivers

• The fifth thing you need to do is accept a EULA after the game downloads and launches (which should only take a minute or two at the most)
  • Step Six: profit! Enjoy your gaming session.

Does it Work Well?​

Cloud Gaming on an Xbox (even the Series X) generally works surprisingly well! Microsoft Edge is essentially a forked version of Google Chrome, which is the browser that most Cloud Gaming services support and test on. In addition, unlike a PC or phone, which may typically have dozens of background tasks running all the time, Xbox is a more streamlined device that is meant for gaming.

Horizon Zero Dawn on Xbox

We generally find cloud gaming on Xbox (even in the browser) to be fairly performant. As with all cloud gaming setups, however, your home network makes a huge difference. In general, we recommend having your Xbox connected with a wired ethernet cable whenever possible.

Personally can't think of a worse way to play a game like God of War, but it is what it is. Anyone tried this boosteroid service before?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
My god, the coping strategies of Xbox are insane.
Maybe you're the one coping. I have a PS5 so I don't need this right now, but I would seriously consider it in the future. Never buying a PS console again after how the PS5 has gone. If I could stream the 1-3 games on the system I'd maybe be interested in for $10 a month, I'd take that in a heart beat.

Lots of people talked shit on Xbox and don't want one so they streamed Starfield. It's just an option for people who aren't interested in buying in to a whole console. I just used cloud to play Persona last week and it was virtually indistinguishable from the install. Resolution was 1080 but that was it really. Something like this would be all upside for me next gen if for some reason I don't just transition to PC entirely.

GHG

I have an S and an X. I honestly am not losing much sleep whether Persona is 4K or 1080p.

Well that's down to personal preference.

But the good news is if you have no issue with 1080p potato box quality then you shouldn't need to spend much if you decide to build a PC.

Topher

Gold Member
Is "you can cloud stream Sony games to other places than a Playstation" news to people?

Last I heard, God of War was blocked from Xbox so thought this was interesting.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
How big is your TV/what res?
Why do you guys care? I have a 70 inch and a 65 inch. I can play Switch on the 70 inch and many games are sub 1080p. They're 4K TVs.

I like nice graphics, but it's not the dealbreaker it is for some people on here. Literally all I'm saying is that there's barely any Sony games I want to play right now, and for the last 3 years. For that small number of games, I'm fine considering a cloud option in the future. Ready to unhook the PS5 at this point and hook up the Wii U to play older stuff. PS5 is not being used for several years now.

Well that's down to personal preference.

But the good news is if you have no issue with 1080p potato box quality then you shouldn't need to spend much if you decide to build a PC.
I'm not as worried about the cost as I am just setting it up for the ease of use I like on console. I'll have 2400 by the end of the year without really noticing the auto-withdrawals I set up.

Mr Moose

Why do you guys care? I have a 70 inch and a 65 inch. I can play Switch on the 70 inch and many games are sub 1080p. They're 4K TVs.

I like nice graphics, but it's not the dealbreaker it is for some people on here. Literally all I'm saying is that there's barely any Sony games I want to play right now, and for the last 3 years. For that small number of games, I'm fine considering a cloud option in the future. Ready to unhook the PS5 at this point and hook up the Wii U to play older stuff. PS5 is not being used for several years now.

Just curious. 1080p looks good on my 27" 1080p monitor, not so good on my 50" 4K.

King Dazzar

I have an S and an X. I honestly am not losing much sleep whether Persona is 4K or 1080p.
4K is nice and all, but it's the 1st thing I'm ready to let go of for other things. We don't pay for the 4K option on Netflix either.
Series S is the perfect console for you. I wouldnt leave Xbox if I were you. As quality isnt a priority I'm sure you'll be a happy and content early adopter of all their cloud gaming too as it progresses.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Series S is the perfect console for you. I wouldnt leave Xbox if I were you. As quality isnt a priority I'm sure you'll be a happy and content early adopter of all their cloud gaming too as it progresses.
Cloud gaming is a fine supplemental thing. I wouldn't want that to be what I game on for everything.

Having options triggers a hell of a lot of people on here. Did you guys just realize that PS games are on cloud or something? You can literally play it on a browser if you want.

Top Bottom