• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just replayed Resident Evil 4

Xtyle

I beat it on GC when it came out. It was awesome. Played pro but I don't think I finished that. I got it on Wii when it came out but I couldn't play it because it seriously looked ugly on my HDTV. I went back to it couple times over the years but I couldn't get over the ugly Wii graphics on my TV. Anyhow, I got the 360 "HD" version and due to it missing effects, etc, I just couldn't really get into it as much (I just hate playing an inferior version, even if it is just minor stuff). I struggled between playing the Wii and the 360 version...then, this weekend, I continued playing the 360 version and I just got to the island.

This game. This game! It is still such a masterpiece even compared to the games out now. There's just so much detail and personality to the environments (ok low res textures...but the aesthetic is really pleasing to the eyes...the red candles against the white walls, etc ). Playing through the game you could tell they put a lot of work into the environments..there is not many areas not textured. And the models look great! The sound and music is very well done...and then the gun upgrades, the loots...the items you can search for...I forgot so much about the different areas in the later part of the castle to the island..wow

Now, the gameplay...a lot of the regular enemies act very similarly, and in fact they probably share very similar scripted AI but it doesn't matter...as it is extremely fun fighting them...over and over again, in different environments. It helps that the game throws new types of enemies here and there...and I practically like those invisible creatures in the sewers and how later you fight them, they are these flying bugs, and then later in the caves, you fight a whole bunch of them...real nice touch. Sometimes it gives me a sense of rush when I am surrounded and I could hear enemies making weird noises off screen. I haven't found this kind of pure gameplay enjoyment from other games in similar genres.

And then, the game is so lengthy with so many varied environments and enemy models (even if they have similiar AI), different gameplay situations...it's amazing that this game's got all this.

In this generation I have not played a game that's managed to accomplish so much (IMO). GTAV's great. I had lots of fun with it, but once I finished the story missions. I felt done with it. RE4, it's a game I can play through again and again..just because it is freaking fun. Oh, I love it when leon covers him self when a grenade explodes near him. I love it more when I shot the grenades being thrown at him.

Ninja Gaiden (and NG:B) on 360 is the closest game that I like as much. But that game while good in many aspects, you could still find lots of weak environment textures and to me, music there isn't as strong...etc.

And, I have never played the mercenary mode or unlocked the secret weapons...so there's even more to this amazing game :O

What are you examples of "RE4" games you have experienced?

TLDR: Playing through RE4 again and I feel it is still the king of TPS and action adventure/shooter in general in single player.

Timmy00

Amazing game. Seriously up there as one of my favorite games of all time. Still fun to play today. Glad you got back into the game OP. :D I can get similar experience with REmake and Super Mario RPG.

The Last of Us is better in literally every way. But at the time RE4 was excellent.

RE4 is still quite better, even today. It barely aged at all.

So what do you say, GAF? Game of the generation twice in a row?

RE4-Ashleypwn2.gif

LaNaranja

This game, The Last of Us, and The Wonderful 101 are the only games to have me thinking I am near the end only to keep on going.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Glorious game. Not just incredible for its time, but has stood the test of time extremely well. As with all games that hold it, it nails the core mechanics in such a way that the simple act of playing is never tedious or unsatisfying. Everything you "do" has an instantly satisfying and enjoyable feedback. It's an incredibly well paced campaign too, that shepherds you across a crazy assortment of locations, throws you against countless creative and varied encounters and enemy types, and never regresses to monotonous grinds.

I rank it alongside Half-Life 2 (and episodes) as one of those action games that was constructed with an exceptionally focused vision heavily reliant on variety. Like Half-Life 2, the focus on game progression is keeping every area you visit, and every battle you fight, seemingly hand made and unique from every other in the game. It's a "complete" adventure through and through.

Also, it has some of the most satisfying visual and audio work put into weapon animation, firing, reload, and hit feedback ever built into a game.

The Last of Us is better in literally every way. But at the time RE4 was excellent.

The Last of Us wishes it was better than Resident Evil 4 in literally every way.

Xtyle

Amazing game. Seriously up there as one of my favorite games of all time. Still fun to play today. Glad you got back into the game OP. :D I can get similar experience with REmake and Super Mario RPG.

Because I haven't beaten the game many times (unlike like MGS games), the game is still so fresh to me which is amazing.

Vire

Let's not turn this into a The Last of Us vs. Resident Evil 4 thread.

Both are great.

Next.

Seik

Banned
So what do you say, GAF? Game of the generation twice in a row?

RE4-Ashleypwn2.gif

:lol

This gif is awesome, never saw it before. :p

That said, RE4 is something to be remembered for the ages. Though I'm kinda perplex OP diss the HD version for missing effects, because those are really scarce. Wii + Dolphin version is the shit though.

Freeman

Banned
I played RE4 when it came out and I deeply disliked it, it is a game I just don't get. I can't understand why people like it, it ruined RE from there on. RE5 feels exactly like RE4 but its a game that no one seem to like.

REmake is such a superior experience, to bad Capcom made the game a GC exclusive and then compared its sales to RE4, a game that was also on PS2 and then concluded the later was the way the series should go (even tho on the GC both games sold very close even with RE4 being a new game with much more market behind it).

ps: Salazar is so ridiculous, the entire game makes no sense if you stop and think about it.

MormaPope

Banned

What the hell are you smoking. Resident Evil 4 and The Last of Us are entirely different games. Resident Evil 4's strengths include weapon variety, top notch enemy encounters and scenarios, brisk pacing but good overall length, tons of different upgrade options, Tetris styled inventory management, and extremely well done boss fights.

The Last of Us is a terrific narrative experience with extremely polished gameplay. The Last of Us is a fantastic game but won't redefine anything, Resident Evil 4 was literally a game changer and one of the best designed action games of all time.

-MD-

I have a love/hate thing with RE4. I loved it when it came out and played a lot of it but looking back now it's the reason the series is what it is. 4 completely changed what RE was all about by making it a straight action TPS (albeit a good one) and so I hate it for that.

Remake is still king.

Xtyle

This game, The Last of Us, and The Wonderful 101 are the only games to have me thinking I am near the end only to keep on going.

Seriously, a lot of the bosses and areas in RE4 feel like end game and only until you beat them you know there's more to come...

Glorious game. Not just incredible for its time, but has stood the test of time extremely well. As with all games that hold it, it nails the core mechanics in such a way that the simple act of playing is never tedious or unsatisfying. Everything you "do" has an instantly satisfying and enjoyable feedback. It's an incredibly well paced campaign too, that shepherds you across a crazy assortment of locations, throws you against countless creative and varied encounters and enemy types, and never regresses to monotonous grinds.

I rank it alongside Half-Life 2 (and episodes) as one of those action games that was constructed with an exceptionally focused vision heavily reliant on variety. Like Half-Life 2, the focus on game progression is keeping every area you visit, and every battle you fight, seemingly hand made and unique from every other in the game. It's a "complete" adventure through and through.

Also, it has some of the most satisfying visual and audio work put into weapon animation, firing, reload, and hit feedback ever built into a game.

The Last of Us wishes it was better than Resident Evil 4 in literally every way.

Quoted for troofs.

RE4 is a masterpiece, through and through. Though a few notable games come close, I firmly believe it has yet to be topped. It does everything and then some all while being incredibly well paced and placing a high value on replayability. It never wastes your time or artificially slows you down, and the mechanics are ROCK solid and get put through the wringer in a variety of scenarios. It's the perfect balance between gamey game and cinematic adventure-shooter.

Vire

What the hell are you smoking. Resident Evil 4 and The Last of Us are entirely different games. Resident Evil 4's strengths include weapon variety, top notch enemy encounters and scenarios, brisk pacing but good overall length, tons of different upgrade options, Tetris styled inventory management, and extremely well done boss fights.

The Last of Us is a terrific narrative experience with extremely polished gameplay. The Last of Us won't is a fantastic game but won't redefine anything, Resident Evil 4 was literally a game changer and one of the best designed action games of all time.

I'd argue it redefined and set a new bar for video game storytelling and voice acting.

But that has little to do with RE4.

god damnit I said I wouldn't do this

LaNaranja

I played RE4 when it came out and I deeply disliked it, it is a game I just don't get. I can't understand why people like it, it ruined RE from there on. RE5 feels exactly like RE4 but its a game that no one seem to like.

I liked RE5. It had the best mercenaries mode in the franchise.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Obligatory.

iZMHp4iKcSDXw.gif

UrbanRats

One of the most amazing games i've played.
The only disappointing thing for me were the boss fights, not as entertaining as other entries in the series.

what!? when was the last time you played it? in my recent playthrough the gameplay mechanics(aiming, moving,shooting...etc) were terrible compared to current TPS titles.

MormaPope

Banned
I'd argue it redefined and set a new bar for video game storytelling and voice acting.

But that has little to do with RE4.

god damnit I said I wouldn't do this

For something to redefine though other artists and creators have to follow the newly made footsteps. The Last of Us is a fantastic game with excellent narrative, but I don't see it's commercial and critical reception changing the videogame landscape.

It might not even be good for something to be redefined, but RE4 will always be the godfather of current third person action games.

Can we please just turn this into a RE4 vs Last of Us thread?

Only because I want to see Last of Us get its ass kicked.

I love TLOU.

It's just my opinion, but I played RE4 this gen and was rather disappointed by it. I can see how last gen it was completely revolutionary, but if somehow it came out this gen instead (and people were mysteriously completely insensitive to visuals /IQ to the point of not being able to tell the difference between games from different gens apart), I really don't know if it would have such a following. But hey.

(and there are games I did play across gens that blew me away much more than RE4 did).

REmake is such a superior experience, to bad Capcom made the game a GC exclusive and then compared its sales to RE4, a game that was also on PS2 and then concluded the later was the way the series should go (even tho on the GC both games sold very close even with RE4 being a new game with much more market behind it).

ps: Salazar is so ridiculous, the entire game makes no sense if you stop and think about it.
what!? when was the last time you played it? in my recent playthrough the gameplay mechanics(aiming, moving,shooting...etc) were terrible compared to current TPS titles.

Junior members these days.

Hypron

I've yet to play the game... It's quite annoying that there's no "definite" version of it. I'll still get the HD version at one point. I loved RE5 and finished it heaps of time so I owe it to myself.

EatChildren

I don't really see how. Movement is a little bit stiff, but that's about it. Current TPS emphasise mobility pretty heavily, alongside busy firefights, which is why they've built in snappy cover system, quick melee attacks, faster sprints, strafing, and so on. They're significantly faster paced than Resident Evil 4 for design reasons. Resident Evil 4 may be a product of its time, but it doesn't really need any of these advancements and additions made by modern TPS. Resident Evil 4 is the kind of game where you're supposed to be immobile when lining up shots, as it's built into the risk/reward of engaging opponents and the way encounters are designed. The mechanics still work pretty damn well for the kind of game it's trying to be.

Vire

The only thing and I mean only thing I don't like about Resident Evil 4 (aside from the cheesy story), is that I felt it dragged on for a little too long.

I just remember being absolutely spent after Ramon Salazar and yet the game kicked on for 6 or so more hours. Still, absolutely one of my favorite games of the last generation. I need to replay it one of these days, its been a long time.

Timmy00

I played it a few days ago. It all still feels so good. The shooting is still satisfying and I don't mind the tank controls, I never had a problem with them in general. It doesn't really feel aged at all imo.

Edit- Pretty much what everyone else says with it just being different. :p It may feel slow sometimes compared to other TPS but it's just how the game was designed and it all still feels really good to me.

Xtyle

REmake is such a superior experience, to bad Capcom made the game a GC exclusive and than compared its sales to RE4, a game that was also on PS2 and then concluded the later was the way the series should go (even tho on the GC both games sold very close even with RE4 being a new game with much more market behind it).

I actually quite liked REmake. It's a great game. The atmosphere is pretty freaking cool. I just the itch to play it again the other day. Playing it on Wii looks bad on my TV though which is annoying, though not the game's fault. I don't feel like it overall is as good as RE4 as a game. The gameplay is simply not as fluid as RE4's. But I think it is a different kind of game and I like it for that.

I feel RE5 maybe too close to RE4 for its own good. The environments and setting in that game are not comparable to RE4. I feel one area that made RE4 so good has a lot to do with it's settings and the enemy scripting, and then stuff like weapon upgrades/ vendor, etc...which was not in RE5.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's just my opinion, but I played RE4 this gen and was rather disappointed by it. I can see how last gen it was completely revolutionary, but if somehow it came out this gen instead (and people were mysteriously completely insensitive to visuals /IQ to the point of not being able to tell the difference between games from different gens apart), I really don't know if it would have such a following. But hey.

(and there are games I did play across gens that blew me away much more than RE4 did).

If it didn't come out until this gen we would be looking at a very different game landscape in general. While I get the argument of attachment, it's hard to ignore the splash specific games make being vital on top of their own quality.

I actually quite liked REmake. It's a great game. The atmosphere is pretty freaking cool. I just the itch to play it again the other day. Playing it on Wii looks bad on my TV though which is annoying, though not the game's fault. I don't feel like it overall is as good as RE4 as a game. The gameplay is simply not as fluid as RE4's. But I think it is a different kind of game and I like it for that.

I feel RE5 maybe too close to RE4 for its own good. The environments and setting in that game are not comparable to RE4. I feel one area that made RE4 so good has a lot to do with it's settings and the enemy scripting, and then stuff like weapon upgrades/ vendor, etc...which was not in RE5.

I still enjoyed RE5 a lot, but it didn't have anywhere near the precise pacing or excellent encounter design. It very much felt like it was made by people who didn't understand what made it all click. The way they handled the persistent inventory baffles me to this day, so if I would load the game up now I am pretty sure I am decked out in ridiculously overpowered weapons with no way to reset.

No, not terrible, just different. Within its own rules the game is still extremely tight, and balanced for all the weaknesses (like no strafing and tank movement).

If the game came out this gen, it would still be the epitome of its genre.

Top Bottom