• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Money Magazine's Best Places to Live 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go, Carmel, Indiana. We need more roundabouts because 90 isn't cutting it. Not by a long shot.

xyOFxL2.jpg

AM9ZCaz.jpg

gQP9ZIP.jpg

gqDfU8Y.jpg

http://time.com/money/3312311/carmel-indiana-best-places-to-live/

1. McKinney, Texas
2. Maple Grove, Minn.
3. Carmel, Ind.
4. Castle Rock, Colo.
5. Kirkland, Wash.
6. Columbia & Ellicott City, Md.
7. Clarkstown, N.Y.
8. Ames, Iowa
9. Rochester Hills, Mich.
10. Reston, Va.
11. Eagan, Minn.
12. Woodbury, Minn.
13. Centennial, Colo.
14. Irvine, Calif.
15. Newton, Mass.

I live like 2 miles from Maple Grove, MN. It's one of the most poorly laid out cities ever. But it has every fucking store you could ever need. Eden Prairie is the better pick for that area, IMO.

I'm planning a move out to Colorado or Washington in about a year or two. Good to see some representation of their states on there.

Reston is a good balance of affordable and nice but there's nothing to do out there and it's far from DC/civilization. Is this list for old people?

I live in Mckinney TX and I don't see what's so great about it. How the hell can a suburb with no beach be #1. I'd take a coastal town with a great beach any day over this shit.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
I spent some time growing up just outside of Maple Grove. Everything there feels so fake and suburban. It has zero charm.

ezrarh

I live 20 minutes from Castle Rock, Colorado. It's hot garbage known mainly for housing an outlet mall. No.

This. Did they not know endless subdivisions and cul de sacs far way from work and retail are not the smart design decisions anymore. Castle Rock and Centennial are just badly designed towns meant for the car. Don't know what makes them so special to be on a list for "best places to live".

chris121580

Welp this should make a majority of the stuck up Carmel people even more stuck up. I had a chance to live there and chose Fishers....I definitely don't regret my decision.

I looked at the criteria/system they used and it seems to be, somehow, both rigged and artbitrary. They do things like make sure all regions are represented and limit it to 3 cities per state (so if let's say Colorado had like 6, they had to drop 3 because fairness) and then only exclude areas where the median home price is $1 million, which seems kind of insane when ranking things on affordability.

Interesting all the same that Minnesota got 3 in the top 15 when only 3 were allowed overall.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I moved out to Eagan to be right by my workplace 4 years ago (I didn't drive at the time), and I've been too lazy to move out.

It sucks.

Everyone sticks to themselves (I'm a loner and even I notice this), it's franchise hell for restaurants, and there's basically nothing to do except travel 5-10 miles into Burnsville, apple valley, or Bloomington, or 20 miles into Minneapolis/St Paul.

If you're going to live in the Twin Cities, live in one of the first ring suburbs west of Minneapolis (St Louis Park, Golden Valley, Minnetonka).

Superflat

Welcome to Irvine, the city that....

We have a college and a nightlife that rivals that of a morgue.

Yup. It's a nice place to retire or have a family I guess, but it is incredibly boring for a 20 or 30-something year old who want a vibrant city with lots of events. I do appreciate the greenery though, I often take it for granted.

We also have Blizzard, Ready at Dawn and Atlus USA, so that's kinda cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom