• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: new in-store mehanic for digital software distro. in Europe

L~A

Nope, not the web eShop : /

Nintendo has unveiled details of a more convenient mechanic for selling downloadable versions of Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games at retail across the UK, Ireland and Germany, with further European countries following in the future.

The new distribution platform allows European retailers the opportunity to sell a range of Nintendo digital codes via a tablet-based solution. In turn, customers will be able to visit participating stores to conveniently purchase redemption codes for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS software, including download exclusive titles and add-on content, using this new purchase mechanic. In-store, once a customer has chosen a game to purchase, the retailer will use the tablet-based service to issue and print out a unique code that will allow the purchaser to download the specific content to their Wii U or Nintendo 3DS device via Nintendo eShop.

The new distribution platform is already available at LEGOLAND Germany in Günzburg, Germany, and also recently launched in the UK - on 17th September - at the Reading branch of Smyths Toys Superstore.

Source : Nintendo PR.

Piccoro

That's cool.
We can pay for digital content with physical money, then. Or any other payment option.
Not everybody has credit cards, so it's a good thing

James Coote

Neo Member
I suspect most Wii U customers don't hang around on Nintendo forums or browse the eShop for the latest games, but instead find out about what games are for the system by seeing what disk boxes are in the shop.

So, if this leads to more Wii U games, by way of those plastic voucher cards, having a presence in shops, then it could be one way to boost sales for the mostly-indie devs on the eShop, and also make the Wii U's collection of games look a bit more substantial in-store (since at the moment, there are so few Wii U games in boxes on shelves, that a lot of retail stores relegate them to an obscure corner of the store, or simply give them one sparsely populated set of shelves, versus a whole wall of green X1 or blue PS4).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Good. Now, bring it to other European countries (like...Italy!).
Also, the next step is to find a way to redeem those codes istantly at the shop, so the download can start right there and not just when you're back home and you insert the eShop code into the eShop. Something like what happens when you buy anything on SOE's online store.

...Oh, right, the eShop web app!!!1111!!!!!

Rich!

fine by me

everyone who buys digital should know that the digital versions are cheapest via outlets such as game.co.uk and not from the eshop directly. For example, Hyrule Warriors is £31 at GAME.co.uk for the eshop version, and on a "deal" for £36.99 directly from the eshop.

Robin64

I'm confused and not sure how this is different to now, where I can already walk into GAME and buy a digital game for redemption on the eShop with real world cash.

I'm confused and not sure how this is different to now, where I can already walk into GAME and buy a digital game for redemption on the eShop with real world cash.

I assume because those are limited stock physical cards. This is a process which can print codes so there is no issues with stock or shelf space.

Rich!

What country are you in? The OP states that it is only in one store in the UK and only since Sep17th

what?

I'm in the UK and GAME have been selling digital codes for the eshop at least the last year and a half. I bought Link Between Worlds from them at launch as a eshop code! They sell them in store too!

They've done them as on-demand printing before too.

KHlover

Banned
omg, why do they have a Legoland in Germany when Denmark is next door?!

lol next door. From Günzburg (Legoland Germany) to the Legoland in Denmark is a 1000km drive. Also, this way you can just drive to the Legoland that is closer AND the Legoland in Germany obviously doesn't require you to know English

what?

I'm in the UK and GAME have been selling digital codes for the eshop at least the last year and a half. I bought Link Between Worlds from them at launch as a eshop code! They sell them in store too!

They've done them as on-demand printing before too.
Yeah, I don't understand what's new about this.

GAME have been doing this for ages: I thought it had been like this since launch. The prices for the digital games make it not worth it though.

This is about a new way of using some fancy tablet to select and preview the games, and then purchase and print a code. Different from the cards with digital codes you can buy now. I think.

Mpl90

I suppose the difference here is the introduction of the tablet-based solution, not the fact of selling codes by itself.

Would like to see this in action, possibly.

Robin64

Presumably they'll do what everyone else does and have some empty boxes to put on the shelf, which you'll take to the counter if you want to buy.

But if this is about saving shelf space, then they already have the digital cards on the shelves which are less space than boxes.

Mpl90

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what we're talking about, right?

GBM_CardSwipe.jpg

What country are you in? The OP states that it is only in one store in the UK and only since Sep17th

Yes, I'm in the UK. But multiple stores have been doing it since last year, not just the one like Nintendo is saying.

Exactly what I'm thinking, I'm confused myself by this.

But if this is about saving shelf space, then they already have the digital cards on the shelves which are less space than boxes.

I don't think it is about saving shelf space, as they're already at the sweet-spot between visibility and fitting as much stuff into a particular space with DVD-sized cases. This is about guaranteeing a wide range of games be available and visible to customers who go into a shop. Retailers are, understandably, very cautious about buying packaged game codes up-front, so the selection is currently very slim and frequently out of stock (or more likely, non-existent).

L~A

This system is different than the one available at GAME and some retailers.

This one involves that Nintablet, which is used to access some sort of web eShop, from where you can purchase pretty much anything on the eShop (pretty sure GAME doesn't have everything available at the moment). It doesn't involve any card that needs to be activated at the POS. Of course, it's the retailer using the tablet, not you :p

This is just another method to get digital games at retailers. Seems like an evolution of what they already have, rather than something brand new. I guess it's much more convenient for them as they don't have to print any cards, they just have to send the table device to the retailers.

So assuming this has the complete eShop (that would be the new part).

It begs these questions, why can't the Nintendo Store or GAME issue games on demand out of the entire eShop? (rather than being limited to a small selection that physical cards exist for) Why can't consumers do the same (for gifting purposes).

Retailers are, understandably, very cautious about buying packaged game codes up-front, so the selection is currently very slim and frequently out of stock (or more likely, non-existent).
I thought retailers only had to pay for them once they are purchased.

Mpl90

Since the PR talks about digital only titles and add-on content, I suppose it's more than what available at GAME currently.

RiggyRob

Neat, I had this problem once where I could've bought a download code for something like Mario & Luigi Dream Team Bros. for £15 since it was offered as a GAME deal, but they didn't have any of the physical eShop cards left when I went. That's nice.

Surely this should mean the web based eShop isn't far off?

Edit: Ah, it'll sell digital only titles too? Cool, more visibility for Pullblox/Fallblox/Nintendo Pocket Football Club/Dillon etc etc.

Peltz

Sounds like Ubisoft-styled store-exclusive preorder bonus bullshit to me. I hope this doesn't come stateside.

Renzoku

Banned
L~A, is your homepage bookmarked to Nintendo's press site or something?

Lighting quick with these news posts :O

atbigelow

Seriously, where the hell is the web front-end for the eShop? Really getting tired of this. Google Play/Android Market has had me spoiled for years.

Top Bottom