• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy to reduce anime inventory in 80% of stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp

My ex-girlfriend made me watch a shitload of anime, I'm glad Best Buy is not facilitating this crap any more. Anyway, I know all of you just download everything anyway.

Good actually.
I'm surprised that Best buy caters so much space to a niche product that could be used for something that actually sells on a larger scale.

Besides, if you're an anime freak, there's better places to go than Best Buy for your fix.

TheExodu5

Banned
The North American anime industry has been sentenced to death a long time ago anyways. If they want to keep trying to sell 4x 20 minute episodes for $30, they're welcome to try.

Ganondorfo

dr3upmushroom said:
That about corresponds to the percentage of anime that is shitty.

There is amazing anime

Cowboy bebop
Mushishi
Phantom memory kurua
Eureka seven
Guren lagann
Hajime no ippo
Noein
Fantastic children
Gankutsuou
Ghost in the shell stand alone complex
Texhnolyze
Monster
Infinite ryvius
Rahxephon
Gungrave
Rurouni kenshin ova
Most ghibli movies
Fullmetal alchemist
Hikaru no go
Hunter x hunter
Scryed
Outlaw star
Death note (the first half)
Last exile
Baccano
Paranoia agent
Neon genesis evangelion
Berserk

Okay maybe you can say you hate animes, you most there, but there is more to anime than naruto, bleach, dragonball, pokemon, digimon. Just try any of this series and you will change your opinion about that most of the animes are crappy.

It's like saying that movie sucks, just because you only watch the summer blockbusters of hollywood.

Link1110

Looks like all but one Best Buy on Long Island is having the clearance. Of course, the only movies that really sell here are Scarface and the Godfather Trilogy. :D

Snaku

Banned
Anybody have a list of what's on sale? The nearest BB to me that is doing the sale is a pretty good drive. Wanna know if it's worth it?

Makes perfect sense. Pedos prefer to stay indoors and not be seen in public. BB is just burning through money stocking that shit.

Diablos

jamesinclair said:
I dont get the Best Buy business plan. The big ticket items (MP3 players, Tvs) can be had for so much cheaper elsewhere. Meanwhile, their gaming,movie and music selection is good....but could easily be so much better. A CD case doesnt take that much space, why not give us more of it?

Every time someone goes to best buy and doesnt find the CD they want, theyre going to look online....and once theyre satisfied online theyre not coming back to best buy.

Ive always felt they should organize their store more like a barnes and nobles. Have a partial second floor and pack it with media. Their ceilings are high enough.
It's quite simple: Best Buy makes no margin whatsoever on CD's and DVD's. None. They want their associates to attach everything under the sun to all potential CD/DVD sales so they can make money. Otherwise, media as a department is in the red at the end of the day, and it drags the store down. If they added a whole other floor or huge section of CD's/DVD's, it would just be more money they aren't ever making back.

The company has essentially dug their own hole by driving every other major brick and mortar electronics store out of business. What they once prided themselves on to allow them to be the most successful electronics retailer is now biting them in the ass, because they're basically the only show left in town. They sold all kinds of stuff (computers, CD's, mp3 players, you name it) wayyy under cost to keep the customer in one of their many stores. That worked out for them for a while, but not anymore because there's zero competition. Customers have come to expect those prices every time they shop there (that's what keeps them coming back), so Best Buy can't really change that.

All they can hope to do now is attach their blatantly overpriced accessories and services to sales that otherwise would make them no margin, or actually cause them to LOSE margin (e.g. computers). I would have to say that their best bet now, outside of their bloated services that no one wants to pay for, is home theater (but given the state of the economy, :lol), which they CAN get away with marking up a little because it's new and interesting technology to a lot of people (unlike, say, laptops). They can also try to rely on misc. things like financing ($30 or so kickback for every credit card customers sign up for, but once again, economic woes), and car head unit installations (but that really can't carry the store). They also have their service plans, but that alone can't really keep them all too profitable, and half of them are a ripoff like every other sugar-coated thing they try to throw at you. They literally want the ideal sale to have the core product, a service plan, a geek squad service if possible, and complimentary accessories. If the customer can't afford it, you offer them financing, even if it's the most simplistic of purchases that really wouldn't justify the need to open a new account. :lol

Their view is more and more increasingly becoming "if we can't make money selling x, we probably should bail out and try something else, even if it pisses off our customers." This is why media is shrinking. Media sales associates are not really trained to sell, but they want them to once they (eventually) transition into what I was talking about earlier in this thread.

The sad thing is, Best Buy isn't even a commission-based company, and yet they act like it. In other words, they treat their employees like shit. They want you to feel special and a part of the process, but seriously, at the end of the day they'd rather have someone dumb and consistently willing to eat the company's lies and spit them back out at the customer, rather than have someone who is truly knowledgeable in a particular area of the store. The smarter you are, the harder it is to stay afloat. Terrible, terrible company.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Snaku said:
Anybody have a list of what's on sale? The nearest BB to me that is doing the sale is a pretty good drive. Wanna know if it's worth it?

The best buy web site should let you check locations. They have a really wide selection of anime. Some stores have bigger selections than others, but you can find just about any commercially available DVD that's been released in the past few years.

Hazaro said:
If they have Black Lagoon I might buy that.

How much was that?
1-12 right?

Yeah

Tamanon

Banned
evilromero said:
Makes perfect sense. Pedos prefer to stay indoors and not be seen in public. BB is just burning through money stocking that shit.

evilromero
Because you're a goddamned furry.
(Today, 03:22 PM)

Those in glass houses.....

And the Tim & Eric avatar is even worse!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I'm surprised people still buy anime. I thought the fansubs would kill the market.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
otake said:
I'm surprised people still buy anime. I thought the fansubs would kill the market.
1183323920049.jpg

aceface

Snaku said:

The store that I went to that was on that list in the OP had ALL ANIME 50% off. I picked up the Harhui complete collection, Gurren Lagaan set one (first 9 eps with English dub and extras), Deathnote box 1 (first 20 eps), Ouran Host Club box 1 (first 13 eps) and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence special edition (w/ soundtrack) for just under $100.

lordmrw

1490 Middletown RI

Come the fuck on! WHy not the one in Warwick? But then again, i don't know if i should be happy or sad about this. I've gotten alot of my anime from Best Buy, and since the one near me isn't reducing inventory, i should still be able to find the series i've had my eye on.

mjc

The nearest stores to me aren't listed, but there is one about 45 minutes away. I'll have to call them first to see if they even have what I would be buying.

B.K.

mjc said:
The nearest stores to me aren't listed, but there is one about 45 minutes away. I'll have to call them first to see if they even have what I would be buying.

The ones near you still might be part of the sale. ANN had a news article last week that said the list of stores was preliminary.

afternoon delight said:
Good. Maybe they'll bring back their once-awesome horror selection. Instead of shitty direct-to-dvd titles, we might get some good stuff back in.

Sounds like you got screwed dude. The two larger Best Buy stores around here expanded the DVD section to accommodate the additional genres / selection. Nothing really pushed anything out of the store.

However the one closest to me that they built last year is much smaller and has a much smaller movie section so everything is more refined.

Tempted to pick up Bleach box sets tomorrow. I know it's another dumb shonen series; but I <3 Tite Kubo's character designs. :(

mAcOdIn said:
Who is that anime aimed at? Eww.

I really wish anime could get rid of the scantily clad middle schoolers.

But that's what...

Aw, forget it. It's not worth it.

Enjoy your discounted anime, everybody.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
went to best buy to pick up 1600 microsoft points and those watchmen coupons and ended up buying $100 of animu :(

every few years i'll see a sale and do this -- i don't know, i guess anime got me through some boring moments of my life, and the vague hope persists that i can still kill time by watching epside after episode. it doesn't work anymore

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not a big deal. I get why. If you're a crazy anime guy; you're probably capable of legally locating what you need online. Probably illegally too, but let's not turn the discussion into that one.

JimmyV

Banned
hey if anyone is interested in picked up anime on BD, just go in, bring whatever you want to the register, and bitch about it not being 50% off. I just got Samurai for 35 because the sign said "All Anime" and didnt specify DVD or BD. I woulda picked p all the other anime on BD if I knew it would work :(

Tamanon said:
evilromero
Because you're a goddamned furry.
(Today, 03:22 PM)

Those in glass houses.....

And the Tim & Eric avatar is even worse!
This is the irony of my awesome tag- I abhor anything to do with anime. It's the most vile shit to ever be shat.

I only buy anime and dvd's online...

<3 amazon.com and rightstuf.com

Boxsets can be bought for cheap this days (via rightstuf.com). A lot of volumes can be bought for 5 dollars too instead of the 20 bucks a pop days(via rightstuf.com).

Fansubs are great and all... as I prefer to watch anime subbed and I don't have to wait for it to be licensed.... but official subs are vastly superior. It's like a whole different story.

JimmyV

Banned
half a moon said:
I only buy anime and dvd's online...

<3 amazon.com and rightstuf.com

Boxsets can be bought for cheap this days (via rightstuf.com). A lot of volumes can be bought for 5 dollars too instead of the 20 bucks a pop days(via rightstuf.com).

Fansubs are great and all... as I prefer to watch anime subbed and I don't have to wait for it to be licensed.... but official subs are vastly superior. It's like a whole different story.

AAWWW!!! I remember when I lived on RightStuf!!!!!!! I had the Got Anime membership and everythin! And couldnt wait to hear what their next big studio sale would be! I also lived in animeondvd.com(now mania.com/aodvb).

The Take Out Bandit said:
Grabbed Titsblade box set, FMA s1, and Phoenix for around $75!!!! <3

There's an anime called "Titsblade"?

Yeah, I have no idea why BB would reduce inventory in such quality entertainment.

Recon

Banned
jimmbow said:
hey if anyone is interested in picked up anime on BD, just go in, bring whatever you want to the register, and bitch about it not being 50% off. I just got Samurai for 35 because the sign said "All Anime" and didnt specify DVD or BD. I woulda picked p all the other anime on BD if I knew it would work :(

I tried that today with Afro Samurai Resurrection. The lady said it wasnt classified as Anime, it was under Blu ray... Anyways, i picked up Season 6 and season 7 of Dragon ball z. Will probably pick up Black Lagoon and Gantz later this week if they are still there.

JzeroT1437 said:
There's an anime called "Titsblade"?

Yeah, I have no idea why BB would reduce inventory in such quality entertainment.
To me.. it seems like any anime that isn't played on American TV requires internet research to know about it and or want to buy it. So, said computer savvy people probably find cheaper places online.

Well, anime seems to really suck these days. I stopped caring about it some time ago, and it seems as though others have done the same, so I'm not too surprised about this.

Not surprised that anime isn't selling.

Get rid of the fanservice, improve the quality of the shows (enough with this chessy Z-budget bullshit), go toward digital distribution, and localize shows far far faster and the genre should be fine.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Flying_Phoenix said:
Not surprised that anime isn't selling.

Get rid of the fanservice, improve the quality of the shows (enough with this chessy Z-budget bullshit), go toward digital distribution, and localize shows far far faster and the genre should be fine.
You're asking for two different things here from more than one party; distribution is a problem that exists wholly outside of it's Japanese origins; getting rid of fanservice and altering what gets animated is something Americans want, not something Japanese people want.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
the old store I used to be a media sup at was one of the top anime stores in the country. We had a whole half-row of it and did really well... I still remember when Advent Children came out... I ordered like 150 copies of it, most stores got 10-12... by 10:30 that morning every story in my district was calling. One manager had pledged like 20 of my copies to other stores before I called them back and said that offer only stood if I had copies at the end of the day.

The entire district, besides me, was sold out by 11am. I finally sold copy #150 around 7:15pm... and if I remember right, it was like a $23 DVD that actually had margin on it.

That was a fun day. Sad to see Best Buy drop anime, but I imagine most folks who love anime get it from Amazon or other online services

Angry Grimace said:
Getting rid of fanservice and altering what gets animated is something the typical viewer wants, not something the otakus want.

Fixed.

Angry Grimace said:
You're asking for two different things here from more than one party; distribution is a problem that exists wholly outside of it's Japanese origins

Evolve or die as I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom