• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam will stop working on Windows 7 and Windows 8 in a few days

Draugoth

Gold Member
steam.jpg

Valve reminds on its site that there are only a few days left to enjoy Steam on these old versions of Windows. If you are a player on the platform, an update is necessary.

As of January 1, 2024, the Steam client will no longer be compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. After this date, the customer will no longer receive updates, “including security updates”.

“Steam Support will not be able to offer users technical assistance for issues related to older operating systems, and Steam will not be able to guarantee the continued operation of Steam on operating system versions not supported. », Indicates Valve on its site.

Valve simply advises users to upgrade to a newer version of Windows. The company specifies, however, that Steam and games will likely continue to work “for a while” after January 1, 2024, but that functionality will no longer be maintained after this date.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Does Steam stop working, or just its technical support. I'm confused. The title is definitive, but the content of the post is kinda not.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Does Steam stop working, or just its technical support. I'm confused. The title is definitive, but the content of the post is kinda not.

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4784-4F2B-1321-800A

As of January 1 2024, Steam will officially stop supporting the Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems. After that date, existing Steam Client installations on these operating systems will no longer receive updates of any kind including security updates. Steam Support will be unable to offer users technical support for issues related to the old operating systems, and Steam will be unable to guarantee continued functionality of Steam on the unsupported operating system versions.

In order to ensure continued operation of Steam and any games or other products purchased through Steam, users should update to a more recent version of Windows. We expect the Steam client and games on these older operating systems to continue running for some time without updates after January 1st, 2024, but we are unable to guarantee continued functionality after that date.

This change is required as core features in Steam rely on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows. In addition, future versions of Steam will require Windows feature and security updates only present in Windows 10 and above.

We strongly encourage all Windows 7/8/8.1 users to update sooner rather than later. Microsoft ended security updates and technical support for Windows 7 in January 2020 and for Windows 8.1 in January 2023. Computers running these operating systems, when connected to the internet, are susceptible to new malware and other exploits which will not be patched. That malware can cause your PC, Steam and games to perform poorly or crash. That malware can also be used to steal the credentials for your Steam account or other services.

The Steam client itself will no longer receive updates, nor will there be any technical support for issues if people are using either of these unsupported Operating Systems.

Draugoth Draugoth , do you want to add this URL and the snippet to your OP for clarity?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Man Windows 8 lol, is that officially the least successful Windows ever?,. even worse than Vista?.
I actually have Windows 8 on this small form PC i have as a back up, but other than that i didnt know anyone who actually had 8.
Myself i went from 7-10.

Stuart360

The one issue with all digital future is that you cannot just "freeze" your pc in time.
Stuff will stop working if you don't update/upgrade
Maybe but its never as bad as feared. Remember all the horror stories about Windows 10 and the amount of games and programs that wouldnt work?. Well years later i still havent found any of my my apps programms etc that didnt work. Even most old games i have tried work.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Maybe but its never as bad as feared. Remember all the horror stories about Windows 10 and the amount of games and programs that wouldnt work?. Well years later i still havent found any of my my apps programms etc that didnt work. Even most old games i have tried work.
I am still using winamp on win11.
That's saying something :p

xrnzaaas

This sucks and I also hate how bloated the client is right now and how much RAM it needs to run in the background. Sure you can say it's a non-issue for current PC's, but not everyone wants or can upgrade for various reasons. There should be a lighter version of the client with older OS compatibility, even if it would lack some functions needed to run or purchase modern games.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I love my Windows 7 machine and it's still going strong

This is actually totally bollocks, I'll have you know!

PC my arse.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Hohenheim

This sucks and I also hate how bloated the client is right now and how much RAM it needs to run in the background. Sure you can say it's a non-issue for current PC's, but not everyone wants or can upgrade for various reasons. There should be a lighter version of the client with older OS compatibility, even if it would lack some functions needed to run or purchase modern games.
Is this really an issue? Does people really "suffer" from having this working in thé backgrund? I really cannot begin to understand that.
And do people expect these companies to continue support for ancient versions? To continue spenning resources on versions used by fewer than 1%. I mean, come on..

Last edited:
If you were still using Windows 7/8 in 2023, you didn't care about security or software updates anyways. So Steam officially ending support means fuck-all to you. You don't give a fuck already.

Man Windows 8 lol, is that officially the least successful Windows ever?,. even worse than Vista?.
I actually have Windows 8 on this small form PC i have as a back up, but other than that i didnt know anyone who actually had 8.
Myself i went from 7-10.
Windows follows the "alternating good and bad versions" cycle.

Last edited:
Windows 7 was so good, and never had any issues.

Windows 10 was pretty much identical once the issues got ironed out.

Widows 11 I hate the start menu, as well as file folder icons, with a passion.
I really hear you. For years with Win XP and 7 and whatnot I modded it down visually to look more like Windows 98 in terms of the start bar and windows. I still mod my start bar and other things to look like the older designs. I haven't touched Windows 11 though yet. I'm always one of the last to upgrade, I would probably still be on XP if I could.

Myself i went from 7-10.
I've got a really old media server that is running Win 8. I put a cheap celery processor with built in graphics. It did nothing but RAID a bunch of Hard Drives. Still works. Now it's just taking up space.

Roni

Gold Member
Well, which is it Gaben? Is Windows 11 evil and we should riot against it (in which case, supporting 7 and 10 indefinitely would be a good move) or is it not?

Gp1

Maybe because MS faced some serious backlash with the original plan of the uwp/walled garden...

xrnzaaas

Is this really an issue? Does people really "suffer" from having this working in thé backgrund? I really cannot begin to understand that.
And do people expect these companies to continue support for ancient versions? To continue spenning resources on versions used by fewer than 1%. I mean, come on..
Imagine you still have a PC with 8 gigs of RAM. Having to devote several hundred MB's (maybe even 1GB) to Steam in idle mode can make a difference. It shouldn't use so much RAM, especially with overlay turned off.

And I get it that the unsupported group is a small percentage, but we're talking about the PC ecosystem here. People may own older systems not just because they're poor, but also because they want to play older games which may not run properly on Win10+. Valve could make some 'lite' version to cover them, even if that meant not being able to use certain features related to the current client (like buying or browsing new games). This is a platform intended to run games that are 1 year and 20-30 years old. Steps should be made so that people who bought older games shouldn't worry that they won't be able to play them anymore because of the forced OS upgrade.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Why would they invest time, effort and money into something that literally less than 1% of users would benefit from, many of which are probably just accounts that got abandoned years ago anyway?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
i use windows 7 since i dont like any of the new windows.
I never really understand this mentality. 10/11 feel basically the same. Turn off all the telemetry shit and just use it exactly the same as 7. The one gripe I have with 11 is when you right click you get truncated options and have to click again to get the typical stuff you’d expect, and I’m sure there’s a button somewhere to fix that but I don’t care enough to find it.

I just built a Windows 11 PC and it’s the fastest thing I’ve ever owned.

Soodanim

Gold Member
og. Never heard about wacup. Is it worth checking out?
Winamp does everything I want really
I think it's short for Winamp Community Update Project. It looks about the same as I remember 5 being when I used it way back when, but with some under the hood updates to keep up with the times

smbu2000

If you were still using Windows 7/8 in 2023, you didn't care about security or software updates anyways. So Steam officially ending support means fuck-all to you. You don't give a fuck already.

Windows follows the "alternating good and bad versions" cycle.
It’s one thing to stop getting security/software updates, but the client will stop working and you won’t be able to play your purchased games. It was the same when they ended xp/vista support almost 5 years ago.

It’s one thing to stop getting security/software updates, but the client will stop working and you won’t be able to play your purchased games. It was the same when they ended xp/vista support almost 5 years ago.
It's not even Steam's fault though. They have stated that Chrome is abandoning Win7/8 support. Once newer versions of Chrome will no longer launch on Win 7/8, neither will Steam. There is nothing Valve can do about this. Valve isn't going to code an entire web browser themselves just for Steam client access to support the <1% of Steam users who are still clinging to Win 7/8.

Topher

Gold Member
WILL the client stop working or Steam just can't GUARANTEE it'll work? There's a difference

Exactly what they said....

"Steam will not be able to guarantee the continued operation of Steam on operating system versions not supported."

But back then Valve said explicitly that Steam would no longer run on Windows Xp/vista because "newest features in Steam rely on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows". That's not what they are saying here.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I never really understand this mentality. 10/11 feel basically the same. Turn off all the telemetry shit and just use it exactly the same as 7. The one gripe I have with 11 is when you right click you get truncated options and have to click again to get the typical stuff you’d expect, and I’m sure there’s a button somewhere to fix that but I don’t care enough to find it.

I just built a Windows 11 PC and it’s the fastest thing I’ve ever owned.

If you want more control about the taskbar, start menu and explorer, you could try StartAllBack. That's what I use to move the taskbar to the left and make W11 feel more like W7. (I'd been using StartIsBack to make Windows 8 look and feel like its predecessor). I also turn off unnecessary shit like Virtual Desktops, Cortana, Copilot, News and Interests, hide almost all of the Modern Apps, etc so my W11 isn't that different from W7 except for the Settings screen.

Last edited:

RScrewed

It's not even Steam's fault though. They have stated that Chrome is abandoning Win7/8 support. Once newer versions of Chrome will no longer launch on Win 7/8, neither will Steam. There is nothing Valve can do about this. Valve isn't going to code an entire web browser themselves just for Steam client access to support the <1% of Steam users who are still clinging to Win 7/8.
I agree with you but your analogy is hilarious when you take into account what Valve has done historically.

Valve isn't going to code an entire online DRM system just for one game...

Valve isn't going to market its own hardware and handheld...

Valve isn't going to just develop its own operating ststem...

Anything else?

Last edited:
I fucking hate Chromium. Sometime around 2017 or so, everything started to incorporate it into their code. Clean Win32 applications were suddenly getting this garbage heaped on top of existing code and the older, cleaner, purpose-built programming was deprecated in favor of glorified HTML. This is why everything is such a bloated, buggy, unoptimized mess today. You can lay all the blame for these problems at the foot of Chromium and the lazy cheap devs who implement it into their products. I fucking hate what's become of the modern computing landscape. Talent has completely disappeared out the window in favor the easiest (see: worst for the end user) crap you can imagine. We're doomed.

Top Bottom