• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raven-Symoné defends Ex-Univision host's racist comment on Michelle Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...-some-people-look-like-animals_n_6888018.html

During the show’s segment, which featured Raven-Symoné as a guest host, co-host Rosie Perez said Figueroa's comment exposed a secret in the Latin community that stems from Latinos' reluctance to recognize that “African blood” is embedded within their ancestry.

“There is a secret in the Latin community, specifically the Caribbean, South American, Central American Latin community. They are very racist,” Perez said. “They never want to be in the same group as black people. And it’s very, very sad. And he did say Michelle Obama looked like a cast member of the ‘Planet of the Apes.'”

Raven-Symoné, however, questioned whether Figueroa’s intent was “racist-like” since he admitted to voting for President Barack Obama in both elections. Perez disagreed.

“I am the Latin person here on this table and I would like to tell you that it was racist, period,” she declared. “And the thing is this is a problem in the Latin community that we do not talk about. That we do not address. And it is real and it was revealed by this man’s statement. And you do not disrespect the first lady of our country.”

The “That's So Raven” star quickly interjected by saying, “Some people look like animals. I look like a bird. So can I be mad if somebody calls me a Toucan Sam?”

Bye Raven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHuhPKf_e8w

That's so Raven.

The “That's So Raven” star quickly interjected by saying, “Some people look like animals. I look like a bird. So can I be mad if somebody calls me a Toucan Sam?”

that's not how it works hun

I doubt the guy is a racist. It may have been a racist joke, but is it really that serious? The guy shouldn't have been fired.

injurai

Banned
giphy.gif

rNfO0d9.gif

Raven is dumb as fuck, ain't nothin new about that.

Raven trying to get one of those "One of the good one" membership cards that she can flash to police officers and racists whites.

Like "Gentlemen, it's okay *pulls out card* I'm one of the good ones."

sestrugen

v8ccqht.jpg

Yeah, he was comparing her to an animal but I am sure there was no other meaning behind it /s

Coconut

Banned
Is calling a black women a toucan a racist slur? Because I know that calling a black person a monkey is offensive.

commedieu

Banned
Raven trying to get one of those "One of the good one" membership cards that she can flash to police officers and racists whites.

Like "Gentlemen, it's okay *pulls out card* I'm one of the good ones."

STANDING FUCKING OVATION.

Exactly. Distancing themselves from the rest..of.. you know... that happen to be...

ahem..

Kanguro

Neo Member
It seems to me that there is no problem in general with saying someone looks like an animal, but there is significant historical / racist baggage associated with comparing a black person's appearance to that of an ape which makes it unacceptable.

Bush Jr. was frequently compared to a chimp because he had certain facial features that made that comparison apt. Same could apply to a black person for the same reasons, but you could never state it.

That's my outside perspective, but I'm not American so my interpretation might be completely off.

HUELEN10

Raven might not have an opinion that most here would agree with, but do you guys really thing she is being racist with her remarks, or just dumb or seeing the situation in a different way? I honestly do not belive she is being racist, perhaps naive, but not racist. I'm not talking about the ex-Univision host, I am talking specifically about Raven.

Ivan 3414

It seems to me that there is no problem in general with saying someone looks like an animal, but there is significant historical / racist baggage associated with comparing a black person's appearance to that of an ape which makes it unacceptable.

Bush Jr. was frequently compared to a chimp because he had certain facial features that made that comparison apt. Same could apply to a black person for the same reasons, but you could never state it.

That's my outside perspective, but I'm not American so my interpretation might be completely off.

You are more or less correct.

LaMagenta

It was a dumb racist joke. He deserves to be fired for being stupid. Raven's comments about other issues leads me to believe she is very open, understanding, and maybe a little naive, but at the same time she doesn't bother herself getting angry. Good for her. Still, this is racists. We can't change some people from the way of thinking but we can teach our children tolerance. We should not allow bad tv humor affect new minds.

Pretty much, but even then it's not solely American

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom