• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Jetpack 2

rpmurphy

LINK: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adept/jetpack-2

I just found out about this earlier today (it was actually launched last month). Currently it's ~$8,500 backed out of a goal of $10,000.
UPDATE: It's fully funded!

If you guys are unfamiliar with Jetpack, it was a great DOS game release back in the 90's that was a platformer that was like Lode Runner except with a jetpack, a lot more enemy types, environments, and a fully-custom level editor. It's been freeware for a long time now so if you haven't tried it before, it's available here: http://www.adeptsoftware.com/jetpack/

Original game advert:
FryBp.gif

The creator of Jetpack has been trying to do a remake of it for some time now, and has launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for the last legs of the development which will also include hiring people to polish the graphics and level design. Release will be on PC, Mac, and Linux, DRM-free, with plans for at least two expansion packs. He's also looking into a Steam release if possible.

I'm remaking Jetpack, with the best parts of the original, and killer enhancements like: a real physics engine, 1000+ tiles, and a full digital soundtrack composed of old school MOD files. Jetpack 2 will be the most advanced, small scale platform game ever made - with your help.

Minimum pledge to get the game is $15 (limited quantities) or $20.

Anybody else on GAF interested?

EDIT:
Concept art:

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wow Jetpack! This totally takes me back to my childhood.
I used to compete against my brother making levels.

Hope it goes through.

gutabo

ZOMG Jetpack! The memories! I feel old now :(

Happy to see that it's near its goal, hopefully it'll get funded and done.

rpmurphy

I like the sprites. Very 90's Shareware-ish.
Yeah, I think the original graphics are still pretty nice. I don't know if the new game will have an option for sprite graphics though. :(

Backers in the beta are making some cool-looking levels (including a Jumpman tribute level):
backer-levels.jpg

rpmurphy

Well they're still sprites!

The original spritework is 80's, his new sprites are very 90's I think.
Ok I see what you mean about the aesthetics. I get confused sometimes with 2D game terminology since there seems to be a lot of different ways that people do it nowadays.

I do hope it does get funded and do well, since the guy is hoping to also do some portable versions down the line. I think there was someone else who was trying to do a DS homebrew port of the original at one point, and I don't think that got to completion unfortunately. :(

Top Bottom