• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 update free for non genuine version of 7/8, Will this affect steam OS ?

Guess this is microsofts of recapturing the market after the messy windows 8 launch

Really makes me wonder what there underlying plan is here, hope the App Store isn't too heavily integrated

Seems too good to be true!

ricki42

I would be a little surprised if they expect SteamOS to have an average cost per unit less than Windows licenses. Windows is fairly cheap for OEMs.

SteamOS is free, so there's no cost per unit. Unless you mean that PCs being sold with SteamOS won't be much cheaper than PCs sold with Windows.

prag16

Banned
Everybody. In the first year you get a lifetime license to Windows 10. After that it's a set price like every other windows release.
This definitely includes our own unique key, and we can create an iso or install disc that we can use years down the road? Just thinking about the future, for reformatting, new hardware, etc..

Want to make sure it's not a, "Oh you need to reformat after the year is up? Sorry now you have to pay."

Nzyme32

Terry Myerson wrote this in a blog about the free announcement

That isn't really relevant to the point I was making. The blog post is from January and not referencing pirates. What I posted is what Myerson had said in response to this new news on pirates getting a copy of Windows 10. The suggesting that I think I see in that quote is that they want to push pirates who get Windows 10 to actually get the licence eventually. So I took the guess that maybe they would have a limited version of Windows 10 after the year, or would have some feature restrictions.

You mean like an SSD partition that you always keep the OS on? Someone else posted a similar experience to what I had, which is that changing the mobo will deactivate Windows, and that may be what they decide is the lifetime of the device for a PC. But obviously, as is often the case, you may be just had a fault or something, so they may just do what they do now, which is ask questions over the phone about it - but that system is easily gamed. Total speculation though on my part, they haven't clarified the info about Windows 10

RedSwirl

Replacing Windows was never the point of SteamOS. Valve most certainly knows it's not going to draw away existing Windows gamers any time soon.

People here have already explained that SteamOS is actually an insurance policy in case Microsoft actually decides to one day make Windows as closed as iOS or Xbox, which would theoretically piss off the entire PC gamer and developer community. Another reason however is so that when Valve releases Steam Machines, manufacturers won't be forced to pay Microsoft to license Windows on the devices. Manufacturers can of course choose to do so independently, but SteamOS is an option if they don't. Furthermore, SteamOS has already increased the rate at which PC games get Linux versions, with high-profile games like Arkham Knight and The Witcher 3 having planned Linux versions.

Most importantly, SteamOS was never expected to explode out of the gate and immediately pose a threat to Windows. Valve probably expects it to become steadily more robust over the next five or so years. The same goes for Steam Machines, but we're probably gonna see people proclaim their failure when they don't sell bajillions of units in the first six months.

Omadahl

Banned
I don't think so, it was dead anyway.

126920-Simpsons-stop-stop-hes-already-7Shi.jpeg

Nzyme32

Most importantly, SteamOS was never expected to explode out of the gate and immediately pose a threat to Windows. Valve probably expects it to become steadily more robust over the next five or so years. The same goes for Steam Machines, but we're probably gonna see people proclaim their failure when they don't sell bajillions of units in the first six months.

That's pretty much what they have said about the Machine's and OS previously:

IGN - How Valve Engineered the Perfect Controller said:
“The focus of most of this work has really been on bringing value to Steam customers,” he said. “Even if we’re only serving a fraction of them, we feel like we’ll be very successful if that fraction is having a great experience in the living room. That number will probably grow over time. We’re not even trying to push our existing users toward the living room or the TV if they don’t want to have that experience. All those customers are currently pretty happy doing what they’re doing in the den with their PCs or laptops. This is just an extra avenue for them, if they want to sit on the sofa like a lot of them do, I think. Then it’s great to have this other option through which you can access Steam. It’s not an attempt to go very far, or really at all at first, beyond our initiated customer base. We’re going to learn a bunch from the people who already value Steam really highly. We don’t feel like we have to jump exponentially outside that group just to be successful in that realm.”

“Usually, when a platform like this gets brought out, it’s a very different working method and proposition to customers,” he continued. “It looks more like a team that’s much larger than us has worked at perfecting something and finishing it, and then reducing risk as much possible and locking down that design, making it ready for a massive initial manufacturing push, spending billions of dollars on marketing. Very different from what we’re trying to do. We don’t have to be so risk-averse. We intentionally are operating this way because we think it will result in a much better product, in the short term and the long term, to be public about this, and to have it iterated with us and with partners and with users. But it lets us start small and grow over time.

Tying the license key to the lifetime of the "device" is devious...and brilliant.

People (gamers especially) upgrade their PC's core hardware (CPUs, Mobos) a lot more often than they would go buy the latest Windows OS.

Damn, MS is freaking brilliant. I actually hate it, but at the same time, it's a brilliant business model.

Need a new PC mobo to run that new DDR4 RAM or that new CPU or PCI express 4.0 or USB 4, etc...then you need to buy a new Windows license too.

No wonder the first 'gen' of Windows 10 adoptions is free.

Windows as a Service... f'ing brilliant.

Diabolical even.. . But brilliant.

OmegaDL50

Tying the license key to the lifetime of the "device" is devious...and brilliant.

People (gamers especially) upgrade their PC's core hardware (CPUs, Mobos) a lot more often than they would go buy the latest Windows OS.

Damn, MS is freaking brilliant. I actually hate it, but at the same time, it's a brilliant business model.

Need a new PC mobo to run that new DDR4 RAM or that new CPU or PCI express 4.0 or USB 4, etc...then you need to buy a new Windows license too.

This isn't anything different then what they have been doing for already Windows 7 and 8.

As I said in my previous post I had issues with my Windows 7 key in that it deactivated after I did a PC refresh with some components. (A Mobo and CPU replacement)

Microsoft's definition of "Life of the device" according to the rep I spoke with over the phone to get my license sorted out is tied to the motherboard, which is makes sense being the CPU / Mobo being essentially the heart of the computer. For all intents and purposes Windows keys being tied to the Mobo / CPU for the life of the computer seems fair.

For them to follow this trend is nothing new and simply following the trend they established back since Windows 7.

Most likely just like Windows 7 (and probably 8 as well) you will be able to pretty much upgrade and change components and upgrade your computer as usual for Windows 10, However once you replace the motherboard and cpu. By Microsofts own definition it is no longer the same "computer" but an entirely new one, since based on my experience they tie keys to the motherboard / cpu, rather than the computer as a whole.

This isn't anything different then what they have been doing for already Windows 7 and 8.

As I said in my previous post I had issues with my Windows 7 key in that it deactivated after I did a PC refresh with some components. (A Mobo and CPU replacement)

Microsoft's definition of "Life of the device" according to the rep I spoke with over the phone to get my license sorted out is tied to the motherboard, which is makes sense being the CPU / Mobo being essentially the heart of the computer. For all intents and purposes Windows keys being tied to the Mobo / CPU for the life of the computer seems fair.

For them to follow this trend is nothing new and simply following the trend they established back since Windows 7.

Did you install an OEM version of Windows 7? That would be tied to one computer (the motherboard) and would not be able to transfer that license to another computer.

HariKari

Why are people building up Steam OS as a competitor to Windows? It's not. It's just something meant to be there as an escape hatch for Steam if Microsoft ever locks down Windows. It's not meant to take over a huge share of the market or anything of the sort.

OmegaDL50

Did you install an OEM version of Windows 7? That would be tied to one computer (the motherboard) and would not be able to transfer that license to another computer.

Well that makes sense. Upgrade OS keys are the same thing as a OEM revision right? Well that explains that issue.

Most likely just like Windows 7 (and probably 8 as well) you will be able to pretty much upgrade and change components and upgrade your computer as usual for Windows 10, However once you replace the motherboard and cpu. By Microsofts own definition it is no longer the same "computer" but an entirely new one, since based on my experience they tie keys to the motherboard / cpu, rather than the computer as a whole.

That's true, but untying a license from the mobo is just a call away, and afterwards you can use that key on another device right away.

Dunno if they will allow deactivation in win10, but up to win8.1 it's a pretty seamless process.

Condemned

Banned
Free for people who pirate Windows? I never thought id hear MS say that. Ive not had a chance to try the preview build of Windows 10. Any thoughts from people that have on GAF?

=)

USC-fan

Banned
Why are people building up Steam OS as a competitor to Windows? It's not. It's just something meant to be there as an escape hatch for Steam if Microsoft ever locks down Windows. It's not meant to take over a huge share of the market or anything of the sort.

Because in gaming it is a competitor.

Its debatable if MS even cares about losing market.

Keyouta

But it isn't different from what they've done in Windows 7 or 8. If my computer's motherboard or CPU died, I just switch it with a new one, and if I'm reinstalling windows and use the same key, you just call them and activate the key on your new build.

Maedhros

SteamOS was always like a joke for me.

Kinda like linux.

I'll never use. I can understand that some people like the option, but I'll never change having every game available on Windows instead of just some in Linux. IF SteamOS had every game from the windows catalogue, then maybe I would test it.

Anyway, I'm kinda excited about Windows 10. Free is good!

Reposting the OP from another source for clarity:

Windows 10 arriving in summer; pirates getting free upgrades

Windows 10 "will be available this summer in 190 countries and 111 languages," OS chief Terry Myerson writes in a blog post. COO Kevin Turner previously said Windows 10 would be available in in late summer or early fall.
Meanwhile, during a talk with Reuters, Myerson stated Microsoft will be "upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10." He asserts Microsoft's goal with the initiative is to "re-engage" with Chinese Windows users, a huge percentage of whom have pirated copies.

To further its Chinese Windows reach, Microsoft has struck distribution deals with Lenovo, Tencent, and Qihoo; Lenovo will offer Windows 10 "upgrade services" at 2,500 service centers and retail stores, while Tencent and Qihoo will provide the OS to the hundreds of millions of users of their Web services.

In January, Microsoft promised Windows 10, which contains many features meant to win over enterprises that shunned Windows 8, would be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 users. The company has suggested it will rely more on services to monetize Windows (already free or discounted for smaller/cheaper hardware) going forward.
Microsoft will likely use game streaming from and to the XB1 to leverage Windows PCs back into homes in China and It's always been my view that Windows 10 would release this summer, contrary to previous October/November releases, to have it on-line for the US DLNA CVP2 = Vidipath FCC mandate June 2015.

Services, which can't easily be pirated, will be the main source of revenue for Microsoft.

Windows 10 supports the HEVC codec especially on AMD's Kaveri and Carrizo which use the Cadence-Tensilica Xtensa IVP processor for AMD's UVD just like the PS4 and XB1 (All AMD APU/SoCs with larger GPUs can't use the GPU for video post processing as it would draw too much power for a IPTV mode). The Xtensa IVP is a accelerator/stream processor able to support codecs as well as Playready (DTCP-IP and OTT for VOD) and HDCP 2.2.

Intel has no low power accelerator support for HEVC till later this year with Skylake.

Wiktor

SteamOS is never going to be any real competition. It's just a tool to increase Linux support as a safeguard in case Microsoft ever decides to go full-retard and close off the ecosystem.

Devildoll

That isn't really relevant to the point I was making. The blog post is from January and not referencing pirates. What I posted is what Myerson had said in response to this new news on pirates getting a copy of Windows 10. The suggesting that I think I see in that quote is that they want to push pirates who get Windows 10 to actually get the licence eventually. So I took the guess that maybe they would have a limited version of Windows 10 after the year, or would have some feature restrictions.

Oh i see what you mean now.
Yeah the details of what happens to the non-genuine users after one year seem foggy, but i would assume that they are not going to discriminate, and will just give them the same treatment as the genuine ones.

Jakabok

So, say I don't have W7 or 8 and want a free copy of W10. Can I just download an ISO (or whatever) or would I have to first acquire a hooky copy of W7/8?

D-VoN

SteamOS makes sense if you're buying a Steam Machine or you have a PC dedicated for gaming only, as you would a PS4, X1, WiiU. Most PC gamers use their PC for more than just gaming, making SteamOS unfavorable. I'm sure everyone here knows this.. Not sure why I felt the need to point it out.

petran79

Banned
i hope Windows 10 will allow coexistence with Linux/SteamOS distros.

For Windows 8 it required some extra steps to dual boot with Linux.
I wouldnt be surprised if W10 goes further or even blocks access to other OS for 'security'

eso76

Reminds me how many people with non-geniune Windows getting the win 8 upgrade for $15 the first few months of it being out.

Yeah, i could have saved those 15$.

Jokes aside, shouldn't people who recently purchased legit Windows be pissed at this ? All 3 of them i mean.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Guess this is microsofts of recapturing the market after the messy windows 8 launch

Really makes me wonder what there underlying plan is here, hope the App Store isn't too heavily integrated

Seems too good to be true!

Why are people continuing this idea of a conspiracy?

It's pretty simple, Microsoft doesn't want Windows 7 to become another Windows XP. It's cheaper for them and easier to support if everyone goes to the latest version of Windows. This has little to do with their app store but it of course is a benefit to the app store to have more people on 10.

leeh

Microsoft is more of a services company these days, for example, Azure is already a billion dollar division for them. They make money by tying you into their ecosystem. For MS to get everybody on W10 for free and give everyone genuine licenses is win-win. People are happy with their free copy of W10 (which seems a lot better than 8), and MS are happy because they've got billions of people in their ecosystem.

Nobody's using Steam OS except for a handful of people. I wouldn't be surprised if it disappears in a few years, unless Steam Machines succeed.

Intrigue

Banned
This just makes sense, Windows been almost free in parts of world already to combat piracy.

Give the OS for free/low cost, and charge for add-ons/services ( office 365 etc )

This should have been the norm for quite some time.

Sigh the haters...

lul it's already dead, har har...clever girls

Anyway, SteamOS is a gaming front end first and foremost like the ps4/wii u/xbone interface it;'s not a sit down everyday and do you other shit OS.

MS is giving Win10 away because it want's to maintain that foothold it has which in recent times started to slip if just a little and to avoid fragmentation as well. Anyone that can run 10 will be invited to do so, so MS can use it as their base platform.
It's just the new kid on the block hazing. Ouya went through it. It's so hard imagine anyone cutting into N, S and M's market share after A and G have had such good years. Pure salt (and insecurity imo)

FordGTGuy

Banned
Nobody's using Steam OS except for a handful of people. I wouldn't be surprised if it disappears in a few years, unless Steam Machines succeed.

You seem to be up to the opinion that a Steam Machine requires Steam OS, there are Steam Machines running Windows with Steam.

Steam Big Picture mode on Windows can be setup to startup directly to SBP and since it is Windows it supports every game on Steam except for the few SteamOS has support for.

For example, the Alienware X51 can be bought with Windows and Steam pre-installed, it is definitely a Steam machine.

orava

" I hope window$ dies! Linux is superior os and gamedevs should start taking it seriously!"

" SteamOS is dead. Why would anyone use linux when we already have windows? Those devs who have started to do linux versions of games are dumb!"

FordGTGuy

Banned

" I hope window$ dies! Linux is superior os and gamedevs should start taking it seriously!"

" SteamOS is dead. Why would anyone use linux when we already have windows? Those devs who have started to do linux versions of games are dumb!"

Not as immature in saying it but we've been saying that about SteamOS since the beginning.

Looking at the Linux numbers in the Steam survey results don't exactly show promising results for the money being spent to create games for Linux.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Windows 95.68% and growing by .20%

OSX 3.23% and shrinking by .09%

Linux 1.02% and shrinking by .07%

Deraj

So what's a "qualified device" then? I'm guessing they mean it must be registered. You can't simply have a free copy of Windows 10 and remain unknown to them.

Redrum_82

Help me understand this: if you have a legal version of XP or Vista you have to pay for W10, but if you have a pirated version of W7 or 8 you get it for free?

Wouldn't it be easier to just make it free for everyone for the first year, regardless of their previous OS?

Devildoll

Help me understand this: if you have a legal version of XP or Vista you have to pay for W10, but if you have a pirated version of W7 or 8 you get it for free?

Wouldn't it be easier to just make it free for everyone for the first year, regardless of their previous OS?

They came out with a clarification now.

you can upgrade a non-genuine version of 7 or 8, to 10, but it wont change the fact that it is non-genuine... so you'll have to pay for windows 10 i think??

With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Non-Genuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered non-genuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mislicensed after the upgrade.

Top Bottom