• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How US Media Sanitize & Excuse Stephen Bannon’s White Supremacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Media fails American public so extensively that a reality-show star is elected president. Post-election, media shows no self-reflection and changes exactly nothing.

CNN played at fact checking in realtime because it made for good TV when they had those Trump toadies on for endless hours of airtime.

I can't remember who I heard say it but "Bannon can't be an Anti-Semite because Ivanka is a (((Jew)))"

It's like these people have never heard the phrase "one of the good ones."

OceanBlue

That's better but also an opinion piece.

I posted this yesterday.
I must not understand this headline in the same way you do. People who aren't critical of Bannon are saying he's not racist (as evident by the OP), but his critics are saying he is. Would you rather have the headline say "Bannon is a racist"? Because that's what the article I linked says.

Totakeke

I must not understand this headline in the same way you do. People who aren't critical of Bannon are saying he's not racist (as evident by the OP), but his critics are saying he is. Would you rather have the headline say "Bannon is a racist"? Because that's what the article I linked says.

Yes, do we have to debate that Bannon is a racist or directly supports racists? Can we only say Bannon is one of the two by prefacing it that this is merely our opinion?

Drnf6sn.png

Read the whole thread, it's great/terrifying: https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/798327366523252736

Trickster

Well, we all know that FOX is slimy as fuck. No reason to expect that to change.

I'm mainly dissapointed that CNN continues to give voice to people like jeffrey lord and kayleigh mcenany. Both of them are walking right wing propaganda machines that ignore and downplay any form of criticism.

RoKKeR

I've only skimmed your OP, but I read the WSJ and...

Major Newspapers Downplayed Bannon’s Ties To White Nationalism And Anti-Semitism. Major newspapers ignored or downplayed Bannon’s ties to white nationalism and anti-Semitism in their initial reports on his appointment. Politico, The Wall Street Journal, and USA Today made no mention of these connections in their articles.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/democrats-criticize-donald-trump-over-steve-bannon-appointment-1479155088
Literally the second paragraph.
The criticism on Monday followed a presidential campaign in which the Republican nominee drew support from the Ku Klux Klan and other white nationalist groups. Mr. Bannon, who led the Breitbart News Network before joining the campaign as chief executive, has in the past linked his site to the “alt-right,” a movement that includes people who view immigration and multiculturalism as threats to white identity.

???

OceanBlue

Yes, do we have to debate that Bannon is a racist or directly supports racists? Can we only say Bannon is one of the two by prefacing it that this is merely our opinion?
I haven't read the article you reference, but I imagine the point of the article is not to call attention to the NYT's opinion on Banner, but to report on other people's dissatisfaction with him. That's why their opinion on Banner is in an editorial. Maybe they should editorialize more in their articles, but I don't think they're trying to protect Banner or anything.

I've been hearing too much of this "just wait and see" bullshit over this past week. A president is a supposed to be a pillar for his whole country. You can't have a guy get into the the role of the pillar by throwing as many oppressed groups under the bus as possible within a year, make extremely questionable cabinet choices, and then demand that all the people who serve to suffer the biggest consequences just "give him a chance". Or "just wait".

I don't know whether it is mostly Trump's supporters saying this as damage control, or people who are still in shock that something like this could happen to America and don't want to realize it, but we are far past the point where "waiting" makes sense.

Boney

Banned
The mainstream media in America is an Orwelian nightmare. It's a cesspool of yellow journalism tied with a nice bow of consumerism.

Even guys like Van Jones that know the bs of it all don't get my respect for ultimately serving big brother

Gigglepoo

Years ago as a journalism major, I often argued that newspapers and news programs should never edit out unsavory language. If a politician, for instance, says "pussy," we should hear and read that instead of a sanitized version. The reason they exist is to tell exactly what's going on and put it in proper context, so to use asterisks or bleeps to censor upsetting words undermined their entire purpose.

Now they've taken that idea and pushed it even further. Journalists are scared to use the terms racist, sexist, etc because they don't want to deal with any backlash. They're more scared of being seen as partisan than being labeled impotent. So we're in a terrible place where we dance around the truth while hatred is growing all around us. Journalists have failed us.

Years ago as a journalism major, I often argued that newspapers and news programs should never edit out unsavory language. If a politician, for instance, says "pussy," we should hear and read that instead of a sanitized version. The reason they exist is to tell exactly what's going on and put it in proper context, so to use asterisks or bleeps to censor upsetting words undermined their entire purpose.

Now they've taken that idea and pushed it even further. Journalists are scared to use the terms racist, sexist, etc because they don't want to deal with any backlash. They're more scared of being seen as partisan than being labeled impotent. So we're in a terrible place where we dance around the truth while hatred is growing all around us. Journalists have failed us.

They don't want them ratings to drop. Its like if people are upset at what they think is bias that is on them. That does not mean news organizations should be allowed to just bullshit so nobody gets upset. I said it earlier today cable news is dead to me.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
We just need to turn them off. Seriously, just power off or click x. They need you running in circles so they can remain alive. There is no social obligation to the people.

This guy is a lunatic. Bannon is a white nationalist and probably racist, but hes not a "literal nazi". The Bannon pick is a bad sign but lets keep things grounded in reality.

The fact that you included "probably"

Be sure to check out the "Black Crime" tab on Breitbart today!

This guy is a lunatic. Bannon is a white nationalist and probably racist, but hes not a "literal nazi". The Bannon pick is a bad sign but lets keep things grounded in reality.

There is no probably. If you're a white nationalist, you believe the white race to be superior to all others. Thus racist. And not actually being a literal nazi is not supposed to be the high bar. The only similarities people who run our country should have to nazis is sharing the fact that both are human beings born on Earth.

"Probably"

Get the fuck outta here with that shit. Dude is a full on white nationalist racist piece of shit with neo nazi tendencies.

JB1981

Feel like the Media Matters piece would be better if it actually included evidence of Steve Bannon being a white nationalist, anti-Jew nazi

Guevara

Look, Bannon is terrible, but there's some solace in the fact that he couldn't be made Chief of Staff.

Look around Trump, it's mostly mainstream republicans: Pence, terrible guy but mainstream republican.

Priebus: terrible, but about as mainstream as you can get.

Priebus also suggests Paul Ryan and McConnell will keep their respective positions. Terrible people too, but again pretty mainstream.

Trump wants to cash in, the GOP wants to advance their policy.

Lime

Feel like the Media Matters piece would be better if it actually included evidence of Steve Bannon being a white nationalist, anti-Jew nazi

You don´t have to go far to find proof of this

Look, Bannon is terrible, but there's some solace in the fact that he couldn't be made Chief of Staff.

Look around Trump, it's mostly mainstream republicans: Pence, terrible guy but mainstream republican.

Priebus: terrible, but about as mainstream as you can get.

Priebus also suggests Paul Ryan and McConnell will keep their respective positions. Terrible people too, but again pretty mainstream.

Trump wants to cash in, the GOP wants to advance their policy.

The dude is Top Advisor for the President of the United States and he will most likely have access to the NSA

Yup, it's pathetic how cowardly they are.

Let's praise the outlets that called it like it is:

Slate: White Nationalism in the White House

Huffington Post: A White Nationalist Is The New White House Chief Strategist

La Presse (mainstream Québec newspaper): Un suprémaciste blanc à la Maison-Blanche? (Translation: "A White Supremacist in the White House?", and while there's a question mark in the headline, the rest of the article answers that with a resounding "yes")

Salon: Steve Bannon runs an anti-Semitic website, is a misogynist and will be one of Donald Trump’s senior advisers
And this is the main reason why MSM do not want to cover this. They do not want to be labelled as LIBRUL media reporting on Soros' propaganda.

I've only skimmed your OP, but I read the WSJ and...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/democrats-criticize-donald-trump-over-steve-bannon-appointment-1479155088
Literally the second paragraph.

???

That's the point of the article; they abstract and lessen how horrible of a human he is by simply saying "his site is linked to the alt-right".

Does not compute.

"Have you ever seen him say 'nigger'? No? Then how is he racist?" - American Logic 101

Maybe? This is the point though:

I've been hearing too much of this "just wait and see" bullshit over this past week. A president is a supposed to be a pillar for his whole country. You can't have a guy get into the the role of the pillar by throwing as many oppressed groups under the bus as possible within a year, make extremely questionable cabinet choices, and then demand that all the people who serve to suffer the biggest consequences just "give him a chance". Or "just wait".

I don't know whether it is mostly Trump's supporters saying this as damage control, or people who are still in shock that something like this could happen to America and don't want to realize it, but we are far past the point where "waiting" makes sense.

NONE OF THIS IS NORMAL.

Pay attention, fail your obedience tests, and do not let this become the new normal. As demonstrated in the OP, the media is already passing all of their tests.

remist

"Probably"

Get the fuck outta here with that shit. Dude is a full on white nationalist racist piece of shit with neo nazi tendencies.
There's no doubt Breitbart has hosted racist content. I'm just allowing for the chance that he's a cynical asshole and not ideologically a racist. My "probably" was based on the fact that I've heard him in his own words dabble in white identity politics and populist nationalism, but I haven't seen or heard him in his own words express any racial animus either explicitly or implicitly. He hosted a radio show on XM 3 hours a day, 5 days a week for almost a year, that I occasionally listened to(for fun) and no one has found and posted something of that nature.

I've also googled for what evidence people are pointing to, and it makes me even more skeptical when the evidence being posted that he is an antisemite is hearsay from his ex-wife in a divorce proceeding and a headline in an anti Bill Kristol article that is nutty but very pro Jewish and pro Israel. Any real antisemite that read it would assume Breitbart was part of their imaginary Jewish conspiracy.

fucking liberals

There's no doubt Breitbart has hosted racist content. I'm just allowing for the chance that he's a cynical asshole and not ideologically a racist. My "probably" was based on the fact that I've heard him in his own words dabble in white identity politics and populist nationalism, but I haven't seen or heard him in his own words express any racial animus either explicitly or implicitly. He hosted a radio show on XM 3 hours a day, 5 days a week for almost a year, that I occasionally listened to(for fun) and no one has found and posted something of that nature.

I've also googled for what evidence people are pointing to, and it makes me even more skeptical when the evidence being posted that he is an antisemite is hearsay from his ex-wife in a divorce proceeding and a headline in an anti Bill Kristol article that is nutty but very pro Jewish and pro Israel. Any real antisemite that read it would assume Breitbart was part of their imaginary Jewish conspiracy.

nah fam. not how it works.

dudes a racist piece of shit and you'll be looked down upon for even remotely trying to defend him.

What I've learned in the process of all this normalization after Trump's election is that almost nobody is racist, a supremacist, or white nationalist. The only person I've seen media really agree on is David Duke, so I guess you have to have been previously a grand wizard of the KKK to be labeled as such.

It's like you're a racist only if you say those magical racist words or something. Being racist doesn't mean you're dumb, they know not to be THAT obvious with it in public.

If you give Trump's team a pass before he is elected...once he is elected you will continue to give him a pass.

~Paraphrasing Obama.

Shit should have been front page news. KKK endorses Trump, months ago. Media is useless.

There's no doubt Breitbart has hosted racist content. I'm just allowing for the chance that he's a cynical asshole and not ideologically a racist. My "probably" was based on the fact that I've heard him in his own words dabble in white identity politics and populist nationalism, but I haven't seen or heard him in his own words express any racial animus either explicitly or implicitly.

I'm not sure why you believe this matters. "Actions speak louder than words" is an axiom we seem to have forgotten in this post-fact era. Brannon can say he wants to give all non-whites in the US a big sloppy kiss, but his running of a site that revels in spreading dangerous misinformation and white nationalist rhetoric is all that matters. That is what people will take to heart and act out. That is what creates strife. If he doesn't want the label, he shouldn't put so much effort and get paid to spread racism. Hold his feet to the fire and stop minimizing his bs. Don't give him fucking wiggle room he doesn't deserve just because you want to believe calling someone who acts like a racist a racist because it's somehow a step too far.

Tubobutts

If you believe it is impossible for someone to be both pro Israel and anti Semitic, do you also believe it is impossible to be anti-Israel without being anti-Semitic?

Does this same logic also apply to other forms of bigotry or are anti Semitism and the Jews unique? Would you also say that Trump can't be racist against black people because he has Ken Blackwell and Ben Carson in his transition team?

remist

If you believe it is impossible for someone to be both pro Israel and anti Semitic, do you also believe it is impossible to be anti-Israel without being anti-Semitic?

Does this same logic also apply to other forms of bigotry or are anti Semitism and the Jews unique? Would you also say that Trump can't be racist against black people because he has Ken Blackwell and Ben Carson in his transition team?
I'm not saying any of that. I'm saying that the article in question is 1; not antisemitic in content and 2; not something an antisemite would want posted on his website 3; is evidence to the contrary of what people are trying to put it to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom