• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP(?) Monster Monpiece aka let's add pointless fanservice to a good game for girls

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Monster Monpiece will be always remembered solely for the rubbing, in fact most of the marketing and the press was focused on that, making people think that the player passes most of the time looking at and rubbing lewd pictures... Well it's wrong.

Even if i was aware of the fanservice i played it with open mind and for the first hour or so this is more or less what the game shows:
monster-monpiece-5.jpg
zojgtz67saefi68jsq6c.jpg
monster-monpiece_2014_05-09-14_013_jpg_0x0_q85.jpg
monster-monpiece_2014_05-09-14_025_jpg_0x0_q85.jpg
monster-monpiece_2014_05-09-14_014_jpg_0x0_q85.jpg
1390325625-16_jpg_0x0_q85.jpg
1390325624-15_jpg_0x0_q85.jpg
monster-monpiece_2014_05-09-14_034_jpg_0x0_q85.jpg

and so on.

As you can see there are:
-cute colorful graphics with a delicate feminine style(very different from Senran Kagura style for example)
-girls of many kind all full dressed
-no fanservice at all

to all of this add that level 1 cards are not offensive at all(IIRC) and characters seems to be taken from Sailor Moon or similar anime(the fearful main character with potential, the intelligent scholar one, the confident one etc)

I dunno you but to me it looked like a game for girls(that can appeal to male gamers too like Atelier games and Sorcery Saga).

I already discussed this on the PSN thread and people said that Sailor Moon and Atelier games are appreciated by boys so they are not aimed to girls but imo this is wrong, i don't see why something aimed for girls if good and probably with some features(fights?) cannot be appreciated by boys(and vice-versa)

Anyway all was more or less good when at a certain point, after an hour i think, when 2 main characters open themselves, confiding each other fears and consequently strengthening their friendship here appearing a penis looking animal and the rub minigame!

I dunno you but it felt totally out of place! Not only that, but it felt completely AGAINST all the rest!

It feels like the game has 2 conflicting souls, a feminine and good one that's basically the whole game and the perverted one that is the rubbing minigame and the half naked cards, like if someone decided that the game as is was not appealing enough so decided to add fanservice.

My opinion of the game is that story and characters are simple and plain but the gameplay is good, too bad for the rubbing.

The rubbing is not something you do often or for long, add that "upgrading" cards is not always good, sometimes some stats go up but others go down, so you need to be cautious, especially if you have only one copy of a card, it's really sad that the entire game is being overshadowed by a stupid minigame you do rarely.

The gameplay flow is a sequence of event and map with waypoints, each one can have an enemy, a bonus(item, money, card, pack etc), nothing or a city(where usually there's a story event), and obviously fights.

Cards have a color(red, green, blue, yellow), a specie(bird, dragon, fairy etc) and a type(warrior, archer, healer, buffer), and some cards have abilities and effects.
If you summon consecutively cards of the same color there are various bonus, even big, two cards of the same specie can be fused, archer can shot at distance, buffers upgrade the attack of the forward card while the healer heal the forward card HP etc.
The game may not be Magic the Gathering but has its own depth and fun.

Imo it's a honest game that would have been received very differently without the rubbing minigame, it's currently on sale on the EU PSN, if fanservice is not a big problem for you think about it!

EDIT:

Just some little clarifications:

-the lewdness is entirely in the rubbing minigame and the level 2 and 3 card, it's totally absent elsewhere

-events, dialogues, character design etc are chaste and pure, i would say asexual, i'm not exaggerating! As you can see character designs are not sexualized or vulgar, events and dialogs are all about friendship and stopping the enemy, there's no love, sex, boys, ridiculous events or those almost omnipresent jokes about breast sizes(well at least until chapter 5)

-i don't know how to explain this, but characters are not waifu-able or at least that was not the purpose(= to appeal to boys) imo, i don't think that people would debate on who is the best waifu.

These are some of the reasons why i think that the whole game and the lewd minigame are two completely separate things that don't blend well at all.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I still don't understand your insistence that this is a game aimed at girls. Like are you just basing this on the visual style?

To me, all those female characters scream tropes from manga and anime aimed at males. Also, the publisher heavily promoted the fanservice aspect (also witnessed by the pseudo-sequel), so I do not know whether there is much room for interpretation here.

Seik

Banned
This thread won't end well, just the 'game for girls' in the title...

I get what you mean, OP, about the fanservice and everything, though the wording in the title may get you some backfire.

EDIT: Ugh....rubbing mini-game. :(

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I still don't understand your insistence that this is a game aimed at girls. Like are you just basing this on the visual style?

That's was the impression playing it for the first hour that is completely without fanservice(but even the rest if i ignore the rare fanservice).

I dunno you but:

-if i wanted to do a TCG for girls i would have done it more or less like Monster Monpiece(except the fanservice minigame obviously), no fanservice, delicate and cute art style, semi serious story and so on.

-if i wanted to do a lewd TCG i would have used a cast made of busty and half naked girls, ridiculous situations and naked girls every 2 minutes.

-if i wanted to do a TCG for males(or for everyone) i would have used a more "traditional" designs for cards and characters like Magic and Yugioh

The game was developed by Compile Heart and published by Idea Factory, which do not have a recent record track in "games for girls", but instead a huge record track in games for a male fanbase.

Imouto

Banned
-if i wanted to do a TCG for males(or for everyone) i would have used a more "traditional" designs for cards and characters like Magic and Yugioh

But that's wrong. Look at Sword Girls Online or Weiss Schwarz.

-if i wanted to do a lewd TCG i would have used a cast made of busty and half naked girls, ridiculous situations and naked girls every 2 minutes.

Also, this seems like a wrong impression when you think that is what attracts the male fanbase. Look at Kancolle. People aren't in it just for those lewd images.

cj_iwakura

The game was developed by Compile Heart and published by Idea Factory, which do not have a recent record track in "games for girls", but instead a huge record track in games for a male fanbase.

CH is just an IF alias, which they use to avoid the bad reputation they have.

cj_iwakura

How is it not for girls? I'm a girl and I thought what the OP showed looked intriguing.

I kind of agree, it has an Atelier vibe. They're primarily known for making otome games(and it's the only thing I think they're any good at), so it makes sense.

Imouto

Banned
How is it not for girls? I'm a girl and I thought what the OP showed looked intriguing.

But it really is not a girl's game. Clearly they didn't have female userbase in their mind when they were making this game. Doesn't mean girls can't enjoy it. I've known a good deal of girls my age that like fanservice.

I kind of agree, it has an Atelier vibe. They're primarily known for making otome games(and it's the only thing I think they're any good at), so it makes sense.

I'd have to disagree with you here, but different taste, I guess. Neptunia Rebirth is ranked highly in my list just for how fun it is alone.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Exactly what i was expecting, thanks :)

I don't think he's saying that a girl can't play this game or be interested in it. Just that the game's target audience isn't girls.
I don't think that many males here find those screens "intriguing".

---

I think that more girl opinions would help clarify if i'm wrong or not.

I can see how the game MIGHT have been originally pitched or conceived as fairly normal and then at some point, someone higher up the creative chain or marketing chain decided they should go full on fan service (although I doubt there were any pre-existing fans to service)

Actually not sure if this was a new IP or not

TheChaos0

I already discussed this on the PSN thread and people said that Sailor Moon and Atelier games are appreciated by boys so they are not aimed to girls but imo this is wrong, i don't see why something aimed for girls if good and probably with some features(fights?) cannot be appreciated by boys(and vice-versa)

That's interesting, Sailor Moon is a classic shoujo series through and through. The TV series certainly makes it (slightly) more appealing to both genders but it still remains a shoujo series.

With PS3 era Atelier games, they certainly started to cater more towards their female audience and sometimes I can't really tell who is this really aimed at.

Just because something can be enjoyed by both genders doesn't change the target demographics. There are plenty of shoujo and josei series that can be enjoyed by both.

From what I've heard of Monster Monpiece, is that it's a fanservice laden, Vita rubbing, half naked girls moaning game. Are you telling me it's not? Maybe I should check it out then. Maybe.

Imouto

Banned
That's interesting, Sailor Moon is a classic shoujo series through and through. The TV series certainly makes it (slightly) more appealing to both genders but it still remains a shoujo series.

The mahou shoujo genre doesn't aim at female fanbase anymore. It's already a genre of its own for the guys mostly. Heck, it's even has its own space on /m/.

I don't think that many males here find those screens "intriguing".

You mean people who hate anime games at the first sight?

Pretty sure a bunch of guys in Vita thread find this game "intriguing", and I always heard praise of the game not for the fanservice.

RpgN

From what I've heard of Monster Monpiece, is that it's a fanservice laden, Vita rubbing, half naked girls moaning game. Are you telling me it's not? Maybe I should check it out then. Maybe.

That's not what he's exactly saying. The fanservice is there but it feels tacked on and disproportionate to the rest of the game. The game itself seems to be decent and that it might have originally been a more neutral game without the rubbing and cards of half naked girls.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Pretty sure a bunch of guys in Vita thread find this game "intriguing", and I always heard praise of the game not for the fanservice.

In fact the gameplay is enjoyable so it deserves some praise, but i don't think that they were praising the character design.

If you want to upgrade your cards you have to do the minigame, but as i said you do it rarely, even because it usually make cards more expensive and at the beginning of the fight you need cheap cards.

Gamerloid

Not sure how this games is for girls. From the screens, it just shows typical character portraits. The art style being colorful doesn't make it for girls. That style is pretty universal. The people who they market this to likes that style, and it's not going to exile women. The people who don't care about the art style are those who don't even play these games.
You mean people who hate anime games at the first sight?

I didn't find this game intriguing at all. If you have to market half naked cartoon characters to sell this, then I question if the actual card game is good at all.

In the end I didn't bother even after hearing about the great gameplay. I find that the games with sexy fan service is always said to have great gameplay.

TheChaos0

That's not what he's exactly saying. The fanservice is there but it feels tacked on and disproportionate to the rest of the game. The game itself seems to be decent and that it might have originally been a more neutral game without the rubbing and cards of half naked girls.

Oh, I get what he is saying, my earlier impressions were just that bad. ;)

The mahou shoujo genre doesn't aim at female fanbase anymore. It's already a genre of its own for the guys mostly. Heck, it's even has its own space on /m/.

I almost finding it hard to believe but I wouldn't know what the modern mahou shoujo has become. I've only seen Madoka out of the recent ones and that's almost its own thing really and the last one before that was CCS.

RpgN

I was interested in it when I've seen gameplay videos of it before release and not noticing it having fanservice elements back then. I definitely understand where the op is coming from. It would have been a game to get for sure.

It became apparent that the game might still be worth playing and that the fanservice is tacked on rather than being the biggest focus. But I'm still planning on skipping it. I don't like having this in my games even if it ends up being a small part of the full package (unless it's easy enough to ignore). Publishers decided to market the game that way, they should live with the consequences knowing that it will attract and alienate an audience. It's difficult to have it both ways.

Edit:

TheChaos0 said:
Oh, I get what he is saying, my earlier impressions were just that bad. ;)

Oops, now I get you XD

Imouto

Banned
I almost finding it hard to believe but I wouldn't know what the modern mahou shoujo has become. I've only seen Madoka out of the recent ones and that's almost its own thing really and the last one before that was CCS.

It doesn't change much in the story telling, although in my opinion they have become better and better. You could just check out Nanoha or Precure to get the general idea of the recent (actually not, those are from 2002 or something) trend of Mahou Shoujo. Pretty good story with a bit of darker atmosphere, awesome designs and good action choreography.

In fact the gameplay is enjoyable so it deserves some praise, but i don't think that they were praising the character design.

Because the character design is pretty run-of-the-mill. I'm sure I've seen those kind of designs for more than 8 years, and it looks pretty close to those doujin games in Comiket. Now if you take a look at Atelier Shallie thread, I saw a lot of guys went nut over those design which is deemed "cute" by your standard.

I find it's strange when people assume cute characters mean less guys will bother with it compares to girl. That idea may be true in US since I'm not sure how the culture over there, but I found in Asia cute girls design attract more guys than girls, be it the games, social networks, book, anime, or anything.

I also hate the idea that fanservice will alienate girl userbases.

RpgN

Because the character design is pretty run-of-the-mill. I'm sure I've seen those kind of designs for more than 8 years, and it looks pretty close to those doujin games in Comiket. Now if you take a look at Atelier Shallie thread, I saw a lot of guys went nut over those design which is deemed "cute" by your standard.

I find it's strange when people assume cute characters mean less guys will bother with it compares to girl. That idea may be true in US since I'm not sure how the culture over there, but I found in Asia cute girls design attract more guys than girls, be it the games, social networks, book, anime, or anything.

I also hate the idea that fanservice will alienate girl userbases.

It sounds like you're taking what he's saying about the art style attracting girls too strongly.

And it sounds like you're in denial about the possibility of girls being alienated by fanservice.

Imouto

Banned
And it sounds like you're in denial about the possibility of girls being alienated by fanservice.
Sure. Whatever it is. I've talked to girl who like fanservice in games like Senran Kagura, and I firmly believe that there are girls who like fanservice.

If we are talking about "possibility" then aren't there guys who also are put off by fanservice? Isn't it the same for both then?

Shizuka

If you remove the fanservice, it's a great, solid card game. I loved it, played it until I got the platinum trophy, but the story just wasn't for me.

RpgN

Sure. Whatever it is. I've talked to girl who like fanservice in games like Senran Kagura, and I firmly believe that there are girls who like fanservice.

If we are talking about "possibility" then aren't there guys who also are put off by fanservice? Isn't it the same for both then?

Exactly.

There are girls who like fanservice as much as guys who are put off by fanservice. You can't generalize and say all genders are the same. However, it would be silly to suggest that those who feel that way are the same proportion of the opposite opinion. It certainly seems that guys who are in favour of sex appeal/fanservice/talking about it are the majority. I also believe there are more girls who dislike fanservice than the ones who are okay with it and like it. Otherwise there wouldn't be so much focus on those elements in male dominated media and community. Likewise there would be more girls participating in playing those type of games and not being put off (among other reasons). It has become clear that girls play games just fine when games are more inclusive in the way the are being presented.

But now this is getting too general and a bit off-topic :p

SerTapTap

I'm not sure if girls are into card games so much or not, but it definitely felt like the sort of game that could have had some moderate success if it had a motif more like Custom Robo or even just normal monsters. I don't personally mind fanservice in games, but it doesn't realy add much here, and good digital focused, non-F2P card games are precious and rare, and this one has a pretty fun and unique combat system that's not just energy "tap mana/lands/energy cards".

The story was painfully generic, though I don't think it would have mattered too much if it were more custom robo/pokemon like, it's easy to excuse stories in games like that. I had hoped it'd at least be humorous because the Neptunia games do that quite well, but nah they don't even really attempt that angle.

Actual gameplay is great, love the strategy and different ways to go about things, though most "skills" are excessively situational and it's a bit annoying to power up rare cards with no idea what the level 2/3 card will do. A better card encyclopedia would be nice. AI could have been better, but hell, it's a card game, the AI difficulty is usually just "they have better cards than you". I really like now the battlefield works out and makes it more complicated than 1v1.

Also, I agree most of the level 1 cards are actually pretty cool and for the most part fairly tasteful. Sort of a shame to use the level 2/3 versions of many of the cards for that reason. Also, the artist has a really bad time making the thicker girls--anyone outside of the "average" figure ended up either being a loli or being a thick girl with a REALLY weird physique (see Jack Frost, the weird Bee thing).

Rubbing...really...isn't very sexy, frankly. I also find it very annoying there's a microtransaction item to skip it, that's a very good sign that a part of your game should be removed. The MTs really don't feel necessary at all and I don't think the game is signifcantly harmed by them, but god damn it I would really like to play a digital card game with absolutely NO microtransactions, single upfront cost for a good game, just like Pokemon TGC on the gameboy (they can take card pop and shove it up their ass though).

PSN's in my profile if you want to play I guess. Don't expect me to ask first though

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I get where the OP is coming from, especially with regards to the Atelier comparison. The problem is that, while that particular style of characterization and character design can be appealing to young girls, its also very definitely appealing to another segment of the market that...also enjoys the fanservice.

Honestly, even before the fanservice, I have to say that from the trailers I found the very idea that these are "monster girls" that have to be captured and trained to be rather offputting. When you combine their designs, the eventual fanservice you know is coming, and that specific way of framing it, it came off as, well, literally objectifying. Girls to be collected.

A shame, because I would love a new card battle strategy game

akira28

If it was fan-service for girls, wouldn't it include girls pinching cute guys on the butt, and also man on man kissing?

First: I don't know about you.

Second: Do you mean that the fanservice is out of place or that the art style is out of place? It's Compile Heart. We all know what type of game they meant to make. And almost every fanservice game I've played had gameplay that would have been perfectly serviceable without the fanservice. So I'm not sure I get your point.

Die Hard could have been a perfectly good chick flick about a guy trying to win his wife back and rejoin his family--if only those idiots hadn't chosen to put in terrorists twenty minutes in! Why even bother with "what if" scenarios like this?

You said yourself the fanservice rubbing games start one hour in. It takes 2-3 hours before you get a Persona in Persona 4. It's still a Persona game.

SerTapTap

I get where the OP is coming from, especially with regards to the Atelier comparison. The problem is that, while that particular style of characterization and character design can be appealing to young girls, its also very definitely appealing to another segment of the market that...also enjoys the fanservice.

Honestly, even before the fanservice, I have to say that from the trailers I found the very idea that these are "monster girls" that have to be captured and trained to be rather offputting. When you combine their designs, the eventual fanservice you know is coming, and that specific way of framing it, it came off as, well, literally objectifying. Girls to be collected.

A shame, because I would love a new card battle strategy game

In-game it REALLY feels no different from Pokemon, actually less so, RE "capture and trained", even in the completely ignorable story there's almost nothing about "capturing" anyone. In fact cards are literally purchased in packs, and you even tear open the foil with the touch screen. Of all the reasons to object to the game I find that quite poor.

You said yourself the fanservice rubbing games start one hour in. It takes 2-3 hours before you get a Persona in Persona 4. It's still a Persona game.

Well, the rubbing is just an extremely basic 1 minute or less minigame to power up cards. It's nothing remotely to getting personas in Persona, it's a one-off in the story, not necessary to win (though not doing so limits card variety) and I doubt even people who bought the game for fanservice consider it a particularly satisfying minigame.

Yasumi

Banned
Well, the rubbing is just an extremely basic 1 minute or less minigame to power up cards. It's nothing remotely to getting personas in Persona, it's a one-off in the story, not necessary to win (though not doing so limits card variety) and I doubt even people who bought the game for fanservice consider it a particularly satisfying minigame.
The best part of the minigame is honestly the music. After successfully rubbing the card, it really gives a good sense of "Hot damn, you just got a new card, this is some exciting stuff!"

HGH

Banned
Actually, I've heard and seen a lot of female fans of Compile Heart games and similarly dismissed "fanservice games" (Gust games, NIS games, etc...) online. The reasoning behind it seems to usually be "the characters are cute", "the humour's funny", or "the girls aren't fawning all over guys".

Honestly, I think if these games/companies marketed it more towards those aspects rather than the fanservice that's usually all over ads, they'd get a wider, more reliable audience.

Heck the fanservice itself is usually limited to a couple sparsely sprinkled CGs and trailers. I think people have an entirely wrong impression of Gust because of this.

androvsky

One of Idea Factory's main product lines is visual novels aimed at women. It doesn't get as much attention here because it's not very controversial, and they generally don't get localized. Sweet Fuse and the various Hakuoki games are just the ones that have been localized, and my understanding is there's a bunch more unlocalized.

It's actually entirely possible the game was originally aimed at girls, but was changed during development. It appears to have happened with the Great Edo Blacksmith and NIS, since it appears to be Chronos Materia renamed with extra touching stuff added. One could almost wonder if there's someone at SCEJA encouraging developers to perv up their Vita games.

SerTapTap

The best part of the minigame is honestly the music. After successfully rubbing the card, it really gives a good sense of "Hot damn, you just got a new card, this is some exciting stuff!"

The game has pretty good music in some parts, mostly battle music. I was trying to find an OST online but no luck.

Actually, I've heard and seen a lot of female fans of Compile Heart games and similarly dismissed "fanservice games" (Gust games, NIS games, etc...) online. The reasoning behind it seems to usually be "the characters are cute", "the humour's funny", or "the girls aren't fawning all over guys".

This might be a good point. I'd fucking hate Neptunia if all the characters acted like animu "KYAAAAAAA MALE CHARACTER SAMAAAA". Hell, the love stories in JRPGs are already bad enough. I love FFX but Yuna and Tidus make me want to puke.

And yeah I don't think most people have a particularly accurate impression of compile heart. I have a couple female friends who love it because "cute anime girls" I guess. Most people's impressions of Neptunia's "fanservice" is the one or two actual fanservice CGs that actually make it in a ~20-30 hour game, most "fanservice" in the game is meta/parody of video game and anime things.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
In-game it REALLY feels no different from Pokemon, actually less so, RE "capture and trained", even in the completely ignorable story there's almost nothing about "capturing" anyone. In fact cards are literally purchased in packs, and you even tear open the foil with the touch screen. Of all the reasons to object to the game I find that quite poor.

Its still "collecting" girls.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

-the lewdness is entirely in the rubbing minigame and the level 2 and 3 card, it's totally absent elsewhere

-events, dialogues, character design etc are chaste and pure, i would say asexual, i'm not exaggerating! As you can see character designs are not sexualized or vulgar, events and dialogs are all about friendship and stopping the enemy, there's no love, sex, boys, ridiculous events or those almost omnipresent jokes about breast sizes(well at least until chapter 5)

-i don't know how to explain this, but characters are not waifu-able or at least that was not the purpose(= to appeal to boys) imo, i don't think that people would debate on who is the best waifu.

These are some of the reasons why i think that the whole game and the lewd minigame are two completely separate things that don't blend well at all.

Ryuukan

chaste and pure

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
chaste and pure

And?
In that scene they are in a very cold region, May(the blond girl) feel cold so Fia(the beast girl) use her tail to warm her, then Mya says how warm is her tail, there's nothing lewd about it, especially because it ends there.

Josephl64

I enjoyed the game, but I did find it weird sometimes that a higher level card wasn't always worth it...then again I'm not much of a card game player so I don't know what the norm is.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I enjoyed the game, but I did find it weird sometimes that a higher level card wasn't always worth it...then again I'm not much of a card game player so I don't know what the norm is.

Yeah it's really weird, a good card became bad because of a higher range :\ maybe i'm wrong but one time an upgrade did absolute nothing! :O
But i sort of like it, one time the card didn't change at all.. except for the cheaper cost!
The effect of an upgrade is really unpredictable, even if sometimes the result pisses me i would say it's a good feature.

Anyway that's another reason why rubbing is rare, rubbing everything could be highly counterproductive.

SerTapTap

Yeah it's really weird, a good card became bad because of a higher range :\ maybe i'm wrong but one time an upgrade did absolute nothing! :O
But i sort of like it, one time the card didn't change at all.. except for the cheaper cost!
The effect of an upgrade is really unpredictable, even if sometimes the result pisses me i would say it's a good feature.

Anyway that's another reason why rubbing is rare, rubbing everything could be highly counterproductive.

It's not entirely intuitive--not all level ups increase or even affect attack/health. Think of it more as getting more cards than of "upgrading" them, really. Some cards get effects like reduced attack/health, but reduced mana costs so you can use them earlier, increased range but worse other stats, new skills, effects like the stationary status, all of that in addition to the attack/health buff you're probably expecting.

Annoyingly, there's no what to know what you'll get ingame without just doing it, so I imagine quite a lot of players leveled up the "wrong" card and got entirely the wrong impression of what it does.

Top Bottom