• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katamari Damacy Tribute trailer

If you want to know more about the storyline in Katamari Forever, know that it involves the King of All Cosmos, the Prince, and a Robot King of all Cosmos. The King has lost his memories after falling and hitting his head on a planet, a narrative twist that will drive one of the game modes. Given that the King has amnesia, his memory of the worlds that make up the remixed levels is incomplete, resulting in levels that are completely devoid of color. As the Prince, your job will be to restore color to the world (and, consequently, the King's memory). To do so, you simply roll the Katamari ball around the bleak world; doing so will add splashes of color to the world in addition to picking up objects as you go. Periodically, you'll come across columns of light that appear in the world. Rolling over one of these columns will cause a huge suction effect, drawing in lots of objects toward your Katamari ball. These columns of light look set to be which is a handy tool to have at your disposal, especially as you get close to the end of a level. Once you've restored enough color to the world within the level's time limit, you'll move on to the next challenge.

If the previous levels play like a Katamari-themed version of de Blob for the Wii, then the other level that we saw during the Katamari Forever demo had some definite Gardening Mama influences. In this level, the entirety of the gameworld was dried over and parched. The goal here was to bring life back to the world by using your Katamari ball as a sprinkler of sorts. Your first step will be to find a water source into which you can roll your Katamari ball. Once loaded with water, you simply roll around the dry parts of the level, instantly restoring greenery to the world; flowers, trees, grass, and other assorted shrubbery will pop up.

You'll periodically need to go back and refill your water supply to keep spreading the green, and you'll make use of the new hop ability, which you can use to access hard-to-reach areas. To jump, you can either move the Sixaxis controller up or press the R2 button. Moving to new heights in a level will give you access to new water stores, as well as more territory to bring back to life.

http://www.gamespot.com/events/namcobandai09/story.html?sid=6208897&tag=top_stories;title;2

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1222996_1124.html

Copy and paste the link.

YouTube link. Credit to neo2046

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFiSkXGGG60

HD: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48584.html
SD: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48579.html

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
In which Jtwo gets even more jealous of PSN.

Looks like Beautiful Katamari with some new levels and cel-shading. Unless the new levels being shown here were the DLC ones for the 360, never bought them.

iceatcs

I like the different graphics style in each levels (cell shaded in one of the level)

And in space :)

duckroll said:
This is why you shouldn't do this. :p

It says it supports Playstation Network. Which is another way of saying "Leaderboards and some sort of online function supported" but otherwise it says nothing. From the way it's announced, I'm pretty sure this is a retail product.

Yeah, didnt famitsu have this down as a PS3 release - not PSN? so makes sense

atomico

can't watch this at work :(

Noby Noby was nice, but it didn't *click* like KD.

Provided the Scamco DLC bullshit is kept at "moderate", I'm definitely buying this :D

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Night_Trekker said:
Does the original creator have anything to do with this one?

this is not the greatest Katamari game in the world... this is just a tribute...

kenta

Has no PEINS
duckroll said:
No, why would he. He has nothing more to add to Katamari.
*rimshot*

Kind of hard not to be a little disappointed with the rehash-ish nature of the game but perhaps we should be lucky they're just sticking to what we already know is good

ampere

Looks very similar to the 360 version, but I'm seeing some levels that I'm not familiar with (could be DLC that I avoided though). I really think it's going to be a retail port/upgrade of Beautiful Katamari.
Not too interested in getting it as I already have Beautiful Katamari.

ciaossu said:
Looks very similar to the 360 version, but I'm seeing some levels that I'm not familiar with (could be DLC that I avoided though). I really think it's going to be a retail port/upgrade of Beautiful Katamari.

It's more of a Greatest Hits game, which means it's going to be mostly good stuff with extras, even featuring the original creator's work and original soundtracks. I saw at least a couple levels from We Love Katamari, which is great. I haven't played other Katamari games, so I'm most likely going to like this one.

Seems like a few of you missed this:
Tribute retains the basic Katamari Damacy formula, but appears to up the scale of everything. You'll find items in far greater numbers sitting around waiting to be picked up and added to your growing katamari clump. The game features over 30 stage goals -- the highest number in series history.

Some of the biggest changes are in the presentation. The game supports full 1080p -- as in 1920x1080.

In addition, the visual design has changed. Or, rather, it can be changed. You can now choose your own visual style, selecting from a variety of styles like "comic touch," "new touch," and "wood touch." The game's rendering engine changes accordingly. Those who like the original style can play the old fashioned way too.

Other new elements include a new monochrome stage, where everything except for your katamari is monochrome, and an all new mode of play that's still being kept under wraps. The game will also feature some form of PlayStation Network support. Famitsu lists the title as supporting two players, so we're hoping for some form of online play.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/966/966106p1.html

inner-G

Banned
It may be a small thing, but I hope the game has the cutout animals that pop up in the corner like Noby Noy boy and this trailer do. かわいいよ!

*edit* I think it shows 'comic touch' at 0:46 looks pretty cool :D

USD

That's weird, in some of the scenes it looks to have the original Katamari graphical style, yet in others it looks slightly different, kinda cel-shadedish.

billy.sea

Banned
So NamcoBandai decided to release Katamari on any platforms possible (PSP, iPhone, 360, PS3 etc) except the two most ideal ones - Wii and DS would give Katamari great control.

Jaruru

USD said:
That's weird, in some of the scenes it looks to have the original Katamari graphical style, yet in others it looks slightly different, kinda cel-shadedish.

depends on stage? or option to choose would be great :p
new remix of my fav. song? YEA~

inner-G

Banned
USD said:
someone posted earlier that you can choose the graphical styles: 'new touch' 'comic touch' and 'wood touch'.

iFootball

Im in, day one.....

Edit:.... although... I would rather see this coming thru PSN... dunno why.. it's just more convenient... it's the type of game I rather have installed, available at all times... I've noticed this trend where I'm playing more PSN games just because I don't have to make the commitment of taking out a disc and inserting another one.... Digital Age now!

jett

D-Member
duckroll said:
This is why you shouldn't do this. :p

It says it supports Playstation Network. Which is another way of saying "Leaderboards and some sort of online function supported" but otherwise it says nothing. From the way it's announced, I'm pretty sure this is a retail product.

Fail. Unless it's $10 and on PSN, do not want.

Zoe

billy.sea said:
So NamcoBandai decided to release Katamari on any platforms possible (PSP, iPhone, 360, PS3 etc) except the two most ideal ones - Wii and DS would give Katamari great control.

I can understand the DS (though it's no longer the same game since you're not playing a tank), but why does everybody think this would be so perfect for the Wii?

Ranger X

Zoe said:
I can understand the DS (though it's no longer the same game since you're not playing a tank), but why does everybody think this would be so perfect for the Wii?

I don't even see how it's more suit for the DS. Because you'd roll up sliding the stylus? This kills the tank control style of the game...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
If the soundtrack is on par with the first game, I'm there on Day 1. Call me crazy, but I'd go so far as saying the original had one of the best video game soundtracks this decade...maybe ever. Hotness all over.

Zoe said:
for the same reason every desirable franchise would be so perfect for the wii

inner-G

Banned
Grizzlyjin said:
If the soundtrack is on par with the first game, I'm there on Day 1. Call me crazy, but I'd go so far as saying the original had one of the best video game soundtracks this decade...maybe ever. Hotness all over.
I'd have to agree there.

The Beautiful Katamari sdtk. was surprisingly good too, but not as solid all over imo. 'Into the Sky' and 'Boyfriend' were both pretty awesome tracks.

Top Bottom