• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Verge]Why Microsoft might be considering Xbox exclusives on PlayStation and Nintendo Switch

kyussman

Why wouldn't they?

There's a ton of legit trash games on PSN. Many of MS's games are insufferably mediocre, but that's lightyears better than the trophy-whore-bait already taking server time.

Heck, now MS owns Bethesda and Activision Blizzard, Sony will want those publisher's games on PS5. They never should have been removed in the first place.
I get your point but it feels like free advertising for the Xbox brand.....not sure why Sony would want to promote that on their own consoles.Like most things it would probably come down to money.

Killjoy-NL

I get your point but it feels like free advertising for the Xbox brand.....not sure why Sony would want to promote that on their own consoles.Like most things it would probably come down to money.
That's a perspective people didn’t think about yet.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They're already publishing on PC and if that release window shortens, they're basically there. Their AAA budgets are unsustainable without games going to $90 USD and selling the same quantity. Right now, their budgets have ballooned and they're selling roughly the same quantity generation-to-generation.

Republican National Convention Lies GIF by Election 2016

I keep seeing threads about Microsoft putting their games on PlayStation but none on whether or not PlayStation would actually want Xbox's plethora of middest of mid games clogging up their servers.

Most PS gamers would be open to playing Xbox games on their Playstations. Anybody saying they wouldn't is LYING!

Reminds me of the claims that Sony would be doing always-online DRM as well.

OT:

Now that mainstream games media are picking it up, Xbox as a platform-holder can pretty much be considered dead and buried.

Or that Sony needs to create their own version of GamePass.

Meh, I'd rather have another Killzone.
If I wanted to play Xbox games, I'd have bought an Xbox years ago.

This does makes me wonder if Xbox games on Playstation would actually be really popular.
They'll probably do okay, but I doubt most of the Playstation installbase actually cares about them.

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Shut0wen

tenor.gif

Sounds like you need to play more Xbox games.
What exact standout exclusives have they had in the past 10 years? None especially when the competition has god of war, spider, zelda and mario, if i was being generous id say age of empires 2 and gears 5 but no where near the calibre as the others

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
What exact standout exclusives have they had in the past 10 years? None especially when the competition has god of war, spider, zelda and mario, if i was being generous id say age of empires 2 and gears 5 but no where near the calibre as the others
Well, you said Halo Reach, which was nearly 14 years ago. Thus...

Forza 4
Forza Horizon 5
Gears of War 3
HiFi Rush
Sea of Thieves

To name some. They may not be God of War/Mario-tier, but those are definite standouts.

Last edited:

elmos-acc

Right, let’s hope it’s not “day 1” and they continue their 2-3 year delayed release strategy.
I think they will, even though I don't think it would make a difference. People who like PlayStation games usually like PlayStation consoles as well. So releasing Day 1 on PC wouldn't probably make PS5 any less desirable console, the porting and optimization though wouldn't be the best use of resources.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Forza 4
Forza Horizon 5
Gears of War 3
HiFi Rush
Sea of Thieves

To name some. They may not be God of War/Mario-tier, but those are definite standouts.

Don't miss out on good experiences like Grounded, they're not a traditional over-the-shoulder action games, but great nonetheless.

Shut0wen

Forza 4
Forza Horizon 5
Gears of War 3
HiFi Rush
Sea of Thieves

I said in the last 10 years but you've jogged my memory and id take it back what i said, maybe sea of thieves and also forza horizon are pretty standout imo, hifi rush was great too but halo is down the pan, even though im a massive gears fan coalition hasnt really evolved gears other then adding stealth kills and making it barebones freeroam and the story seems pretty shit definitely say they did a better job with MP then epic ever did (epic cant balance for shit)

Who cares about advertising for Xbox when Sony will be selling PS5 consoles to people on the fence between the two platforms; those who base their buying decisions purely on exclusives?

Xbox consoles are already dead so MS will be an effective 3rd party publisher.

That's like arguing Sony has a problem selling Sega games on their platform because it's free marketing for Sega.

Nydius

The saddest fucking thing I think I've read about the games industry for a long time.

They had a fantastic console with the Series X. To have utterly squandered it so much that they could even be considering putting games out on rival hardware is several shades of pathetic.

To be fair, they squandered it the moment they released the Series S along side it at the lower price point and then demanded feature parity between the consoles. The Series X is the lower selling of the two and the Series S has been a constant source of headaches for both developers and consumers. Great as a Game Pass box, but that's about it.

I don't think they'd be in much better shape if they had followed the same design as the PS5 (releasing a cheaper, digital only XSX, that is) but it would have mitigated a lot of negative press they've gotten from the Series S.

So if you're just ignorant instead of disingenuous, MLB (the league) said they'll revoke Sony's license unless MLB (the show) goes multiplatform. This has been well documented.

Precisely. I don't understand why Adam hasn't gotten more console warring time-outs for his blatantly ignorant, console warring posts like that one. It was known YEARS ago that Major League Baseball dictated that The Show go multiplatform including the Nintendo Switch. It wasn't a Sony decision.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I said in the last 10 years but you've jogged my memory and id take it back what i said, maybe sea of thieves and also forza horizon are pretty standout imo, hifi rush was great too but halo is down the pan, even though im a massive gears fan coalition hasnt really evolved gears other then adding stealth kills and making it barebones freeroam and the story seems pretty shit definitely say they did a better job with MP then epic ever did (epic cant balance for shit)
You switched to the last ten years in the second post . Your original said "they havnt had a good exclusive since halo reach". ;)

In any case, it's untrue no matter, so glad we agree.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Until the article is titled "why Nintendo and Sony might be considering selling Xbox exclusives", there's no story.

Cuz it's not like Sony or Nintendo may even want it.

The saddest fucking thing I think I've read about the games industry for a long time.

They had a fantastic console. To have utterly squandered it so much that they could even be considering putting games out on rival hardware is several shades of pathetic.
Your post sounds like a time capsule from 2001.

8d54fdb562eee9db7d6643adcdc9c8fb.gif

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why wouldn't they?

There's a ton of legit trash games on PSN. Many of MS's games are insufferably mediocre, but that's lightyears better than the trophy-whore-bait already taking server time.

Heck, now MS owns Bethesda and Activision Blizzard, Sony will want those publisher's games on PS5. They never should have been removed in the first place.
Yeah, Sony would welcome MS games on their platform with open arms. There is literally no risk to Sony and they get their 30% cut of the sales. That's free money. Sony would likely help promote Starfield on their platform.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Right, let’s hope it’s not “day 1” and they continue their 2-3 year delayed release strategy.
Yeah, I actually like the strategy. I want my first experience to be PS5 and then play a souped up upgraded version a few years down the line when I would want to do a replay.

iHaunter

Well, their consoles aren't selling well, selling Xbox games to many consumers as possible may be their way out.
Especially considering how much money they spent on Bethesda and Activision with their games being mediocre. COD will always sell at least.

Duchess

Let me see if I understand this, it's not Nintendo that's on the way to 3rd party?
Hmm, not sure. I think we'll know next time Famitsu publishes their Japanese software sales. If you see games from any platform other than Switch in the top 10, they might well be considering it ;)

yurinka

When you see de facto MS PR employees like Tom Warren doing damage control trying to justify some potential future actions that MS fans are going to hate means that this is going to really happen.

Last edited:

yurinka

Sony CEO likes cloud and PC too..

Sony CEO never said that they are going 3rd party.

He said that their focus in gaming will continue being PS and that they'll continue expanding on PC, mobile and cloud. Basically he said they'll continue with the same strategy they have since several years ago.

Regarding PC their strategy will continue being to don't release all their games there, and for non-GaaS to don't release them day one on PC, but instead around 2 or more years from their original release on PS (10 years for the case of TLOU1). A portion of their GaaS that get released on PC (like the Bungie and MP focused ones) will be day one on PC.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
No, that tweet is just worded weird:

Xbox games day one in Game Pass

or

Day one Game Pass game and more Xbox games go multi platform.

There is a difference, even if its subtle. The 2nd question reads like less Xbox games day one and they go multi platform, but still have 3rd party day one games.

LordCBH

I keep seeing threads about Microsoft putting their games on PlayStation but none on whether or not PlayStation would actually want Xbox's plethora of middest of mid games clogging up their servers.

Shit like Redfall is poorly made trash. But I’d still rather play that than life of black Tiger or skull island.

Microsoft gonna slap that on the PS5 box for Redfall:
“LordCBH says: Would rather play this than [PS4 exclusive] Life of Black Tiger!”

Skifi28

8cxuwy.jpg

Getting worried now we still haven't had a phil spencer interview™ yet
This for me is the biggest tell there's something going on behind the scenes other than just random rumors. Phil - never shuts up -Spencer hasn't said a word in weeks. What's up with that?!

Topher

Gold Member
Am I being retarded? What's he asking here?

Would you rather

1) Keep Xbox games day one on game pass

Or

2) Keep Xbox games day one on game pass

What?

Jez Corden actually writes some articles with some logic behind them on Windows Central even if they are biased as hell. But shit like this is proof that posting on twitter makes you less intelligent. Not the first time he's tweet some absurdly idiotic shit on twitter. Or maybe this is the real Jez and he has some intern writing for him on WC.

lol.....check out his poll options:

1lWcZrQ.png

Kill Me Smh GIF

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
This for me is the biggest tell there's something going on behind the scenes other than just random rumors. Phil - never shuts up -Spencer hasn't said a word in weeks. What's up with that?!

Even Tom Warren pointed out that Phil Spencer was quick to correct Tim Stuart on Game Pass going to other platforms, but was absolutely silent about Stuart also saying the same about "first party experiences". Now we have Nadella saying the same thing. Still nothing from Phil. Doesn't really mean anything at this point, but it is still strange.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Why wouldn't they?

My Name is Mayo is top 10 best game ever made, you shut your mouth 😂

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
If Sony allowed trash like Life of Black Tiger and Jumping Donut on PSN, I'm sure they'll be ok if MS releases Sea of Thieves on the PSN store.
They already said Sea of Thieves was most likely coming to PlayStation before the exclusivity things blew up the way it has (at least the way it has on Gaf lol)

Rat Rage

Why? The answer is simple: Mirosoft is preparing its exit from the console space. They've come to the understanding that they've lost in the console hardware market.

It's over, Mircrosoft/Xbox is going thrid party. They've got dreamcast'ed.

wolffy66

I think people need to realize that MS is not concerned with selling systems really. They are interested in active users and or subs.

So they want 2 categories of games, one being a game that adds value to gamepass. That's a game that isn't free to play but is included in GP. And two, a game that has its own way of capturing monthly or seasonal revenue.

I think any game that is likely to draw customers or keep customers in Gamepass will be exclusive. They need new games at a decent cadence to keep people paying.

Any game that is free(or makes more $ from GaaS) and doesn't add value to GP will be available as many places as they can get it. They want as many season passes as possible.

Thirdly games that don't really add either will be case by case.

Top Bottom