• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irrational Games hiring again, seemingly using UE4, multiplayer experience a plus

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Only two jobs currently. One is for a senior programmer, the other for an IT person.

Irrational Games said:
Senior Programmer
Focus: AI & Gameplay

Summary:

Irrational Games is currently looking for a Senior Programmer that is equally experienced in architecting and implementing AI and Gameplay systems. This position will work directly with the Lead Programmer, along with the Animation, Art and Design teams to create fun and interesting AI opponents and gameplay elements for our next title. This position will also be responsible for additional core responsibilities including, but not limited to general gameplay features, tools, engine technology, and build systems.

What You’ll Do:

Design, schedule, document and develop AI behaviors and systems, as well as gameplay systems.
Coordinate consistently with all discipline heads to ensure that the code being developed addresses their needs.
Design and implement algorithms for determining moves made by computer-based opponents, and incorporate all game mechanics to give the illusion of intelligent behavior.
Extensive experience crafting AI for different game types.
Have the ability to architect or significantly extended an AI decision framework.
Build scaling factors to create a range of apparent skills and personalities to play against.
Accurately schedule and track development efforts for assigned tasks.
Review and critique code design and implementation from other programmers.
Fill in as necessary for general gameplay, editor, engine, or even build system or tools tasks.
Supervise junior or mid-level programmers as required.

What We’re Looking For:

3+ years’ experience working on current generation AI.
Shipped at least two game titles.
Unreal Engine 3 and 4 experiences highly desirable.

Skills:

Strong object-oriented design skills and proficiency in C++ programming and debugging.
Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
Strong design sensibilities.
Strong understanding of console design and optimization techniques.
Commitment to code quality, documentation, and thorough testing procedures.
Knowledge of classical AI techniques, game theory, and combinatorial optimization.
Knowledge of software engineering practices.
Knowledge of build systems.
Experience interacting with external programming contractors.
Multiplayer experience is a plus.
Source: http://irrationalgames.com/studio/careers/

pa22word

Hopefully they keep an iron fist on the studio's upper management this time so something like bio infinite doesn't happen again. Say what you want about the game, but 150~ people loosing their jobs due to gross mismanagement isn't good for anyone.

I'm curious on how many people remain from the pre-Infinite days, it was a very talented team and hopefully those that lost their jobs are all employed by now.

DOWN

Banned
Why did 200 people get laid off for a team of 15 instead of the 15 making a new team and the 200 getting to keep jobs with a new game?

Tapejara

I'm kind of confused on what happened with Ken Levine. Did he go completely indie or is he still working with 2K?

pa22word

Why did 200 people get laid off for a team of 15 instead of the 15 making a new team and the 200 getting to keep jobs with a new game?
Because apparently infinite bombed so bad (relative to its budget) they couldn't maintain a studio of that size anymore.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'll definitely keep an eye on this. I think Ken Levine can make an awesome game if regulated and with fewer people. Good luck to them.

I'm curious on how many people remain from the pre-Infinite days, it was a very talented team and hopefully those that lost their jobs are all employed by now.

Probably few, only like a dozen Irrationals remained in the studio.

Most if not all have been hired, I think, some people said that it was "the nicest firing they've ever had". So I hope they got good support for working. I think some ended up in Naughty Dog, SSM, and other high profile places.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

There were only about ~110 people left after the mass exodus near the end of BioShock Infinite's development and shortly after.

Ken Levine wanted to work with a smaller team and Take-Two didn't think they had the staff left (lots and lots of senior staff left) to successfully run a team with the rest of the staff so they laid them off and offered them positions at Take-Two's other studios (Rockstar, Firaxis, and I imagine especially 2K Novato where they seem to be making the next BioShock).

They also ran a career fair so the employees had other options to choose from if they didn't want to work with Take-Two anymore.

I'm kind of confused on what happened with Ken Levine. Did he go completely indie or is he still working with 2K?

New studio under 2K. He got a lot of negative press for seemingly abandoning his former team and going into another high paid job. I have no idea how justified that response was/is though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
New studio under 2K. He got a lot of negative press for seemingly abandoning his former team and going into another high paid job. I have no idea how justified that response was/is though.

There isn't actually a new studio they clarified. It's still Irrational. The job in the OP is for Ken's next game.

pa22word

There were only about ~110 people left after the mass exodus near the end of BioShock Infinite's development and shortly after.

Ken Levine wanted to work with a smaller team and Take-Two didn't think they had the staff left (lots and lots of senior staff left) to successfully run a team with the rest of the staff so they laid them off and offered them positions at Take-Two's other studios (Rockstar, Firaxis, and I imagine especially 2K Novato where they seem to be making the next BioShock).

They also ran a career fair so the employees had other options to choose from if they didn't want to work with Take-Two anymore.
That seems like a very optimistic outlook of what happened, according to polygons expose of the studios closure and infinite's development problems....

Tapejara

Cool, that's what I thought, but I had been having trouble finding confirmation of that. My Google skills are severely lacking.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That seems like a very optimistic outlook of what happened, according to polygons expose of the studios closure and infinite's development problems....

In what sense? I said that like ~90 people were so fed up with Ken they no longer wanted to work there (and there was a small round of layoffs as part of that too after the first DLC IIRC), and then that they decided to shutter the studio since they didn't think the remaining staff was capable of shipping a game as-is when Ken decided he wanted to bail on AAA due to protracted failures with developing Infinite and a sense that he probably couldn't ship another AAA game successfully.

That doesn't seem overly rosy to me. Take-Two was a big presence at their own job fair and said they're intending to continue the BioShock series at a California studio so I don't see too much objectionable on that front.

Guevara

Next gen, online-only, multiplayer wave-based shooter update to Clash in the Clouds. DLC levels from Bioshock and Bioshock 2 and micro-transactions for classic Bioshock abilities.

DOWN

Banned
In what sense? I said that like ~90 people were so fed up with Ken they no longer wanted to work there (and there was a small round of layoffs as part of that too after the first DLC IIRC), and then that they decided to shutter the studio since they didn't think the remaining staff was capable of shipping a game as-is when Ken decided he wanted to bail on AAA due to protracted failures with developing Infinite and a sense that he probably couldn't ship another AAA game successfully.

That doesn't seem overly rosy to me. Take-Two was a big presence at their own job fair and said they're intending to continue the BioShock series at a California studio so I don't see too much objectionable on that front.

It still sounds like a group of 15 were put first and dozens upon dozens of employees got forced to move out, whether that was interviewing inside 2K for new positions elsewhere, or interviewing with other studios. A rather small number of people wanted to avoid development struggles of AAA, so a whole studio gets sent away except for the 15. That's rough if it happened the way that it seems to have.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It still sounds like a group of 15 were put first and dozens upon dozens of employees got forced to move out, whether that was interviewing inside 2K for new positions elsewhere, or interviewing with other studios. A rather small number of people wanted to avoid development struggles of AAA, so a whole studio gets sent away except for the 15. That's rough if it happened the way that it seems to have.
Well yes, it was effectively a studio shutdown.

Irrational basically collapsed after a six year development cycle on BioShock Infinite that drove out half their staff and then, when their creative director felt he couldn't ship another console game without the studio getting shutdown, their publisher seemingly agreed.

I don't think anyone would consider it a happy ending!

Similarly 2K Marin (BioShock 2, XCOM) and 2K Czech-Prague (Mafia) were shutdown around the same time over highly extended development cycles.

Mr. Tibbs

IIRC they're doing both and perhaps a new IP as well.

Whoa! That's super exciting! I guess 2K wanted to establish a studio closer to their headquarters, kind of like what they were intending for 2K Marin. Looking forward to hearing more info.

Top Bottom