• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #4 |OT| - Thunderblocks are go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest
After a longer hiatus we are back with full swing. One quick set-based contest now and we will have a theme based one very soon after this with no holds barred on what LEGO one can use.

Idea: to face of in a hardened custom creation battle where the winner takes all and everyone else gets a pat on the back.

Aim: Having fun and improving our brick building skills on the way.

Rules: One cheapish set (that is still readily available) is chosen to give everyone a level playing field. From the parts contained in this one set (including the spares that come with the box) a custom creation is to be built, no further theme or model limitations are placed. The custom model should however be of your own design and not blatantly copied from somewhere else, getting inspiration and ideas is of course permissible. Using parts not contained in the chosen set is not allowed.

Timeframe: The contest will last one month from the start date, plenty of time for everyone to get the required set and start building. The custom model should be posted in the contest thread by the final date and the OT will be updated with links to the corresponding post. Each entry should contain no more than 5 pictures including one that also shows the pile of left over parts. Every member only gets to submit one entry, alternate builds can be bragged about after the contest deadline is over. Your original entry and post can be edited at will till the final deadline. Remember to take good photos of your model, I would recommend you try and find a uniform background and as much light as possible.

Start Date: 2014-01-24
End Date: 2014-02-16 2400 CEST​

[edit]
Voting is now open here

[edit2]
Votes are counted and the results can be found here

Submission:
To ensure I don't miss an entry you can always drop me a PM with a link, also if you are unhappy with my choice of name for your model, don't hesitate to give me the official name of your creation.

Face-off: The winner is then chosen by popular vote. For one week after the OT has been updated with the finalised entries and the voting round is officially opened by the OP voting can commence.
Every voter has exactly 6 votes:
- one worth 3 points
- two worth 2 points
- three worth 1 point
You give your favourite Model 3 points the two runners up 2 points each and have another 3 points to distribute amongst the other entries.
By what measure you rate the entries is entirely up to you.

Previous Contest:
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #2
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #3

Current Contest:
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #4
Model to be used: 31008-1 Thunder Wings
lxxN5y6.jpg

Number of pieces: 235 (+2)
Number of colours: 10

More information:

Where to buy:
xVOpcGs.jpg
Buy at Amazon.com (19.97$)

rqyu4gu.jpg
Buy at Amazon.co.uk (14.99£)

aIl4HhP.gif
Buy at Amazon.de (17.99€)

many other places too. So check your local retailer, they might even have it on sale, you never know!

Participants and their entries: (last updated 2014-02-16)
If you find an error, in Names or links please let me know.

055 - FliXFantatier's s.o. - Firby
061 - SilkyEskimo - A City Divided
063 - mrkgoo - Exotic Insect
077 - massoluk - Valkyrie Zeta
080 - BentBricks - MOC'ing Bird
086 - Martheron - Hungry Monster
091 - Ponn01 - S.H.A.R.C. (Submersible Hover Aeronautical Recon Combat) Vehicle
092 - Paper Sparrow - COBRABOT
094 - FliXFantatier - Podracer
100 - Winnie the Pimp - Deep Space Defender
105 - :Motorbass - Spider
124 - Bakkuma371 - TW-318 GARC
128 - Tempy - space battleship
137 - neonglow - WipEout Racer
138 - RichardAM - Wipeout-y
141 - Chezzymann - Killertron 2000
147 - PhonicpleBone - Dragon Head
157 - MisterNoisy - Cool Cruiser Spacecraft
159 - PalaceBrother - Breakdancing Robot
164 - ChaChaChaChia - Micro Sydney Opera House
167 - jaxapollo - hovercar ... bird ... thing

Prize Pool:
We have decided to not have prizes this time, no pressure to win anything just have fun and build like a mortal godDess.

Past Generous and Glorious Donors:
UParjGb.jpg
FliXFantatier (3)
2x8vCjO.jpg
ghostmind
xVOpcGs.jpg
MisterNoisy (2)
yWydJFD.gif
nny
xVOpcGs.jpg
PhoncipleBone (2)
xVOpcGs.jpg
R-User!
rqyu4gu.jpg
RichardAM
xVOpcGs.jpg
whatsinaname

I was just having a tidy when I found this set all tucked away in one of my boxes in a ziploc bag which is a rarity for me. If I had not been in the LEGO OT I would have tipped that bag into my big "to sort" box.

Anyway, I'm in.

mrkgoo

Hopefully I'm in. If I can scrape together the money. Set is not as cheap here, no question if it was a set I actually wanted anyway, but....

mrkgoo

Just noticed this. So Flix is this final - definitely no prizes? Let me know if this changes-I wanted to contribute this time.

My opinion is that prizes make the threads too 'serious' and competitive, but as someone who prefers less rules and fixed regulations (I still feel these are still a tad overdone - eh, actually it's not TOO bad) and more 'just-do-it', people should just do what they want. If you want to add a prize, I'm sure no-one will really argue.

Hopefully I'm in. If I can scrape together the money. Set is not as cheap here, no question if it was a set I actually wanted anyway, but....

Double post.

My opinion is that prizes make the threads too 'serious' and competitive, but as someone who prefers less rules and fixed regulations (I still feel these are still a tad overdone - eh, actually it's not TOO bad) and more 'just-do-it', people should just do what they want. If you want to add a prize, I'm sure no-one will really argue.

As a side note, could we just build something in Lego Digital designer?

Uhhh, just use "edit post" man. haha.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmm - wings, wheels, joints - nice set for almost anything. Will check my local toy shop today, see if they have it

Ironmask

ouch! didn't see it coming. I already have that set but it's in my other house, 8hrs from where i live....

i really hope to get a bargain somewhere and enjoy the fun with you guys

Wubby

Oooh this set looks like it would make a mean Vic Viper. I'll have to see if I can find it in my corner of Japan. Haven't done one of these since my vic viper in the first contest.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Swooshability encouraged, right? :)

Im off to visit a Lego Store later next month but ive just ordered the set online to stay safe, cant wait- its been a few months since ive built.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for the new contest. I already have the set (just got it about three weeks ago actually), I don't have time to work on a build this weekend. Will try to submit something before the deadline though.

Kuntz

Found the set.
Tomorrow : reviewing the pieces...
Then figuring out what i can dovwith those with my nonexistent lego skills.

I'm hyped!

Martheron

I'll give this a shot, worse thing that happens is I'm put to shame like I know i'm going to be!

Edit:

Holy cow I forgot how much I suck at building, Might be why i stopped playing with legos in the first place lol

mrkgoo

So I just built the jet in Lego Digital Designer - it's actually pretty neat.

It think the robot and car look pretty bad, though.

The set seems to have some interesting pieces, however, so I'm considering getting it. Thing is, it's a NZ$40 set here in NZ. The pricing is weird - other $40 sets in NZ include the creatures sets (like Furry Creatures and Forest Animals), which I assume are also US$20 sets. That's fine.

But then you have that new Quad Bike (31022), and the Highway Speedster (31006), which are also NZ$40, but these are US$25 sets.

Then there's the Twinblade Adventures, a US$18 set that sells for NZ$30.

Lol, checking the S@H store for NZ - $40 sets cost $50 to ship :( But I get free shipping if I spend over $300! :(

Tuvoc

Then figuring out what i can do with those with my nonexistent lego skills.
you and me, bro
I'll give this a shot, worse thing that happens is I'm put to shame like I know i'm going to be!

I'm excited to see all the amateur builder's MOC's. But based on some of the stuff I've seen in the official LEGO thread, we're gonna get smoked!

And I'm ok with that.

I've built several licensed models this year. I'm curious to see how my imagination compares to the one I had 10-15 years ago.

mrkgoo

I'm excited to see all the amateur builder's MOC's. But based on some of the stuff I've seen in the official LEGO thread, we're gonna get smoked!

And I'm ok with that.

I've built several licensed models this year. I'm curious to see how my imagination compares to the one I had 10-15 years ago.

Don't focus on the prizes or what not - the only way to lose is to not play! The fun is seeing the ideas and coming up with your own!

Well, how about that - went to half a dozen stores and this set is non-existent anymore it seems ... :(

I already have the set, but the pieces are all in my collection. I was going to buy a second set just so I dont have to fish the parts out, and the set is all gone around here as well. Maybe there are more GAFfers around than we realize. Or people realized that this set is pretty boss anyways.

But tomorrow I will just break down and fish the pieces out to start building.

mrkgoo

I already have the set, but the pieces are all in my collection. I was going to buy a second set just so I dont have to fish the parts out, and the set is all gone around here as well. Maybe there are more GAFfers around than we realize. Or people realized that this set is pretty boss anyways.

But tomorrow I will just break down and fish the pieces out to start building.

Yeah, I dunno what's up - maybe the release of all the 2014 sets pushed it out? A big department store here shows it out of stock in all stores, and calling around to major toy retailers, they're all out too.

It's still in the catalogue for 2014, so maybe it's just a current shortage.

At any rate, after a while of calling around I found one store that had 6 of them. I rushed out and picked one up! (it's a holiday today, so retailers are having 20% sales - whihc brings it closer to what you guys pay for it :p)

So what convinced me to get it is playing with the Lego Digital Designer and building the jet. The wing design fascinates me.

I read a review saying that it has pieces that you probably already have, but I don't have a huge collection, so that's not an issue.

I still don't love the set like many others, but, hey, I'll get extra value out of it for this contest.

mrkgoo

Three shops with big LEGO sections in my area & none of them had it either.

Going to check out Lasting Toys tomorrow-I'm sure they'll have it.

Good luck!

As a sort of side thing - do people (meaning hardcore lego guys) ever just do MOCs based on single sets?

happypup

Good luck!

As a sort of side thing - do people (meaning hardcore lego guys) ever just do MOCs based on single sets?

I am not hardcore or anything, but I rarely build the set I purchase. But I do play around with the parts for a while before sorting it into my collection.

I also go through the instructions and build sections I think are interesting.

mrkgoo

I am not hardcore or anything, but I rarely build the set I purchase. But I do play around with the parts for a while before sorting it into my collection.

I also go through the instructions and build sections I think are interesting.

Interesting. So sets fir you are largely for their parts, components or minifigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom