• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita Japanese Games and Discussion Thread

I know what some of you are thinking. ANOTHER Playstation Vita thread? Don't we already have a Vita thread for the NA release, European release, and Australian release? Yes, yes we do. However, a good number of us J-GAF and Import-GAF members feel that we don't have a good place to discuss Japan-specific (or primarily Japanese) games, Vita news, etc. We tried to post in the launch threads, but the information is quickly lost in the flow of questions, initial impressions, praises, and criticisms of the Vita as it approaches release in the rest of the world.

As such, this thread is for such discussion. Discussion about Japanese Vita games and news. BBB+ level game discussion.

Japanese Vita Game Releases:

51obmRx4YBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

GRAVITY DAZE 重力的眩暈:上層への帰還において、彼女の内宇宙に生じた摂動 (Sony)
Release Date: February 9th, 2012
MSRP: 5,980 yen (Download 4,900 yen)

51-UsRaBvGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

墨鬼 SUMIONI (Acquire)
Release Date: February 9th, 2012
MSRP: 5,229 yen (Download 3,980 yen)

51gppJTRR1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Good People Die 極限脱出ADV 善人シボウデス (Chunsoft)
Release Date: February 16th, 2012
MSRP: 6,090 yen (Download 5,480 yen)

51C78bz7i5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

NINJA GAIDEN Σ PLUS (Koei Tecmo Games)
Release Date: February 23rd, 2012
MSRP: 6,090 yen (Download Price Unknown)

61Mkd8ZQ7rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

リトルバスターズ! (Little Busters!) Converted Edition (Prototype)
Release Date: March 2012
MSRP: 6,090 yen (Download Price Unknown)

6056981904_9b25334e56.jpg

Escape Plan (PSN only) (Sony)
Release Date: March 2012
Download 1,500 yen

Recent News:
-Sumioni will be getting a free patch soon with two new game modes: A challenge mode where players can compete with each other on an international leaderboard (going for fastest speed and lowest damage taken), and a gallery mode, which is exactly what it sounds like.

-WipEout 2048 is also getting a patch soon which will address the lengthy loading times present in the game.

-Reality Fighters demo came up on PSN today.

-The first pack of Ragnarok Online music for Ragnarok Odyssey came up on PSN today. It is a FREE pack of tracks from the PC game (woo) which can be selected to play for any quest (awesome feature). More free packs of Ragnarok Online music are expected in the near future.

Pachimari

I approve of this thread.
Is there any chance people like me, who don't understand one thing of Japanese (but want to learn it), can get some enjoyment out of games like Converted Edition, Sumioni and Good People Die?

I approve of this thread.
Is there any chance people like me, who don't understand one thing of Japanese (but want to learn it), can get some enjoyment out of games like Converted Edition, Sumioni and Good People Die?

Sumioni for sure (but an English release shouldn't be too far off from XSeed) -- Little Busters and Good People Die are both virtually visual novels, so unless you like looking at pretty pictures, not much enjoyment to be honest.

Kyoufu

Impressions on Gravity, please!

Solid game so far. The challenges scattered throughout the map are fun. The mechanics are well done. Art is fantastic, music is good from what I've heard so far.

Only thing I dislike right now is the touchscreen evading in combat. Someone must have been high when they came up with that one.

duckroll

I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is. If you want to discuss a game that has been released, why not make an OT for the game?

Sounds like a great thread. I look forward to seeing what games graces the Vita from Japan post Gravity Daze. While everyone seems to be excited for launch and Gravity Daze, I'm still really curious to see what the next year and two years hold for Vita.

I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is. If you want to discuss a game that has been released, why not make an OT for the game?

I don't believe this thread is for a specific game. I think it's just a place to chat about upcoming and recently released Japanese Vita games. More of a what to look forward to and what's coming out thread. Also a place, I'd imagine, for non-importers and non-JGAF members to get impressions on recent Vita releases in Japan.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
We want to discuss updates released in Japan, games that are coming out here and which OTs wouldn't survive more than a few pages and all that stuff that won't ever come in the US/EU. Without plowing through the posts about Western releases.

Ontopic:
- Ragnarok Odyssey will be getting content packs (BGMs, outfits, updates, quests) every Thursday (Source)

- Wara Wara patch for Dynasty Warriors NEXT has been released - it enables multiplayer with the Western version of the game and increases the number of visible enemies on screen

- Disgaea 3 also received a patch - it adds Kuro and Toro as playable characters, enables the Vita screenshot feature in game, has some balance tweaks and adds some button combinations to control the camera or something

Does anyone remember when the Japanese version of Escape Plan is supposed to be released? I remember that Yoshida tweeted the date (and price?) but can't find it in Famitsu.
After about half an hour I must say that I'm impressed. Still didn't get a chance to free roam though. Also, I'm not sure if I'm imagining things, but the jaggies seem better than in the demo.

Tons of fun so far. Easily the best thing I've played on the system since picking it up.

Loving the world, story, music and overall game mechanics. I agree that touching the screen to dodge can be a bit iffy sometimes, but the rest of the Vita specific controls all work great.

I find myself always using the Vita motion sensing to aim my gravity kicks.

And about Ragnarok Odyssey: I dig that they're giving this stuff out for free. RO is already a pretty complete game, but the extra stuff is damn nice.

As for why this thread exists: not every single game is big or important enough to sustain an OT. This way, us J-GAF folk and importers can discuss said releases, share images and info without having them be drowned in the other Vita threads like they have been since the Japanese launch thread was locked.

Late edit: I'm glad to see Disgaea got the screenshot feature enabled. I wasn't sure if that was something that could be fixed post launch, but it's cool to see that it can.

Jonnyram

I am dying to get back to Gravity. Only spent about a half an hour on it so far but I have other stuff I need to do before playing some more.

Nice to have a thread I can call home again :) I don't think many of the Japanese releases have enough followers to really carry an individual OT. In a single thread like this it's much easier for someone to just drop in and see what's going on, whereas I probably wouldn't go out of my way to search for a Sumioni OT with 4 posts about 10 pages deep into the site ;P

I should add that your ability to fly across the city in a relatively quick fashion totally betrays how big the game world is. If you're traversing on foot, there's a lot to see and explore.

A surprising amount of stuff underneath the city too.

I should add that your ability to fly across the city in a relatively quick fashion totally betrays how big the game world is. If you're traversing on foot, there's a lot to see and explore.

A surprising amount of stuff underneath the city too.

Wait, so it's an open-world game, or scripted game a la Uncharted?

duckroll

Okay, I can see the point about having a sort of general Vita discussion thread for Japanese releases, but I hope it doesn't turn into some sort of catch all megathread. Announcements and news updates should not be left buried in the thread, and if someone is interested in creating an OT for a game, this thread should not be seen as a substitute.

I picked up both Gravity Daze and Sumioni today but haven't touched them yet, been doing the family man routine.

I did get to play a little reality fighters on the way home. I google'd a portrait picture of Justin Bieber on my iphone and used it to create a fighter in-game then proceeded to beat the living snot outta him! :D

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Gravity Daze - getting gold in the first challenge might be impossible for me without strengthening my character a bit.

That's one thing I'm not used to yet -- limited power at the beginning! I went flying through the city when it first let me, only to realize I was running out of power and came crashing down hard lol

I picked up both Gravity Daze and Sumioni today but haven't touched them yet, been doing the family man routine.

I did get to play a little reality fighters on the way home. I google'd a portrait picture of Justin Bieber on my iphone and used it to create a fighter in-game then proceeded to beat the living snot outta him! :D

This is so awesome.

Also, I finally started up Gravity Daze about 30 minutes ago. The presentation and the opening are top notch, man.

That's one thing I'm not used to yet -- limited power at the beginning! I went flying through the city when it first let me, only to realize I was running out of power and came crashing down hard lol

This is so awesome.

Also, I finally started up Gravity Daze about 30 minutes ago. The presentation and the opening are top notch, man.

Seeing Kitten smash into the ground sometimes is both hilarious and 'ouch' inducing.

Some of those challenges though feel impossible early on. I've been aiming for at least bronzes as I make my way through.

So, most important question about Gravity Daze: Is there Meido costume and towel? Id like to see some screens of those ingame.

So, most important question about Gravity Daze: Is there Meido costume and towel? Id like to see some screens of those ingame.

Someone on twitter was talking about Kitten in a bath towel.

There is something about the charm of this game (and Kitten herself, so cute) that reminds of the way many Japanese games used to make me feel when I was younger. Feels good, man.

Great idea for a thread :) Although having said that, it's not going to make it any easier for me to hold off on importing Sumioni and Gravity Daze :p

Gravity Daze: I'm currently at chapter 4.

A+ art & presentation, not sure about game mechanics, kinda weak (but I reserve to change my mind)

Little OT: I'm thinking about learning Japanese. How long would it take me to learn it at an acceptable level? I'm Italian, so pronunciation isn't a problem (speaking Italian, Japanese pronunciation is really straight forward, from what I gathered). Is the formation of phrases much complex?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
°°ToMmY°°;34977545 said:
Little OT: I'm thinking about learning Japanese. How long would it take me to learn it at an acceptable level? I'm Italian, so pronunciation isn't a problem (speaking Italian, Japanese pronunciation is really straight forward, from what I gathered). Is the formation of phrases much complex?
Theoretically you can do it in a year if you do it the AJATT way (not talking about his weird paid programs, just the basic idea), but it will be a rough ride.

Shouldn't the rest of the Japanese games from the Western OT be added?

For now I just threw up the games that came out today, and the ones that will be out soon, as I figure that is what most of us will be talking about for now :D

Once I get some more time, I will go back through and make it a lot more "complete".

More Gravity Daze: Lots of things to level up, pretty awesome.

Been unlocking a lot of new moves and techniques. Loving the special attacks so far. One of them randomly reminded of Macross. Hahaha.

Chapter 8 boss spoilers:
Just had my first Crow battle. Man, that was crazy! Lots of flying around, throwing objects around and leaping across buildings.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Have anyone played Monster Radar or AR Combat DigiQ? I'm curious how well augmented reality works with the Vita.
My quite old Monster Radar impressions from the Vita Campaign:
Monster Radar - I seriously don't understand why someone would buy this thing. As opposed to other demos on the event, instead of playing the game, it was more listening to an explanation of some dude, who introduced all the features. Meh, catching monsters by going to certain spots (or buying items in the in-game store which extend player's reach up to 3000 km, you get money by selling your monsters) and being able to pet them and give them toys so they grow bigger isn't really my kind of thing. The process of catching the monsters boils down to finding them with the camera and touching them to use the net. Meh.
I've also played AR Combat but it's pretty mediocre. I guess it would be better with cards.

Pachimari

For now I just threw up the games that came out today, and the ones that will be out soon, as I figure that is what most of us will be talking about for now :D

Once I get some more time, I will go back through and make it a lot more "complete".

More Gravity Daze: Lots of things to level up, pretty awesome.

I actually think that's a great idea you got going.

Been unlocking a lot of new moves and techniques. Loving the special attacks so far. One of them randomly reminded of Macross. Hahaha.

Chapter 8 boss spoilers:
Just had my first Crow battle. Man, that was crazy! Lots of flying around, throwing objects around and leaping across buildings.

You mentioned in other thread how there is lots to do and explore. Is the game open-world or scripted events like Uncharted?

You mentioned in other thread how there is lots to do and explore. Is the game open-world or scripted events like Uncharted?

Definitely not scripted like Uncharted.

As far as I can tell, there are four main areas in the game (I just hit the 3rd one). Each area has challenge missions, people to talk to and story to progress. Once you hit an area, you're allowed to explore, collect gems, go back to previous parts of the city etc. Story progression is linear, but you can delay the story for as long as you want.

The maps are quite big and although you can use gravity to fly over stuff super quickly, on foot it'll take you much longer.

Edit: You're not allowed to move to the next giant piece of the city until you meet certain requirements, but you're more than free to go back to the parts you've unlocked.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thank you.

That's very comforting, I was afraid that they were just empty rumors.
Yeah, me too, especially since no one could provide any sources. I was really surprised when someone from studio Liverpool actually responded to that tweet. Guess we can expect the patch somewhere around the Western launch.

Top Bottom