• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 vs. REmake

The biggest question facing horror fans of the last decade, no longer thinly veiled!

Resident-Evil-4.jpg

So, on one hand we have REmake, generally regarded as the best of the "old" series, whose fans regard it as the best horror game ever. On the other, we have RE4, which plays totally differently and, like REmake, is regarded as one of the best games ever created. It's time to stop speculating about what gamers think of these two games, and determine it once and for all!

Feel free to bring up others in the series. If you believe that RE2 bests RE4, than by all means tell us.

EDIT: Remember, this isn't a question about which is a better horror game, nor is it about whatever damage or improvement they may have done to gaming, or which fits into the series better (please avoid "X may be worse than Y, but it's a better Resident Evil game). Pick whichever game you feel is genuinely better.

hatchx

Banned
REmake and RE4 are the best in the series, followed somewhat closely by RE2 (which could change if it is REmade).

I don't even bother with comparing REmake and RE4. Both are so different, almost like entirely different genres. Both have special places in my heart, and for entirely different reasons.

Symthic

Banned
Resident Evil 4 because pre-RE4 controls ruins the game for me.

Although REmake is better at horror/scariness and RE4 is better at gameplay. I don't know why everything has to be a conflict...

Sliver

REmake was scarier and a much more legit survival horror game, but I had more fun with RE4.

Love them both though.

You could say the same about REmake though, that too was pure quality.

And yet half the posts in this thread supporting REmake will be supporting it only because it's survival horror or a "true RE game."

REmake was the pinnacle of the weird vagueness that we call survival horror, and people seem to want to hold it against RE4 that it doesn't fit that definition.

Beck

As good as RE4 is, REmake is within my top twenty games and was the single reason I bought a Gamecube.

Even though they are of the same franchise, they are both vastly different games, but of the highest quality in their respective genres nonetheless. I love both games.

Both get the gameplay right, but RE4 has such a horrid story and narrative that it gets in the way later on. Starts to work against the actual game.

REmake had no such issues, so REmake is the better game. In fact, REmake is easily better than 4 because of this.

King Boo

remake.

has chris, jill, barry, rebecca, and wesker. a bunch of characters i really like. had more fun playing this too.

re4 has...leon. don't care for him.

Lingitiz

They're two very different games, but I prefer RE4 as a whole. REmake is a fantastic survival horror game though and way scarier than anything RE4 and beyond.

Both get the gameplay right, but RE4 has such a horrid story and narrative that it gets in the way later on. Starts to work against the actual game.

REmake had no such issues, so REmake is the better game. In fact, REmake is easily better than 4 because of this.

RE4 is a parody of the Resident Evil series and common horror film tropes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Definitely REmake.

The best thing about RE4 was Mercenaries, and both RE5 and RE6 have better iterations (excluding music)

TokiDoki

REmake easily , for the old school RE gameplay , Jill , awesome pre-rendered BG , Crimson Zombies and actually feel a little bit scary .

And it got in the way of the gameplay and tone they attempted to set up a lot of the time. Unless they meant to set up something tension filled, and then immediately kill it.

Sounds like every Resident Evil game to me. Except that RE4 does it to have a good time, and all of the other games do it through pure incompetence, bad writing, and terrible pacing.

REmake and RE4 are the best in the series, followed somewhat closely by RE2 (which could change if it is REmade).

I don't even bother with comparing REmake and RE4. Both are so different, almost like entirely different genres. Both have special places in my heart, and for entirely different reasons.

Pretty much my opinion. If forced to choose one over the other I'd say neither since I couldn't play one while knowing I lost the other as a result. And yeah, REmake 2 could change things regarding REmake since RE2 is by far my favorite RE game.

Auskeek

REmake was the best looking game I had ever seen until probably 2008 or something. Those pre rendered backgrounds really left an impact on me.

I can't decide on it being better than RE4 though. They're so different. If I was reccomending the games I'd but RE4 first because it's so much more accessible.

You can compare them easy. Which experience did you like better?

If we put it in terms of pure enjoyment, amount of adrenaline produced, endorphins released and burnt brain cells.... it's still a tie for me.

And yet half the posts in this thread supporting REmake will be supporting it only because it's survival horror or a "true RE game," as if either of those distinctions mean anything.

Well, people who like the former Resident Evil style of gameplay better will obviously prefer REmake.
The point is that one cannot deny that in both games there has been an extraordinaly amount of effort to make them both excellent games.

In the end it's much more tied to one's personal preference to one's genre or the other.

I agree that notions such as "the true Resident Evil" are out of place though.
Both games were released under the name Resident Evil, hence they are both true.
There is only the "former", more survival oriented style and the "latter", more action-y style

This happened to you in REmake? It happened often in 4-6, and a lot in code veronica, but that never happened to me in 1 or especially REmake.

I'm trying to remember if it did in 2 or 3, but I don't believe so.

It did, but to be fair to REmake it was probably associations to the original. Kind of like how you try to remake a Sci-Fi Channel original movie and it doesn't matter how seriously you take it and try to fit it into the canon, it's still kind of stupid.

Any time Wesker opens his mouth in any game the tension dies.

TL21xx

Banned
Do not get me wrong, I love the old-school Resident Evil games and despise what the series has become, but Resident Evil 4 had a beautiful balance to it that later games completely missed. While it wasn't all that scary, it had tension and and environment that kept you unsettled (a lot of it due to the spectacular audio design). And frankly, I just find it to be a whole lot of fun. RE4 is by far my favorite Resident Evil, and is one of the best games of all time.

Scrabble

Remake easily.

RE4 is a great game but it did a lot of damage to the horror themed game genre.

You cant blame RE4 for that though. That's like blaming FF7, or blaming Call of Duty 4 for modern shooters. Also I pick RE4 because it's a game I can actually control.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That's a tough one. I love both games. I'll go with REmake today, just because it's more unique. There aren't a whole lot of genuine horror games out there, and few that are as creepy as REmake (especially on a good sound system.) The sheer feeling of dread really makes this one special. And I like the exploration and puzzle solving. Yeah, the puzzles tend to be pretty out there, but the satisfaction of solving one and finally figuring out where that damn crest goes is immense.

RE4... shit, it's great. It's an awesome action game, and I overwhelmingly prefer it even to much later games that it clearly inspired (read: Gears, which I also like a lot.) Excellent pacing, and the game never wears out its welcome despite being pretty lengthy. But being that it's a third person shooter, it feels a little bit less... special. We get third person shooters all the time, and while they're never as good as RE4, there are at least viable alternatives. Classic-style survival horror games, on the other hand, are rare... and those, too, fail to live up to REmake.

So I'm saying REmake... but if you ask me some other time, I might go with RE4. They're both great.

I sure do miss the former Resident Evil style of gameplay and atmosphere though...
Here's hoping that Evil Within helps fill that void even if by just a little.

It did, but to be fair to REmake it was probably associations to the original. Kind of like how you try to remake a Sci-Fi Channel original movie and it doesn't matter how seriously you take it and try to fit it into the canon, it's still kind of stupid.

Any time Wesker opens his mouth in any game the tension dies.

I can understand that.

RE4 always and forever. At this point it's starting to feel like a once in a lifetime kind of game. As an action/adventure/shooter fan, it's such a hugely impressive, polished, replayable, tight, precise, focused, masterclass in design, and remains so even years after an entire generation tried to ape it. REmaks is great, but for me personally, RE4 is on another level, not just from REmake but from most games in general.

AOC83

Banned
Couldn´t decide, both are amazing in their own way.

The real question here is why we didn´t get a overworked REmake HD and what the fuck happened to pre rendered backrounds?

Astarte

REmake. It had this unending tension that absolutely scared the shit out of me.
RE4 aight, absolutely hate what comes after.

Top Bottom