• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 Minutes of Bodycam Gameplay (New Unreal Engine 5 Multiplayer FPS) — JackFrags

This Bodycam game has graphics like real life, FPS, pretty crazy, Unreal Engine 5. Playing TDM and free for all.

Bodycam is an ultra-realistic multiplayer, first-person shooter game made using the latest technologies of the next-gen game engine Unreal Engine 5. Developed by two French video game enthusiasts aged 17 & 20, the game was designed to push the limits of realism and photorealism. Bodycam acts as a deathmatch type game where two teams compete to be the last team alive.

GIF3.gif

With the capacities and technologies available thanks to Unreal Engine 5, players will be able to discover a next-gen gaming experience that showcases the future of realistic video games - stunning graphics, immersive sound effects and a smooth gameplay experience guaranteeing an unforgettable gaming experience.

GIF2.gif

Get ready to dive into fast-paced Bodycam actions, where every bullet counts and every choice can decide over the victory or loss of the team. With a variety of weapons at your disposal and tactically optimized maps, you'll need to carefully plan every of your actions to eliminate the enemy team.

GIF1.gif

While we are still in an alpha development stage, please note that Bodycam will be needing a powerful system in order to fully experience the game's potential. We highly recommend you to refer to the required specifications to ensure that your computer meets the minimum requirements in order to take full advantage of all the features.

GIF4.gif

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Like the look of this, will keep an eye on it, nice to see a FPS without someone with a flashing strap on run past or Nikki Minaj plastic arsehole all over the manor.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Will be dead in 3 months. Don't see anything that makes it special other than trying to rush out something, anything, just to be the first famous over this one thing and nothing else photorealistic bodycam visual style FPS sold. Basic multiplayer with no real setting/lore mentioned of course because that's just faster to do than the solo campaign the Unrecord guy's been working on instead (even made a point to buy some of the same assets to fool people into thinking this is that one bodycam FPS they were seeing doing the rounds on media too, coupled with the generic name). Come on 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I didn’t but, maybe developers should start using the in store assets as they look better than 90 of other games.
I see nothing wrong with that.
Robocop uses a ton of quixel megascan assets+ unreal store aseets.
like most of the debris packs, rock packs and so on.

It's fine except after some games, it will all look similar

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Graphically looks awesome. If only COD looked like this. But why use a bodycam FOV cam? Just make it a standard FPS view. This game isn't even a VR game trying to replicate FOV or peripheral vision.

Senua

Oh I thought this was that game. Unrecord looks better. I though this was a downgrade, but it turns out it's a different game.
I could tell it was different because the animations are way worse in this one compared to unrecord

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This looks a hell of a lot like that Unrecord game:

Makes you wonder just how much of the look of both games is just down to Unreal Engine 5 (and its asset library) pulling its weight.

Oh I thought this was that game. Unrecord looks better. I though this was a downgrade, but it turns out it's a different game.
In the Jackfrags comments, people say it's two different games by two different teams. But one guy says both games are using the same graffiti texture pack. So must be some Unreal asset store purchase they are both using.

Last edited:
This looks a hell of a lot like that Unrecord game:

Makes you wonder just how much of the look of both games is just down to Unreal Engine 5 (and its asset library) pulling its weight.

Bodycam is missing some very subtle artistic touches that Unrecord has. Honestly, for anyone who’s not an artist, these two videos are almost a perfect example comparison of artistic vision and imitation.

Regardless of both though, unfortunately the sad fact sometimes isn’t about who does it better, but who comes out first.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Will be dead in 3 months. Don't see anything that makes it special other than trying to rush out something, anything, just to be the first famous over this one thing and nothing else photrealistic bodycam visual style FPS sold. Basic multiplayer with no real setting/lore mentioned of course because that's just faster to do than the solo campaign the Unrecord guy's been working on instead (even made a point to buy some of the same assets to fool people into thinking this is that one bodycam FPS they were seeing doing the rounds on media too, coupled with the generic name?). Come on 🤷‍♂️
OK and your point I could point you to 1000 games that are dead within three months some that are dead on arrival by AAA companies so in that regard I think this is pretty special and I look forward to playing it

Kikorin

The control scheme looks awkward as fuck, but would works great with a Wiimote. Graphically looks amazing, don't know if this kind of thing can works on the long run, but in clip looks impressive.

Soltype

I thought the same, I thought it was just a downgrade to run on lower end hardware, didn't realize there were two different games doing the same thing.

CamHostage

If only COD looked like this. But why use a bodycam FOV cam? Just make it a standard FPS view. This game isn't even a VR game trying to replicate FOV or peripheral vision.

Oh, because bodycam FOV convinces you that it looks real.

Nothing about these bodycam FOV games is tech that hasn't been used in modern projects (or in the plans for being used; sometimes the tech is still iffy and a big studio hasn't figured out where it would place in their long game, while an indie sees it and can toss it into a small-scale work right away,) but it's a nice combination of photogrammetry and camera tricks and specific FX like motion blur and narrow FOV fisheye lens and to create generally photo-approximate scenes. Study some photographic techniques and aberrations (or apply filters/effects you can get from the Marketplace,) shake the camera around whenever you move, blow out your lighting and crush the contrast to look like bad video, and suddenly even simplistic environments with basic texturing can look like you're there.

In still photos, Bodycam and Unrecord don't really look like real life, but add the motion effects and your brain can get convinced that it's video not computer graphics (especially if it's simple enough to not distract your eye to things which fail the test.) I've made this comparison before, but old Gears of War is intentionally designed to maximize the values and hide the flaws of UE3, and one of those tricks is the brilliant Roadie Run. When you run, the camera pulls in close to the boxy character, the FOV narrows, motion blurs, the camera shakes, and it looks more real than any other time of the game. Same graphics, different effects.

ss_d1f227c98e98bf65128eea7adef8811163d2d4a7.jpg
ss_55ddf9100ded6d9a2aa61db5b6707c0241fda2dc.jpg

So, why isn't every game just using these tricks to look "real"? Well, for one thing, this camera style tends to make gamers annoyed, with all the shaking and slathered-on distortion effects and blown out lighting. All the effects you turn off immediately when you buy a game (like rofif mentioned) is what makes these games look this way on video. If most games actually played the way these games looked, they could be tiresome over long play sessions and detrimental to play accuracy. Second is that there's a reason most of these games look like abandoned Eastern European warehouses and dark forests. These environments come from photo scans, and you need to go to these places (and be undisturbed while taking a bazillion snapshots) to make a place. Third is, you're not actually playing any bodycam FOV games right now, are you? Do you own any bodycam FOV games? It's easy to claim that these developers are putting pros to shame based on footage you see online, but all of them are proof-of-concept videos of gameplay that aren't in hands yet. They don't have the burden of fitting all those photogrammetry assets into a downloadable build, of stitching together elements of spaces which are captured at different times of day or different locations, of providing a full variety of looks across an entire game experience, etc for all the challenges of actually shipping a game and of deploying a useable game using this approach to design. Until it's in your hands, you don't know what there is to complain about what you don't like about bodycam FOV games, and it all looks nice on Youtube until then.

Last edited:

Brigandier

I think it looks great, love the close quarters combat and the gun sounds are top notch!!! I will keep my eye on this!!!

CamHostage

That chromatic aberration :sick:
...I understand the reason they added it, but it doesn't make it any less distracting and headache-inducing. They better include an option to disable it.

Heh, if you're asking them to disable the chromatic aberration, might as well toggle off the smeary motion blur and bloom, switch over to a greater FOV without fisheye distortion, let me turn off body-shake, and, fuck it, go ahead and add an aiming crosshair so I can tell where my goddamned bullets are going to go when I shoot...

These Bodycam FOV games look and play a specific way for a reason. Turn off the effects or change the gameplay to be more "game'y", and you don't have much left to make them individual or interesting.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Eh, good on you for defending against trend-hoppers and over-reactions online to quick hype, but I'm not sure why you're holding Unrecord up as the originator of bodycam FOV gaming.
I'm not.

Still, just as your "it got bluedraked" video says it did blow up online with the first showings (which indeed weren't the Unrecord trailer but that's what it ended up being, it's known) and got a ton of immitators and more after the game trailer still and this is obviously one of them, that's all I said.

Likening this to body cam trailers of games that weren't body cam in gameplay is silly, might as well show actual body cam videos and say it ripped those off. Like, that's the point. But indeed, you may find other ~~~cam games that did it first, even if not as successfully as one scripted trailer can.

Obviously on the other hand not everything bodycam related is due to Unrecord, I doubt for example that the GTAVI bodycam bits in the trailer (and with again the game itself not being in that style at all) had anything to do with it, they're just, ya know, actual body cam inspired as it's a real thing.

Never said they don't use store assets on that game either, didn't need bluedrake to tell me that (and that's all his video says). I even said in the post you quote that this project bought some of the same stuff (which on its own is fine to do, that's why the assets are sold lol, to be bought, as they are).

PS: dude wasn't working on it alone at any point and has hired more folks since and is hiring more, so maybe your bluedrake was too clickbait fast to go all oh, it's just some fx artist that has nothing to do with game making (as if nobody has ever moved to game making from elsewhere), must suck.

Not his fault a mere dev tweet blew up (but as an indie is right to take advantage afterwards), just because folks latched on that doesn't mean it was his and his studio's intent to just be clickbait with no substance, it's an absurd claim for anyone outside the studio. If they'll succeed is another matter...

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Heh, if you're asking them to disable the chromatic aberration, might as well toggle off the smeary motion blur and bloom, switch over to a greater FOV without fisheye distortion, let me turn off body-shake, and, fuck it, go ahead and add an aiming crosshair so I can tell where my goddamned bullets are going to go when I shoot...

These Bodycam FOV games look and play a specific way for a reason. Turn off the effects or change the gameplay to be more "game'y", and you don't have much left to make them individual or interesting.

It's not about making it more "gamey", CA literally gives me eyestrain and headaches. Hence why I despise it and always want the option to disable it.

CamHostage

just as your "bluedraked" video says it did blow up online with the first showings and got a ton of immitators and more after the game trailer still and this is obviously one of them. That's all I said.

Showing body cam trailers of games that weren't body cam in gameplay is silly, might as well show actual body cam videos and say it ripped them off. Like, that's the point.

Eh, sorry, two posts got tangled up in each other.

Also, you know what the heck you're talking about, so I don't need to educate you on the history of bodycam FOV games. (I got confused between this game titled Bodycam and the previous "Bodycam Project" by 'Alexandre', which I think is the same thing as Unrecord? And this is a different thing but uses a lot of the same or similar Abandoned Russian Building materials.)

This is that original BlueDrake42 clip, where he bragged that a bodycam project looked like real life (...and then, because BlueDrake is a knucklehead YTer who doesn't research or know what he's talking about but gets clicks because he's excitable, he did a second clip where he disclosed that the bodycam project footage used a Marketplace level almost without modification and just employed bodycam FOV effects and bragged that he had made a "game" of the same level. )

I still wouldn't necessarily label Bodycam a ripoff of Unrecord though. There are lots of projects with this perspective out there, mostly in the horror realm but military shooters are also prevalent, albeit Alexandre's Unrecord has a specific targeting approach (or lack thereof) that might be specific to their game.

Last edited:

CamHostage

It's not about making it more "gamey", CA literally gives me eyestrain and headaches. Hence why I despise it and always want the option to disable it.

Same thing though with motion blur, same thing with camera shake, same thing with missing shots in a FPS because there's no godforsaken aiming reticule...

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Same thing though with motion blur, same thing with camera shake, same thing with missing shots in a FPS because there's no godforsaken aiming reticule...

First two absolutely have options in most games to disable them, so that shouldn't be an issue. I think you're stretching with the third example, but in any case, that's a gameplay design choice, not a visual effect like the others.

CamHostage

First two absolutely have options in most games to disable them, so that shouldn't be an issue. I think you're stretching with the third example, but in any case, that's a gameplay design choice, not a visual effect like the others.

These bodycam FOV games could basically be described as "visual effects = gameplay design".

I still wouldn't necessarily label Bodycam a ripoff of Unrecord though. There are lots of projects with this perspective out there, mostly in the horror realm but military shooters are also prevalent, albeit Alexandre's Unrecord has a specific targeting approach (or lack thereof) that might be specific to their game.
I just wanted to state that I don't think Bodycam is necessarily a rip off, but I'm only pointing out the fact that you can easily tell who is going the extra mile and putting in the extra work to make sure that they achieve an artistic vision.

The other work doesn't look like a vision is being achieved but it instead reminds me of when someone tries to emulate a professional photographer photo with a bunch of quick filters or maybe the free limited version of photoshop. The effect is very close, but side by side you can tell which team achieved the intended effect.

In this case, Bodycam looks like a really good looking snappy-animation, military shooter video game with a Body camera FOV. It still has the game-y look.
Whereas Unrecord looks like it has multiple moments where it can reasonably be mistaken for real life footage. It shows in the way they handle lighting, effects, player animations, and even down to the sound design like the echoes in the building. It screams artistic vision with a goal in mind.

I guess another comparison I can think of to use as an example is DmC: Devil May Cry and actual Devil May Cry.

DmC: Devil May Cry by Ninja Theory isn't a bad video game, but Devil May Cry fans know that it felt off in many ways. It felt like a developer doing an imitation of what they 'felt' like what Devil May Cry is to them. They also went with that 'feeling' when it came to the characters and story of Dante and Vergil. They saw Dante as 'rebellious' but didn't quite get why. So they made him swear a ton, give middle fingers to people, and act like what many here would consider an asshole. Not a likeable asshole, just an asshole. It even showed in his outfit design which was more like a bum with a trench coat, which again, is because they weren't paying close enough attention to his designs and overall character from DMC 1, 3, and 4.

Bodycam could end up a fun game, but that's all I'm trying to point out.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
These bodycam FOV games could basically be described as "visual effects = gameplay design".

Having an option to disable CA would not affect the gameplay in any capacity whatsoever, I assure you. It would just make the experience more tolerable for people who are physically sensitive to that effect.

Top Bottom