• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octopus City Blues [Kickstarter] Nothing says classy like tentacles, and lots of 'em

As of 9/25 @ 1:00PM CDT, LESS THAN 12 HOURS LEFT!

The authentic Octopus City simulation for Windows, OS X and Linux. A surreal adventure game about everything and nothing.
PayPal: Link

Intro

Creator said:
Assume the role of Kaf Kafkaryan, a cowardly middle-aged octopus blood junkie and tentacle trimmer, living in a city built around a giant octopus. Kaf has been experiencing bizarre dreams about a world populated by twisted creatures. To help the inhabitants of his dreams, he must learn more about the people of the city and explore the underside of the towering metropolis. Along the way he becomes entangled in a conspiracy with far-reaching implications for Octopus City.

Screenshots said:
ebiZz64.png
afBRrEu.png
y70FtFP.png

v6r1RZh.png

Features:

- An authentic Octopus City simulation offering nothing but the most lovely tentacles ever conceived; wonderful pixel art and animations bring the city to life with the help of a diverse soundtrack.
- Learn more about the city's dark history and its corrupt inhabitants in a non-linear main story.
- Strange dreams to explore, each with its unique story and presentation.
- Exciting things are always happening in Octopus City. Each NPC has his or her personality, relationships, and daily schedule.
- More tentacles than the competition. You won't be disappointed like that one game that had the word Tentacle in its title but featured only two of them.
- Learn exciting abilities such as: performing a spin dash, cutting dead tentacles, interpretive dancing, and dumpster diving.
- An open world experience offering a lot of flexibility in the order of attempting the main story quests. There are several ways to complete each quest and your choices have mysterious effects.
- A dialogue system built around acquiring knowledge and managing stress.
- Absolutely DRM-free. You will be able to change Kaf's sprite into Sora from Kingdom Hearts or replace the OST with your favorite Hall & Oats album.

Stretch goals:

jv8a6FL.gif

fnFzW6V.gif

Kickstarter/Paypal

I stumbled across this while browsing the games section a few days ago. The art style hooked me immediately, the low res and limited palette harkening back to the VGA era of adventure gaming (*ahem* Day of the Tentacle, anyone?). The pixel work is really well done, and the game itself oozes with its own dark sarcastic charm. Additionally the promise of a non-linear narrative with a ton of side missions and distractions sounds like a ton of fun to explore, making backing an instant no-brainer for me.

The project is already well past its funding goal and on track to reach just about every stretch goal that can be conceived, but I figured there would be plenty on GAF who wouldn't wanna miss out on giving a promising game like this the recognition it deserves regardless of funding.

I love everything about this Kickstarter.

From the final stretch goal of, "A Better Game," to;

Pledge $1,000 or more

HELPER - We appreciate even the smallest of pledges. You'll get a personal email from the people behind the game thanking you for your help. You may get the previous rewards if we're feeling generous.

Byshop

"I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going..."

Sorry, but somebody had to say it. Seriously, though, the game looks like good, quirky fun. Kickstarter rocks.

Bloody hell, some high profile backer must've reneged, the KS is actually -$355 on the day so far :/ Too much farther and they might have to actually erase a previously reached stretch goal, which would be the first instance of such a thing happening that I know of.

Top Bottom