• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox PR says Pillars Of Eternity is delayed to 2015

hemtae

Courtesy of Sensuki in the beta thread:

Paradox said:
Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive announced today that the highly anticipated fantasy role-playing game Pillars of Eternity, originally scheduled for release in late 2014, has been delayed until early 2015.

Feedback through the beta process from those who backed Pillars of Eternity on Kickstarter has been extremely helpful. The development team are listening to the feedback and are incorporating changes to ensure fans absolutely get the best game possible. This short delay will allow Obsidian to produce the quality of game that they can be rightly proud of.

"Since the very beginning of this project we promised our fans and ourselves that we would release this game only when we knew it would be absolutely ready for the best experience possible. We're very close to that point, but not quite there yet. The feedback we have received through our playtest process has been invaluable to us. We are coming into the home stretch but are pushing the release out just a bit to make sure we honor that promise we made originally. Thanks for your patience and support, it will be worth the wait." – Feargus Urquhart, CEO Obsidian.

Both Obsidian and Paradox are aware of the anticipation the thousands of people who donated to the Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter campaign have, many of whom have been clamoring for a game in the style of classic role-playing games for years. And, rest assured, no one is more anxious for the completion and release of this game than we are. However, we are excited to get the extra time to incorporate the feedback and add additional polish.

Your enthusiasm and support has been energizing for everyone and we're just as excited as you are for this game to come out and kick this new renaissance of classic style CRPG's into high gear!

Pillars of Eternity forums - http://forums.obsidian.net/forum/87-...s-of-eternity/
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?1996-Pillars-of-Eternity-Delayed&

I think everyone - from fans to journalists - was expecting this delay.

Hopefully this extra time gives Pillars the polish it deserves.

Kinthalis

Banned
Yep. This needed to happen.

And it's a good thing. The game will be the better for it.

Looking forward to it still!! Hopefully it will be around my B-Day, February or March.

Patryn

I think, like most people, I had always just assumed it was a 2015 title. I seriously didn't realize it was targeting 2014.

Ridesh

Banned
January would be perfect.

November: DA: Inquisition
December: GTA V PS4
January: Pillars of Eternity
February - March = Bloodborne and The Witcher 3

Frankly I'm happy that beta feedback is delaying the game. A beta seems more important for a game like this in terms of mechanics. Still waiting on a mac beta though.

Man, I'm all for it because it will be better than waiting on patches to fix things that hurt your first impressions of what are very long gameplay experiences. I wish WL2 would have spent a few more months in the oven, working out UI and other issues, too.

lazygecko

Spacing out the release makes more sense anyway since I imagine much of the audience is currently getting knee-deep into Wasteland 2.

Orayn

Paradox? I thought this was crowd-funded?

It is, Paradox is just their partner for retail copies in some markets. It makes sense that they would know about delays before anyone else since they're the ones who have to worry about making and shipping physical objects.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Obsidian can take as much time as they need to get POE polished and ready. I wish they had been given the same freedom with New Vegas (which is a great game regardless).

Mrbob

As a backer I'm not mad and expected this to happen. It's fine as long as the delay helps make the final product better.

komplanen

Not a backer so I didn't play the beta but it sure looked like it could use a bit of extra work. So many people kept saying they were surprised by how good Divinity was and how bland PoE seemed in comparison.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Delay it for as long as they need to make sure the game is complete and as bug free as possible. I can wait.

Sillverrr

Would rather wait than have an extremely buggy product. As it is I haven't started Wasteland 2, because bugs.

The end of this year is stacked besides; I honestly think next January would be a good window for them (if that's unrealistic they might want to skip February though - yikes - and aim for March).

Hell, take as long as you want. I'll be playing Dragon Age: Inquisition at the end of November, and it will be interesting to compare the new-school RPG with the old. I already have a sneaking suspicion which I'll prefer (hint: Baldur's Gate>Mass Effect).

Arulan

As I said in the beta thread this is great news. While I don't share quite as pessimistic thoughts as some, it felt like like they still had a lot to get done if this was going to live up to our expectations. A release date in December was pushing it.

Teremap

Banned
1370557003753.gif

...Nah, just kidding. Take yer time, Obsidian. I know it will be worth the wait.

wrowa

This is the kind of game people have been waiting for for a decade. You better not rush this and take your time to make it truly shine.

Erevador

No one has made more "could have been great with a few more months" releases than Obsidian has. Take your time. Finish the game.

Remember KOTOR 2?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
No one has made more "could have been great with a few more months" releases than Obsidian has. Take your time. Finish the game.

Remember KOTOR 2?

Remember that particular game was no where near Obsidian's fault for the rush job?

Top Bottom