• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox PR says Pillars Of Eternity is delayed to 2015

Sendero

The game clearly needs some extra cooking time. Plus, with the upcoming months being so crowded, it would not have received the desired attention anyway.

I will be quite busy on the next months, so I cherish this news.

Sothpaw

Good. I want them to take as long as they possibly need. Also, it's not exactly like 2014 is lacking in crpgs.

senahorse

tumblr_l5se1iTR0T1qz4w1go1_500.jpg

Having recently finished Divinity and now playing through Wasteland 2, this is a good thing :). Looks like next year's cRPGs will be Torment and Pillars of Eternity.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Good. I was honing they would. No need to rush it into this crazy 2014. Release when ready, though I wouldn't mind mid January. If not, then wait till after The Witcher. Make it shine.

If they want the best chance of the game ultimately standing the test of time, they most certainly need to take their time in this key formative period for it.

Especially since they are running their own system as opposed to just dialing in/taking a hammer and saw to something off the shelf as per the elder D&D based games.

dmr87

So many games coming out so I'm ok with this. This is going to be a time consuming and meaty game, it deserves some extra polish. March-April or later is fine with me cause February is fucking insane.

Sentenza

Despise their insistence that they were probably going to make it for 2014, this has to be one of the most unsurprising delays in recent history.

Labadal

Despise their insistence that they were probably going to make it for 2014, this has to be one of the most unsurprising delays in recent history.

They probably wanted the game released so they could publicly launch their next KS project, but an unpolished Pillars of Eternity release would hurt said KS project.

zkylon

zkylewd
that's ok it's more time to beat wasteland

now if torment could be pushed to late 2015 that'd be super

Altazor

as I said in the beta thread, I knew this would happen but I'm not angry about it. I'm actually relieved, as I'm sure the added time will benefit the game. It was the right decision.

Sentenza

They probably wanted the game released so they could publicly launch their next KS project, but an unpolished Pillars of Eternity release would hurt said KS project.
Well, in this case I think they really thought they were going to make it, but they were forced to reconsider when some of the most glaring flaws in their skill system were highlighted by users feedback during the beta.

Anyway, I said "one of the most unsurprising" because we all saw it coming. You'd have just to check the threads where it was mentioned to have a proof.
Every single comment about a 2014 release was typically met with skepticism. And with good reason, in retrospective.

Cornbread78

Delayed to polish it up and launch with that PS4 version in late spring, good call. Thank you Unity..

Really though, would anyone be surprised?

Gattsu25

Banned
It's not done until Obsidian says its done, so I'm perfectly fine with them wanting to put some more time into the game to perfect it before release.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ah ok

still says dec 2014 in the rewards thing in the ks page

Err, you can't change anything in the Rewards section after you start a KS. They were clear from the beginning that Torment would kick up into high gear after WL2 launched, so no one expects it before end of 2015 / 2016.

Labadal

Well, in this case I think they really thought they were going to make it, but they were forced to reconsider when some of the most glaring flaws in their skill system were highlighted by users feedback during the beta.

Anyway, I said "one of the most unsurprising" because we all saw it coming. You'd have just to check the threads where it was mentioned to have a proof.
Every single comment about a 2014 release was typically met with skepticism. And with good reason, in retrospective.

Branson Adler was posting on the official forum and he said that he really think that they would have made it but it would have been a buggy release.

Almighty

Took long enough. At first I assumed a delay was guaranteed, but Obsidian was sticking to their guns for so long I started to believe that 2014 was possible. I assume the beta showed them they they still had plenty of work to do. Which is good that is what betas are for and the more time they have to polish the game the better.

SeanTSC

They can take all the time they need. I've got plenty of stuff to play and I want to savor the best possible CRPG that they can make.

Wedge7

I actually did a "Nice!" outloud, as a game like this will benefit alot from more time. I have alot of faith in the team, but the one thing I worried about was bugs and them trying to rush it out in a somewhat incomplete state. Hopefully this helps out.

zkylon

zkylewd
Err, you can't change anything in the Rewards section after you start a KS. They were clear from the beginning that Torment would kick up into high gear after WL2 launched, so no one expects it before end of 2015 / 2016.

i don't get why they put bullshit dates then :/

Patryn

Honestly, out of all the buggy Obsidian games you could go to, you went to the one that was not their fault?

I probably sound like a Obsidian apologist, but most of their game states are arguably not their fault.

KOTOR 2 was rushed by LucasArts.

For New Vegas, they both had a deadline imposed by Bethesda and Bethesda was supposed to handle the QA, as I understand things.

Alpha Protocol had a six-month delay, but Sega refused to let Obsidian keep working on it and instead stuck it on a shelf.

Pretty much the only glaring problem that I think is mostly Obsidian was Neverwinter Nights 2, which was an unoptimized mess at launch.

yea but why bullshit about it

why not say 2016

It wasn't bullshit. It's an estimate based on the work it takes to meet the minimum funded product. If there are stretch goals to enhance and enlarge the scope of the project that are met, then obviously the date must be pushed back to account for it.

O.DOGG

I'm perfecty fine with this. I want Obsidian to make Pillars the best game it can be. There are way too many games to play this holiday season anyway.

Eusis

Yeah sure whatever, it was already pretty much a set thing that 2015 took most of 2014's most promising games anyway, and I'd rather something like this get ironed out via beta feedback then just run away from CoD or whatever.

Top Bottom