• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Play magazine keep getting exclusives like this??? (Golden Axe related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollipen

twinturbo2 said:
According to Sega Nerds, the new issue of Play Magazine has the scoop on the new Golden Axe game.
http://www.seganerds.com/forums/index.php?topic=357.0
Why they keep getting exclusives like this... oh, it must be related to their Sonic 2006 review, nevemind...

So, uhm... what's your thing with us tonight? This is the second dig you've taken in the last couple of hours. (At least, two that I've seen... maybe you've snuck a few others in elsewhere.)

Chrange

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
Why they keep getting exclusives like this...

Better question would be why do people still care about Play? All it seems to have going for it these days is a nice layout and a willingness to sell their review scores.

Skilletor

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Play gives their covers to games that would only get a pic and a paragraph in other mags. Yay for the games that would otherwise fall in the cracks. Additionally, the magazine is pretty and has great previews.

Chrange

Banned
citrus lump said:
I don't get all the hate for Play here.

It's the only magazine worth paying for IMO

Don't get me wrong, I like their enthusiasm for gaming and the previews and behind the scenes stuff is great. But their reviews are a joke.

Lair - a 9/10? The average on GameRankings is 57%. On Metacritic, it's 54%. That game alone is enough to sink their review credibility, but it's hardly the only example.

The magazine is famous (should that be infamous?) for a perceived score bump based on coverage - the +1 to score for being on the cover and +1 if there's 4+ pages of coverage on the game or franchise before the review itself.

I like the layout, and they get a lot of access that other magazines don't - but that seems to come at the cost of credibility. I just can't trust their review scores, or accompanying text, at all.

schild

I like Play.

It has giant pictures.

Reviews only matter when they fall in line with what the hivemind thinks here at NeoGAF anyway. It's more flaky here than any high school in America.

Amir0x

Banned
The thread on Golden Axe is thataway, and you can bring up this issue there.

But I prefer you didn't.

Because it's dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom