• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 remake the best remake ever?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I am a Resident Evil 4 master. I have played the game on my original platinum gamecube all the way through a couple of times, Then played it again on my xbox, 360, Then played it again on My Wii, then I just recently played through it again in VR on the Quest 2. Needless to say, I have a little experience with the game. I have just recently played through the remake and only tried it because it was a birthday gift. I was going to pass on this because I believed it was some lazy cash grab releasing this game yet again. Holy shit I was wrong.

*Graphics are awesome. They took this old game and really put some modern shine on it. The lighting is just superb along with the attention to detail. Shadows bouncing off the wall, beautiful reflecitons in room just filled with detail, I felt no drop in framerate or slowdown. The character models are also top notch. Monsters and baddies are super high detailed

*Gameplay has been upgraded. It feels familiar yet new. Maybe it's because I am playing it at 60fps for the first time but it feels like a different game. Weapons have weight, the Dualsense controllers trigger button retention makes guns feel different. Animation has been greatly improved. Its not perfect but the game feels fantastic.

*Sound is also superb: Great music along with creepy sound effects. Voice acting has also been improved dramatically. Just awesome.

*Some good quality of life changes: Some items and missions have been changed. Some things feel much better and flow better with the game.

Kudos to Capcom and the team that made this remake. They clearly cared about the quality of their work and put a ton of detail in the game. My favorite modern remake so far.

RaduN

In my opinion:

1. Overall Re4 original was better and much more impactful (and it had way way better direction/animations/acting/self awareness in the story/cutscenes). Re4 Remake seems to have been made by Capcom B-team.
2. Re2 Remake is better than 4 Remake. Everything about the remake is an improvement over the orriginal.

Still, 4 Remake is a fantastic game in its own right, with stupid flaws that shouldn't have existed, especially coming from Capcom.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
They changed a lot about the game even including new enemies like crimson head and if I remember correctly new story and boss fight with Lisa was exclusive to the remake.
If true then I rememberd wrong. I haven't played it in nearly 20 years but do not remember any big changes.

Rran

I don't think it can be considered the best remake if it's not better than the game it's a remake of. RE1 remake and Metroid Zero Mission would probably be my top contenders.

RE4make is still great, don't get me wrong. Nice additions to the story, polished visuals, and some cool reworking of the setpieces. But it's not nearly as tight to play as the original -- Leon kind of slides all over and the aiming is clunky.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It is the best Remake.

And I’m saying this as someone who considered the original RE4 (which I played countless times on virtually every platform it was ever released) as best game ever made for the largest part of my life.

RE1 Remake will always remain one of the best games ever made but now with Separate Ways released we should stop fooling ourselves… Capcom surpassed themselves.

90% of the people in here saying it’s not the better Remake didn’t like RE4 in the first place.

Last edited:

Madflavor

It’s definitely up there as one of the best, but I’d give it to REmake.

That game is a work of art. Every area in REmake looks like a goddamn painting. I’ve yet to see a Survival Horror game absolutely nail the dark haunting atmosphere as REmake did.

Ferdimage

Thanks for bringing up this topic, finished RE4R and was not that satisfied compared to RE2R.
Just about to finish Alan Wake 2, and just reinstalled RE1 HD on my backlog.

We have been fed well this year with horror games!

KiteGr

RE2 remake butchered the 2nd scenarios, making them filled with inconsistencies in a single run.
RE3 remake cut out most of the game, and somehow made Nemesis worse than the Tyrant from RE2.
RE4 remake was very close to the original but they lost the originallity it's gameplay had at the time. Also the Seperate Ways scenario that was cut and sold seperatelly as DLC. (AKA "I'll wait for the gold edition")

RE1 remake was the only one where you can say they improved it in every consevable way, added amazing mechanics and new content, cutted nothing and all that just one generation later.

So no. REmake was the best remake of the RE series, and perhaps gaming in general.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
What I was saying about RE4 remake or predicting it has been reflected in this thread. RE4 Remake is a good game but will never match the original and the first remake is still the best.

Seperate Ways is better than the original games.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't think it is. It's a great game, but I still prefer how the original plays. A few of my personal reasons:

The remake tends to create situations where you can die through no fault of your own because you got wombo combo'd by Ganados.

The aim zooms in the FOV, which puts you at further risk of the above. I modded this on PC and it instantly made the entire game better. It made a huge difference.

Enemies are a bit spongey when it comes to stunning, even from headshots. This is a holdover from 2R, but it fits in that game because it doesn't swarm you and it's a lot slower. 4 is pure action, and again with the above issues you need that for balance. 4 isn't a game where you tend to get opportunities to focus your wobbly aim for a critical shot like you did in 2, but they act like it is.

As with some of the other remakes, Professional disables auto saves, which by itself wouldn't be too bad if the game didn't make you suffer cheap deaths.

The game timer doesn't stop when you die, and they haven't fixed this yet even though it's been happening since 2R. You will be playing and dying on your 15 save S+ rank run, and you'd think that being forced to pick up a a manual save would logically reset the timer to the point of the save. Nope. Didn't realise they didn't bother fixing that, so because I didn't quit to main menu and reload from there my first S+ failed. What's more annoying is that this can be fixed on PC with a mod, so it's not like it's impossible.

With all of the above, higher difficulties don't feel like a test of skill there for players who love the game, but instead a test of patience, luck, and attrition.

Wesker in Mercenaries mode though, now that's fun. Possibly more fun than original Wesker, although I'm not sure about that.

If we are taking Separate Ways as a separate analysis, aside from the fundamental issues like aim zoom everything is better in the remake. A very well put together piece of work and even the voice acting improved over the base game. I had no problem paying for that great content.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The best remakes are the FIFA
Sad Koala GIF

Or maybe the 3DS versions of OoT and MM?

Last edited:

Field

It was alright up until the island section then I just wanted to be over with it. I feel like I’m weird for not liking this game more, it is getting so much love. I thought it was super cartoony with boring story and characters. And too much action for how the controls are on consoles. Remake of the first game is still my favourite remake.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No, even the 2 remake is better. 4's still good but that game didn't even need remaking. It feels like a sidegrade.

Resident Evil Remake and Metroid Zero Mission are the best remakes, and the only ones I’d say supplant their original versions.

-Stay true to the original in terms of content
-Adds content not in the original that fits
-The graphics make it hard to go back to the original.

RE4/2 remakes cut parts of the originals, but also add some new things, so each is a mixed bag depending on how much you enjoy each of those cut/added sections/things. It makes it hard to see them as anything other than sidegrades.

Eimran

Definitely the best Remake for me this year.
They made it with respect to the original and the fans.

If you compare it with disgustingly lazy cash grabs like Rockstar's GTA Trilogy remaster and the MGS Collection it was a masterpiece.

The fact that a remake of a PS2/Gamecube game in a year in which games like Baldur's Gate 3, Spiderman 2, Alan Wake 2, Zelda TOTK, Mario Bros released says a lot.

SaintALia

I think it deviates too much from the spirit of the original honestly, but great game in it's own right. I don't have a list of 'best remakes ever' handy, but I'd give it to Re1 over Re4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom