• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Promise (a movie about the Armenian Genocide starring Christian Bale)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just about to post this but saw there's already a thread.

Looks great, Oscar Isaac lookin' like he's gunning for another Oscar to go along with his first name lol.

Hopefully brings a bit of awareness to the real history, the Armenian Genocide is shamefully unheard of for most people in the west.

This is a movie where everyone dies, isn't it :(

Looks awesome but way, way too sad for me to go to theaters to see it

Wonder why a release date isn't set yet? Dec 2016, few theaters, so it can get the oscar noms?

Also wonder if the stars and director will be banned from Turkey after this trailer.

18-Volt

Also wonder if the stars and director will be banned from Turkey after this trailer.

They can't do that. You can freely recognize the genocide in Turkey, government cannot create laws against it, so banning anyone involved with the movie is out of question.

But as a response, they'll probably do their own version of the movie, a propaganda movie. Telling events from "their own viewpoint". Most of the prolific actors would refuse to star in such movie, so they'd go with shitty conservative actors.

Hagi

Everything I've read about this event has been horrific as fuck, straight up bone chilling stuff. This is going to be a tough watch knowing what the Armenian s were subject to.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

So good that a movie about the genocide is being made. Someday the other two genocides will hopefully get their stories told as well. I just hope they really do justice to the stories of the Armenians.

Can't wait to hear about the Erdogan-Turkish nationalist reaction.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Oh, it's a fantasy movie like Lord of the Rings right?
Cause this "Armenian Genocide" never happened, OBVIOUSLY! LOLOLOLO

I just facetimed with Erdogan and he says I'm right and he is a democratically elected leader so he has to be right!

Akahige

Looks kinda by the numbers but Bale and Isaac usually deliver.

Did they actually cast any Armenian's in this?

They can't do that. You can freely recognize the genocide in Turkey, government cannot create laws against it, so banning anyone involved with the movie is out of question.

But as a response, they'll probably do their own version of the movie, a propaganda movie. Telling events from "their own viewpoint". Most of the prolific actors would refuse to star in such movie, so they'd go with shitty conservative actors.

I admit the Armenians were massacred in Anatolia. But as you and most of GAF will know I'm always compelled to bring up Turkish deaths and pain that happened in the same time period, because English speaking people don't get that side of the story as much as they get the Armenian and Greek side.

Many Turkish people are descended from ancestors that had to flee the Balkans and Caucasus. They fled because Turks and other Ottoman Muslims were massacred and forced out of former Ottoman lands as Christian ethnic groups with the help of Christian great powers established their nation-states.

People will look at me as usual as "Stupid Turkish racist just stfu". But when I have close friends whose ancestors had to leave everything behind in Macedonia, Bulgaria, Greece etc. because of the violent nature of those times, it feels difficult for me to stay quiet whenever the Armenian genocide is mentioned.

I mean let's be honest. Will there ever be a Hollywood production on how the Turkish populations of the Balkans and Caucasus were decimated? That's what upsets me. I feel like by being a Turk I'm a bad guy by default and that my people went through no suffering at all. I'm not denying the Armenian's sufferings, in fact I wish Anatolia had retained its ethnic mosaic (Turkey would be less of a shithole country then).

Yes. Yes. Yes.

So good that a movie about the genocide is being made. Someday the other two genocides will hopefully get their stories told as well. I just hope they really do justice to the stories of the Armenians.

Can't wait to hear about the Erdogan-Turkish nationalist reaction.

Will they make a 4th movie as well perhaps? About what the Balkan and Caucasus Turks suffered at the time as well?

G.ZZZ

As good as this looks, getting Isaac to play someone from Turkey is... ugh...

Because Turks are all brown? Turks are on average whiter than spaniards, italians and greeks (mostly because of near two millions russian immigrants after the russian revolution but i disgress)

First image from Google image googling turkey football team:

487115238-turkeys-national-football-team-players-pose-gettyimages.jpg

Turkey has middle easterners in it, sure, but to act like Greeks are white and Turks are not is stupid. In facts, a lot of greeks were actually Turks that were moved in the millions after the formation of the modern state to consolidate cultural homogeneization.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Because Turks are all brown? Turks are on average whiter than spaniards, italians and greeks (mostly because of near two millions russian immigrants after the russian revolution but i disgress)

Turkey has middle easterners in it, sure, but they're no more middle easterners than Greek. In facts, a lot of greeks were actually Turks that were moved in the millions after the formation of the modern state to consolidate cultural homogeneization.

So then how do you get a guy from Guatemala in that mix?

As good as this looks, getting Isaac to play someone from Turkey is... ugh...

Looks good. In for Isaac (though him playing a Turkish guy? Eh) and Bale.

"I'm a proud Armenian."

Uh huh, sure. Totally Armenian.

Turkey has middle easterners in it, sure, but to act like Greeks are white and Turks are not is stupid. In facts, a lot of greeks were actually Turks that were moved in the millions after the formation of the modern state to consolidate cultural homogeneization.

Well said.

There are Turks who look like Isaac sure but he doesn't look like the average Turk who I would say is closer to Mediterranean European in looks than Middle Eastern looks.

The casting is a bit weird and perpetuates the White Christians VS Brown Muslims stereotype. Reality is Turks and Armenians have approximately similar phenotypes which is a overlap between Europe and Middle East. I know Turks that look like White people and Turks that look like Middle Eastern people. And Armenians appear to have that same diversity.

I mean Turkey is a funny place in that regard. Western regions have more "White" looking Turks and Eastern regions have more "Brown" looking Turks. The major cities are diverse.

Wow I totally didn't think we'd ever get an Armenian Genocide movie from Hollywood. Certainly not one with big names attached.

I wasn't a fan of Bale in Batman, but will definitely check this out.

So then how do you get a guy from Guatemala in that mix?

The same way you get an African American to play a Rwandan.

I'm not disagreeing with your criticism in general, but you already know how this works. The film probably doesn't get made without a major star like Oscar Isaac playing the Armenian. Which begs the question, if the film should've been made then, which is a whole other debate. As far as I'm concerned it's up to Armenians to decide whether they're fine with the portrayal or not.

Wow I totally didn't think we'd ever get an Armenian Genocide movie from Hollywood. Certainly not one with big names attached.

I wasn't a fan of Bale in Batman, but will definitely check this out.

Looking at the production companies and studios involved, this looks like it was made outside of the Hollywood studio system.

Since people are bringing up race and ethnicity into this discussion regarding Isaac, has he ever played a Latin American? I know he's played Jewish, American, Italian, and Middle Eastern characters, but what else?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Well said.

There are Turks who look like Isaac sure but he doesn't look like the average Turk who I would say is closer to Mediterranean European in looks than Middle Eastern looks.

The casting is a bit weird and perpetuates the White Christians VS Brown Muslims stereotype. Reality is Turks and Armenians have approximately similar phenotypes which is a overlap between Europe and Middle East. I know Turks that look like White people and Turks that look like Middle Eastern people. And Armenians appear to have that same diversity.

I mean Turkey is a funny place in that regard. Western regions have more "White" looking Turks and Eastern regions have more "Brown" looking Turks. The major cities are diverse.
The problem isn't Isaac's skin tone or even him taking what work he can get. I typically am not going to bemoan an actor taking what work they can get when they are a woman or POC. The problem is that actors from the middle east, or south Asian nations rarely get to play themselves in any kind of positive light in Hollywood.

Well damn, didn't think a hollywood movie about the Armenian genocide would happen. I'm sure Erdogan will be thrilled.

I don't think it's a Hollywood movie, it's just uses Hollywood talent.

The companies behind this film are Babieka, Survival Pictures, and Wonderful Films.

All of which I've never heard of.

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't think it's a Hollywood movie, it's just uses Hollywood talent.

The companies behind this film are Babieka, Survival Pictures, and Wonderful Films.

All of which I've never heard of.
several producers are Armenian. This was probably financed outside the major studios s you said.

several producers are Armenian. This was probably financed outside the major studios s you said.

Has to be, because while watching it I was thinking about what Hollywood studio would even be interested in funding a movie about the Armenian genocide, yet alone what appears to be a decent sized budget.

Y'know, I don't know all that much about the Armenian Genocide. I've heard it mentioned quite a few times, but now that I'm listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast on WW1 "Blueprint for Armageddon" (spurred funnily enough by BF1 being announced as a WW1 game), I got a better understanding of the significance of the event and the idea that modern Turkey to this day denies it ever happened is fucking appaling.

I will go see this in theaters when it comes out.

Glix

Isnt the leader of turkey jailing journos and professors like its going out of style??

petran79

Banned

Τhey called themselves Rum actually. It was the term the Turks used for the Christians living in the East Roman Empire. This did not include just the ones speaking Greek but also other languages.

During the East Roman Empire (Byzantine), Rum meant Roman Christian. Hellen meant Roman pagan.
Greece (Graecia) was the derrogatory term Western empires, especially the Franks, used for the region, because they saw themselves as the true successors of Rome. The Eastern Roman Emperor they called Imperator Graecorum instead of Imperator Romanorum.

During the age of Nationalism, Greeks used the ancient term Hellenes, crossing the boundaries of the enslaved Rum. This term is today used for the whole of Greece (Hellas). At that time it was a struggle not just for Greece, but for the whole Balkan people to free themselves from the Ottoman Empire. Even Panslavism was inspired by that movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom